Old 05-29-2007, 05:57 PM   #1
munzmusic
Human being with feelings

Default noob loop

Trying to record a simple loop so I don't have to play the whole song every time. I'm playing each instrument (guitar, bass, drums, vox) so, I'd like to save as much time as possible. Having some trouble getting a good click track down as a foundation. Shouldn't be too hard but as a resident in noob-land, it somehow always is.

Also, once I get a click track down, how to go about recording loops so that they don't sound like they are being looped?

Peace
munzmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 11:26 PM   #2
jamester

A click track? Not sure what you mean as far as "getting one going" but you do know Reaper has a built-in metronome, right? It's one of the buttons at the top of the track view.

What exactly are you trying to record? Loops always sound like loops, because they're looped! ;-)
jamester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 12:08 PM   #3
munzmusic

Been thinking some more about this...what if you it laid out three tracks of midi drums (say a bass drum, snare and hi-hat) and then combined into one track (don't know how that would work quite yet) and imported that track into the metronome? Wouldn't that give you a pretty solid click track?

I just want something that sounds like a drum machine that I can easily change the tempo when recording different songs.

Thanks for the input,

peace
munzmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 05:37 AM   #4
lowest form

If you're just using audio tracks and placing small clips of sound on them (eg: bass on track 1, snare on track 2, etc) then you should probably keep them seperate if you want to use this as a sort of template and change the tempo for different songs. Combining them on one track would probably get messy once you changed the tempo. However, Reaper does have that amazingly funky 'track speed' slider thing under the master volume. What an amazing idea that was!.. like having a tape speed control on a DAW...sorted

If you used a VSTi/Soft Sampler of some sort, you could create a drum beat on one track and change the tempo to your hearts desire. There are a lot of free demo soft samplers out there that should do the job for laying down a basic beat or loop. If you have a loop going, you can change the pitch of it to make it fit different tempos.

Don't really understand what you mean about 'importing into the metronome'
lowest form is offline   Reply With Quote