Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-07-2013, 10:19 AM   #1
pelleke
Human being with feelings

Default New Source/Destination editing actions!

Dear mortals, I would like to announce my new custom actions I created to do Source/Destination editing.

For hasty or lazy people: watch this vid! http://youtu.be/utSTd8huEoM

Insipred by the earlier work done by gembez, Art Evans and panphonic, I would like to share my custom actions with the rest of the world. I've been using them now to edit one project, and I am definitely happy with the way it went.

If you have any questions or remarks, or if you have found a bug, please let me know and I will look at it!

A few key features:

- A set-up action that creates a Destination project tab, asks you to save it (which you can cancel). It duplicates the tracks of the source project, and copies some other data that would otherwise be left away, such as the FX chain on your master track.
- Source and destination are in separate projects, which give them the advantage of having separate timelines, zoom factors and time selections. Also, it gives you a lot better screen real estate, so you don't have to hide tracks to make it work.
- Three points edits and four points edits. Both are done using the same action.
- These actions don't depend on markers so you can use your markers independently, any way you want.
- These actions do not depend on showing and hiding tracks from your TCP
- Two edit actions, one of which automatically adds crossfades to your edits, with a configurable length.
- Although untested, automation envelopes should also be copied.

Installation instructions:
- Get an up-to-date version of Reaper. I've created and tested these on Reaper v4.31.
- Get an up-to-date version of SWS extensions installed.
- Download the custom actions from this thread.
- Start Reaper, open your actions window and import the actions using the Import/Export button.
- Assign useful shortcuts to the actions. I use F10 for Edit, Opt-F10 for Edit without crossfades, and Cmd-Opt-F10 for Set up S/D.
- Configure the auto cross-fade length. Go to Extenseions - Command Parameters, and set the "Seconds (Edit cursor)" value to half the desired crossfade length. (i.e. for 30 ms crossfades, set to 0.015)

Setting up S/D editing:
- If you have multiple project tabs open, make sure your source is on the leftmost tab and that this tab is currently selected. Also, make sure all tracks are visible in TCP. Consider minimizing them instead.
- Execute the set-up action. It creates a new tab, copies the source tracks and the master FX chain, and asks you to save it. I recommend you to save it right away, but you can also cancel the dialog. After that, it reselects the source project.

Editing:
- To edit, you always need a time selection in your source project. Make a time selection around the audio that you desire to copy to your destination.
- If you are doing a 4 point edit, set the time selection in your destination to the desired region you want to replace.
- If you are doing a 3 point edit, remove the time selection in your destination project (if present) and set your playhead to the desired edit location.
- Execute the Edit action.

Notes:
- Three point edits are done by overwriting the content behind the destination playhead with the selected source audio. It only overwrites as long as the source selection's duration. If there is still audio behind the pasted material, a crossfade is created as if it was a four point edit. (In my workflow this situation is really rare, and I thought this behaviour would be the most useful)
- Four-point edits depend on ripple editing being activated in the destination project. It's automatically activated during set-up, but if you switch it off during your editing session, four point edits will break.
- Although these actions themselves do not depend on TCP visibility, I only tested this having all tracks visible. If you want to hide tracks during your S/D editing session, consider minimizing them as an alternative. If you really need to do this, make sure you hide them in both your source project and your destination project. At least, items and envelopes on hidden tracks are known not to be copied. If you have tracks hidden during set-up, they may not appear in your destination project. (Haven't tested this.)
- The Destination project is a copy as identical from the source as I could get it. The only things I know are not copied, are the values of the master fader and panpot, and the measurement units in the timeline. Will look at those in a future version.
- The actions expect the source to be on the leftmost open project tab, and the destination on the rightmost open project tab. I only tested this in an envrionment with two open tabs, but it should work OK with more, although if you want to use a tab in the middle as your source, you've got to move it to the left first.
- When the action makes the crossfade, it may be possible that a little very low (slowly played back) audio is audible. I suspect the SWS action that moves the cursor around is actually doing that, but I am not 100% certain about it. At least, it doesn't do any harm to your project.
- I haven't tested these on Windows, but I expect everything to work. Could anybody please confirm this?

I am eagerly waiting for your replies!
Attached Files
File Type: reaperkeymap Source-Destination Editing.ReaperKeyMap (989 Bytes, 1900 views)
pelleke is offline   Reply With Quote