Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Video Editing/Mangling

Old 03-25-2021, 11:54 AM   #1
fuzzball
Human being with feelings

Default Decorative Oscilloscope with Blitter - Can the background be made transparent?

Decorative Oscilloscope with Blitter - Can the background be made transparent?

I'd like to display a video and in front of the video I'd like to overlay the Decorative oscilloscope, but I'd like to see the video clearly through the oscilloscope, just showing the dancing line over the video. Does anyone know if that's possible?

Also, I'd like to make the oscilloscope gradually fade away, but it seems that I can only abruptly turn it off. Is that possible?
fuzzball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 06:07 PM   #2
jrk

... you'd probably want to use another Video Processor, using Image Overlay preset.
Old 03-27-2021, 09:24 PM   #3
fuzzball

I've tried everything I can think of using Image Overlay, Track Opacity/zoom/pan, etc, and no matter what I do, when I make the oscilloscope "appear" in front of the video, as the oscilloscope becomes greater opacity (visibility) the video behind it darkens.

It's like the inherent property of the oscilloscope isn't just the dancing pixels but also the black screen upon which they dance... and bringing the dancing pixels into view blacks out whatever is behind it.

I'm looking for something akin to a "background transparency" quality for the oscilloscope.
Old 03-30-2021, 09:59 AM   #4
ashcat_lt

Yeah the background of the Oscope is totally overwritten with whatever colors you choose, and is not and cannot really be separated without kind of rewriting the preset.

One thing you could do is set the background to green and the foreground to anything but green and then use the chroma key preset to “green screen” it together.

Or you could try one of the different blend modes. If the background is black and the dots are white, the Add mode will be indistinguishable from having a transparent background, but other colors might be a bit different. Play around with this and see if you can’t find something you can use: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=245316
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 06:54 PM   #5
profquad

I was able to do this with chroma key
profquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 09:47 PM   #6
fuzzball

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
One thing you could do is set the background to green and the foreground to anything but green and then use the chroma key preset to “green screen” it together.
Genius! Worked great. Funny, I had been trying the same thing adding Chroma-key, but was trying to remove the black background with it, which was not working very well. I forgot that you could change the background of the oscilloscope to green. Works great!

Thank you!
Old 03-31-2021, 02:03 AM   #7
jrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
Good one. Yes, it's using the "background" to handle the fading out of the dots. Sigh.