Old 04-04-2020, 07:31 AM   #1
JeemBala
Human being with feelings

Default Help!

I am utterly mystified by something, so I am hoping someone can help. I recorded some projects only about a week ago--using a Focusrite gen 3 Scarlett 2i2 and my home computer--an ancient Dell with an intel 3 processor. The result--just a guitar and a vocal track recorded separately and a little reverb thrown in -- was good enough to be picked up by a local DJ, who played the song on his show twice.

Now, I am trying to use the same set up to do some more recording, but here is the thing: I can't seem to record a new track. I opened another project recorded about the same time, muted the existing vocal track, created a new track, armed it, tested the level, and tried to record. I sang the song all the way through, but when I replayed it there was nothing, and the little graphic showed no squiggly lines on that track, so evidently it didn't record what I sang--even though I heard it through my headphones and saw the little meter on the track responding.

What the hell is going on?
JeemBala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 09:45 AM   #2
solger
Human being with feelings

For testing purposes: is playback working with the Scarlett in Reaper (for instance of an Audio Item)?

Some general things:
  • Have you already rechecked the settings under Preferences > Audio > Device? Or tried to reselect the audio device, etc.?
  • If you're using the Direct Monitoring function on the Scarlett: have you already double-checked if the Track Input is set correctly (https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-...er-setup-guide)? **
  • Is the behavior the same in a fresh portable Reaper install (in a separate folder - next to your existing install)? http://lacinato.com/cm/blog/25-reaperportable
  • Does it make any difference when disconnecting the Scarlett, and then connecting it again?
  • Have you already tried if rebooting the computer makes any difference?
** for instance via Right-Click on the Track Record Arm button

Quote:
an ancient Dell with an intel 3 processor.
What operating system is running on the Dell?

Last edited by solger; 04-05-2020 at 02:55 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote