Old 07-02-2020, 08:27 PM   #81
daniellumertz
Human being with feelings

Maybe some snap to other area selection could be a good idea

Also is there already the option to have an mouse mod/action to extend the area selection but not for adjacent areas ?

Exemple : Like in the gif above when one want to select envelopes 1,3,4 but not two.

Ideia of how could work: in Mouse mod of area selection edge while holding x(lets say ctrl) not move area, when the mouse mod is gone back to default it start to move again but from where is mouse. Would enable to extend vertically the area selection without having to select all adjacent spaces.

just an idea maybe there is much better solutions like an right drag mouse mod in arrange view: "subtract from area selection " then after extending the AS vertically to all adjacent remove the pieces don't want with the "subtract from area selection "...

Last edited by daniellumertz; 07-02-2020 at 08:57 PM. Reason: add the last part
daniellumertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 08:35 PM   #82
alexgameaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellumertz View Post

Maybe some snap to other area selection could be a good idea

Also is there already the option to have an mouse mod/action to extend the area selection but not for adjacent areas ?

Exemple : Like in the gif above when one want to select envelopes 1,3,4 but not two.

Ideia of how could work: in Mouse mod of area selection edge while holding x(lets say ctrl) not move area, when the mouse mod is gone back to default it start to move again but from where is mouse. Would enable to extend vertically the area selection without having to select all adjacent spaces. just an idea maybe there is much better solutions
The way I imagine it working, is you could Ctrl+click the edge of an area selection, and it would instantly extend it's length to match the upper one.

In other words, it would extend to the limit of the leftmost/rightmost selected areas.
alexgameaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 08:50 PM   #83
daniellumertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgameaudio View Post
The way I imagine it working, is you could Ctrl+click the edge of an area selection, and it would instantly extend it's length to match the upper one.

In other words, it would extend to the limit of the leftmost/rightmost selected areas.
If I understood you correctly this is already possible, it is the default action

But no way, as far as I know, to not select some in the middle like 1,3,4 .

With this the "subtract area selection" could be a option instead of what I posted
Old 07-07-2020, 07:53 AM   #84
dna598

any idea when this is gonna make it into the final release?

I'm eager for this feature!
dna598 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 08:26 AM   #85
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
But no way, as far as I know, to not select some in the middle like 1,3,4
After doing the vertical edge edit in your gif, you can alt+click to remove individual envelopes from the selections.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 10:13 AM   #86
daniellumertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
After doing the vertical edge edit in your gif, you can alt+click to remove individual envelopes from the selections.
oh, thanks schwa!! I haven't notice it, my bad.

And congrats in the area selection !!! 🎉🎉🎉
Old 07-08-2020, 02:14 AM   #87
Teddy

I'm sorry if this is repetative. Haven't followed the pre-threads for a while.

Can I assign area selection as a default left click/drag action yet? Or do I have to use a modifier key or right click/drag.
Teddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 03:21 PM   #88
sonictim

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiiscompos View Post
Is it not easier to simply use grouped items for that? That's very much what clip groups are in protools.
I like the visual look of the blocks. Makes it much easier to see that items are grouped together when fully zoomed out looking at my session.
sonictim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 03:21 PM   #89
acendan

Default Pooled Area Items

+1 to sonictim's mention of pooled area items that respond like pooled/duplicate automation items
acendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 06:55 PM   #90
daniellumertz

Does AS have to always trim behind Items?

Couldn't it put also in layers (if options is set to)? Or in free item position cases....

EDIT:

Just a Thought: should AS be vertically free in free item position and layers mode have vertical layers inside a track?

I really don't know I personally would use it, or if it is good, just put the idea out :P

Last edited by daniellumertz; 07-11-2020 at 02:24 AM.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:23 AM   #91
bolgwrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrope View Post
I just want to drag my mouse over an item to select a part of it, then hit backspace to delete that part. Like in Pro Tools since version 3 Or Cubase.
Then autmatically apply a configurable fade out/in on the remaining bordering items.
This would save me hours of editing time in complex voice production,
"Prefs/Media Item Defaults/Create fade-in for new items" works if you AS an item (or multiple AS's) and press Ctrl+X to 'delete'.

What would float my boat would an action to 'convert AS to TS' and vice-versa - obv the TS would be full project height, but it would still save a few clicks sometimes.
Old 07-15-2020, 04:00 PM   #92
Stevie

would be nice if Area Selection may be picked as Mose Modifier for Track/left drag
Stevie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 02:51 PM   #93
cairnan

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetnine View Post
It’s like Marquee select, except that it only selects the area of items that it encloses, not the whole of any items it touches. Then, when you drag it, it auto splits, and allows drag+drop moving or copying, stretching, etc.

It allows the same manipulation with Envelope items as Media items. The exact functionality bounds and capabilities of this is presently being moulded and tested.

It won’t necessarily give any actual functionality increase (although that is being pushed, here), rather a more direct path between user editing task and its achievement -ie less thinking and more doing. The complaint for existing workflows is that you have to pretty much manually select and cut parts individually rather than the AS ethos which is to “just grab it and move/copy it”. It should result in a more visual, direct, logical and “conventional” editing workflow.

I’m sure I’ve missed some essential aspect in this, which will be corrected in due course

Edit: ^^ before I got there

>
Great explanation, thanks!
cairnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 02:54 PM   #94
cairnan

And thank you to the devs for area selection! It's looking very promising.
cairnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 12:48 PM   #95
mccrabney

area selections need editing guide lines - i'm having a hard time seeing where i'm dropping selections without them. i've really come to rely on them when moving items
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 01:12 PM   #96
Funkybot

Someone else already mentioned it at one point, but I'd really like to see Area Selection as the precursor to swipe-style comping. Just being able to area select a portion of a take to promote it would really speed up the comping workflow. No worrying about splits, just swipe to promote...T to audition the next take within the same selection bounds...and done.
Funkybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 05:39 PM   #97
ferropop

Now that we have Area Selection: this is ESSENTIAL. Any thoughts?

FR: Blinking Cursor at last-clicked location!!!

vs Current Look

Like, I've been using Reaper for almost 12 years and find it almost impossible to know where I am working in a project if I take my eyes away from the screen for even a second. Look how subtle but effective a blinking cursor is! (ie, what every other DAW has, perhaps for good reason?)
ferropop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 06:31 PM   #98
mccrabney

^ wow, yes
Old 07-21-2020, 07:07 PM   #99
ferropop

I just find it near-impossible to ever know where the 'cursor' is. Maybe it's because I'm at 4K -- but like, you have to crosshair the playhead with the highlighted track all the way to the left of the screen.

Literally have to take your finger up to the screen and trace it horizontally to the playhead to figure out where pastes are happening.

Why? It's not like Reaper is a 'cursorless' DAW -- pastes will happen at the last-touched location...how is that not essential to portray on screen?
Old 07-21-2020, 08:06 PM   #100
daniellumertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
I just find it near-impossible to ever know where the 'cursor' is. Maybe it's because I'm at 4K -- but like, you have to crosshair the playhead with the highlighted track all the way to the left of the screen.

Literally have to take your finger up to the screen and trace it horizontally to the playhead to figure out where pastes are happening.

Why? It's not like Reaper is a 'cursorless' DAW -- pastes will happen at the last-touched location...how is that not essential to portray on screen?
I find very difficult to lost track of a cursor, so Idk if this thing blinking thing at the last location clicked wouldn't be info not used to me. It would confused me.

Paste do not occur at the last touched location they occur at edit cursor, some could have preferences for example clicking in a item does not change edit cursor, so the last click can be in a different spot of the edit cursor.

I would be a little confused if I was new to reaper, I would think I would paste in this blinking thing instead in the edit cursor, and is not what will happen.

EDIT: also there is more ways to move the edit cursor then clicking, then is more confusing about where things will be pasted, cuted etc etc in the edit cursor or in this blinking thing

I think the software should be sight friendly but this is an issue I have never seen, maybe option to rezise the cursor if that is the problem....
Old 07-21-2020, 08:37 PM   #101
ferropop

Quote:
I find very difficult to lost track of a cursor, so Idk if this thing blinking thing at the last location clicked wouldn't be info not used to me. It would confused me.

Paste do not occur at the last touched location they occur at edit cursor, some could have preferences for example clicking in a item does not change edit cursor, so the last click can be in a different spot of the edit cursor.

I would be a little confused if I was new to reaper, I would think I would paste in this blinking thing instead in the edit cursor, and is not what will happen.

EDIT: also there is more ways to move the edit cursor then clicking, then is more confusing about where things will be pasted, cuted etc etc in the edit cursor or in this blinking thing

I think the software should be sight friendly but this is an issue I have never seen, maybe option to rezise the cursor if that is the problem....
Hi, all I'm saying is that right now there are zero indicators of where the paste is going to occur, unless you literally figure out where the edit cursor and selected-track intersect.

On a 3840x2160 screen, this is literally impossible without using your hands, physically.
Old 07-21-2020, 08:41 PM   #102
ferropop

I've suggested tinting the selected track(s) as a solution also:

Anything at all to guide the eye. Right now we have nothing.

Last edited by ferropop; 07-21-2020 at 09:25 PM.
Old 07-21-2020, 09:18 PM   #103
deeb

Even in a 1280x800 screen I struggle which one is the selected track .. and most of the time this is where I am focusing .. so yeah something please
Old 07-22-2020, 04:30 AM   #104
mccrabney

when you make an AS on a track whose height is very small, it becomes difficult to grab and move the AS itself. instead, the mouse changes to the "shrink/grow" AS cursor.

in the gif below, i show how 2/3rds of the AS area is dedicated to these "shrink/grow" handles, rather than the more common "move AS" handle. this is too much area dedicated to a feature that surely will be used less often than "move AS."

this wouldn't be an issue if i increased the track height, in fact the ~10 pixel hit area for the "move AS" handles are appropriate at larger heights. however, at small heights, the hit area should be reduced to half of its current size, to make moving small AS easier.

tldr below: a ~5 pixel hit area for "move AS" buried between ~10 pixel "resize AS" hit areas

Last edited by mccrabney; 07-22-2020 at 05:37 AM.
Old 07-22-2020, 05:39 AM   #105
Vagelis

Agreed^^ good catch.
Vagelis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 05:56 AM   #106
ferropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
when you make an AS on a track whose height is very small, it becomes difficult to grab and move the AS itself. instead, the mouse changes to the "shrink/grow" AS cursor.

in the gif below, i show how 2/3rds of the AS area is dedicated to these "shrink/grow" handles, rather than the more common "move AS" handle. this is too much area dedicated to a feature that surely will be used less often than "move AS."

this wouldn't be an issue if i increased the track height, in fact the ~10 pixel hit area for the "move AS" handles are appropriate at larger heights. however, at small heights, the hit area should be reduced to half of its current size, to make moving small AS easier.

tldr below: a ~5 pixel hit area for "move AS" buried between ~10 pixel "resize AS" hit areas

Yup, I struggle with this every single time I try to drag the AS box, which is thousands of times per session. Hitbox priority should absolutely be given to drag not resize.
Old 07-22-2020, 06:49 AM   #107
mccrabney

after working with this more, i might make the tentative suggestion that a mouse modifier would be more appropriate for adjusting AS shape/size, instead of a hit area.

REAPER's objects tend to have a lot of mouse-aiming complexity (eg clicking on different places in audio items could affect item position, size, volume, fade, etc). this is mostly manageable, even as a person who uses AI in the media lane exclusively - but it still made larger structural editing difficult. /exposition

REAPER's area selection essentially fixes this problem, or at least reset it to 0. but now, with hit points for AS shape/size, we're beginning to layer in the mouse-aiming complexity again.

imo, careful mouse aiming is one of the most grueling aspects of computing - regardless of program. since AS serves as a solution to REAPER's necessary item-editing complexity, it shouldn't cave to the same obvious and understandable temptations.
Old 07-22-2020, 07:58 AM   #108
ferropop

Quote:
after working with this more, i might make the tentative suggestion that a mouse modifier would be more appropriate for adjusting AS shape/size, instead of a hit area.

REAPER's objects tend to have a lot of mouse-aiming complexity (eg clicking on different places in audio items could affect item position, size, volume, fade, etc). this is mostly manageable, even as a person who uses AI in the media lane exclusively - but it still made larger structural editing difficult. /exposition

REAPER's area selection essentially fixes this problem, or at least reset it to 0. but now, with hit points for AS shape/size, we're beginning to layer in the mouse-aiming complexity again.

imo, careful mouse aiming is one of the most grueling aspects of computing - regardless of program. since AS serves as a solution to REAPER's necessary item-editing complexity, it shouldn't cave to the same obvious and understandable temptations.
I think I agree with this!

Please correct me if otherwise - but seems like the most common action will be to
1. Draw Area Selection from scratch, followed by
2. Move/Drag-Copy Area selection, and [i]then[i/] followed by
3. Resize Area selection.

These should be prioritized such that #1 is easiest to do and hardest to do wrong, etc.

Right now #3 is actually the easiest to do because it reacts in 4 locations on an area!
Old 07-22-2020, 08:24 AM   #109
Klangfarben

Quote:
+1 Agree with this. While the hit point issue should def be addressed by the devs, having a mouse modifier would be very useful. Because I work in a large template, all my tracks heights are set to minimum, so relying solely on hit points is not a great solution going forward - especially if new features are added going forward like compress/expand handles, etc.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 08:55 AM   #110
Vagelis

Quote:

Can't agree, imho if the devs fix better edge mouse detection, there's no need for another mouse modifier to extend the edge just because the track is at minimum height.
If/when more functions will be added later in AS, there will be so many mouse modifiers for more advanced stuff and not just drag to extend, so i prefer to leave some space for other functions.
To me the less modifiers there are especially for basic things, the better it is.

Maybe a modifier to leftclick in order to extend AS like Cubase would be nice and it wouldn't take space from left-drag modifiers.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:24 AM   #111
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
Maybe a modifier to leftclick in order to extend AS like Cubase would be nice and it wouldn't take space from left-drag modifiers.
Why we don't have mouse modifiers for left click/left drag for this is just beyond me.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 09:34 AM   #112
pepe44

Great solutions for area selection, one thing that i would like to add is why green ? maybe something more sober!?
pepe44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:10 AM   #113
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe44 View Post
Great solutions for area selection, one thing that i would like to add is why green ? maybe something more sober!?
Who said it's green? You can change the color in theme settings.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 11:04 AM   #114
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
Why we don't have mouse modifiers for left click/left drag for this is just beyond me.
Dunno why Maybe it's one of those situations that i stumble across and think that mouse modifiers are great, but we also need to have an option to pick the tool we want as it's possible in other daws. And what i'm meaning by that is to be able and change many modifiers in different contexts fast.
Because mouse modifiers are already being crowded and they will become even more in the future i guess. For example this modifier we want for left click to extend area selection, we have to add this to every other context we want in order to extend the selection right? But then what if we want to have another action for the same modifier to behave differently for another task we want to use it ? This would save a lot of space also in the keyboard because then we could use for example the same ctrl,alt,shift modifiers for different contexts but for other actions!
Now we can't change modifiers fast other than the default modifiers and this is crucial for the workflow, to be able and change also left drag modifiers (+ alt,ctrl,shift) for the task we want.
A tool picker is like changing many modifiers for different contexts, like entering a mode where everything apply for a specific action, an example is area selection, but could be other things also like painting items, using the newest start/end modifier from the edge instead of stretching etc... Hell now i can't even use both stretch and start/end modifiers from the edge, just because item edge has so many functions and i don't want to hit 3 keys with the mouse to apply an action.
With tools we could have one for stretching and one for adjusting start/end that would change the modifiers for the contexts with a single click, as an example.
I mean it should be easier and with less key combinations to edit something...
To sum things up and what i have in mind that could benefit to have this, is to be able and save/export to actions the mouse modifier presets, for all contexts or specific contexts. Right now we can save them as presets but imagine if we could export from there to actions. Then we could add the action to a toolbar as a tool, hit that action from the toolbar and change fast the modifiers for the contexts we want, like entering in a specific tool mode.

EDIT: This could be also a good solution for having area selection to left drag for example. We could change or combine functions, for example select an item with AS or TS,or paint it just by changing the tool. And all that with the same modifiers, just with different functions.

I had a request also regarding this, since i was thinking for some time now that this could improve a lot how to edit things in reaper and sum lots of functions into single actions

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=237324

I hope that makes sense

Last edited by Vagelis; 07-22-2020 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-22-2020, 11:58 AM   #115
mccrabney

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe44 View Post
because it's awesome
Old 07-23-2020, 07:25 AM   #116
bolgwrad

Default Major improvement down to AS

I don't think it's been mentioned specifically, but MAJOR improvement to my workflow down to AS is that I can now have a TS loop running, and AS a section in the same track to copy into that loop. Don't need to stop the track, don't lose my TS, it's great.
Old 07-23-2020, 10:29 AM   #117
AlexLazer

Please add autocrossfades when split for Area selection as well as for Time selection:

AlexLazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 03:51 PM   #118
daniellumertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
Hi, all I'm saying is that right now there are zero indicators of where the paste is going to occur, unless you literally figure out where the edit cursor and selected-track intersect.

On a 3840x2160 screen, this is literally impossible without using your hands, physically.
Ok , now they implemented I got what you were saying, I think it is nice, the problem I think was just that in one post you said it should be in the last clicked location instead of the intersection between editcursor and first track
Old 08-09-2020, 11:37 PM   #119
daniellumertz

hey devs, some planning in area selection obey current trimming and autocrossfade ?

Like is possible with TS

Old 08-11-2020, 06:48 AM   #120
bolgwrad

Maybe the command should just be, 'Create selection'. Then you can add to it, include/exclude tracks/items/groups/fades/automations/envelopes as desired, and then say, "Ok, this is an all-track loop", or "Ok, this is a track-specific (savable?) block".

Is it currently possible, I wonder, to copy/cut everything (envelopes, fades, FX) EXCEPT the base item to another item? (Edit) Obv, you can do that and delete the duplicate, but a specific command set would be awesome.