Old 01-11-2022, 11:23 AM   #1
Felipe Zanabria
Human being with feelings

Default sysex loader

Greetings! I am new here. I found the Dexed fm synthesizer, which can load banks from the Yamaha DX7. Although I don't have this synthesizer, I have found about 3000 syx banks online. I am visually impaired, so the plug-in is not accessible to load these banks. What I came up with was to add a syx file to the vsti track, or to add another one and send it to the vsti, give play, and then delete it; how it worked. The sounds of the loaded bank appear in the plug-in's preset list. Since there are many banks, it is very cumbersome to be removing and replacing banks to find a sound. My question is: Is it possible to create a jsfx that can read the syx files from a folder and display a combo box, like plug-ins that read impulse files from guitar amps do, and send the sysex messages? Also, is it possible to read sounds from a loaded .syx file and display in a second combo box? This would make listening to sounds much faster, since it would not be necessary to send a sysex loaded by the js and go to Dexed to select one of the 32 sounds from a bank. Thank you for reading.
Felipe Zanabria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 08:37 PM   #2
mpl

Hard way: make a script that parse sysex to vst parameters, so you can list next/previous/drop-down_menu file in a sys folder. Problem: 1) not sure parsing will be easy (although there is no too much data ) 2) not sure all the parameters available to set from API

Easier way: add sys as midi item to timeline, make a script that lists previous/next/drop-down_menu sys file to replace and loop some area around that item.

Long way: a feature request for devs to add option to load/trigger specific sysex on ReaControlMIDI via API

Quote:
read sounds from a loaded .syx
Sysex is just a MIDI message just like NoteOn, but more complex. Specifically it is an array of parameters, it doesn`t contain any sound inside (at least yamahadx7 one).

Last edited by mpl; 01-11-2022 at 10:14 PM.
mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 11:56 PM   #3
sockmonkey72

Particularly for DX7 sysex, which is pretty small and has a well-documented format, this wouldn't be too hard. I am not sure that the UI tools available to scripts would be adequate for your accessibility needs, though.
sockmonkey72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 09:58 AM   #4
Felipe Zanabria

I think it is not necessary to resort to the API to send a .syx to a vst, since inserting as an item in a track already does it.
By referring to sounds within a .syx I mean each group of parameters. For example in dx7 or Dexed 32 configurations are shown in a bank with a descriptive name.
Well, yesterday I loaded a midi file to test a sound and I have noticed that the change of presets in Dexed responds to changes of the midi program, from 0 to 31. So, I think the way is even easier, although I do not know how to program in jsfx. You would only need to retrieve .syx files from a folder, send to reaper, just like direct insert into a track does, and then send a midi program change between 0 and 31, to change the sound of the loaded .syx. By not reading every set of parameters in the .syx the name is not provided in the patch list, but the essential thing is to change the sound within a bank it works.

Last edited by Felipe Zanabria; 01-12-2022 at 10:04 AM.
Felipe Zanabria is offline   Reply With Quote