Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 06-16-2021, 12:14 AM   #1
for
Human being with feelings

Default guitar question - what made you more familiar with the fretboard?

what made you more familiar with the fretboard of guitar

so that you can be more sure what u're doing aand where you're going at a certain moment

thanks
for is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 02:16 AM   #2
grinder

Patterns played against a chord progression is a start also how to read music and learn the notes on your fretboard.
The sound/pitch of the notes and the name of the notes by pitch.
And an often forgotten skill perceiving where and why it is better as far as sound goes to play a note in one position when you have the option to play that note in several places and on different strings.

Tuning in your ears, if you start now will be greatly beneficial.
Finger exercises are beneficial, do scales but remember have periods where you "jam" and I don't mean play a normal song try to invent... chords or note sequences.
If you understand basic notes and you know the notes in particular chords you can play the chord/s you want in a lot of different places on a fretboard.
Do not overplay, as in sport if you practice a movement try to do it even if you do it slowly get it right if you do it wrong ten times and do it right 5 times you will most likely do it wrong when want to do it right.
Hey late at night must go don't be scared by my notes always be happy it helps. Great things really do take time and attitude.

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 03:24 AM   #3
martifingers

Hi for. It's a bit hard to answer that question as it depends on what stage of playing you are at. Are you familiar with the CAGED idea?
eg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-0c5QTQ8Q0

Can you play an E major scale of say, two octaves starting from the lowest available note ? How about G, A, B, C, D, F?

A friend suggested to me that a good test was to see if you could easily (and quickly!) identify all instances of a particular note. Eg B flat: 6th fret on 6 string/ 1st fret on 5th fret/ 8th fret 4th string etc etc) assuming standard tuning.

Again, knowing what you are doing or going requires knowledge of what you want to say and what the relevant scale/mode or system you are working within, the chord progression (if relevant) etc. Grinder's answer points the way and a zillion YT tutorials cater for specific genres.
martifingers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 03:41 AM   #4
Gibson_GM

Understand the major chords in 1st position. Then barre chords based on E and A strings. Then the common inversions of chords (the "D shape" up the neck). Understand what is happening between the notes in that basic "D shape" (intervals).

Pentatonic minor scales. Learn in 1st position, say in the key of A. backwards, forwards, in your sleep. Then 2nd, 3rd position, and so on. Then learn for all the notes. Learn where the root, 3rd, 5th of each position are. Then b3, b3 and so on.

Jump from 1st position to maybe the 4th one...jam. Over and over and over. Slowly build complexity and patterns (triplets etc...small runs, then longer ones, between positions). Move to other kinds of scales, doing the same. (suggest pentatonics because it will be more rapidly useful in general rock music, perhaps keeping someone more engaged. Major scales did crap for me til I was able to integrate them with other scales used more in popular music).

In time, the SOUND or FEEL of the interval will tell you what it is and you stop thinking "oh, where is the 3rd off this, I'm in the key of B...". You have to stop and think what you're doing to WRITE it or explain it to another, but the principles of what you're doing are sound.

Not too many guitarists bop around the 10th fret all 'note conscious'. SOME do, but many more know the basic relationships between root, 3, 5 based on patterns. Unless you're trying to be Steve Vai, I'd try to find some place that feels good and makes you happy. And allows you to communicate your ideas effectively My 2 cents.

Last edited by Gibson_GM; 06-16-2021 at 03:46 AM.
Gibson_GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 05:01 AM   #5
carbon

This is somewhat helpful:
Old 06-16-2021, 10:30 PM   #6
Bazzbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon View Post
This is somewhat helpful:

that is a good method,thanks for sharing