Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 06-17-2014, 05:36 PM   #1
AmmoniumNitrate
Banned

Default Amplitube 3 v. Guitar Rig 5, or something else?

Looking to record a direct signal from guitar and then put it through an amp sim. How should I decide between Amplitube 3 and Guitar Rig 5; or should I be looking at other options too?

I want to do some stuff overdriven / distorted along the lines of Black Sabbath, Megadeth, and Slayer's rhythm guitar and bass guitar.

What should I do.

Last edited by AmmoniumNitrate; 06-18-2014 at 10:40 AM.
AmmoniumNitrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:08 PM   #2
AmmoniumNitrate
Banned

I guess this is the most asked question on the internet, and there's no consensus.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:33 PM   #3
Fergler
Human being with feelings

Shred Free, and awesome.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:09 PM   #4
AmmoniumNitrate
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
Shred Free, and awesome.
Thanks for the tip. I'll get it if I can figure out where to download it. This doesn't seem to lead anywhere useful:

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/shre..._by_acmebargig

or I'm doing something wrong.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:12 PM   #5
edkilp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmmoniumNitrate View Post
Thanks for the tip. I'll get it if I can figure out where to download it. This doesn't seem to lead anywhere useful:

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/shre..._by_acmebargig

or I'm doing something wrong.
I have it. It's free, so I could send it to you somehow.....unless that violates some policy or agreement somewhere
edkilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:08 AM   #6
Repetition Compulsion

If you have an iPad or iPhone, Positive Grid's JamUp Pro & Bias are excellent apps. I was able to get a very satisfactory tone without more than 20 minutes of tweaking for two different guitar tones in a song.

Going all software...I dunno. I've heard great things about poulin's amp sims, but so far I haven't got anything useful out of them--worth noting I haven't tried much either.
Repetition Compulsion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 05:17 AM   #7
AmmoniumNitrate
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repetition Compulsion View Post
If you have an iPad or iPhone, Positive Grid's JamUp Pro & Bias are excellent apps. I was able to get a very satisfactory tone without more than 20 minutes of tweaking for two different guitar tones in a song.

Going all software...I dunno. I've heard great things about poulin's amp sims, but so far I haven't got anything useful out of them--worth noting I haven't tried much either.
I downloaded poulin's sims tonight, also nothing worthwhile from them yet, but it doesn't help that I'm a very, very inexperienced guitarist.

I do have a Pod HD, but I really need to record direct and then run through amp simulation after it's been recorded. Because I want to do things to the dry signal before I put it through an amp. Plus my not liking the Pod very much (I liked Pod XT better). I only have PC, but thanks for the recommendation.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:21 AM   #8
Repetition Compulsion

I have a PodHD also, still settling into it & trying to get the tone I want...also coming from an XT.

Here's what I do:

Guitar > Pod Input
Pod Line Out (mono) > Interface Ch1
Pod Dry Out > Interface Ch2
Interface Ch1 > Reaper Wet Track
Interface Ch2 > Reaper Dry Track

Now I have both a wet & dry recorded tone, so I can:
Give Reaper Dry Track a hardware send of Line Out 5 & NO master/parent send
Plug Line Out 5 into Line in Left of the PodHD
Set PodHD to look for input on LineIn L

Mute & Arm Reaper Wet Track, turn on input monitoring
UnMute Reaper Dry Track
Disable direct monitoring of the PodHD
Press play (or record) and now I'm hearing the PodHD tone, post reaper processing, in the mix. I can tweak it 'live' so to speak, and then record it again.

If you're using a Pod that doesn't have a Dry Out, you would just need to modify the setup a bit so that the guitar is plugged into your interface instead and you record dry that way. There are great tones to be had there, I know it, its just taking me some tweaking to get it. I do, however, believe that it'll be easier to get sweet tones out of the Pod than it would be to find free amp sims & cab impulses and get something out of that. Try looking through this if you haven't yet, its helped me get a lot closer to where I want to be: http://www.foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/
Old 06-19-2014, 01:20 AM   #9
Klemperer

Additionally to the answers, you might demo the Kuassa ampsims.

I have GR (2-4) and Amplitube, but found those 3 from Kuassa very useful. Depending on your needs - a 7 hour's tweaker in search of the holy grail or a player who wants to play after just shortly fuzzing^^ around - you might even demo db-audioware's Flying Haggis. I like that still, but of course you do not get a huge choice like with Amplitube's "custom shop" and many dozens of amps and so on.

Guitar Rig is - for many, not for all - unsatisfying for the guitar tone alone, yet highly valued for the great effects - even by users who don't play guitar.
Lots of great freeware is also around, like the already mentioned le Pou and more. You might just read sites like - just an example - those like this one here: http://en.audiofanzine.com/plugin-am...itar-amps.html just to get the names
Klemperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:00 AM   #10
Arran

I've got a few of the paid sims - Kuassa Amp1 and Creme, ABG Headcase, Revalver HP, TSE X50, Amplitube SVT, Torpedo WOS, but for classic rock tones that actually seem to behave like a real amp I keep coming back to freeware:
AXP's Charbooster > Ignite's Anvil > Reaverb with custom IR I made from freeware impulses.
For Hi gain tones TSE's X50 is my current fave, although the Anvil with a tube screamer is also excellent.
Arran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:38 AM   #11
AmmoniumNitrate
Banned

Quote:
Plug Line Out 5 into Line in Left of the PodHD
Set PodHD to look for input on LineIn L
I'm not finding a Line in Left on my Pod HD, maybe because I have the Desktop model?
Old 06-19-2014, 02:46 AM   #12
AmmoniumNitrate
Banned

Thanks for all the recommendations. I'll research all the options recommended here. Last time I was researching amp sims was 2005, and Pod XT was an easy choice. I see a lot has happened since then.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:44 AM   #13
Repetition Compulsion

Yeah sorry my setup relates to the hd pro. You can still achieve the same thing you would just have to record the DI track in another manner and then plug the interface output into the guitar input when you want to reamp.

Tell me what interface you're using and I'll see if I can put together a setup if you'd like.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:06 AM   #14
AmmoniumNitrate
Banned

Quote:
Yeah sorry my setup relates to the hd pro. You can still achieve the same thing you would just have to record the DI track in another manner and then plug the interface output into the guitar input when you want to reamp.

Tell me what interface you're using and I'll see if I can put together a setup if you'd like.
Pod HD Desktop is pretty much my only interface. When I'm playing back from Reaper, it uses the Pod as the output device, and then on to my headphones. I haven't needed more than that, as I don't record anything except guitar. Beyond that, my computer has S/PDIF output only, and mini-jack in/out for the built-in soundcard. I appreciate your advice on this.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:25 AM   #15
Repetition Compulsion

Ahhh gotcha. I'm not sure that there's going to be a way for you to re-amp then. Unfortunately the Pod doesn't allow for it via USB (you can't tell it to look for input over USB, only the physical connections).

If you can use the S/PDIF connections on your computer to send the dry signal to the pod while also recording via the pod, then you might be able to accomplish it. But in my experience Reaper REALLY doesn't like having different input/output devices, so that might not work. Re-Amping is just one spot where line6 screwed everybody on the HD series, they made it way more difficult than it needs to be.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:11 AM   #16
AmmoniumNitrate
Banned

Quote:
Ahhh gotcha. I'm not sure that there's going to be a way for you to re-amp then. Unfortunately the Pod doesn't allow for it via USB (you can't tell it to look for input over USB, only the physical connections).

If you can use the S/PDIF connections on your computer to send the dry signal to the pod while also recording via the pod, then you might be able to accomplish it. But in my experience Reaper REALLY doesn't like having different input/output devices, so that might not work. Re-Amping is just one spot where line6 screwed everybody on the HD series, they made it way more difficult than it needs to be.
Was afraid that was the deal with HD Desktop and re-amping. Surely I can find a better JCM800 sim among the other options. One good JCM800 sim would probably get me where I want to be.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:15 AM   #17
Fergler

This torrent has all the free AcmeBarGig guitar releases from their old site:
http://kickass.to/acmebargig-guitar-...-t4804455.html

Use uTorrent, if you don't have something already, to grab it.

This is the download I used, I kept everything for a while but eventually settled on just Shred and ditched the other series of amp heads and such. They don't really offer anything above what Shred does + shred has all the cabinet and microphone settings.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:25 AM   #18
Fergler

Here it is as an upload if you are weary of torrents:

http://www.wikiupload.com/CP7DTV9LZ3DPRIY

I also suggest you try out my noise reduction settings for two ReaEQ plugins, as an fx chain:

http://www.wikiupload.com/U8HKVDGFE8DWAD5

Put this before everything in the chain, and use the Base setting and strength settings in the parameter modulation of the second plugin to adjust for your guitar. I made this for a humbucker, single coils as of yet untested.

The idea basically is, first there is an EQ that takes away the boomy bass and the unused portion of the high frequency range (which only holds hiss from your preamps) and then a responsive lowpass filter adjusts itself to the input gain. Works brilliantly when set right. Feel free to ask any questions on it and I will try to help you set it properly, it did take a while to get it set up perfectly and I'm *sure* it will be different for single coil or even just different guitars in general.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:10 AM   #19
ivansc

And of course there is always Scuffham. I dont use it as for the mot part it is aimed at distorted sounds, but it does do them superbly well.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:56 PM   #20
Klemperer

Just a funny addition. I own a lot of IK plugins (and one time they suddenly did not allow to sell me some, but that's another story, they changed their EULA backwards...).
After reading this nice thread I went to the custom shop, it installed a new version - and from that moment on my Amplitube 3 did not work right and my oldies (Amplitube 2, X-Gear) gave me "make sure your software is installed right" message... Without any notice. Luckily enough I always have nice image files of my stuff, so I went back to 2 days earlier - and all is here again^^. Conclusio - I leave the custom shop alone, uninstalled it right away, use Amplitube 3.02 before the custom shop - and really *never* had anything like this with any other company before. Installing an update leads to strange stuff, and you get no message before.
Kuassa, Guitar Rig, studiodevil, hmmm...many friendly ones out there
Klemperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:18 PM   #21
ginormous

The Fretted Synth website is down, but the plugins are hosted @ rekkerd.org.

link
ginormous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:10 PM   #22
roobiz

The Simuanalog guitar suite has a model of a JCM900. Not sure what the differences are between the 800 and 900 models but it may be worth checking out.
roobiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:04 PM   #23
RedStone

I've heard a lot of people say that the Behringer V-amp 2 sucks for recording. Not so.

I did a blues track recently and got superb tone out of the V-amp 2. I recorded it dry into my interface - just an amp and cab model on a preset (that is the KEY). The presets on the V-amp are highly usable and underrated IMHO. I like it for rock and blues on a Strat. Some of the presets give you tons of sustain at even low volumes.

I'm not sure how it performs with heavier styles like metal, screamo, punk, post-punk etc.

Anyway, Vox has some nice modellers as well on their peddle boards - maybe worth looking into. I would say instead of buying an expensive all-in-one solution, buy a cheaper solution that does exactly what you need it to. It's suprising how much variety and detail of sound you can get by just picking a decent base sound and playing around with the volume control on your guitar, and adjusting your attack.

Food for thought.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:22 AM   #24
mudf00t

I have a Boss GT-100, POD Farm Standard (using UX2), Amplitube 3 and Overloud TH2. You can get some great sounds with free plugins but I just think the paid plugins - minus POD Farm - have the best sounds. Overloud TH2 sounds the best, IMHO but Amplitube 3 has way more variety to offer and also sounds great.
mudf00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:56 PM   #25
shoole274

this isn't a relpy but a question about controlling guitar rig/ amplitude POD FARM. is it possible to use a midi foot controller. like a like 6 fbv short board mk II
or Behringer FCB1010?
shoole274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:55 PM   #26
Bezmotivnik

I'm confused (even after looking at the site) -- is Guitar Rig a VST like Amplitube?

Endless hatred for outboard modelers/MFX, which almost never have the processing power to actually do the stuff hey claim to. I recently got into a nasty public row with DigiTech about their AudioDNA2-based stuff, and this was the outcome: A confession that their shortcomings were not due to firmware screwups, but the inherent impossibility of accomplishing quality effects with the available engine processing in the first place.

If it's digital, do it in the box, not on the floor.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:30 AM   #27
Wigz

As long as I've recorded on a laptop I've pretty much used guitar rig...I like it.On the iPad i use jamup and bias exclusively but I do have amplitude for the iPad as well and when I bought the irig I got a free code for amplitude 3 but haven't got around to downloading it...Guitar rig is fine enough for what I do.
Wigz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:33 AM   #28
Wigz

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoole274 View Post
this isn't a relpy but a question about controlling guitar rig/ amplitude POD FARM. is it possible to use a midi foot controller. like a like 6 fbv short board mk II
or Behringer FCB1010?
Yes...I have a Yamaha mfc 10 and that thing is big and a pain to hook up...you've probably gotten one by now but for anyone thinking about it...they're pretty easy to program but I'm looking towards the irig blueboard.
Wigz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 01:54 AM   #29
Giano
Banned

Default Guitar Rig for guitar ?

I play guitar for many many years and I have tested lots of gear and plugins and there is one plugin I would never recommend for e-guitar and thatīs Guitar Rig, itīs nice for synth or whatever, but the worst plugin for guitar I ve ever heard (Guitar plugins and Piano plugins is not NIīs strength, IMHO). THere are lots of plugins, do not forget to use good cab sims. as well, one of the best has Recabinet - recabinet is my fav plugin for e-guitar and e-bass anyway (but it does not work with all processors without issues !), but maybe also check out Le Pou free plugins or S-Gear.
And I dig BOSS gear (pedals etc,) a lot.

https://soundcloud.com/giano-riff

Last edited by Giano; 01-20-2015 at 02:03 AM.
Giano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 03:27 AM   #30
technogremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginormous View Post
The Fretted Synth website is down, but the plugins are hosted @ rekkerd.org.

link
FreeAmp3 is still pretty awesome. And FrettedSynth is working on a update:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewto...p?f=6&t=429461
technogremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:35 AM   #31
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmmoniumNitrate View Post
How should I decide between Amplitube 3 and Guitar Rig 5; or should I be looking at other options too?
My experience has been that Amplitube 3 with Reaper is far less stable than Guitar Rig 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giano View Post
I play guitar for many many years and I have tested lots of gear and plugins and there is one plugin I would never recommend for e-guitar and thatīs Guitar Rig, itīs nice for synth or whatever, but the worst plugin for guitar I ve ever heard (Guitar plugins and Piano plugins is not NIīs strength, IMHO).
Humm, that's quite different from my experience with Guitar Rig, but then I'm sure style of playing probably has a lot to do with it. I think I've tried all the free stuff and found some of it to be quite usable especially if you can get the combinations set up right. It takes a lot of fiddling though.

When I got Guitar Rig 5 it became much easier and faster to get the sound I needed. Also I haven't had any stability problems with it.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:06 AM   #32
Giano
Banned

Tod! itīs time to tell all the people here in this forum that you are from NIīs staff ! haha

NI plugins do not cause any serious stability issues at all here, if I did not have Recabinet,
I would maybe try the cabs of guitar rig, maybe ?! But I must admit that recabinet is my fav plugin for bass and e-guitar
and I am not even from Recabinets staff haha
Of course everyone plays guitar in a different way and likes different styles and sound, there are lots of plugins
for guitar, but no plugin as good as Boss GT 100

Last edited by Giano; 01-20-2015 at 11:30 AM.
Giano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 01:22 PM   #33
solaris1982

I spent way too much money on Amplitube stuff. BIAS blows it away, IMO. Endlessly customizable. The only limited option is the cabs/mics, which I use recabinet 3 for anyways. A tweakhead's dream. They have a demo available on positivegrid.com
solaris1982 is offline   Reply With Quote