Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 07-06-2020, 10:52 PM   #1
JimmyTheSaint
Human being with feelings

Default resume MIDI after sleep and AudioFuse Studio off

I only use a DAW to mix and match sound module plugins that I play live via MIDI controller. I like to keep things as simple as possible since I don't use any of the DAW's functions beyond setting output levels and selecting MIDI input channels. For a long time, I had been able to close my MacBook Pro 16" with REAPER running, then open it later and resume without doing anything more. I also had speakers, MIDI interface, and an external sound module all on one power strip so that I just switch that on, open the computer, and continue where I left off.

For more flexible external mixing options, I recently got an Arturia AudioFuse Studio, and all its functions work as expected. When I resume after computer sleep and power strip switch off, however, REAPER fails to resume MIDI input. I have no errors or notifications from any module or software that's running, one of which performs MIDI routing so that I can verify that MIDI is coming in correctly. But no matter what I switch or wiggle in REAPER and its settings, MIDI from the IAC Driver simply doesn't play the sound modules loaded into the tracks until I quit and restart REAPER. After restarting REAPER, it just works, with no change to my project or settings. Is there a way to make REAPER re-recognize MIDI coming from the IAC Driver without quitting/restarting?

I don't know what the AudioFuse has to do with it, but it does have its own MIDI interface, so I've tried disabling that in REAPER. I've also tried setting tracks' MIDI input to "All MIDI inputs" to see if anything is coming through, but there's nothing until re-start.

Meanwhile, Logic Pro X displays a similar glitch. It also used to resume seamlessly after sleep and power strip off, but now it displays a message saying the audio interface previously used (the AudioFuse) isn't available. When I click "ok" to that dialog, it then automatically re-finds the audio interface and MIDI inputs and works without having to quit and restart. It's less convenient than before, but a lot better than having to quit/restart the app. I don't want to switch to Logic, though, because REAPER works much better and easier for me in the limited way I use a DAW.

If I leave the AudioFuse on 24/7, only sleeping and powering down all the other stuff, then I don't have the problem, but I don't want to leave it on 24/7. A few days, maybe, for convenience when I'm working on something, but I'd like to find a way to shut everything down and resume everything seamlessly with a button push. Any ideas how to get REAPER to resume MIDI in the presence of whatever AudioFuse has changed in my setup? I've gone through the AudioFuse's settings, but it's all audio and no MIDI. And nothing in MacOS's Audio MIDI Setup looks relevant.
JimmyTheSaint is offline   Reply With Quote