Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 02-17-2020, 11:24 AM   #1
nyaben
Human being with feelings

Default Stay with Windows 7 Pro or upgrade to Windows 10?

Should I be concerned about upgrading to Windows 10? I'm obviously losing support for Windows 7 and would go ahead and do the in place upgrade if it's not too painful.

I use a Behringer Uphoria UMC1820 interface and the driver indicates its support of Windows 10.

Any suggestions, advice, considerations for those who've made the jump?

Thanks much in advance!
nyaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 11:34 AM   #2
toleolu

How old is your computer?

The Windows 7 to Windows 10 "Upgrade" actually works pretty well, the main problem tends to be older hardware that may not play too well with 10. As I recall though, the upgrade does run a compatibility check that alerts you of any potential problems there.

Might be a good idea to either create a clone or a system image of your C: drive before you run the upgrade, just to be on the safe side.

Edit: Forgot to mention one other thing. One area where people run into trouble with the upgrade is if they are not running a legit activated version of 7 or they have gone in and done a lot of hacking in the registry and or system settings.

Last edited by toleolu; 02-17-2020 at 11:49 AM.
toleolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 12:45 PM   #3
Ether

If you have the daw on a win7 that is offline and extremely stable.
You will upgrade to a win10 that interfere with your windows usage and deliver bugs now and then.
If that don't mess with your creativity, go ahead.
Ether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 06:18 PM   #4
Peterk312

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether View Post
If you have the daw on a win7 that is offline and extremely stable.
You will upgrade to a win10 that interfere with your windows usage and deliver bugs now and then.
If that don't mess with your creativity, go ahead.
My thoughts on this too. I am still happily using Windows 7 on my PC that runs REAPER but also connects to the Internet and would not upgrade to Windows 10.
Peterk312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 07:18 PM   #5
billybuck

Having just completed a work project that involved me upgrading 83 workstations from Win 7 to 10 -- many of them containing specialty software and hardware, including modern engineering CAD programs as well as ancient apps employing old C+ libraries from the early 2000's -- I'd say that the 7 to 10 upgrade is not as scary as it seems. There were only four instances in which I had to reinstall any software post-upgrade, and all of those involved Microsoft products (!) specifically, older versions of Office.

Additionally, some of those workstations were almost a decade old and, on paper, not suitable for Win 10, such as dual-core processors with only 4 Gb of RAM. The users of these machines surprised me with reports of subjectively *faster* performance with Win 10.

That said, this was in a business environment in which we didn't have a choice, due to the security vulnerabilities of Win 7 no longer receiving updates beyond last month. There were 0 new features in 10 my company needed or wanted; it was purely a forced upgrade to stay current. Most upgrades took about 2 hours to perform, plus an additional 30 minutes afterward to delete all the unnecessary bloatware.

To sum up, I'd say if the computer isn't connected to the net, there's no reason to fix what ain't broke--stick with 7. If it is connected, I'd go ahead and do the upgrade. Note also that as long as your existing Win7 is a legitimate copy, you don't have to pay for the upgrade and can download the upgrade tool from MS' site for free.
billybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 02:04 PM   #6
nyaben

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybuck View Post
Note also that as long as your existing Win7 is a legitimate copy, you don't have to pay for the upgrade and can download the upgrade tool from MS' site for free.
billybuck, I do have legitimate copy of Win 7 Professional. Where do you find the free upgrade? I've looked and could not locate.
Old 02-18-2020, 09:57 AM   #7
Lucian

I am in the same position. I am still running a delta-66 on Win7. I use ecollegepc.com and just got an I7 with a mobo that has a pci slot so I am good for now. I am currently saving up for better pre-amps maybe in a 500 series cabinet. Anyway, check out that website, the web manager helped me pickout an extra quiet fan and damped case.
Old 02-18-2020, 02:03 PM   #8
nyaben

Thanks for all the replies!
Old 02-18-2020, 02:04 PM   #9
Ether

Maybe we win7 users get lucky?
MS has revealed their intent, for win10, to change the code that windows is based upon.
Free Software Foundation have sent MS the petition signatures to ask them to make win7 open source. There's about 13.000 names on the petition.

It's pretty clear to me that when you change the codebase for something that intricate as a OS it's going to be a little bit messy.
I don't like to be a lab rat.

Then there's the thing about the future...
I would state that win10 is not a step forward. It is a step sideways.

Think different. Don't always compact future pc's. Make separate boxes for the net connected and the creative working pc. The boxes should have only one completely new sort of connection that keep shit out, and don't intrude, on the creative working pc.
Ether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 06:35 PM   #10
CEART

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucian View Post
I am in the same position. I am still running a delta-66 on Win7. ////
Is not there Windows 10 drivers for (M-Audio) Delta 44/66/1010? I have a Delta-44 in a aux PC with Win7.
CEART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 06:43 PM   #11
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEART View Post
Is not there Windows 10 drivers for (M-Audio) Delta 44/66/1010? I have a Delta-44 in a aux PC with Win7.
Nope, the dont have win10 drivers
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 02:14 PM   #12
nyaben

Quote:
Originally Posted by toleolu View Post
How old is your computer?
It's a Dell Inspiron 620 with i5-2310 processor @ 2.9GHz with 8 GB RAM.
Old 02-18-2020, 03:46 PM   #13
Philbo King

Sticking with Win7 till I find a Linux distro that'll work on my PC (3 monitors, 2 video cards).
So far no luck.

Or maybe I'll just replace it; it's almost 12 years old.
Old 02-24-2020, 05:46 PM   #14
Pinknoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo King View Post
Sticking with Win7 till I find a Linux distro that'll work on my PC (3 monitors, 2 video cards).
So far no luck.

Or maybe I'll just replace it; it's almost 12 years old.
I tried many and mainboard GPU + Geforce 1030Ti had been hit and miss with many distros. Best distro for my situation so far is Xubuntu. Or Ubuntu also but I prefer XFCE desktop.
Pinknoise is offline   Reply With Quote