Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 02-06-2021, 07:46 PM   #41
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
FS-UAE is in the official repo at version 3.0.5-1.

There's a FS-UAE launcher as well at 3.0.5-2.

Just open add/remove software and type it in. Hit install. Done.
Interesting, coz I am right this second booted on a Manjaro DVD from the latest 20.2.1 version on the Manjaro site, and in add/remove software I'm seeing "No Package Found" which was one of the things that instantly turned me off to Manjaro the last time I looked at it.

In Xubuntu, Synaptic finds FS-UAE and the launcher, and I can boot up my old Amiga hard drives, but just like last time, I'm not seeing a way to install it on a stock boot of Manjaro media.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 09:17 PM   #42
JamesPeters

Try refreshing the database in pamac ("add/remove software"). From the drop-down at the top right (3 dots). It's in the official "worldwide" repo (the default one). I just found it right now.

You don't mean to say you didn't think of refreshing the database, when running a "live" version?

https://discover.manjaro.org/packages/fs-uae (info is a bit outdated, but there it is.)

From what I've seen so far: if a package is going to be in any repo, it'll be in Arch and Manjaro's repos.

The only "problem" I sometimes have is when requirements/dependencies are listed for compiling some software from source, and those package names are different from what I'd need to get in the Manjaro repo (since they're usually Debian or Ubuntu package names). I sometimes need to do some searching on the Internet to know what packages I need to install. That's not something you'd have a problem with though I guess, since you don't like compiling software.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 02-06-2021 at 09:24 PM.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 09:50 PM   #43
Glennbo

Quote:
Try refreshing the database in pamac ("add/remove software"). From the drop-down at the top right (3 dots). It's in the official "worldwide" repo (the default one). I just found it right now.
I booted up again from the live DVD and after refreshing it does now show both. Last time I tried Manjaro it was installed on my first SSD and had been refreshed. It found almost all the software I need, but it was not finding FS-UAE two years ago when I was trying out flavors of Linux.
Old 02-06-2021, 10:10 PM   #44
JamesPeters

You probably didn't refresh the database then either. Another explanation: you were still using Windows and it knew you were a FILTHY TRAITOR.
Old 02-06-2021, 10:35 PM   #45
Glennbo

Quote:
You probably didn't refresh the database then either.
Actually I did, because I was giving Manjaro a full try, installing it on my SSD, and I had gotten all but FS-UAE and an issue with not being able to gain control of my machine after it went into screen blanking mode. I even tried installing AUR or whatever and it didn't find it either. I think there was some issue back then, but it was two years ago.

Quote:
Another explanation: you were still using Windows and it knew you were a FILTHY TRAITOR.
I NEVER EVER felt bad about dumping Windows. M$ had put the GWX.exe app on my machine, and I blocked it, then they circumvented my blocking it to the point that it felt like I was dealing with out of control malware.
Old 02-06-2021, 11:19 PM   #46
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Actually I did, because I was giving Manjaro a full try, installing it on my SSD, and I had gotten all but FS-UAE and an issue with not being able to gain control of my machine after it went into screen blanking mode. I even tried installing AUR or whatever and it didn't find it either. I think there was some issue back then, but it was two years ago.
A likely story.

I notice a number of distros are more "solid" than they were 2 years ago.

I also had some graphics display issues since I was using proprietary Nvidia drivers and low latency or RT kernels, without understanding what was required of the configuration. Plus sometimes a new version of the Nvidia drivers will have issues.

Quote:
I NEVER EVER felt bad about dumping Windows. M$ had put the GWX.exe app on my machine, and I blocked it, then they circumvented my blocking it to the point that it felt like I was dealing with out of control malware.
I meant that Manjaro didn't like the fact you were still using Windows.
Old 04-18-2021, 05:29 PM   #47
sgarza

this post should be sticky
sgarza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 09:19 AM   #48
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
Yes that seems a sensible attitude. The only drawback I can see with using Ubuntu is that it tends to have older versions of software. This in not always a bad thing either, but for instance right now it means that you probably can't get a GUI in guitarix plugins without building them from source yourself.
So more than a year later I followed through with buying a sooper fast Gen4 M.2 and installed Manjaro. I remembered this post, so I went to the add/remove software tool and installed Guitarix. Not only is it pretty cool, but I setup qjackctrl so it launches Guitarix, making for a quick way to just plug in a guitar direct to my new ADA8200, fire up qjackctrl/Guitarix and start jamming!

Quote:
On the other hand changing distro can mean more work learning how to use another way of installing and configuring software.
My biggest concern has always been that I wanted to leave my perfectly functioning Xubuntu setup and install Manjaro on a brand new separate drive. I waited this long because of PCIe 4.0 being bleeding edge, and didn't want to run into compatibility issues. Evidently I waited long enough because Samsung finally came out with a PCIe 4.0 NVMe that worked first try and it only took me 24 hours to setup Manjaro from total scratch.

I did have both my Xubuntu SSDs plugged in after the install, so I could clone things like my entire .wine folder with all my Windows plugins already installed and setup, which saved me days worth of time.

Quote:
A long time ago I changed distro because Ubuntu stopped having a realtime patched kernel. I'm really not unhappy about having moved to Archlinux, but I'm relatively sure that I could do all I do with some Ubuntu variant. I also ended up maintaining the rt kernel for Archlinux, so in the end I could probably just as well have built it for myself on Ubuntu too..
I've wanted to switch distros for a while, but it wasn't for any performance reasons. I just wanted to get closer to the source, so stuff like Guitarix would be newer versions where the graphics work. That's a cool virtual amp too. I like the sound I'm getting using the Mesa Boogie amp and cabinet impulse at the end of my chain.

Last edited by Glennbo; 06-10-2021 at 01:41 PM.
Old 06-14-2021, 01:34 PM   #49
theviolinist

Default Reaper, Linux Native, just wait a bit!!

Because, since Mac is actually making money out of BDS, and "Dr. Doze" now has incorporated(!) a linux kernal into its OPS, and, since the ISS has now given up on XP (dose of Co-Vid will do that!!) and now uses Debian, Linux is a foregone conclusion imo...
So, I DO hope that everyone will say a HUGE thank you to C, and Reaper, for their native (not the perfect wine) Reaper version, and it is only a matter of time, if WE will it, for the money heads to follow with Steinberg finally "releasing" their idiotic grab on VSTs!
Linux is the FUTURE!!!
As for the "industry standard" what? Standard shit?
https://mxlinux.org/ here.
theviolinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 01:48 PM   #50
theviolinist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedTheCat View Post
Discovered this fairly recently:

There's a swell option at the top of the reaper.ini file, it's called "gdk_owned_windows_in_tasklist". It's not enabled by default, but when set to 1 your window manager gets control of all individual REAPER windows. Which means you can ALT-TAB between them, drag plugins across multiple monitors, show window overview etc. Works great in Gnome!

wait!!! Sir, all comes to those who wait (they say!!)
Thanks to C and Reaper!! Omnisphere? what? Eric must be real mad, no linux version, and we will ALL be using linux in the future.
Surge, anyone? how about https://www.meldaproduction.com/MSoundFactory do people even KNOW about this?
theviolinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 08:54 PM   #51
Bjorn.LaSanche
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
Yes, no more eye cancer!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q3t87la28k...129_221133.png

Edit: I've been away too long, don't even know how to post a png that displays in the forum. [img] [/img] didn't work

Jack, is this how to set up Reapers vst search? I am still trying to figure out how linux catalogs the software you use on it. Especially the audio stuff.
Bjorn.LaSanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 08:59 PM   #52
Bjorn.LaSanche
Banned

Quote:
So more than a year later I followed through with buying a sooper fast Gen4 M.2 and installed Manjaro. I remembered this post, so I went to the add/remove software tool and installed Guitarix. Not only is it pretty cool, but I setup qjackctrl so it launches Guitarix, making for a quick way to just plug in a guitar direct to my new ADA8200, fire up qjackctrl/Guitarix and start jamming!

My biggest concern has always been that I wanted to leave my perfectly functioning Xubuntu setup and install Manjaro on a brand new separate drive. I waited this long because of PCIe 4.0 being bleeding edge, and didn't want to run into compatibility issues. Evidently I waited long enough because Samsung finally came out with a PCIe 4.0 NVMe that worked first try and it only took me 24 hours to setup Manjaro from total scratch.

I did have both my Xubuntu SSDs plugged in after the install, so I could clone things like my entire .wine folder with all my Windows plugins already installed and setup, which saved me days worth of time.

I've wanted to switch distros for a while, but it wasn't for any performance reasons. I just wanted to get closer to the source, so stuff like Guitarix would be newer versions where the graphics work. That's a cool virtual amp too. I like the sound I'm getting using the Mesa Boogie amp and cabinet impulse at the end of my chain.

See my previous post same thread. Where does Guitarix install itself? I dont have a choice using linux which i like. but I cannot locate the directory it stored itself to.
Bjorn.LaSanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 07:21 PM   #53
reapercurious

where should reaper.ini be in manjaro?

I'll find it but this is what my first month back in Linux has been like:

[img]
https://forums.cockos.com/attachment...1&d=1634350738
[/img]

edit: found it by looking at the top menu in Reaper called 'options' and the location is revealed that way. Mine was in /home/username/.config/REAPER/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reaper_ini_not_found_manjaro.jpg (32.9 KB, 105 views)

Last edited by reapercurious; 10-15-2021 at 07:37 PM.
reapercurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 04:02 PM   #54
dylan.w

thanks for this! I now have comfy alt-tabbing between arrange/midi/mixer windows with the following edits to reaper.ini

gdk_owned_windows_in_tasklist=1

gdk_owned_windows_keep_above=0
dylan.w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 02:40 AM   #55
mindlessgenius

Great that this thread resurfaced again. This is something I wanted for a long time. Thanks!
mindlessgenius is offline   Reply With Quote