Old 12-25-2016, 01:13 PM   #1
MikComposer
Human being with feelings

Default Scale UI

Yeah,

Maybe this feature already exists, but If not, although I wouldn't want that to be a priority, I thought, that maybe everyone would benefit from having a global ui scalier: one slider with witch you adjust interface scale.
Old 12-25-2016, 01:41 PM   #2
Lokasenna

Options | Preferences | General | Advanced UI/system settings | Scale UI elements by...

It doesn't affect everything - plugin interfaces stay the same size, I think - so it may not get you what you want.
Old 12-25-2016, 01:56 PM   #3
MikComposer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
Options | Preferences | General | Advanced UI/system settings | Scale UI elements by...

It doesn't affect everything - plugin interfaces stay the same size, I think - so it may not get you what you want.
Thanks. I don't mind plugins interface staying the same, but the feature itself doesn't really work, does it? Scaled down interface gets tad messy, with elements being scaled down not proportionally, and with some font being not readable, and other font not being changed. And the rulers don't scale at all. I'm using one of the custom themes, and maybe it works properly on original theme, but I think scalier should work just like scaling in web browsers, where things in general being zoomed in and out, scaled proportionally, and even if it would still require restarting reaper.
Old 12-25-2016, 02:05 PM   #4
Lokasenna

In part it's because Reaper's interface is built from .pngs, so scaling them up and down will never look as good as their original size.

Font scaling is going to be largely dependent on the font itself, since size 10 isn't the same pixel size from font to font, etc. There may not be an appropriate size for a given font to be scaled to, or the next size down might get all messy and unreadable.

It's a common complaint, but I wouldn't hold my breath about it being fixed if I were you.
Old 12-25-2016, 02:13 PM   #5
MikComposer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
In part it's because Reaper's interface is built from .pngs, so scaling them up and down will never look as good as their original size.

Font scaling is going to be largely dependent on the font itself, since size 10 isn't the same pixel size from font to font, etc. There may not be an appropriate size for a given font to be scaled to, or the next size down might get all messy and unreadable.

It's a common complaint, but I wouldn't hold my breath about it being fixed if I were you.
Yeah, i wouldn't even mind the fonts (although automatic switch to something like verdana when fonts are 8px or less would be enough ), and the fact that small png look the way the look, but it's the issue of dimensions not scaling properly, that could have been fixed.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:53 AM   #6
milosh

Hi Is Cockos working on it?
I just bought 14 inch lenovo laptop for mobile DAW.
When i scale windows 10 do 150% reaper looks blurry
milosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:00 AM   #7
MaXyM

Assuming you are on Windows (Windows 10 specifically)
At first enable HighDPI support; you can find the selector on the same preferences page as Scale UI. This will make UI elements rendered by the system (menus and fonts) sharp.

Scaling TCP/MCP is another animal.
1. Scale UI works only for themes which has no global_scale set
2. If theme can be affected by scale UI, you have to expect a bit blurred gfx. Its not critical though. Fonts will be still sharp.
2. If theme has global_scale set, you have to remove or edit this entry. however most themes are not intended to be scaled (due to some inconsistencies in theming engine)

Please note, changing UI scale requires application restart to apply.

If you want, try my theme which is designed to be scaled. In linked thread you can also read about scaling related Reaper issues.
MaXyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:10 AM   #8
milosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXyM View Post
Assuming you are on Windows (Windows 10 specifically)
At first enable HighDPI support; you can find the selector on the same preferences page as Scale UI. This will make UI elements rendered by the system (menus and fonts) sharp.

Scaling TCP/MCP is another animal.
1. Scale UI works only for themes which has no global_scale set
2. If theme can be affected by scale UI, you have to expect a bit blurred gfx. Its not critical though. Fonts will be still sharp.
2. If theme has global_scale set, you have to remove or edit this entry. however most themes are not intended to be scaled (due to some inconsistencies in theming engine)

Please note, changing UI scale requires application restart to apply.

If you want, try my theme which is designed to be scaled. In linked thread you can also read about scaling related Reaper issues.
Thank you!
Enabling HighDPI made a huge difference. Fonts are sharp now. I'll try your theme.
cheers
milosh is offline   Reply With Quote