Old 09-26-2018, 07:10 PM   #1
knowledgeofself
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI recording

Whenever I record midi, reaper only starts recording when I press a key. Like if I put the cursor on bar 5 and press record a midi item/clip wont be recorded until a note-on is detected. This causes me to adjust items manually, zoom in and out to check if the clip itself started on the bar.

I know time selection (punch in/out) is the alternative to make sure a clip starts at a desired point but does anyone know what settings to tweak so clips/items are actually recorded on beat/grid?

I've searched and a lot of the posts i've seen were about quantization of notes in the editor or midi clock/timing issues. I'm just concerned about the behavior akin to when recording midi in ableton/FL/S1 where a clip is generated however late you press a key.
knowledgeofself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 11:33 PM   #2
azslow3

I guess you are using one of "Record: MIDI overdub/replace" modes. Switch to "Record: input (audio or MIDI)" (right click record arm button to select).
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 04:46 AM   #3
knowledgeofself

Quote:
Originally Posted by azslow3 View Post
I guess you are using one of "Record: MIDI overdub/replace" modes. Switch to "Record: input (audio or MIDI)" (right click record arm button to select).
Thank you! That was it, man, It's kind of odd why the behavior has to be different between overdub and input. It is what is though. Thank you again!
Old 09-27-2018, 09:41 AM   #4
azslow3

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeofself View Post
Thank you! That was it, man, It's kind of odd why the behavior has to be different between overdub and input. It is what is though. Thank you again!
As (almost) everything in REAPER, that part is working logically. When you overdub or replace, you ask to keep everything "as is" till you start playing. There can be some items or no items at all. The last case is what you have observed, REAPER has preserved the empty space till you have pressed the first key
Old 09-27-2018, 08:46 PM   #5
knowledgeofself

Quote:
Originally Posted by azslow3 View Post
As (almost) everything in REAPER, that part is working logically. When you overdub or replace, you ask to keep everything "as is" till you start playing. There can be some items or no items at all. The last case is what you have observed, REAPER has preserved the empty space till you have pressed the first key
Yeah. I mean I know what the diff between the two record modes it's just that compared to other daws it's different. The input or overdub or replace mode does not really dictate where an item or clip starts recording like in S1 or Ableton - the clip is just created where the cursor is so user doesnt have to switch modes. Anyway, not really saying it's not working logically. Just not used to the behavior in context of my workflow.
Old 09-28-2018, 12:28 AM   #6
azslow3

Yes, depends on habits. My previous DAW was Sonar, it creates MIDI clips like REAPER in overdub mode (and I do not remember any option to change that)