Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 06-30-2022, 04:58 PM   #1
msandhu
Human being with feelings

Default A plugin that changes the rate (speed/pitch) of the whole track??

So sometimes I like to change the playback rate of my overall track because I like the effect you get from slightly pitching something up or down

The issue I'm having is that when I change it in Reaper from the transport section certain elements of the track remain unchanged (for example a vocal with autotune or rewire track remains the same and ends up sounding off key)

Is there any plugin that I can put on the master channel that will change the rate of the whole track? Acid Pro used to have one called "Pitch Shift" that used to exactly what I'm after.

Any ideas?

Last edited by msandhu; 06-30-2022 at 05:47 PM.
msandhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 06:22 PM   #2
ErBird

You probably want to render the track, re-import the audio file, then adjust the rate.
Or possibly render just the autotuned tracks within the project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msandhu View Post
So sometimes I like to change the rate of my overall track
Quote:
Acid Pro used to have one called "Pitch Shift" that used to exactly what I'm after.

Any ideas?
Rate or pitch?
There's ReaPitch, but I believe you'll get a better sound using an offline process.
ErBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 06:40 PM   #3
msandhu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErBird View Post
You probably want to render the track, re-import the audio file, then adjust the rate.
Or possibly render just the autotuned tracks within the project.

I guess that's my issue - I want to be able to work on the song with the adjusted rate. At the moment I would have to render out all of my auto tuned tracks and my ReWire channel which is a bit of a pain to be honest. If I want to make any changes to them I'd have to go back and render again etc

I've searched endlessly for a VST that lets me do this. I'm really surprised I can't find one - it seems like a pretty basic thing to do. I believe the Acid Pro VST used to change the ratio because it would change both the speed and the pitch.
msandhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 07:00 PM   #4
ErBird

Quote:
I've searched endlessly for a VST that lets me do this.
To do what precisely? You can change pitch using ReaPitch, but there are always going to be artifacts/degradation from the FFT processing.

Changing rate and pitch simultaneously is an offline process, it's not really something you can do with a plugin afaik.

Quote:
I'm really surprised I can't find one - it seems like a pretty basic thing to do.
Whether it seems basic or not, the fact you can't find a plugin sort of indicates it's not basic or maybe even possible.
ErBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 07:53 PM   #5
ashcat_lt

Yeah no.

Does ReaTune let you adjust the tuning reference? You could definitely figure out how far it needs to go for a given rate change. You might be able to do something similar with whatever you’re Rewiring. It still probably won’t be exactly the same as rendering and then varispeed, but maybe it’ll be close enough?
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote