Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 03-04-2021, 06:14 AM   #481
mabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagalume View Post
Let's see if you are right ... according to your prediction Articulations maps should start now ... we'll see ...
I think Razor Edit must have been really difficult to implement, not only for the complexity of the function in itself but also for the implications of integrating it smoothly in the other edit functionalities.

I would tend to say that Articulation Mapper would be easier, but it's so easy to say so when you're not the one that implements it...

- Mario
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 07:49 AM   #482
Phazma
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Let's see if you are right ... according to your prediction Articulations maps should start now ... we'll see ...
No trace yet.. :P But it is understandable. Now that they have worked hard for months on that huge thing that razor editing is, it makes sense that they don't immediately tackle some other very complex feature where people keep arguing for months how it should work and instead fix a bunch of smaller issues to move REAPER forward overall before opening the next can of worms.
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 07:52 AM   #483
_Stevie_

I cannot stress this enough... the devs need to coorporate with Jason (Tack) from Reaticulate. He laid it out perfectly. There's no need to re-invent the wheel.
Old 03-04-2021, 07:54 AM   #484
mabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazma View Post
No trace yet.. :P But it is understandable. Now that they have worked hard for months on that huge thing that razor editing is, it makes sense that they don't immediately tackle some other very complex feature where people keep arguing for months how it should work and instead fix a bunch of smaller issues to move REAPER forward overall before opening the next can of worms.
Well, it seems now there's focus on the lane / take / item stuff, which is not trivial as well... I guess they don't like to get bored

- Mario
Old 03-04-2021, 08:10 AM   #485
Phazma

@Stevie I agree. However a native articulation system would allow to expand a lot on what Tack can provide us via scripting. Like for example adding Reaticulate/ArticulationMapper to the controller lane and showing the various available articulations like in Cubase to draw blocks for how long an articulation lasts. Or have the possibility to select a note, click onto an articulation and the articulation lane shows a symbol that indicates the articulation and when moving the note the articulation (+symbol) move together with the note. Many possibilities to discuss for integration, even when Reaticulate serves as the base to expand on.

@mabian true. Actually way more people have been complaining about the take system so surely it is a big thing. Perhaps they are just on a roll and tackle now one big thing after the other
Old 03-04-2021, 08:12 AM   #486
_Stevie_

Sorry, to sound negative, but I don't see this coming any time, soon.
The devs don't do a lot of MIDI, I think that is the main issue, here.
So it doesn't have priority.
Old 03-04-2021, 06:30 PM   #487
krahosk

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
Sorry, to sound negative, but I don't see this coming any time, soon.
The devs don't do a lot of MIDI, I think that is the main issue, here.
So it doesn't have priority.
And then there was that huge scoring feature that happened one day in Reaper. I still believe it's possible.
krahosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 06:35 PM   #488
_Stevie_

True, true! Well definitely crossing my fingers, just not getting my hopes too high.
Old 03-04-2021, 06:40 PM   #489
Phazma

I think rather than rush something they will wait until they feel like dedicating more time to it and then it will be integrated once for all with perfection and (in usual Reaper fashion) allowing all kinds of workflows.
Old 03-05-2021, 03:52 AM   #490
mozart999uk

Just like to add that I think Tack's work is amazing but for me, a native version would be better....
mozart999uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 11:04 AM   #491
krahosk

VI Forum Topic:
"I would like to hear from others about what they WISH the DAW's could do better in any way related to articulation management. Dream big."

https://vi-control.net/community/thr.../#post-4751167
krahosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 11:34 AM   #492
Audio_Birdi

Hoping that after the ReaSurroundPan Reaper 6.30 update (which is when I'm guessing it will be released). I hope we finally have a preliminary look at a Native version for an Articulation Mapper, 3.5 years later after the original!
Audio_Birdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 12:48 AM   #493
mabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio_Birdi View Post
Hoping that after the ReaSurroundPan Reaper 6.30 update (which is when I'm guessing it will be released). I hope we finally have a preliminary look at a Native version for an Articulation Mapper, 3.5 years later after the original!
Agreed, this one has been in the waiting room for too long!

- Mario
Old 04-26-2021, 01:48 AM   #494
Kabraxis

This weekend I explored other DAWs in terms of MIDI composing, and although some of them offer very good Articulation managers, none of them are coming close to Reaper in other features.

Tried Studio One, Nuendo and Logic so far, and Nuendo has the most grounded one.

I'd rather use Reaper and struggle and wrestle with articulations than switching to one of them. Reaticulate helps a bit, but editing a text file every time I need a change is kinda tedious.
Kabraxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 01:53 AM   #495
mozart999uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabraxis View Post
This weekend I explored other DAWs in terms of MIDI composing, and although some of them offer very good Articulation managers, none of them are coming close to Reaper in other features.

Tried Studio One, Nuendo and Logic so far, and Nuendo has the most grounded one.

I'd rather use Reaper and struggle and wrestle with articulations than switching to one of them. Reaticulate helps a bit, but editing a text file every time I need a change is kinda tedious.
I think Tack has plans to create a more visual editor at some point..... The thing that slows me down is getting the note numbers right :-)
Old 04-26-2021, 02:24 AM   #496
Phazma

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozart999uk View Post
I think Tack has plans to create a more visual editor at some point..
I am very eagerly waiting for that to finally happen!
Old 04-26-2021, 06:42 AM   #497
Kabraxis

Quote:
I think Tack has plans to create a more visual editor at some point..... The thing that slows me down is getting the note numbers right :-)
Yeah, I know about that. Yet it's not here, so I can't use it. Not to blame Tack, he's doing a fantastic job for free, so I can't complain if a visual editor doesn't ever arrive, or Tack decides it's enough already.
Kabraxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 07:19 AM   #498
_Stevie_

I think what all makes this a bit complex is that he needs to introduce a new way to handle articulations internally. So that needs to happen first, before the GUI editor can be implemented.
I wish we could do anything to make his work easier. But I guess Tack would approach us, if that was possible in any way.
Old 04-26-2021, 07:57 AM   #499
tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabraxis View Post
or Tack decides it's enough already.
Definitely not enough already. Soooo many ideas and improvements I want to make. It's just down to lack of free time (and sometimes energy), as it always is.

And I confess to my share of squirrel moments. Currently I am ripping out the underlying GUI library from Reaticulate and I've refactored it extensively, documented the bejesus out of it, and my plan is to release it as a standalone project. I have another 20-30 or so hours left on that (effort not duration) before I can get something out the door and return my focus to Reaticulate itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
I wish we could do anything to make his work easier. But I guess Tack would approach us, if that was possible in any way.
If you could make the pandemic go away, that'd be much appreciated. Since WFH began I have somehow been working my day job far more than when I'd go to the office every day.
tack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 08:03 AM   #500
_Stevie_

So looking forward to all of this, keep it up Jason!
Old 04-27-2021, 09:39 AM   #501
asai

I've mentioned this before, but could there possibly be any support from Justin and schwa? It would be a great team to put this all together, and probably would be able to knock it out in a fraction of the time it's taking Tack to do this.
asai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 11:05 AM   #502
Audio_Birdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcartwright View Post
Just a little teaser. This is a personal project, and I don't know how well it will fit into others' workflows. Still, I'll post a version soon-ish if folks would like to give it a test.

Are there any updates to Carticulate elsewhere on the forum that I've missed potentially? Would enjoy trying it out and testing it!
Old 12-31-2021, 07:28 AM   #503
KMJoshi

I wonder what has happened to this plan. It seems like the developers were working on it all the way back in 2016!?
Old 12-31-2021, 07:53 AM   #504
Vagalume

Yep, Radio silence for 5 years. However they didn't say anything about abandoning Articulation Mapper so I guess they are still working hard on it.
Vagalume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 09:10 AM   #505
Audio_Birdi

Quote:
Yep, Radio silence for 5 years. However they didn't say anything about abandoning Articulation Mapper so I guess they are still working hard on it.
I hope it's being worked-on still too, hoping for a nice surprise in 2022 finally too!

Wonder what happed to Carticulate too aha!
Old 01-02-2022, 02:01 PM   #506
KMJoshi

Quote:
Hope so! I'm sure it's a difficult feature to implement, hence the silence. But it would be really helpful for everyone using virtual acoustic instruments.
Old 01-02-2022, 02:02 PM   #507
KMJoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio_Birdi View Post
I hope it's being worked-on still too, hoping for a nice surprise in 2022 finally too!
A wonderful dream. 😄
Old 01-02-2022, 03:17 PM   #508
ceanganb

Still the only thing that breaks my heart in Eeaperland...
Old 01-02-2022, 03:27 PM   #509
tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceanganb View Post
Still the only thing that breaks my heart in Eeaperland...
I mean, while native articulation maps would certainly be nice, I'd have thought Reaticulate would at least spare us from heartbreak.
Old 01-02-2022, 07:22 PM   #510
ceanganb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tack View Post
I mean, while native articulation maps would certainly be nice, I'd have thought Reaticulate would at least spare us from heartbreak.
Rearticulate is great, please, dont get me wrong.

But the lack of support for dynamics / hairpins still pushes me on Cubase.
Old 01-05-2022, 05:49 AM   #511
norbury brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by tack View Post
I'm loving it now I've set up templates it's all really working well.

as an aside, someone mentioned a while back wondering if the Reaper Dev's could hook up with the devs of Musescore. It's a free open source notation software that's really good.

this would be a great upgrade to the current score editor.

M
Old 01-05-2022, 09:34 AM   #512
mozart999uk

Some people have mentioned cubase for its articulation system. I want to mention that one of the main reasons i moved from cubase was the articulation system "expression maps". I found it to be sooooo unreliable and the devs, instead of investigating just flat out disagreed. I wasn't alone in my frustration
Old 01-05-2022, 09:44 AM   #513
ceanganb

Quote:
Some people have mentioned cubase for its articulation system. I want to mention that one of the main reasons i moved from cubase was the articulation system "expression maps". I found it to be sooooo unreliable and the devs, instead of investigating just flat out disagreed. I wasn't alone in my frustration
Although it's not perfect, my friend, I kindly disagree.
The concept and the functioning works very fine, to me at least.
Old 01-05-2022, 10:02 AM   #514
tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceanganb View Post
But the lack of support for dynamics / hairpins still pushes me on Cubase.
Fair enough. Reaticulate could in theory support dynamics notation (it would be a bit of a hybrid system, using Program Change for articulation control, but otherwise respecting notation for dynamics), but I think for hairpins to be really useful REAPER itself needs some improvement in this area: AFAICT you can't attach dynamic instructions to either end of the hairpin as part of a single event.

The starting point would technically work, because even though it's independent from the hairpin it would at least be observable by Reaticulate during playback, but the target isn't known until we get there, meaning it can't translate the hairpin into a meaningful CC curve.

That's but one obstacle in using REAPER's notation/text events for articulation control.
Old 01-05-2022, 10:31 AM   #515
_Stevie_

Quote:
SO MUCH THIS!!! Expression maps have basically been abandoned from Steinberg. There hasn't been any significant change for 8 years.
Old 01-05-2022, 10:53 AM   #516
mozart999uk

One of the differences for me is tack's willingness to develop his script despite it not being his day job.

Cubase devs on the other hand....
Old 01-05-2022, 10:57 AM   #517
_Stevie_

🤣Very true! And thanks again, Jason, for doing this!
Old 01-05-2022, 10:57 AM   #518
Phazma

Fact is, Reaper is one of the few major DAWs that doesn't have a native articulation system and this has its limits. If the devs decided to integrate Reaticulate and update/implement a few features to facilitate it, we would have a very valid articulation system. Whether it is better or worse than other DAW's solutions is up to the individual user's workflow preferences, but I am sure if such an integration happens both tack and the devs would do their best to accommodate as many user preferences as possible and perhaps even support multiple approaches to articulation management via settings/options/preferences (unlike other DAWs).
Old 01-05-2022, 11:09 AM   #519
_Stevie_

The main issue is, that the devs would need to gather a lot of information in order to build an articulation system, since this is one of the areas the devs don't use personally.
And I'm unsure if the devs would go that route. To me it looked like they gave up 5 years ago, because
they hadn't thought of every feature. Glad to be proven wrong, though
Old 01-05-2022, 11:25 AM   #520
ceanganb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazma View Post
Fact is, Reaper is one of the few major DAWs that doesn't have a native articulation system and this has its limits. If the devs decided to integrate Reaticulate and update/implement a few features to facilitate it, we would have a very valid articulation system. Whether it is better or worse than other DAW's solutions is up to the individual user's workflow preferences, but I am sure if such an integration happens both tack and the devs would do their best to accommodate as many user preferences as possible and perhaps even support multiple approaches to articulation management via settings/options/preferences (unlike other DAWs).
Well, that's it.
I am not comparing tack to Cubase devs at all, neither Cubase to Reaper as a whole.

And, yes, tack's job is phenomenal...