Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2018, 12:48 AM   #561
Jack Winter
Human being with feelings
 
Jack Winter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Luxembourg/Spain
Posts: 1,833
Default

Maybe a different message displayed on timeout would be useful?

Where in the code can I change the 20s timeout?
__________________
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:18 AM   #562
osxmidi
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 583
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
Maybe a different message displayed on timeout would be useful?

Where in the code can I change the 20s timeout?
The error can be because lin-vst-server doesn't exist (not installed so it times out) or maybe some other system problem timeout, maybe I'll add a possible timeout message to it.

If someone has 10 vst's and forgets to install lin-vst-server then if the timout is 1 minute then that's a 10 minute total timeout, so that's why 20 seconds seemed like a compromise and plugins that can take a long time to load like MT-PowerDrums (because they load their samples) seemed to be ok even with old slow hard disks, but maybe the timeout should be increased if some people are having trouble with whatever plugins disregarding wine's initial library load time when wine is first used after system startup (which can be got around by running winecfg for slower hard disks) but wine on a newer hard disk should initially load pretty fast when wine is first used after system startup.

In remotepluginclient.cpp around line 787 in the void RemotePluginClient::syncStartup() function

Change the 2000 to 3000 and that would be (approx) 30 seconds, 6000 would be (approx) 1 minute.

Last edited by osxmidi; 09-19-2018 at 04:36 AM.
osxmidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 05:13 AM   #563
Jack Winter
Human being with feelings
 
Jack Winter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Luxembourg/Spain
Posts: 1,833
Default

I've seen the message when reaper is scanning waves vstshell from harddisk. Thought it confusing to see the error msg in it's current form as I know the installation is sane. This is also the reason I suspected that it could come from a timeout too. IMO separate error msgs would be nicer.
__________________
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 01:14 PM   #564
SmajjL
Human being with feelings
 
SmajjL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,355
Default

Jack... can you pick up the live10 demo and successfully make it working with wineasio and take notes so you can tell how to do it?
Are you in that mood by any chance?
__________________
:)
SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 01:22 AM   #565
4duhwinnn
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 495
Default

This youtube is regarding installing wine and FL Studio in linux,
but might help in your ableton quest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzrQwmYF7YQ

Cheers
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 02:40 AM   #566
SmajjL
Human being with feelings
 
SmajjL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,355
Default

I will have a look, the thing about Ableton Live 10 is that they stopped with the 32bit version and maby there is issues with 64bit Live, not sure. hmm
Lets see if that tube says something new then.

*Skål!*
__________________
:)
SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 04:24 AM   #567
Jack Winter
Human being with feelings
 
Jack Winter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Luxembourg/Spain
Posts: 1,833
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
Jack... can you pick up the live10 demo and successfully make it working with wineasio and take notes so you can tell how to do it?
Are you in that mood by any chance?
Not very much in the mood to be honest, haven't used wineasio for years now.. Also not a lot of time at the moment..

Have you tried it yourself, is 64b wineasio broken in some way?

Note to register 64b wineasio you need a 64b wine prefix and to run
Code:
wine64 regsvr32 wineasio
__________________
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 05:00 AM   #568
SmajjL
Human being with feelings
 
SmajjL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,355
Default

Roger that, hope it is good-busy though
I will try again and do as you say, last time I got as far as running the program, but Wineasio or "something" maked Live ill, but it showed up correcty and, using the Windows version of REAPER at the time, with Wineasio worked! so hmm.
Here I go again then, yes sir!
__________________
:)

Last edited by SmajjL; 10-04-2018 at 05:01 AM. Reason: No, don't have Reason 10... :p
SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 11:36 AM   #569
4duhwinnn
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 495
Default

In my experience, to get a working wine, I had to completely
remove wine from linux, using the package manager (synaptic in my case)
This also removed a lot of things temporarily, which I had to reinstall
later.

Next I had to install wine-staging (shown in the youtube
from Toussboxx above.)

Then I got a debian package to install wineasio.dll,
and made sure wineasio.dll was copied to these locations:

/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/wine

/usr/lib/wine

/opt/wine-staging/lib64/

/opt/wine-staging/lib/wine

Then command

wine64 regsvr32 wineasio.dll

and regsvr32 wineasio.dll

Then in a daw's config setup, choose wineasio as the asio driver.

If dire straights still prevail, you could try wasapi shared mode
instead of asio.


Is there some crucial feature
in Ableton that can't be matched in Reaper, Bitwig, Mixbus,
or Renoise? All of them have working linux versions.
Myself, I'd jump off the 725th floor, before using ableton
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 12:27 PM   #570
SmajjL
Human being with feelings
 
SmajjL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,355
Default

Woah!! text of help I will try my best to do this and on Debian if Wine likes me better there.
Also, I thhhink every Youtube i've seen, they have used the 32bit Ableton, maby Wine & stuff have problems with 64bit?

And PlayOnLinux have support up to Live9 and I tried back then eavsedrop on its config what dependency it requires.
Using PlayOnLinux with Live 10 to install will give so many POL errors I lost count, I used that only as a way of getting Wine versions "easy".. la-lalah--..

Yeah well I am into the thump-hat-thump-hat thing etc and Live gave me an 25% off offer and my head melted I can't say it is poop though, sorry but it is not and Sampler/Simpler is more mature and the warping feature works good enough for me.

That said..
I can compensate though to say I have dreams of Bitwig as I seem to just produce best/quickest there, vvvery easy matter of fact and I don't even master the thing yet and, Bitwig have now added love to their sampler and also improved their time stretching along with Elastique Pro & Co so.. what excuse I really have now?
I will get Bitwig fear not!!
And beeing a REAPER user, I am so spoiled with updates, need I say more. (internl JK)

Hey! thank you man!
__________________
:)
SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 02:11 PM   #571
4duhwinnn
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 495
Default

I tried installing the new live lite 10 on a system
with Mint 18, wine-staging 3.17, linux Reaper, linux Bitwig 8-Track,
and Linux Mixbus 4.3x (all of which do work well)

Lite 10 installed OK, But won't launch, listing a trove of errors
in the terminal.

Cheers
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 03:54 PM   #572
SmajjL
Human being with feelings
 
SmajjL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,355
Default

You tried this for me?
I don't remember the exact, some dx or vb 2008 and some core fonts, hmm, yeah that helped SmajjL.. anyway, thanks for trying, I am going into the land of Bitwig though I have decided and will swap/sell Live 10 or let it collect dust until I find a reason to use it, pretty proud of myself because Live is not, poop, workflow and Bitwig just about read my mind what I like.
A: Bitwig! my final answer! Q music
__________________
:)
SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:12 PM   #573
4duhwinnn
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 495
Default

Quite happy to, people are always lending me a hand,
got to keep the river moving to the sea, keep the pot stirred...
Cheers
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 04:56 AM   #574
SmajjL
Human being with feelings
 
SmajjL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,355
Default

Well, you are obviously not allergic to smiley abusers with spelling problems that "talk funny" either, thanks.
__________________
:)
SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:50 AM   #575
kytdkut
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 55
Default

@osxmidi granite vst does not run on linvst (it crashes), but it does on plain wine, and I'm not able to figure out why

I downloaded the demo here: https://www.newsonicarts.com/html/granite.php

seems like a good addition to the granulator stack

care to give it a look when you have the time? thanks in advance
kytdkut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 10:28 AM   #576
somethingtohide
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperEB View Post
Tried to install staging 2.21 on AVLinux but was running into some missing dependencies that I couldn't easily resolve.

Installed MX 17.1 and then successfully loaded everything. Waves Central would recognize drive_C but not my flash drive.

I disconnected an external hard drive but had forgotten to dismount it. Now Waves Central gives me the disconnected devices warning. A reboot, re-install of everything except wine did not fix this!

EDIT: EDIT: After re-installing wine, I have confirmed that the removal of a USB drive without first dismounting it will cause WC to not be able to see the network card and drive_c will no longer available. WC was not running when I removed the drive. When the drive is re-installed, WC will recognize drive_c again.

I might be able to work with this but am going to keep trying to get licenses on USB to work.
Would you kindly share any more information about this topic? I have Waves Central working a while back, but I wanted to try it out again and I cannot get it to work! For reference, I'm on Arch Linux and Wine Staging 3.17.r39, although I've tried this numerous times since 3.12. I *always* get the unable to detect devices message, where it says there's no USB or network card. I can install plugins, but not activate them. I've always tried with new wineprefixes and with the necessary startup steps listed before, e.g. robotools, mfc42*, regedit.

I've tried rebooting, fresh prefixes, with/without USBs before/after installing the prefix, messing with Drives in winecfg, multiple wine-staging versions, and probably more than that! I need some clues as to what to do here... I'm sure that at some point in my three-year-old setup that I've removed devices without unmounting them, but I doubt that would affect this. A clean reboot, insert USB, clean wineprefix, and install Waves Central does not seem to fix this.

I don't know what/how it's checking, but it fails every time on my machine. The only related thing that I can think of is about the network. I also use QEMU and I have multiple bridges setup with a couple of NICs. That may be different that the average user and causes this issue. What a pain!
somethingtohide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:27 PM   #577
osxmidi
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 583
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingtohide View Post
Would you kindly share any more information about this topic? I have Waves Central working a while back, but I wanted to try it out again and I cannot get it to work! For reference, I'm on Arch Linux and Wine Staging 3.17.r39, although I've tried this numerous times since 3.12. I *always* get the unable to detect devices message, where it says there's no USB or network card. I can install plugins, but not activate them. I've always tried with new wineprefixes and with the necessary startup steps listed before, e.g. robotools, mfc42*, regedit.

I've tried rebooting, fresh prefixes, with/without USBs before/after installing the prefix, messing with Drives in winecfg, multiple wine-staging versions, and probably more than that! I need some clues as to what to do here... I'm sure that at some point in my three-year-old setup that I've removed devices without unmounting them, but I doubt that would affect this. A clean reboot, insert USB, clean wineprefix, and install Waves Central does not seem to fix this.

I don't know what/how it's checking, but it fails every time on my machine. The only related thing that I can think of is about the network. I also use QEMU and I have multiple bridges setup with a couple of NICs. That may be different that the average user and causes this issue. What a pain!

Need Wine Staging 3.15 or above.

Need to install robocopy and add a few reg entries (details in the LinVst github readme).

Put a usb stick in and run winecfg and have a look at the drives tab and see if the usb shows up as a windows drive letter.

Waves Central seems to need a usb stick before it will activate licences and the usb stick has to be working with Wine and maybe not all distros are the same when it comes to Wine and usb.

Make sure the usb stick is working with Wine and insert the usb stick before starting Waves Central.

Transferring licenses from usb sticks is probably not going to work because of Wines limitations in that area but transferring licenses to drive_c from the cloud (and vice versa) should work and maybe an actual usb (hard) drive might work (not a usb flash or stick).

Last edited by osxmidi; 10-05-2018 at 10:06 PM.
osxmidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 10:12 PM   #578
osxmidi
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 583
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytdkut View Post
@osxmidi granite vst does not run on linvst (it crashes), but it does on plain wine, and I'm not able to figure out why

I downloaded the demo here: https://www.newsonicarts.com/html/granite.php

seems like a good addition to the granulator stack

care to give it a look when you have the time? thanks in advance
Seems like a Wine problem.

Standalone and vst versions can be different.
osxmidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 11:03 AM   #579
somethingtohide
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxmidi View Post
Need Wine Staging 3.15 or above.

Need to install robocopy and add a few reg entries (details in the LinVst github readme).

Put a usb stick in and run winecfg and have a look at the drives tab and see if the usb shows up as a windows drive letter.

Waves Central seems to need a usb stick before it will activate licences and the usb stick has to be working with Wine and maybe not all distros are the same when it comes to Wine and usb.

Make sure the usb stick is working with Wine and insert the usb stick before starting Waves Central.

Transferring licenses from usb sticks is probably not going to work because of Wines limitations in that area but transferring licenses to drive_c from the cloud (and vice versa) should work and maybe an actual usb (hard) drive might work (not a usb flash or stick).
Yep, I'm on 3.17 now, and I have a script to do all the required steps that have been noted before and elsewhere. It's either the USB or network issue that's stopping it. winecfg by default lists the USB as a drive-letter as well as a few other mountpoints that I have. Even after a fresh reboot, then plugging the drive in, and then setting up the wineprefix from scratch, I still get the "No Connected Devices" message so I cannot even manage licenses to/from drive_c
somethingtohide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 04:37 PM   #580
kytdkut
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 55
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxmidi View Post
Seems like a Wine problem.

Standalone and vst versions can be different.
sorry, I meant the vst version running on a Wine REAPER instance, not the standalone one
kytdkut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 05:54 PM   #581
4duhwinnn
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 495
Default

Surge from Vember Audio is working, V1.6.0b2
Mint 18
wine-staging 3.17
reaper 5.95 offers it in the vst3i area.

wine over-rides:
d3d11 added
mfc42 added
d2d1 disabled

Why does it feel like a Friday night,
whenever an excellent newly available plugin works?

Also, the new Fathom 2.21, now with microtuning added,
is working in the same setup. On sale for $15
today, tuesday, and again on friday 10-12-18
Includes a new bank of 32 bass patches, and the previous
extra soundbank
Cheers

wednesday and thursday are clearly bad luck...
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:44 PM   #582
4duhwinnn
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 495
Default

Selecting the Surge 'monosynth' preset category seems to crash reaper-surge
almost instantly. The other categories, pads, keys etc seem to work OK,
some outsanding presets to work with.

Ran the guitar through the 'audio passthrough' hoping it acts
like the z3ta+ 1.5 effects dll, but no effects can be heard,
despite it looking like everything is on. Maybe rtfm hour approaches...
Cheers
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:32 PM   #583
4duhwinnn
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 495
Default

Reaper.exe in wine running Tantra multi-effects plugin
with a gated rythmic patch for guitar

Reaper.so running three lv2 plugins via lv2vst

Mustang GT40 amp sending it's line output to feed
both Reaper's,

recording both with timemachine

und es ist mitwok, nicht jetzt das fritag!
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:14 PM   #584
nPHYN1T3
Human being with feelings
 
nPHYN1T3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: White Hell
Posts: 68
Default lin-vst-server/vst not found or linvst version mismatch (Arg!)

I was working on a track today but was having an issue with some VST's that normally function fine. I decided to redo things clean...BIG MISTAKE! I've updated lin-vst-server* in /usr/bin but I get "lin-vst-server/vst not found or linvst version mismatch" on almost every plugin I need for this song.

I've been reading and trying to fix things and read a few things about time outs and other reasons why vst are failing but I've found this (at least for me) and may be the case for others is a dependency issue. So if you are redoing things or doing them for the first time this might be simply because the wine prefix lacks dependencies for a plugin. Be it a font, direct draw, gl draw, dotnet framework, this also seems to cause this vague version mismatch error.

It would be nice if the blank dialog box would actually say if this is a time out, a dependency failure or whatever else might be going on. Verbosity is the spice of debugging hell life! heh. Now where the F is SteamPlay for Reapers VST system.

This almost makes me wish there was a database of VST dependencies. Most won't list things because they assume it's part of the intended OS and installed already which isn't the case for us. I've made some progress (and lost some) by installing ala kitchen sink, crap like vcredist, dotnet and a few other things trying to coax out what vst needs what...wish me luck!
__________________
Human being with feelings it says while in my picture I'm wearing a T-Shirt with "HATE" written across it.

Last edited by nPHYN1T3; 10-10-2018 at 07:19 PM.
nPHYN1T3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:56 PM   #585
Glennbo
Human being with feelings
 
Glennbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 4,722
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nPHYN1T3 View Post
I was working on a track today but was having an issue with some VST's that normally function fine. I decided to redo things clean...BIG MISTAKE! I've updated lin-vst-server* in /usr/bin but I get "lin-vst-server/vst not found or linvst version mismatch" on almost every plugin I need for this song.
Did you re-run LinVSTconvert on all your plugins, and be sure to use an updated linvst.so as the template?
__________________
Glennbo
Hear My Music - Click Me!!!
--
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:42 PM   #586
4duhwinnn
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 495
Default

Putting/installing all your plugin .dlls, or links to them, in one folder,
makes it easy to delete all the linvst-created .so files
using a wildcard command or file managers sort-by-extension option.

linvstconverttree works properly if all the .so files
have been removed from the target folder, assuming
all of the linvst items from /usr/bin and /home/you
are from the same release of linvst.

Keeping a text file of ln -s commmand lines containing
long path statements, can ease recreating the vst links.
Cheers
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:13 PM   #587
4duhwinnn
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 495
Default

In Mint 18, I updated wine-staging to 3.18 from synaptic,
and installed Melodyne trial version.
I opened the standalone version, loaded an
audio track, and played it. Briefly checked that all the
menus/controls/tooltips etc worked. Seems OK.

Maybe an actual Melodyne user could verify
the good the bad and the ugly, hopefully
it's all/mainly good.
Cheers
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:02 PM   #588
JamesPeters
Human being with feelings
 
JamesPeters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Near a big lake
Posts: 3,128
Default

Send a PM to stoman?
__________________
Using REAPER for Linux on Mint XFCE 20
Free multi-layered drum bank
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:04 PM   #589
4duhwinnn
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 495
Default

It's a small forum, he'll see it. I hope it works
well enough for him, to shorten the holdouts list, work in progress
as it may be.

I got this " close to getting Korg Legacy M1 registered,
one of my last 'holdouts', including making Chrome the default browser,
but at the last second, the Korg reg scheme parsed gvfs while looking
for a valid location, and hit the panick button...

To make life harder, for the first time, reaper in wine
won't recognize inserted media files, wav, mp3, rex etc
The only changes I made were updating jack2, wine-staging,
and getting reaper 5.96. The linux 5.96 still takes media files normally.
Could be worse!
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 01:55 PM   #590
tonfunk
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 5
Default LinVst Waves v9

Hi osxmidi, all,

first I would like to thank you for the hard work and the code you have contributed to make the transition to a linux based DAW easier.

I would like to share the status of my setup and workarounds for obstacles I experienced while getting Waves Platinum v9 to work. My system & settings looks as follows:

# Ubuntu Mate 18.04
# Reaper v5.96 (native)
# LinVst-2.32-Debian-Stretch
# Wine Staging 3.18
# WineWinVersion Win7 (64bit)
# robocopy.exe from rktools.exe
# lib: mfc42 (native, bulletin)
# lib: mfc42u (native, bulletin)

Waves Central (v9.92) installed without problems with the setup listed above and with a USB drive connected to the machine.

Note: the hostname of my linux machine is shown as my local license location in Waves Central, not 'drive_c'.

I was not able to install the plugins from the offline installer as the installation terminated with the following message: 'Sorry, an error has occured during installation - preparing.'

Note: Both dll files I used for mfc42 and mfc42u were downloaded from the web as winetricks did only offer mfc42, but lacking mfc42u. I doubt that this is the recommended option and might have chosen an unsuitable version for my needs.

My next step was to install v9.3 in addition. Even though I get the below listed error when starting Waves License Center v9.3, most individual plugin licenses previously installed are listed in the tool. Only 'Vitamin' is missing in the list.
('A connection error has occured. Please check your internet connection and try again...')

After following the steps from the LinVst quick start guide and rescanning the vst folder in reaper i was able to successfully test most plugins from Platinum v9.3, except aforementioned Vitamin (Error during folder scan: Waves License Error (Waves License Center)) and V-Comp (Error once V-Comp is selected as FX in reaper: LinVst Error Error getting instace WaveShell-VST9.3_x64.dll)

Overall this is a fairly good status that I can work with, even though I would love to use the latest versions (v9.92) and V-comp. In case you have any suggestions on how to get the last 5% up and running, please let me know.

BR,
Sven
tonfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:02 AM   #591
osxmidi
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 583
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonfunk View Post
Hi osxmidi, all,

first I would like to thank you for the hard work and the code you have contributed to make the transition to a linux based DAW easier.

I would like to share the status of my setup and workarounds for obstacles I experienced while getting Waves Platinum v9 to work. My system & settings looks as follows:

# Ubuntu Mate 18.04
# Reaper v5.96 (native)
# LinVst-2.32-Debian-Stretch
# Wine Staging 3.18
# WineWinVersion Win7 (64bit)
# robocopy.exe from rktools.exe
# lib: mfc42 (native, bulletin)
# lib: mfc42u (native, bulletin)

Waves Central (v9.92) installed without problems with the setup listed above and with a USB drive connected to the machine.

Note: the hostname of my linux machine is shown as my local license location in Waves Central, not 'drive_c'.

I was not able to install the plugins from the offline installer as the installation terminated with the following message: 'Sorry, an error has occured during installation - preparing.'

Note: Both dll files I used for mfc42 and mfc42u were downloaded from the web as winetricks did only offer mfc42, but lacking mfc42u. I doubt that this is the recommended option and might have chosen an unsuitable version for my needs.

My next step was to install v9.3 in addition. Even though I get the below listed error when starting Waves License Center v9.3, most individual plugin licenses previously installed are listed in the tool. Only 'Vitamin' is missing in the list.
('A connection error has occured. Please check your internet connection and try again...')

After following the steps from the LinVst quick start guide and rescanning the vst folder in reaper i was able to successfully test most plugins from Platinum v9.3, except aforementioned Vitamin (Error during folder scan: Waves License Error (Waves License Center)) and V-Comp (Error once V-Comp is selected as FX in reaper: LinVst Error Error getting instace WaveShell-VST9.3_x64.dll)

Overall this is a fairly good status that I can work with, even though I would love to use the latest versions (v9.92) and V-comp. In case you have any suggestions on how to get the last 5% up and running, please let me know.

BR,
Sven
Thanks.

Wine has missing bits (that are in Windows) that Waves Central requires, robocopy and some reg entries and some overrides.

The way to test if robocopy is working is to add the mfc42u.dll and mfc42.dll 32 bit overrides in /windows/syswow64 and then run "wine robocopy" from a terminal and look at the terminal output to see if it ran ok.

The reg entries need to be added so that Waves Central knows about some paths.

Once it's setup it should be ok.

I think that Waves Central (and robocopy) is a 32 bit app and it generally needs 32 bit overrides in /windows/syswow64.

The Waves plugins that Waves Central installs can be 32bit or 64bit and the 64bit plugins generally have their overrides in windows/system32 and the 32bit Waves plugins generally have their overrides in /windows/syswow64

Some Waves plugins need some overrides otherwise they won't load, a mfc140.dll override and maybe others (for 64 bit plugins copy mfc140.dll to windows/system32 and add mfc140 into the Libraries section of winecfg).

The way to tell if a plugin might need some overrides is to run Reaper from the terminal and load the plugin and look at the terminal output for any Wine errors relating to missing dll's.

Waves V10 requires another step as well so that it can find the plugin paths.


That's what I generally do to set it all up, maybe there are other ways but that's what I stick to because if it works then don't alter it.


There is copy protection and shell plugins going on and all run under Wine and so the chances of things not working are pretty high unless the setup steps are ok.

Maybe some distros (and their wine binaries) are more compatible than others, I don't know because I've only tested Waves with Debian and Ubuntu.

----------


Waves Central requires Wine Staging 2.x/3.x and also requires robocopy.exe to be installed (Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools) and robocopy also needs a mfc42u.dll 32 bit override and a mfc42.dll 32 bit override to be placed in /windows/syswow64 and added to the winecfg Libraries tab.

Waves Central seems to require a usb stick to be inserted so that the install/license functions operate and the Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools install (robocopy) seems to make a list of available drives at install time, so inserting a usb stick before installing Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools would be a good idea as Waves Central uses robocopy for file transfers and Waves Central checks for usb drives and seems to require a usb stick to be present.

Waves Central also requires some simple registry additions

wine regedit

Add the following environment string variables under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Environment (New String Value)

COMMONPROGRAMFILES(X86) C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files

PROGRAMFILES(X86) C:\Program Files (x86)

PUBLIC C:\users\Public

Wine Staging is only needed for Waves Central and the Waves plugins themselves can run with any of the Wine versions, Wine-Stable, Wine-Devel or Wine Staging.

The winbind and libntlm0 and gnutls packages might need to be installed for net access as well.

The file to wrap with linvst.so is WaveShellxxxxxxxx.dll which is probably in Program Files/VstPlugIns for 64 bit systems.

The Waves plugins probably require a mfc140.dll override (for 64 bit plugins copy mfc140.dll to windows/system32 and add mfc140 into the Libraries section of winecfg).

For V10

linvst.so needs to go into ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/VSTPlugIns and then moved to the waveshell name mv linvst.so "WaveShell1-VST 10.0_x64.so"

(If a dialog doesn't appear then WaveShell1-VST 10.0_x64.so needs to be deleted from ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/VSTPlugIns and text files need to be deleted rm *.txt in ~/.wine/drive_c/users/"LinuxUserName"/Application Data/Waves Audio/Preferences and then do the above).

Then set the DAW to scan ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/VSTPlugIns and then scan, and a select folder dialog will appear.

Descend into the path by double clicking on (C drive) and then double clicking on Program Files (x86) and then double clicking on Waves and then just highlight Plug-Ins V10 with a single click (don't descend into it) and then finish by clicking on open.

The DAW scan should then pick up the Waves plugins.

Last edited by osxmidi; 10-23-2018 at 12:21 AM.
osxmidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 01:07 PM   #592
tonfunk
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 5
Default

Hi osxmidi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxmidi View Post
Thanks.

Wine has missing bits (that are in Windows) that Waves Central requires, robocopy and some reg entries and some overrides.

The way to test if robocopy is working is to add the mfc42u.dll and mfc42.dll 32 bit overrides in /windows/syswow64 and then run "wine robocopy" from a terminal and look at the terminal output to see if it ran ok.
This I tested. wine robocopy shows
wine robocopy
01e1:err:winediag:ODBC32_SQLDrivers No ODBC drivers could be found. Check the settings for your libodbc provider.

wine64 robocopy shows
01e5:err:winediag:ODBC32_SQLDrivers No ODBC drivers could be found. Check the settings for your libodbc provider.

I guess this is expected behavior.


Quote:
Originally Posted by osxmidi View Post
The reg entries need to be added so that Waves Central knows about some paths.

Once it's setup it should be ok.

I think that Waves Central (and robocopy) is a 32 bit app and it generally needs 32 bit overrides in /windows/syswow64.

The Waves plugins that Waves Central installs can be 32bit or 64bit and the 64bit plugins generally have their overrides in windows/system32 and the 32bit Waves plugins generally have their overrides in /windows/syswow64

Some Waves plugins need some overrides otherwise they won't load, a mfc140.dll override and maybe others (for 64 bit plugins copy mfc140.dll to windows/system32 and add mfc140 into the Libraries section of winecfg).
I did all overrides in syswow64. My question was asking what the best source is to get the dlls required as winetricks does not provide all of them.
So far I did not see any need for mfc140.dll


Quote:
Originally Posted by osxmidi View Post
The way to tell if a plugin might need some overrides is to run Reaper from the terminal and load the plugin and look at the terminal output for any Wine errors relating to missing dll's.
Good point. I tied this for V-Comp which does not work so far. There is the same error pointed out in the my previous post. But this does not point me to a missing dll, does it?

dssi-vst-server: ERROR: Failed to instantiate plugin in VST DLL "/home/sd/.vst/WaveShell-VST 9.3_x64.dll"

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxmidi View Post
wine regedit

Add the following environment string variables under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Environment (New String Value)

COMMONPROGRAMFILES(X86) C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files

PROGRAMFILES(X86) C:\Program Files (x86)

PUBLIC C:\users\Public
That is interesting. I definately added those entries to the registry, but when double checking today, they are gone. Let me follow up.
UPDATE: re-added the regentries, no change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxmidi View Post
Wine Staging is only needed for Waves Central and the Waves plugins themselves can run with any of the Wine versions, Wine-Stable, Wine-Devel or Wine Staging.

The winbind and libntlm0 and gnutls packages might need to be installed for net access as well.
As I have issues w/ net access from within the v9.3 license center let me follow up on this as well.

UPDATE: packages installed, reboot, no change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxmidi View Post
The file to wrap with linvst.so is WaveShellxxxxxxxx.dll which is probably in Program Files/VstPlugIns for 64 bit systems.

The Waves plugins probably require a mfc140.dll override (for 64 bit plugins copy mfc140.dll to windows/system32 and add mfc140 into the Libraries section of winecfg).
Ok, so my question is still open - where do I ideally get the dll from?
UPDATE: tried with overwriting mfc140.dll (from dll.files.com), no change.

Br,
Sven

Last edited by tonfunk; 10-23-2018 at 02:34 PM.
tonfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:10 PM   #593
osxmidi
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 583
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonfunk View Post
Hi osxmidi,



This I tested. wine robocopy shows
wine robocopy
01e1:err:winediag:ODBC32_SQLDrivers No ODBC drivers could be found. Check the settings for your libodbc provider.

wine64 robocopy shows
01e5:err:winediag:ODBC32_SQLDrivers No ODBC drivers could be found. Check the settings for your libodbc provider.

I guess this is expected behavior.




I did all overrides in syswow64. My question was asking what the best source is to get the dlls required as winetricks does not provide all of them.
So far I did not see any need for mfc140.dll




Good point. I tied this for V-Comp which does not work so far. There is the same error pointed out in the my previous post. But this does not point me to a missing dll, does it?

dssi-vst-server: ERROR: Failed to instantiate plugin in VST DLL "/home/sd/.vst/WaveShell-VST 9.3_x64.dll"



That is interesting. I definately added those entries to the registry, but when double checking today, they are gone. Let me follow up.
UPDATE: re-added the regentries, no change.



As I have issues w/ net access from within the v9.3 license center let me follow up on this as well.

UPDATE: packages installed, reboot, no change.



Ok, so my question is still open - where do I ideally get the dll from?
UPDATE: tried with overwriting mfc140.dll (from dll.files.com), no change.

Br,
Sven
The dll's from dll.files.com should be ok.

Your robocopy output seems ok.

If the reg entries are not set or are set incorrectly then Waves Central stops installing the plugins and puts up an error.

I have drive_c and the cloud to choose from and I've never seen it like this
"Note: the hostname of my linux machine is shown as my local license location in Waves Central, not 'drive_c'."

I would try mfc140.dll in windows/system32 (64 bit) and see if it helped with

dssi-vst-server: ERROR: Failed to instantiate plugin in VST DLL "/home/sd/.vst/WaveShell-VST 9.3_x64.dll"

Last edited by osxmidi; 10-23-2018 at 10:17 PM.
osxmidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:44 PM   #594
tonfunk
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 5
Default

Hi osxmidi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxmidi View Post
The dll's from dll.files.com should be ok.

Your robocopy output seems ok.

If the reg entries are not set or are set incorrectly then Waves Central stops installing the plugins and puts up an error.

I have drive_c and the cloud to choose from and I've never seen it like this
"Note: the hostname of my linux machine is shown as my local license location in Waves Central, not 'drive_c'."
the registry should be ok now. I will keep the v9.3 plugins though as they do not have any issues besides vitamin and vcomp. Testing the v9.92 install would remove v9.3 from the install.

Regarding the license location, Waves Central did not gave me any other option. Is there a way to find out what my license location is?

Note: I can use the plugins without the USB drive attached that was needed for the license transfer, so I do not assume they are on the USB drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxmidi View Post
I would try mfc140.dll in windows/system32 (64 bit) and see if it helped with

dssi-vst-server: ERROR: Failed to instantiate plugin in VST DLL "/home/sd/.vst/WaveShell-VST 9.3_x64.dll"
Thanks for confirming the source for the dll.

I added the 64bit version of the dll to system32 and to the winecfg library, no change, same error.

Btw, the other dll overrides (mfc42.dll and mfc42u.dll) are 32bit and added to syswow64.
tonfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 01:04 AM   #595
TonE
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Reaper HAS send control via midi !!!
Posts: 2,561
Default

osxmidi or anyone else, did you try shortcircuit 1.1.2 with linvst, does it work completely, so if you save, close and reopen the project, are all samples found and loaded automatically or do you have to select the dir where the samples are each time again? As it is the case in reaper in wine, which is a showstopper. If it behaves better in linvst that would be awesome. shortcircuit is the best tool for playing around with samples, especially together with hackey trackey and hackey patterns.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 01:17 AM   #596
TonE
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Reaper HAS send control via midi !!!
Posts: 2,561
Default

"Start linvstconvert (in the convert folder) and then select the linvst.so from the chosen embedded or standalone window version folder."

./linvstconvert
./linvstconvert: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.21' not found (required by ./linvstconvert)

So which linvst version should I use with ubuntu 14.04 LTS?
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 02:59 AM   #597
osxmidi
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 583
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
"Start linvstconvert (in the convert folder) and then select the linvst.so from the chosen embedded or standalone window version folder."

./linvstconvert
./linvstconvert: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.21' not found (required by ./linvstconvert)

So which linvst version should I use with ubuntu 14.04 LTS?
I havn't made any Ubuntu 14.04 versions for a while.

I've attached an older version.
Attached Files
File Type: zip LinVst-2.1-5-Ubuntu-14.04.zip (337.9 KB, 37 views)
osxmidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 03:04 AM   #598
osxmidi
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 583
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonfunk View Post
Hi osxmidi,



the registry should be ok now. I will keep the v9.3 plugins though as they do not have any issues besides vitamin and vcomp. Testing the v9.92 install would remove v9.3 from the install.

Regarding the license location, Waves Central did not gave me any other option. Is there a way to find out what my license location is?

Note: I can use the plugins without the USB drive attached that was needed for the license transfer, so I do not assume they are on the USB drive.



Thanks for confirming the source for the dll.

I added the 64bit version of the dll to system32 and to the winecfg library, no change, same error.

Btw, the other dll overrides (mfc42.dll and mfc42u.dll) are 32bit and added to syswow64.

I don't know much about the Waves licenses and I have only used the demo licenses.

Did you manage to install a Waves license via usb using Wine?, because some have had trouble doing that.

A possible reason for the Waveshell to not load a plugin is that a dll override is possibly missing but it could be due to other reasons as well.
osxmidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 09:56 AM   #599
TonE
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Reaper HAS send control via midi !!!
Posts: 2,561
Default

'Point linvstconvert to the folder containing the windows vst's and hit the Start (Convert) button.'

Thanks osxmidi for the turbo quick help, now it starts, it seems the vst folder is not scanned with all its subdirs? If a future version could scan all subdirs as well, that would be cool. Now let me check quickly if shortcircuit 1.1.2 behaves better with linvst, that would be too cool.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 10:19 AM   #600
Glennbo
Human being with feelings
 
Glennbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 4,722
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
'Point linvstconvert to the folder containing the windows vst's and hit the Start (Convert) button.'

Thanks osxmidi for the turbo quick help, now it starts, it seems the vst folder is not scanned with all its subdirs? If a future version could scan all subdirs as well, that would be cool. Now let me check quickly if shortcircuit 1.1.2 behaves better with linvst, that would be too cool.
Use linvstconverttree instead of linvstconvert and it will pickup sub-directories.
__________________
Glennbo
Hear My Music - Click Me!!!
--
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.