Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 03-27-2020, 06:59 PM   #1
sondance
Human being with feelings

Default record digital piano in stereo

how do I hook up my digital piano's (Yamaha P-115) line outs R&L to my HP laptop running Reaper (Win7) so the piano is recorded in
stereo?
sondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 07:38 PM   #2
DVDdoug

Most laptops don't have line inputs. They usually only have mic-in (usually mono) and headphone out.

You'll probably need a USB audio interface with line inputs.
DVDdoug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 07:42 PM   #3
sondance

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDdoug View Post
Most laptops don't have line inputs. They usually only have mic-in (usually mono) and headphone out.

You'll probably need a USB audio interface with line inputs.
Thanks! If I get the interface will Reaper recognize the stereo input via the USB ? and send right to one channel and left to another channel?

also I have a Blue Yeti mic with a stereo mode. It hooks up to eh SB. Is there a way to get Reaper to so the same thing (set up r & L channels) for the mic?
Old 03-28-2020, 03:18 AM   #4
Geoff-h3o

Yes: preferences (ctl + P) > Audio device, select your mic.
Geoff-h3o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:24 AM   #5
martifingers

And as you are a keyboard player I reckon you could do fine things with this recently released free LABS instrument:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cNou2maaAU
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 09:29 AM   #6
sondance

Default Laptop

will the laptop properly route the USB input from audio interface as stereo to Reaper?
Old 03-28-2020, 11:25 AM   #7
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sondance View Post
will the laptop properly route the USB input from audio interface as stereo to Reaper?
what does this mean?
if you have a stereo source plugged correctly into a stereo interface and you route it correctly in Reaper, you will record a stereo track, if that's what you are asking
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 01:04 PM   #8
sondance

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
what does this mean?
if you have a stereo source plugged correctly into a stereo interface and you route it correctly in Reaper, you will record a stereo track, if that's what you are asking
how can I verify if I plug a stereo source into the laptop using a USB connection that the sound card in the laptop will pass along two "tracks" for Reaper to recognize?
Old 03-28-2020, 03:38 PM   #9
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sondance View Post
how can I verify if I plug a stereo source into the laptop using a USB connection that the sound card in the laptop will pass along two "tracks" for Reaper to recognize?
your question doesn't really make sense. You need to plug an interface into your laptop, which may use a USB connection. You need to ensure that this interface is capable of stereo.
You can verify this in reaper by monitoring & checking the left & right channels that you wish to record.
Old 03-28-2020, 03:40 PM   #10
domzy

do you have a particular USB interface in mind that you intend to use?
Pretty much all of them are stereo i would think, but if you check the specs or state the make and model here, it'll be pretty easy to verify.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:29 PM   #11
sondance

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
do you have a particular USB interface in mind that you intend to use?
Pretty much all of them are stereo i would think, but if you check the specs or state the make and model here, it'll be pretty easy to verify.
I can read specs so I can verify whatever audio interface I get will have stereo capability. BUT if Reaper does not see a stereo input how do I know if it is because the laptop is unable to process a stereo input from the USB or because Reaper is not setup properly.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:20 PM   #12
domzy

if you are using a stereo interface and reaper is not seeing a stereo input, then it must be because reaper is not set up properly. It hasn't got anything to do with whether your laptop is able or not, all laptops will be able - it depends on the interface and the software.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:28 PM   #13
Alistair S

I have a P-115.

I connect in one of two ways, depending on what I want to do.

First, I can connect to my laptop through the USB cable. This will send midi into Reaper and I can use a VSTi to get sounds (this could be a piano, synth, whatever). I use this most of the time.

I also have cables going from the L and R Aux out connections on the P-115 to separate line ins on my audio interface (FF400).

If I want to record the sounds from the P-115, I can either record from each of those line-ins on my interface to separate tracks or combine them as a stereo track when I select my inputs in Reaper (just as I can with any of the inputs on my audio interface).

Because my monitors are connected to my audio interface, this also lets me play the piano through the monitors.

Essentially, this is covered on page 23 of the manual where it discusses connections to external speakers. However, because you are going into inputs on your audio interface rather than directly to speakers, you can record what is going to those inputs in Reaper.

Last edited by Alistair S; 03-28-2020 at 09:44 PM.
Alistair S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 02:21 PM   #14
sondance

thanks everyone. I've verified Reaper gets a stereo input from the microphone in stereo mode. I've had troubles withe PC's not cooperating to record things well. This is one hurdle glad to have behind me. I'll pick up an audio interface next. Recommendations? Looking at the Focusrite Scarlet 2i2.
Old 03-29-2020, 02:24 PM   #15
sondance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair S View Post
I have a P-115.

I connect in one of two ways, depending on what I want to do.

First, I can connect to my laptop through the USB cable. This will send midi into Reaper and I can use a VSTi to get sounds (this could be a piano, synth, whatever). I use this most of the time.

I also have cables going from the L and R Aux out connections on the P-115 to separate line ins on my audio interface (FF400).

If I want to record the sounds from the P-115, I can either record from each of those line-ins on my interface to separate tracks or combine them as a stereo track when I select my inputs in Reaper (just as I can with any of the inputs on my audio interface).

Because my monitors are connected to my audio interface, this also lets me play the piano through the monitors.

Essentially, this is covered on page 23 of the manual where it discusses connections to external speakers. However, because you are going into inputs on your audio interface rather than directly to speakers, you can record what is going to those inputs in Reaper.
thanks Alistair, when you record MIDI does it capture dynamics as well as notes? Does Reaper have sounds to use or do you have to get additional plugins?
Old 03-30-2020, 12:29 AM   #16
Alistair S

Yes, it captures the performance, including dynamics.

Reaper doesn't come with much in the way of instruments. If you wanted to try a simple piano, you could try this free one ( https://www.audiopluginsforfree.com/...ssic-1-0-free/ ) - which includes a Yamaha Grand.
Alistair S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 05:08 PM   #17
sondance

thanks everyone. finally got a Scarlett 4i4 and it is working well.