Old 01-26-2023, 12:59 AM   #1
Time Waster
Human being with feelings

Default Big Town, Small Town

I assume this track is what's called EDM.
In my effort to move away from entirely 'in the box' production, I have exclusively used hardware synths as sound sources for this track (except for the vocals). However, all FX and all MIDI sequences are within reaper.

Synths: Korg MS-20, Korg Volca Bass, Korg Volca Beats and Arturia MicroBrute.
The MS-20 was sequenced through a home made MIDI to CV converter, which actually works!

Female vocals: courtesy of Amy the robot (ttsMP3.com).
Male vocals: courtesy of Russel Brian the robot (ttsMP3.com).

Private share at the moment:

https://soundcloud.com/thewastersoft...social_sharing

Critical comments welcome.

Edit: I've updated the song based on suggestions from forum members. See this post - https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...5&postcount=15

Last edited by Time Waster; 04-06-2023 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Link updated.
Time Waster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 09:48 AM   #2
msundh

When listening to this, I got the feeling that a duet, you and the robot, could sound really great.
Old 01-26-2023, 11:30 AM   #3
smueske

I absolutely loved this right up until the transition two thirds of the way through. Every decision until then felt spot on, surprising, and enjoyable. It just happens too quickly. No suggestions, and only my two cents.
smueske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 05:06 PM   #4
prom

Quite a serious song about neighbourhood watch schemes, fugitives and anonymity.

infectious techno pop!
prom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 06:20 PM   #5
Time Waster

Quote:
Originally Posted by msundh View Post
When listening to this, I got the feeling that a duet, you and the robot, could sound really great.
Originally there were a lot more lyrics and I did the vocals. It was supposed to be a sort of rap thing. However, it sounded like rubbish. I played it to my wife and she hated it. So I reduced the lyrics down to the essentials and commissioned Amy to do the vocals, because I didn't like the sound of my own voice. I did consider doing the You can hide, You can run etc. myself, but I though I should best stay out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smueske View Post
I absolutely loved this right up until the transition two thirds of the way through. Every decision until then felt spot on, surprising, and enjoyable. It just happens too quickly. No suggestions, and only my two cents.
Thanks for your appreciation. I did struggle with that transition. I reworked it three or four times, but I should look at it again because I tend to agree with you. I was trying to avoid the cliche riser thing with the doubling and re-doubling drum pattern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prom View Post
Quite a serious song about neighbourhood watch schemes, fugitives and anonymity.

infectious techno pop!
Thanks, I'm glad you appreciate the seriousness of it

The original lyrics went into much more detail. I will copy them below. It was framed as a speech or lecture. My wife, who was in Toastmasters a while ago, said "There is no way you would get up and say that! its repetitive and boring".
Old 01-26-2023, 06:21 PM   #6
Time Waster

The original lyrics are here - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hVe...usp=share_link

Last edited by Time Waster; 03-18-2023 at 06:32 AM. Reason: Posted link to file
Old 01-27-2023, 03:41 AM   #7
uksnowy

I really like this but, speaking as a dance DJ for decades, it in no way fits the EDM or Dance genre. Not to take anything away from the track, it great, unique. If I was pushed to bound it to a genre, I would say it has a Downtempo feel to it. If you have more like this please post.
Old 01-27-2023, 04:57 AM   #8
Time Waster

Thanks uksnowy. I'm a bit clueless when it comes to genres. I don't really target anything specific, it just comes out like it does.
Old 01-27-2023, 04:57 AM   #9
Time Waster

I've updated the file, having had another go at the recalcitrant transition.
Old 01-29-2023, 01:02 PM   #10
foxAsteria

FUNky! I think the mix could benefit from some panning of the elements. It's got good movement to the rhythm but seems to be mostly happening in mono. Maybe switching back and forth could make for some dynamic transitions. I likes it.
Old 01-29-2023, 07:13 PM   #11
Time Waster

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
FUNky! I think the mix could benefit from some panning of the elements. It's got good movement to the rhythm but seems to be mostly happening in mono. Maybe switching back and forth could make for some dynamic transitions. I likes it.
Thanks foxAsteria. I was being lazy with the panning. The Volca Beats only has one output and I just recorded it on one track. What I should do, is do multiple runs and record each instrument onto a separate track. I might go back and do that at some point. And of course that would also allow me put different effects on each and do post recording volume adjustments etc. At the moment the low tom is colliding with the bass. It seems to sound OK, but I would like to adjust it a bit to get some separation.
Old 02-01-2023, 05:17 PM   #12
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Waster View Post
I assume this track is what's called EDM.
In my effort to move away from entirely 'in the box' production, I have exclusively used hardware synths as sound sources for this track (except for the vocals). However, all FX and all MIDI sequences are within reaper.

Synths: Korg MS-20, Korg Volca Bass, Korg Volca Beats and Arturia MicroBrute.
The MS-20 was sequenced through a home made MIDI to CV converter, which actually works!
Very cool tune, and using real physical midi hardware, with a patchbay synth to boot!

I started out with a patchbay synth I built from a kit in the 70s like this one,

https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2...hands-on-demo/

and later added a 360 Systems Midi Bass, Sequential Circuits DrumTraks, and Oberheim TVS synth that could play *two* different notes at the same time!

https://www.vintagesynth.com/360%20Systems/MIDI_Bass
https://www.vintagesynth.com/sci/drumtrx.php
https://www.vintagesynth.com/oberheim/2voice.php
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 05:46 PM   #13
Time Waster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Very cool tune, and using real physical midi hardware, with a patchbay synth to boot!

I started out with a patchbay synth I built from a kit in the 70s like this one,

https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2...hands-on-demo/

and later added a 360 Systems Midi Bass, Sequential Circuits DrumTraks, and Oberheim TVS synth that could play *two* different notes at the same time!

https://www.vintagesynth.com/360%20Systems/MIDI_Bass
https://www.vintagesynth.com/sci/drumtrx.php
https://www.vintagesynth.com/oberheim/2voice.php
Cool gear! The Oberheim particularly, although the patchbay synth would be pretty good. I'm hoping to get around to building my own modular, based on the designs of Moritz Klein - https://www.youtube.com/c/MoritzKlein0/videos

My MS-20 is an original, which I bought second hand in '82. I also had a TR-606 drum machine, which I stupidly sold. I wanted to get a TB-303 bassline to go with the 606, but never got around to it. Damn! However, the Volcas are pretty good substitutes. Actually, in most respects I think the Volcas are better than the the old Roland machines, but they don't have the coolness factor (yet).
Old 02-01-2023, 06:13 PM   #14
Glennbo

Quote:
Cool gear! The Oberheim particularly, although the patchbay synth would be pretty good.
The Oberheim had CV and gate patch points on the back, as did an Arp String Ensemble I had back then, and you could do some cool things patching those three things together, and use the DrumTraks as a pulse clock for the sequencers in the two synths.

Quote:
I'm hoping to get around to building my own modular, based on the designs of Moritz Klein - https://www.youtube.com/c/MoritzKlein0/videos
Oh, that looks fun!

Quote:
My MS-20 is an original, which I bought second hand in '82. I also had a TR-606 drum machine, which I stupidly sold. I wanted to get a TB-303 bassline to go with the 606, but never got around to it. Damn! However, the Volcas are pretty good substitutes. Actually, in most respects I think the Volcas are better than the the old Roland machines, but they don't have the coolness factor (yet).
Ain't nothing wrong with the new small form factor synths that emulate the original larger units. I want a Behringer Model D, just coz it looks fun and I used to have a real MiniMoog in my studio. I just don't really need one enough to justify it, plus I already have the Arturia MiniMoog V plugin.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 06:25 AM   #15
Time Waster

File updated: I have made some changes to this song based on previous comments by members of this forum (see below). I have also remixed it using my newly acquired near field monitors, so I would be interested in comments on the mix. Up until now I have been mixing in headphones and then checking by trial and error through various sub standard systems.

Quote:
I resisted this idea at first, but then gave it a go. I'm not sure that it sounds "really great", but there it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
I think the mix could benefit from some panning of the elements. It's got good movement to the rhythm but seems to be mostly happening in mono. Maybe switching back and forth could make for some dynamic transitions.
I re-recorded the drums, separating out the parts onto individual tracks so that I could do some panning with them. I also did some random panning with one of the other sounds.

My wife says this song is boring. She wants to hear country music on the 'small town' part.
Old 03-18-2023, 09:57 AM   #16
smueske

I still love this track! I think it is clever and fun. I love the dichotomy and repetition.

I still think the vocal delivery is just unique enough to be interesting, but doesn't convey enough emotion (sarcasm, boredom, whatever). I mean, it's cool, but I really think you could push it to do something next level. Please don't be offended. It's just my gut level reaction.

The other thing that occurs to me is one version of this could be dramatically lengthened to be an extended cut dance version. There's an opportunity, for example, on the last segment, to start working in some more chords and variations. You could then do a short reprise of both the big town and small town segments.
Old 03-18-2023, 01:00 PM   #17
msundh

Quote:
I resisted this idea at first, but then gave it a go. I'm not sure that it sounds "really great", but there it is.
Yeah I was right!! Kidding.
As I said before this is not my genre, but some of your songs break that genre barrier and this is one of them.
Like like!!
Old 03-18-2023, 05:22 PM   #18
Time Waster

Quote:
I still think the vocal delivery is just unique enough to be interesting, but doesn't convey enough emotion (sarcasm, boredom, whatever). I mean, it's cool, but I really think you could push it to do something next level.
Thanks Steve, I can't do much about the robot vocals, but with my own vocals I agree. I did the vocals several times, but I'm not really happy with the results. I was trying to find a phrasing and intonation which would work with both the big town and the small town situations. Wrong approach. I will attempt to redo them with different emotions for each.

Quote:
The other thing that occurs to me is one version of this could be dramatically lengthened to be an extended cut dance version.
That could be a future project.

Quote:
Yeah I was right!! Kidding.
As I said before this is not my genre, but some of your songs break that genre barrier and this is one of them.
Like like!!
Thanks Mikael, It turned out to be a good suggestion, but hopefully I can improve it.
Old 03-18-2023, 08:18 PM   #19
Time Waster

But what about the mix?
Old 03-19-2023, 04:19 PM   #20
asharin

Well I enjoyed it
asharin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 05:45 AM   #21
Time Waster

Thanks asharin
Old 03-23-2023, 05:48 AM   #22
Time Waster

OK, one more time, with feeling. I redid my vocal part.

What about the mix though? Did I mention that I'm trying out my new monitors?
Old 03-23-2023, 06:48 PM   #23
asharin

Quote:
OK, one more time, with feeling. I redid my vocal part.

What about the mix though? Did I mention that I'm trying out my new monitors?
I like this version even better, mix sounds fine to me...but what would I really know about mixing? haha
asharin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 02:58 AM   #24
Time Waster

Thanks again asharin, hopefully this is the last iteration.
Old 03-26-2023, 10:59 AM   #25
smueske

I like what you've done on the small town segment, with a filtered voice and then a straightforward voice. Fits together nicely.

I am unsure about the whisper in the big town segment. I think it works, largely, and I get it conceptually. One thing I miss, though, is that the segments were largely the same with different words, which gave it a kind of "same but different" vibe, that is, it seemed to be a comment on the human condition. This is a comment also, but it sort of changes the scope (if that makes any kind of sense).
Old 03-27-2023, 03:58 PM   #26
Time Waster

Quote:
I am unsure about the whisper in the big town segment. I think it works, largely, and I get it conceptually. One thing I miss, though, is that the segments were largely the same with different words, which gave it a kind of "same but different" vibe, that is, it seemed to be a comment on the human condition. This is a comment also, but it sort of changes the scope (if that makes any kind of sense).
Thanks Steve, I understand what you are saying. The original intent was the "same but different" approach, but I though I would try the "different and different" approach to see if that worked. I'll do another version with the latest 'small town' style vocals in the 'big town' section and see how it goes. I'll report back in a weeks or so, as I'm busy with other stuff at the moment. This has turned into a real collaborative effort with everyone's input. Thanks to all.

I'll assume that the mix is OK, given that no-one has commented on it to the contrary.
Old 04-03-2023, 08:14 AM   #27
Time Waster

OK, yet another rendition (up to version 10 now). The file in post #1 has been updated. This time I have replaced my own vocals with male robot vocals. I think this better matches the female vocals, but still gives the contrast.
Old 04-03-2023, 09:15 AM   #28
msundh

This works as well, but your vocal was a bit better.
Old 04-03-2023, 03:27 PM   #29
Time Waster

Damn, I was trying to avoid setting up my mic again

Not a good night all round really. I was trying to improve the bottom end by adding side chain compression to the bass to duck the kick. It didn't seem to be doing much. I woke up this morning and realised I had been increasing the attack time instead of the release. D'oh.
Old 04-04-2023, 05:10 PM   #30
prom

Russel's accent is perfect addition
I was expecting your voice to feature over lovely computer world style second half.
Pulsing stab repeat (too prom-inent or too often maybe?)
Keep going with this!
prom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 06:47 PM   #31
Time Waster

Quote:
I was expecting your voice to feature over lovely computer world style second half.
I didn't want to ruin it.

Quote:
Pulsing stab repeat (too prom-inent or too often maybe?)
Yes, it is to prominent when I listen back. I must have crept the level up when I was adjusting the side chain.

Thanks prom.

Last edited by Time Waster; 04-04-2023 at 06:59 PM.
Old 04-06-2023, 08:01 AM   #32
Time Waster

Version 11. Like me, Russel got the sack (Aussies just don't cut it for this song). Brian has taken his place. He's more complimentary to Amy, he's from the same part of the world.

Final mix I hope.
Old 04-15-2023, 06:21 AM   #33
41TWIN

Nice clear mix and cool sounds!

Nice job.
41TWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 09:10 AM   #34
smueske

Still loving it! I think you can put a stamp on it. It's done.
Old 04-17-2023, 06:52 PM   #35
Time Waster

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41TWIN View Post
Nice clear mix and cool sounds!

Nice job.
Thanks 41TWIN.

Quote:
Thanks Steve, the track is now public.