Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 01-06-2020, 02:29 AM   #41
synkrotron
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas_LCS View Post
LOL
Then I'll change that to good job on making it functional. ;D

::
Ah, yes!

"Functional" is a much closer word to describe my theme
Old 01-06-2020, 02:40 AM   #42
synkrotron

Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulshade View Post
Thank you for all this! Really, a great help for all of us that want to start creating new themes.
Thank you, I sure hope that it is

Quote:
I got a noob question: Is the whole code of rtconfiq in this pdf?
A good question.

I went through the whole of the rtconfig file and checked that each line was included in the "Explained" document.

There were a couple of errors, which I have now fixed.

And I realised that I had missed out explanations of the TCP and MCP Divider Tracks. I have put that to rights too.

I have updated the PDF file so you may re-download that if your wish.

It is now a massive 49 pages, but I have reproduced the entire rtconfig code at the end of the document.

I did intend to add more notes and comments throughout that document but I ran out of time (and patience) so whoever picks this up will have to use the existing official documentation alongside it.

Let me know if you come across any issues.

I have also, FWIW, uploaded a copy of the theme to the REAPER Stash. So if you wish you can now download that and have a mess with it in REAPER.

https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/2427/S...ReaperThemezip

Last edited by synkrotron; 01-06-2020 at 04:10 AM.
synkrotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:36 AM   #43
b0se

Congrats on the release dude!
Old 01-06-2020, 09:08 AM   #44
synkrotron

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Congrats on the release dude!

Thanks

Not exactly a great release, of course. Amd some Smooth Dood is taking all the limelight

According to the stats for the stash SimpleSix has had 24 downloads... I hope they're not too disappointed haha!!
Old 01-06-2020, 12:26 PM   #45
Soulshade

@synkrotron I took the liberty of creating two sheets from your .pdf's

1. Image List: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
I find it easier to search, mark, add info and filter images based, for example, on the area i'm working with this sheet.

2. SimpleSix_Explained: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Also easier to navigate through sections. When any change is made, simply select/copy columns A and B, paste them to the text editor and save as rtconfig.txt

Anyone can download the sheets, but -most importantly- anyone can leave a comment too. I'll check them everyday and update the sheets if something useful is proposed for adding or correcting.
I hope people here find it useful.
Once again thank you for your work! Oh, and please add a link to your theme in stash in your first post!
Soulshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 01:12 PM   #46
synkrotron

Amazing @Soulshade

You have been busy I see

In the image list, would it be possible to freeze the top line? That option is greyed out at the moment.

I've added a comment just to see how it works.

Do you think you will find that stuff useful?

I was a bit worried that my rather minimal layout would put people off. Like leaving the fader off the master track, for instance. I never use it and leave it set to 0dB so I thought I might as well leave the fader off the panel design.

Let me know how you get on. Either post here or create your own and I will follow what you are up to.

I wouldn't be surprised it you quickly move on to the more advanced stuff...

As you have suggested, I have put a link to the stash in my original post.

cheers

andy
Old 01-06-2020, 02:33 PM   #47
Soulshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by synkrotron View Post
In the image list, would it be possible to freeze the top line? That option is greyed out at the moment.

I've added a comment just to see how it works.
Both requests resolved Though i didn't see a comment in the Image List.

Quote:
Do you think you will find that stuff useful?

I was a bit worried that my rather minimal layout would put people off. Like leaving the fader off the master track, for instance. I never use it and leave it set to 0dB so I thought I might as well leave the fader off the panel design.
I find it incredibly useful!!! Especially for this "secret project" i am working on
I too prefer minimal layouts. Just the basics, ie in my custom theme i removed from the MCP everything that has to do with recording, as i use Reaper only for mixing/mastering.
Someone can build up a more complex theme easily from your theme, your config file and the pdf's. I tried numerous to analyse the Default theme but i find it intimidating and very time consuming. The only thing i'm missing is the MONO button in the Master MCP, which is extremely useful when mixing/mastering, but now i can easily place it myself!

Quote:
Let me know how you get on. Either post here or create your own and I will follow what you are up to.
I don't want o hijack this thread mate! Check your pm's!
Soulshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 02:45 PM   #48
Judders

Quote:
Hi WT

Yeah, more than likely. I've not used Affinity that much and I'm generally going with the defaults. I need to suss that out but in the meantime it's easier to whack an image into Gimp to make sure those pink and yellow lines are to spec. Only takes another minute or so...

Ah, so you have heard of it then?

I only happened across it when I was trying to design custom decals for the racing game Gran Turismo. I needed something that would save files as SVG. I tried Inkscape but found it a bit limiting (to me anyway). So I searched for other vector graphics packages and found Affinity Designer.

Much too powerful for my basic needs but it is always handy having a vector graphics tool around
I just started using Affinity, as I've got regular work that requires vectors now. Before I would use Anime Studio, as I had it lying around and it had easy, intuitive drawing tools.

Affinity is pretty good, it's been so many years since I used Illustrator that I don't remember what I'm missing. Some areas are still lacking though - no vector pattern fill like cross-hatch has been a bummer that I'm still trying to find a workaround for.

Still, compared to what I would spend for years of subscription for Illustrator, I'm more than happy with it.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 05:34 PM   #49
synkrotron

Hiya Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
I just started using Affinity, as I've got regular work that requires vectors now.
For me, vectors works much better when creating stuff that is only 19 pixels square. I found that I was faffing far too much in Gimp doing stuff at pixel level.

I still have a few issues with some of the exports to PNG from Affinity and it will create something that is quite blurry at times. But still easier than faffing in Gimp.

[quote
Before I would use Anime Studio, as I had it lying around and it had easy, intuitive drawing tools.[/quote]

I haven't heard of that one. Just googled it and it looks okay.

Quote:
Affinity is pretty good, it's been so many years since I used Illustrator that I don't remember what I'm missing. Some areas are still lacking though - no vector pattern fill like cross-hatch has been a bummer that I'm still trying to find a workaround for.

Still, compared to what I would spend for years of subscription for Illustrator, I'm more than happy with it.
I've never used Illustrator and by the time I got into this kind of stuff it had gone down the subscription route, and not cheap either, especially if you're not doing paid work.

I used to use Corel Draw way back when but when I tried it again more recently I found I didn't like it for some reason.

Affinity seemed relative cheap and after trialling it for a short period I decided it was best for what I needed to do.

It's amazing what proper artists can do with the likes of Illustrator and Affinity... No way I'm ever going to get to that stage.

My avatar here was done with a combination of AutoCAD to get the font and text sorted, which I exported to DXF. That had to be dragged into Inkscape because Affinity will not import DXF files. But I don't like Inkscape so much but it gave me an SVG file which I could then import into Affinity. Then the flame effect in the middle was created in JWildfire flame fractal generator. All assembled and exported to a pixel image.

Quite a faff that one!
Old 01-06-2020, 06:21 PM   #50
synkrotron

I got bored of making music so I thought I'd move my theme on a bit.

Just concentrating on the MCP for now.

Layout, including UI element size are the same, as is the WALTER code. This is just graphic tweaks.

I'm trying a generally black button style.

While the Mute and Solo is off then it is a black button with red or yellow text. Then when you mute or solo that reverses.

The Solo Defeat icon is now black on white.

The recording mode button is now black with white text, except for Off, which is red text. Not sure of that is right... Perhaps the On should be green, red for Off and white for Out.

Monitor button is black with white text and my little speaker icon is white for off, green for on and blue for auto. Looking at the "IN" graphic, I think that is a bit too bold compared to the "OUT" and "OFF" graphic.

The record arm button has to be shades of red, I suppose, but I removed the black border.

The Phase button is a slightly annoying one. I am going to say that, seeing as the Mute and Solo buttons are a black background when off then the Phase is going to be "normal" when black with white phase icon and "inverted" when white background with black phase icon. It is the best I can come up with with this "flat" concept.

I've faffed with the pan knob... I didn't like the last one as I thought the 1px wide border looked a bit fuzzy. For this one I created a series of rings starting off with a 2px thick outer border then each ring inside of that getting smaller by pixel and a lighter grey each time. I probably went a bit too far with that...

I'm not sure what to do with the group of buttons/widgets at the top. They kind of work as they are as then never had a black border to start with. But I could experiment with the back background and white text for those buttons too. Might work... Might not.

I think I should get to bed...
Old 01-07-2020, 04:27 AM   #51
synkrotron

More faffing completed this morning.

Results:-

I've now made that little group of buttons above the pan knob to have a black background and white/coloured text.

The IO button now has clear separation between its two parts. The upper part provides the status and the lower part is the button.

Is that blue "S" a bit too dark? Probably needs lightening up a touch...

And I've somehow gone all "sexy" with the fader thumb control. Well compared to the original flat version. I think it now matches the same principle of the pan knob with a black outer edge which fades to a white inner.

I think I will have a look at the settings of the Extended Mixer section next. I think that now needs to follow the same black background with white text theme.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:49 AM   #52
synkrotron

I am now thinking that the fader and pan knobs look wrong in a design that is predominantly flat. So they are going to have to go...
Old 01-08-2020, 04:00 AM   #53
b0se

Quote:
I am now thinking that the fader and pan knobs look wrong in a design that is predominantly flat. So they are going to have to go...
Agreed, the don't sit well. Keep it flat
Old 01-08-2020, 04:16 AM   #54
synkrotron

Quote:
Agreed, the don't sit well. Keep it flat
Done

And I am part way through messing around with the TCP:-

As I sit here looking at it I am wondering if it is all too "high contrast" now.

Blimey, it ain't easy this graphic design stuff...
Old 01-08-2020, 05:02 AM   #55
b0se

Quote:
Done

And I am part way through messing around with the TCP:-

As I sit here looking at it I am wondering if it is all too "high contrast" now.

Blimey, it ain't easy this graphic design stuff...
Mucho better :¬)

Red and grey aren't often paired on UIs due to legibility. Those TCP folder outlines are hard to see.

Either try a bright/white pastel red or fill the whole folder (drop the stroke) with 75% white or something around there.
Old 01-08-2020, 05:50 AM   #56
synkrotron

Quote:
Mucho better :¬)

Red and grey aren't often paired on UIs due to legibility. Those TCP folder outlines are hard to see.

Either try a bright/white pastel red or fill the whole folder (drop the stroke) with 75% white or something around there.
Thanks, b0se, and thanks for the pointers. I'll try that out.
Old 01-08-2020, 06:58 AM   #57
synkrotron

Quote:
Those TCP folder outlines are hard to see.
Not sure what to do about this one, apart from making the border wider.

Currently the black border is 1px wide and, as per the V5 default, on the bottom edge only.

I could try adding a 1px border all the way round therefore making the border where TCP tracks touch totals 2px.

Colours wise, I am thinking of opening a new topic to try to engage more theme developers. I am pretty certain that only small percentage of theme developers check on what I am doing.

cheers

andy
Old 01-08-2020, 12:07 PM   #58
b0se

Quote:
Not sure what to do about this one, apart from making the border wider.

Currently the black border is 1px wide and, as per the V5 default, on the bottom edge only.

I could try adding a 1px border all the way round therefore making the border where TCP tracks touch totals 2px.

Colours wise, I am thinking of opening a new topic to try to engage more theme developers. I am pretty certain that only small percentage of theme developers check on what I am doing.

cheers

andy
In that case just try a 1px border for the folder, full white. It'll match the rest of the theme that way and be a lot easier to spot :¬)
Old 01-08-2020, 02:38 PM   #59
synkrotron

Quote:
In that case just try a 1px border for the folder, full white. It'll match the rest of the theme that way and be a lot easier to spot :¬)
I'm a numpty.

Re-reading your post again, regarding the folder, and I realise now that I was thinking of the TCP.

So when you say "folder," what do you mean? The folder button, which is currently red on a grey background with a 1px border?

Sorry
Old 01-14-2020, 12:57 PM   #60
synkrotron

Default Simple Six V2

Okay, I really do think I am done now with this.

I have just finished a "major update," taking my Simple theme up to V2.

Quite a few elements have been re-done.

I have also taken some time to create new toolbar button icons, just for the ones that I use. That includes toolbar buttons for the MIDI Editor window.

The MIDI Editor window has also had its elements updated so that the default elements are no longer used.

The Routing window has new buttons too and I have darkened things up a bit.

Here are a couple of images. Apologies for posting full size versions. If you use V5 version of the forum then please right-click on an image and view in new tab to see the full size version.

TCP:-

MCP:-

MIDI Editor:-

Routing I/O:-

Having previewed my post I realise that I haven't shown each and every element. So if anyone would like to see something in particular then please ask.

Again, as I have mentioned a number of times in this topic, this theme has been developed to suit my own somewhat unorthodox way of working.

I am also experimenting with NOT having indents for child tracks in the TCP or MCP. While I have been developing my method of folder representation I tried setting the indent to zero and I really liked how everything lined up in the TCP. I know that it is possible to use WALTER to use indents and still line up stuff, but I have yet to look into that.

I have not uploaded this to stash and unless there is enough interest here it will remain that way.

And I haven't taken the time to update my "Explained" document. It would simply take too long and I really do need to get back to creating my boring ambient stuff.

Thanks to everyone who has been following my theming exploits. And big thanks to everyone who has helped me along the way. I couldn't have progressed to this point without you.

cheers

andy
Old 01-18-2020, 01:32 PM   #61
synkrotron

As I'm making yet another sweep through all my images I decided to tackle something that has been bugging me and couldn't suss out.

I don't really like the V6 default slot for the fader, or the V5 for that matter. In the end, because I couldn't work out the relationship between the mcp_volbg image and its associated images for the meter and the fader, I decided to use the "naked" version, which gave me this:-

Note that the slot for the fader is a 3px wide grey line.

I wasn't sure what I wanted, really, just not the V6 and V5 thin dark line.

I also don't like the way that the fader slot background is tinted when there is automation on the track. Not the tint itself, but the width of it. This is V5 but V6 is similar:-

So I had a bash and created a new mcp_volbg image:-

and I fattened up my fader a tiny bit:-

And this is how it now looks in the MCP:-

If automation is added to the track the tinting now looks like this:-

What is still bugging me is that I have to do a lot of trial and error stuff to make things fit together. I am hoping that one day I will be able to create images like this without going backwards and forwards changing pink line positions and moving stuff around.

I realise that I'm probably talking to myself by now, but if you did get this far, thanks for reading my stuff

cheers

andy
Old 01-20-2020, 04:18 PM   #62
hopi

keep talking .... it's good to hear you
Old 01-22-2020, 12:41 AM   #63
synkrotron

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
keep talking .... it's good to hear you
Thanks hopi

I took my Simple theme out for a test run on my Surface Pro yesterday. Started a new project and had a session lasting around four hours. All seems to be okay... No missing controls or controls in silly positions... Everything nice and clear, and simple.

So it's goodbye to the old V5 default theme and the new V6 default theme...

And hello to making music again, after nearly two months of WALTER and graphic work
Old 06-06-2021, 01:14 PM   #64
synkrotron

Hi, Peeps,

I bookmarked this post of mine, along with a few others, so that I could refer back to it in the future, if the need arose.

But on returning to it I find that all of my images have been stripped.

And yet, when I go to edit a post, which I know has images, the image code is still there. It just isn't showing the images for me.

has something changed with the forum software recently?

cheers

edit:-

I'm just copying a line from post #61 to see if it appears here

edit 2:-

strange... so, even though my image file is still on my website, and I use the correct image code, it does not show up here.

this is the code I am using, with additional spaces between the [ ] brackets so that the code shows here,

[ img ]http://synkrotron.co.uk/REAPER/SimpleSix/SSV2_MCP_007.PNG[ /img ]

Last edited by synkrotron; 06-06-2021 at 01:27 PM.
synkrotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 02:59 PM   #65
OakleyRdStudios

Hi Synkrotron

I have only just stumbled upon this post and have bookmarked it, so I can study it further.
Seeing a work in progress can be very helpful to budding themers, like myself. It's something I've been hoping for.

Myself, I am less suited to coding, so I do what I can, with what little understanding I have.
My ability lies more in the way of graphics. So, if I can be of any assistance to your projects, please let me know.
OakleyRdStudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 02:25 AM   #66
synkrotron

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakleyRdStudios View Post
Hi Synkrotron

I have only just stumbled upon this post and have bookmarked it, so I can study it further.
Seeing a work in progress can be very helpful to budding themers, like myself. It's something I've been hoping for.

Myself, I am less suited to coding, so I do what I can, with what little understanding I have.
My ability lies more in the way of graphics. So, if I can be of any assistance to your projects, please let me know.

Thank you

it's a shame that my images no longer appear to show, at least not at my end...