Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 09-28-2011, 02:07 PM   #81
plgrmsprgrs
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
so the beri's could be on their side?
You might find this a helpful read Jason. I've been trying to figure out my own placement puzzle.

http://www.bobhodas.com/educational-resources.html

Kyle
Old 09-28-2011, 04:35 PM   #82
drybij

OK - First time I had a chance to pay attention...

It seems one of the speakers is outputting quite a bit more hiss than the other even with the sensitivity turned all the way down. Adjusting the balance knob makes no difference. Nor does unplugging the input cable - 1/4" TS. When I play music through this same speaker, there are distortions, crackles. An A440 tone sounds fuzzy.

The other speaker sounds fine, silent, clear.

Uh Oh - HELP!
drybij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:43 PM   #83
roygbiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
not a bad idea, thanks!

so the beri's could be on their side?
Actually, I'm not sure about if that is as good (probably less good on its side, realistically - I think most monitors supposedly are not as good on their side due to time-alignment issues that I can't remember).

I was just thinking doing so would let you quickly test your new monitors, without a lot of dismantling (if your recording area is like mine, you don't have an excess of free horizontal space to put something like a monitor, even temporarily)
roygbiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:13 PM   #84
JHughes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drybij View Post
OK - First time I had a chance to pay attention...

It seems one of the speakers is outputting quite a bit more hiss than the other even with the sensitivity turned all the way down. Adjusting the balance knob makes no difference. Nor does unplugging the input cable - 1/4" TS. When I play music through this same speaker, there are distortions, crackles. An A440 tone sounds fuzzy.

The other speaker sounds fine, silent, clear.

Uh Oh - HELP!
That sounds like an internal connection or worse an electronics defect in the monitor. But it's a different problem than JBM has.
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:33 AM   #85
Jae.Thomas

I strongly suggest contacting their support staff, they are extremely helpful.
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:03 PM   #86
drybij

Did that - a replacement is being sent. These guys seem really interested with making their customers happy.

As it should be.
drybij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:59 PM   #87
the all new rob

Whatever it's worth, mine function fine and seem well worth the price. No QC issues to report.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:23 AM   #88
Tonehenge

Default Session experience with D5

Been working on PG Music tracking for Band In A Box Realtracks. We've been recording tuba. The D5's have been great, particularly when identifying pitch issues. The producer of the sessions is ordering a pair for himself...
Old 09-30-2011, 11:04 AM   #89
Tonehenge

Default No time-alignment issues here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by roygbiv View Post
Actually, I'm not sure about if that is as good (probably less good on its side, realistically - I think most monitors supposedly are not as good on their side due to time-alignment issues that I can't remember).

I was just thinking doing so would let you quickly test your new monitors, without a lot of dismantling (if your recording area is like mine, you don't have an excess of free horizontal space to put something like a monitor, even temporarily)
The beauty of this design is that the high frequency and low frequency driver are on the same axis. You can rotate the cabinet anyway you like. Phase difficulties happen in the crossover region, and the output from a tweeter tends to lobe vertically in a conventional speaker, especially in those areas where the tweeter and mid-woofer are both functioning. You'll notice that speaker designers will deal with this by offsetting the drivers in a mirror image arrangement (NS10M's do this). The beauty of the Equator approach is that it addresses the issue both mechanically (in the form of a time-aligned coaxial driver), and electro-digitally (using DSP to address crossover issues in a way that would be very difficult to emulate in a passive speaker dividing network). More than anything, else, this R&D is what is responsible for an uncommonly transparent and revealing midrange.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:38 PM   #90
roygbiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonehenge View Post
The beauty of this design is that the high frequency and low frequency driver are on the same axis. You can rotate the cabinet anyway you like. Phase difficulties happen in the crossover region, and the output from a tweeter tends to lobe vertically in a conventional speaker, especially in those areas where the tweeter and mid-woofer are both functioning. You'll notice that speaker designers will deal with this by offsetting the drivers in a mirror image arrangement (NS10M's do this). The beauty of the Equator approach is that it addresses the issue both mechanically (in the form of a time-aligned coaxial driver), and electro-digitally (using DSP to address crossover issues in a way that would be very difficult to emulate in a passive speaker dividing network). More than anything, else, this R&D is what is responsible for an uncommonly transparent and revealing midrange.
Hi Tonehenge

I actually was referring to the Behringer monitors, but thanks for the info about the Equator. More compelling reasons to consider buying a pair - apparently they can be either horizontal or vertical!
Old 10-01-2011, 09:17 AM   #91
Narcoleptigon

I am very intrigued by these monitors. I have a few questions.

I have my Event ALP5 monitors ~1 meter apart. Is that enough distance for accurate imaging with the D5's?

Since the D5's incorporate DSP, there must be on-board ADC/DAC, correct? If so, why not include a digital input?

What kind of digital filtering is used for driver correction? Phase Linear filters require added latency and can create audible artifacts. How did they get around that?
Narcoleptigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:14 AM   #92
Tonehenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcoleptigon View Post
I am very intrigued by these monitors. I have a few questions.

I have my Event ALP5 monitors ~1 meter apart. Is that enough distance for accurate imaging with the D5's?

Since the D5's incorporate DSP, there must be on-board ADC/DAC, correct? If so, why not include a digital input?

What kind of digital filtering is used for driver correction? Phase Linear filters require added latency and can create audible artifacts. How did they get around that?
My guess is that the DSP is not actually built in to the speaker, but rather, the active crossover in the speaker is manipulated by an external computer hooked up to the port that is on the backside. My other conjecture is that the port is made available to fine tune the speaker to perform within very tight tolerances. I simply cannot see how a speaker actually equipped with d/a conversion could have converters of any value at this specified price point.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:16 AM   #93
Narcoleptigon

I've read and I believe that with the advances in A/D/A tech over the last few years, newer chips are on par with high end stuff from a decade ago.

In any case, perhaps an Equator rep has some answers?
Old 10-01-2011, 11:52 AM   #94
JHughes
Banned

(Not@Narco) Gee, electronics keep getting better and cheaper, what a shock...

What I need to know is how mixes translate using these.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:52 PM   #95
sstillwell

Just ordered a pair...we'll see how they stand up to my KRK Rokit Powered 5 G2.

My room and setup is cr*p, but I get the job done anyway. I noticed a huge difference moving from the Alesis M1 Actives that I used to have to the KRKs...maybe I'll get lucky and see a similar difference with moving to these.

I hope so...my mixes moved up a big notch when I replaced monitors last time.

Scott
Old 10-01-2011, 07:27 PM   #96
Narcoleptigon

I imagine they'll be clearer and more linear throughout the entire spectrum, and with a wider sweet spot. I'm seriously thinking about ordering, myself. I am curious about the hi-freq dispersion. The specs don't mention it.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:33 PM   #97
JHughes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstillwell View Post
Just ordered a pair...we'll see how they stand up to my KRK Rokit Powered 5 G2.
That will be an excellent comparison, looking very much forward to it! I've used Gen 1 of those monitors before and know the KRK sound from demoing others.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:25 AM   #98
karbomusic

Mine will be here tomorrow morning.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:58 AM   #99
Narcoleptigon

http://www.equatoraudio.com/AboutUs.asp mentions the forthcoming DF5i. Bet that will have user controlled DSP and, unless sold direct, a much higher price.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:18 AM   #100
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcoleptigon View Post
http://www.equatoraudio.com/AboutUs.asp mentions the forthcoming DF5i. Bet that will have user controlled DSP and, unless sold direct, a much higher price.
more likely, that is the international version

anyway, I got my replacement today, looking forward to test these out. Until then, have to write a paper.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:47 AM   #101
Narcoleptigon

oh, yeah. The "i" could mean international. Actually, the "DF" could mean "Damn Foreigner" version.
There is mention of a possible enhanced interface version in future: http://studio-central.com/phpbb/view...p?f=15&t=80645
"Donnie B." said the D5 does have on-board AD/DA, which also means two more preamp stages than with a dedicated DI. Modern IC preamps are so transparent it should be no matter of concern. Even my old Emu 0404 card measured 108 dBa S/N. The amp probably produces much more noise than the converters. Actually, the speakers produce much higher distortions than decent amps and preamp's, so it really shouldn't make any audible difference. I still am curious about the DSP causing audible artifacts. Perhaps, that's been ironed out?
Old 10-05-2011, 06:32 AM   #102
Alistair S

Mine arrived today.

So far, I'm very impressed. I need to set them up better but, even as they are, I think they are an upgrade on my current monitors (Tapco S5s). They are quite light and small, which I like, but the sound is excellent.

I'm still messing around and want to check them out with some more revealing material, but first impressions are highly positive.
Alistair S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:12 PM   #103
roygbiv

hey

Any more comments on these? I'm intrigued, but curious what some of you guys are finding after some time using the speakers.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:23 PM   #104
JHughes
Banned

I agree! Someone do a quick mix on these and listen to it in your car!
Old 10-08-2011, 11:16 AM   #105
mixer

I hear good things about the Audioengine A5's.

http://www.amazon.com/Audioengine-Po.../dp/B000OABTPQ

Although advertised as multimdedia speakers, see this review:

http://photo.it-enquirer.com/2009/01...udioengine-a5/

Can anybody compare the the A5's and the D5's? I don't have either, but itching to get a second pair. (Currently have KRK RP8G2. I like them, but would like another pair for comparison.)
mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 11:55 AM   #106
Tonehenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixer View Post
I hear good things about the Audioengine A5's.

http://www.amazon.com/Audioengine-Po.../dp/B000OABTPQ

Although advertised as multimdedia speakers, see this review:

http://photo.it-enquirer.com/2009/01...udioengine-a5/

Can anybody compare the the A5's and the D5's? I don't have either, but itching to get a second pair. (Currently have KRK RP8G2. I like them, but would like another pair for comparison.)
I just ditched the A5's I thought highly of in favour of the Equator D5's. There is no comparison. I reiterate, while the A5s represent a good value, the D5s are grotesquely underpriced. Their performance is better compared to similarly sized Adam or Dynaudio products.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:36 PM   #107
Jae.Thomas

been REALLY busy with school lately, haven't had nearly a second.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:26 PM   #108
sstillwell

Ummm, wow.

First impression...DAMN these are mid-forward compared to my KRK RPG5.

Second impression...hmmm...maybe the KRKs are a bit scooped.

Third impression (listening to a project that I've spent WAY too much time working on)...oh, wow, didn't hear THAT before. That sucks, I need to fix that.

They're not as sweet sounding as the KRKs, but they do carry sh*tloads of detail I wasn't catching before. That's kinda the point, isn't it?

I'm not sure I like them as speakers, per se, but I get the feeling they may be what I need for monitors. They don't flatter the sound..."relentlessly honest" is about where I'd put them so far.

I need to put more plain old listening hours on them before I get truly used to them and able to mix...but I'll give 'em a provisional thumbs-up for now.

Scott
Old 10-08-2011, 06:29 PM   #109
Tonehenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstillwell View Post
Ummm, wow.

First impression...DAMN these are mid-forward compared to my KRK RPG5.

Second impression...hmmm...maybe the KRKs are a bit scooped.

Third impression (listening to a project that I've spent WAY too much time working on)...oh, wow, didn't hear THAT before. That sucks, I need to fix that.

They're not as sweet sounding as the KRKs, but they do carry sh*tloads of detail I wasn't catching before. That's kinda the point, isn't it?

I'm not sure I like them as speakers, per se, but I get the feeling they may be what I need for monitors. They don't flatter the sound..."relentlessly honest" is about where I'd put them so far.

I need to put more plain old listening hours on them before I get truly used to them and able to mix...but I'll give 'em a provisional thumbs-up for now.

Scott
Scott...I concur completely. That's why I'm elevating them as critical monitors. Relentlessly honest is a superb descriptive.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:32 PM   #110
Jae.Thomas

i nearly killed my ears on them listening to some cymbals that sounded fine elsewhere.

that was a welcome situation
Old 10-09-2011, 11:45 PM   #111
HOFX

In terms of using them for critcal monitoring of the mid-range, how would they compliment a home studio differently to an Avantone mix cube? http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MixCubes/
HOFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:39 AM   #112
Tonehenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOFX View Post
In terms of using them for critcal monitoring of the mid-range, how would they compliment a home studio differently to an Avantone mix cube? http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MixCubes/
The Avantones are a minor cosmetic update from the original Auratone, and quite frankly, the necessity for a device like this has sharply diminished since the advent of the Auratone. The Auratone was designed to roughly approximate the sonic impact of a single full-range speaker in the dashboard of a car, circa 60's and 70's. This was at a time when AM was still a force in music listening. The need for a monitoring reference with such a sharply curtailed frequency response AND dynamic range is for the most part, far behind us. I'm not saying the Avantone's aren't useful, it's just that their utility is very narrow in a modern context. The D5's are a superb full range powered monitor, and better equipped in terms of mid-range resolution than virtually anything else in it's current price range.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:27 AM   #113
HOFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonehenge View Post
The Avantones are a minor cosmetic update from the original Auratone, and quite frankly, the necessity for a device like this has sharply diminished since the advent of the Auratone. The Auratone was designed to roughly approximate the sonic impact of a single full-range speaker in the dashboard of a car, circa 60's and 70's. This was at a time when AM was still a force in music listening. The need for a monitoring reference with such a sharply curtailed frequency response AND dynamic range is for the most part, far behind us. I'm not saying the Avantone's aren't useful, it's just that their utility is very narrow in a modern context. The D5's are a superb full range powered monitor, and better equipped in terms of mid-range resolution than virtually anything else in it's current price range.
Thanks for the reply, a solid answer like that was what I was looking for!
Old 10-10-2011, 03:39 AM   #114
pixeltarian

I wonder how these would compare to my tannoy 5a monitors...
pixeltarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:20 AM   #115
Tonehenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeltarian View Post
I wonder how these would compare to my tannoy 5a monitors...
Having not heard those specific Tannoy's, I don't know. I do remember owning a set of the original passive Reveal's for a time, and being struck by how similarly they were voiced to a variety of 6.5" 2-way consumer loudspeakers... Not necessarily a bad thing, but just a revelation as to how these manufacturers felt about the project studio market. They evidently and correctly came to the conclusion that the project studio consumer was the same guy wandering into Best Buy to purchase a stereo system, and using the same criteria to purchase...a thoroughly subjective and emotional criteria. The fact is, my Reveal's were fundamentally cosmetically different versions of the Tannoy Mercury M2 consumer speakers available at the same time. http://www.tnt-audio.com/casse/mercury2e.html A cursory examination of the photograph reveals what are the same drivers as the red faced Reveals. Now a person could argue that the dividing network may well have been altered to reflect the needs of the project studio, but the subjective description of the sound of the Mercury's in the accompanied review struck a resonance with me...I remembered the Reveals actually sounding like that description. The fact is, to the less discriminate purchaser, a more expensive to engineer offering like the Equator D5 could end up sounding less compelling at 1st blush when compared to a speaker that has a little more bloom in the bass. A company like Tannoy is as much a marketing company as they are an engineering company. A classic success for a company like this is to invest their best engineering into their top of the line, cost no object products, collect plaudits and professional endorsements from around the globe, then re-invest that feedback into the marketing of their higher margin, but more popularly priced mass market products. They all do it, with JBL being perhaps the most flagrant abuser of this kind of marketing.
The Equator D5 seems to turn this thinking on it's ear. I don't have to be a Philadelphia lawyer to figure out that the D5 is dramatically over-engineered for it's price point. The performance of the speaker suggests a sophistication that no other competitor would be interested in investing into an entry level offering. There is also a risk attached. The British loudspeaker manufacturer Wharfedale had a massive hit on their hands in the 1980's, with the introduction of a diminutive, shoebox sized offering called the Diamond. It sold by the bushelfuls, sounded amazing, and was dirt cheap. It negatively impacted their higher priced, higher margin offerings, and nearly sunk the company, by virtue of severely cutting into it's profitability.
In any event, I expect the D5 to become a cult favourite. I just hope the word of mouth, direct marketing approach generates enough sales to sustain it's existence.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:18 AM   #116
k3yPr0gg3r

Default Re: D5 Room Set Up

Patiently (NOT) waiting for my D5's to arrive. Any suggestions regarding set-up of these monitors...(i.e. angle of housing, distance from back of cabinet to wall, etc.)

Thank you!
k3yPr0gg3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:55 AM   #117
Sigilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by henge View Post
The environment of the car is probably just as important as the car speakers. It seems to me the only way to replicate a car stereo is to listen in a car.
That settles it, we must have a car in the studio for monitoring. With red leather of course.
Sigilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:12 AM   #118
GregHolmes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth R. View Post
That settles it, we must have a car in the studio for monitoring. With red leather of course.
Some studios had a low power radio transmitter and you'd get in your car, tune the radio to the right channel, and rock out to your tune.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:11 PM   #119
k3yPr0gg3r

Default Re: D5 Set-up

This is directed at the "ney-sayers" of the Equator D5s. I lost some hearing years back due to an illness, and now have a "not-so-nice" 10khz-13khz low ringing. After I set up the D5's I could tell immediately how crisp and clear they were!!! Had an old set of Samson 50a's, and MOST of my mixes where MUD when translating to other speakers. Now, I feel pretty damn confident that...with proper referencing and processing...my mixing / mastering skill level will increase substantially! Thank you Ted K. and Equator!!
k3yPr0gg3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:38 PM   #120
HOFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3yPr0gg3r View Post
This is directed at the "ney-sayers" of the Equator D5s. I lost some hearing years back due to an illness, and now have a "not-so-nice" 10khz-13khz low ringing. After I set up the D5's I could tell immediately how crisp and clear they were!!! Had an old set of Samson 50a's, and MOST of my mixes where MUD when translating to other speakers. Now, I feel pretty damn confident that...with proper referencing and processing...my mixing / mastering skill level will increase substantially! Thank you Ted K. and Equator!!
Good to hear!

I just pulled the trigger on these, however, I won't get to play with them until June next year...long story.