Old 12-08-2019, 10:33 PM   #1
synkrotron
Human being with feelings

Default The Dumping Ground

Hi Peeps,

Well... What can I say... I have been inspired to have a bash at creating a new theme primarily based on the REAPER V6 default theme.

Initially I will be using all the images supplied with the R6 default theme. So a question on that would be around "intellectual property."

Is it safe to use those images as-is and just credit the source, ie, Cockos?

It isn't like I will be offering my new theme for others to use as it will be an entirely personal thing based on my very simple needs.

As for the rtconfig text file, I am pretty much going to attempt to build that from the ground up and become more familiar with WALTER, at least the bits that I need to build a basic theme.

So I thought I would start off this topic in order to track my progress and I hope Peeps don't mind.

Wish me luck!

I could get bored very quickly haha!

cheers

andy

Last edited by synkrotron; 12-09-2019 at 02:24 PM.
synkrotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 12:52 AM   #2
Quasar

Best of luck! I have a work in progress too, but I've already spent too much time getting little bits of info here and there, tweaking this and that, and it's driving me dizzy...

...v6 is a long way from being usable for me, and I'm quite happy with my customized v5, so I'm going to wait until the dust settles.

For example, I finally had the TCP looking how I like, with grey unselected tracks and white selected tracks, with the colors only visible in the track number box, but the color does not move with the track when indented in a folder. Most frustrating.

So I'm done tripping on it for now. I really appreciate the new MIDI CC envelopes, and Reaper 6 works great with my v5-based theme. So I'm good.
Quasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 12:58 AM   #3
synkrotron

Hi Quasar

Thanks.

Time wise, yeah, I probably should be making music not faffing with code I don't understand for the most part. I will probably give this new focus another couple of weeks and then start making music in the new year.

I, too, think the V5 theme works well with V6 and I could simply stick with that. But once I get my teeth into an idea I generally obsess over it. Woke up for a pee at 04:30 then couldn't get back to sleep because I had this idea going round in my head. So I got up and three hours later I am still here, learning a bit at a time

cheers

andy
Old 12-09-2019, 05:14 AM   #4
lerian

Please share your knowledge with us, especially walter related - any tips, tweaks are most welcomed. I made a thread for that, to have them in one place https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=228367

Thank you
lerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 05:46 AM   #5
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by synkrotron View Post
Initially I will be using all the images supplied with the R6 default theme. So a question on that would be around "intellectual property."

Is it safe to use those images as-is and just credit the source, ie, Cockos?
Pffft no, just get on with it As long as you're making a Reaper theme, its all fair game.

If you make a mod of a theme and pass it off as your own creation, people will think you're lame. If you use bits from a non-cockos theme and don't credit the creator, people will think you're an arse. But you're not going to get into trouble. Its only if you use cockos material in non-Reaper content, or if you start selling themes containing other people's work, that there will be anything to be concerned about.

Have fun!
Old 12-09-2019, 05:59 AM   #6
YuriOl

Maybe someone will like)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xlit92mnku...0%3D-.rar?dl=0
YuriOl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 07:55 AM   #7
S.L.I.P.

Nice work YuriOl

https://youtu.be/N0lb9Wt-acA?si=z7Dxj0lJnre6_y9E
S.L.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 02:10 PM   #8
Gravity791

Default -= YuriOl Mix 6 Light =-

This is a really nice theme. Works well for me, especially using ReaTune since it retains the light background on the Manual correction part of the plugin.

Thanks for providing the links.
Gravity791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 02:24 PM   #9
synkrotron

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
Have fun!
Thanks, and points noted

I will probably develop my own images as I go along. But they will not hold a candle to anything else done around here.

cheers

andy

By the way, I'm going to change the title of my original post to reflect that for some reason my topic has become a dumping ground for someone else's theme...
Old 12-09-2019, 02:49 PM   #10
S.L.I.P.

-= YuriOl Mix 6 Light =- is really working out well for me. Thanks again! I think it would be great if you post your themes in a new thread so more people can see it.

https://youtu.be/N0lb9Wt-acA?si=z7Dxj0lJnre6_y9E
S.L.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 03:06 PM   #11
YuriOl

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.L.I.P. View Post
-= YuriOl Mix 6 Light =- is really working out well for me. Thanks again! I think it would be great if you post your themes in a new thread so more people can see it.
ОК! Thank you!!
YuriOl is offline   Reply With Quote