Old 11-10-2019, 09:20 PM   #201
fred garvin
Human being with feelings

Ok, I'm in. But I'm giving myself til the 17th as I have a few vacation days coming along around then if needed.

My goal is complete a cover performance along the lines of karbo's cover series. Just guitar and vox, single take, no tracking, no cuts, no autotune. Piece of cake for many here I'm sure, but it's a new skill set for me.

Great idea, fox, thanks for doing it!
Old 11-19-2019, 09:54 AM   #202
morgon

I got a few tracks due today but I need until Monday now.

Guitar truss rod nut is slightly burred and the spanner I got isn't as advertised for a LP Gibson. So to the shop with it on Saturday then a couple of short recording sessions to fix a few bung notes, add an outro etc. and I can post the tracks as they're all but done.

I'll post another track or two that I've managed to finish without needing the guitar recently, in the next day or so.

Last edited by morgon; 11-19-2019 at 11:37 AM.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:35 PM   #203
foxAsteria

I thought my deadline was yesterday & almost gave up again... but then I saw I still had some time so I did another mix and now I guess I'll see if I can get a little mix feedback before I give it a final spit shine in the next couple days. Sound finished? My ears are fried but I think I found a new technique for preserving volume range and dynamics.

https://soundcloud.com/wyyyrd/overchoice-15
Old 11-20-2019, 11:21 PM   #204
morgon

That could be a track Pink Floyd might have done, the mix sounds pretty good to me, well done.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:49 PM   #205
foxAsteria

Wow Pink Floyd? I mean, I always have some psychedelia going on, but sure didn't expect that comparison. Thanks dude.

Btw I changed up the thread. I'll just let folks set a deadline of any kind (doesn't have to be one month) and the goal is simply to make the deadline. You missed yours, so I'll have to fail you but you go ahead and pick a new date for the tracks you're working o...excuses be damned.

Thing is, we don't have to take our failures too seriously here as long as we try to take the deadline seriously. This way at least we're always moving towards our goals. I know I'm making a lot of progress on my stuff even though I've failed a couple times already. One of these days I might even finish a whole album...or one of the many projects I've failed to finish in the last decade.

After all failure is the path to mastery...or somesuch platitudinousness...
Old 11-21-2019, 01:14 AM   #206
morgon

I agree, afaic the time limit does accelerate the effort as the deadline approaches.

It's possible also to grade the shame ratings I guess, e.g failure after one month to produce the goods = Shame level 1, after two months Shame level 2.

I propose that a special section of the OP post be reserved for shaming in large bold red font those who didn't get done in three months what they said they were gonna do in one month..
Old 11-21-2019, 01:15 AM   #207
fred garvin

Ooops, did I screw it up with my extra week? I wasn't trying to not follow the rules so much as I was just determined to participate not procrastinate. I'd been meaning to join, then I thought well I'll just follow along without actually posting, and then instead I didn't lol, so then I said f that I'm in, and then I punked out for that safety week as I thought I might need it. Blah blah blah bs, sorry if I f'd up your s. It's widely recognized that artificial constraints are useful. I'm into my month now anyway lol.

I'm loving your work fox, you have a unique and very interesting voice.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:26 AM   #208
foxAsteria

Thanks fred! I changed the rules so it's not restricted to a month. Just try to make your own deadline is the name of the game. I'm just here to document it so you can't push it back after the fact.

morgon - are you just here for the shame? Do I need to step up my shame game? Lol, I don't know how to effectively punish procrastination over the interwebs.
Old 11-21-2019, 06:54 AM   #209
karbomusic

Nice job fox, keep up the good work!
Old 11-21-2019, 11:08 AM   #210
zeekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
I thought my deadline was yesterday & almost gave up again... but then I saw I still had some time so I did another mix and now I guess I'll see if I can get a little mix feedback before I give it a final spit shine in the next couple days. Sound finished? My ears are fried but I think I found a new technique for preserving volume range and dynamics.

https://soundcloud.com/wyyyrd/overchoice-15
Brilliant, great crunch and organic ambience. Hand made drums again?
Old 11-21-2019, 11:21 AM   #211
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
Brilliant, great crunch and organic ambience. Hand made drums again?
Thanks dude! Yep, my usual blend of live drums (2 at once actually) and some Maschine as well, cos I usually write the basic beat there first and then learn it on the kit.

I finally realized what early reflections are for, so I was able to sit that ambience comfortably at the back.
Old 11-27-2019, 01:32 PM   #212
zeekat

Sounds 75% drums and 25% construction site. Always a good day when you can't figure out how some of the sounds where made.

Mark me for the end of january deadline plz. I have a couple of gnarly sounding keyboard chords and motivation to expand them that's inversely proportional to distance to my DAW. I basically planned most of the process in my head during commutes, with zero practical implementation once home, funny how it works.

(will do some extra thinking on the tram to invent the title, I'm drawing a blank now)
Old 11-27-2019, 01:43 PM   #213
karbomusic

Wait a minute, can I include the song I wrote, recorded and posted last week? I did it in two days (rare for me) - probably two weeks though from the time I had the idea but the actual recording/video was about 48 hours time. Sort of kidding but sort of not.
Old 11-27-2019, 04:41 PM   #214
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Wait a minute, can I include the song I wrote, recorded and posted last week?
Ehhh, well deadline should be sometime in the future...
Old 11-27-2019, 07:47 PM   #215
D Rocks

Nice thread lol I have like 8 unfinished songs.

I apply to the challenge.

I must release the mini album before christmas day.
Old 11-28-2019, 01:49 AM   #216
zeekat

Quote:
Ehhh, well deadline should be sometime in the future...
Looks like we discovered what a "lifeline" is.

Motivating force of the thread is already working - found an another keyboard patch that makes my nonexistent keyboard playing skills sound passable this morning.
Old 11-28-2019, 09:37 AM   #217
foxAsteria

Quote:
found an another keyboard patch that makes my nonexistent keyboard playing skills sound passable this morning.
I honestly prefer keyboardists who can't play...keyboard solos...ugh. My approach is to use rhythm to get the notes on the right beats and then use a mouse to get them on the right notes and then a heavily disproportionate amount of time to tweak the sound.

But Idk, I guess I shouldn't stop anyone posting finished stuff here...better for a fake procrastinator to really finish something than a real procrastinator to fake-finish something right? I just think it will be discouraging to be compared to folks who are actually on top of their shit...
Old 11-28-2019, 10:23 AM   #218
karbomusic

Quote:
But Idk, I guess I shouldn't stop anyone posting finished stuff here...better for a fake procrastinator to really finish something than a real procrastinator to fake-finish something right? I just think it will be discouraging to be compared to folks who are actually on top of their shit...
I hope no one thinks I'm on top of my shit or not a procrastinator. I think I've finished one song in the last 5 years but I've started around 40. Usually due to self-loathing, I don't advertise that often because I've found the only thing worse is to present something with that excuse front-loaded on it. Better to just do it and pretend I'm normal.

I probably wasn't truly looking to post it (it's already had it's moment in the shade), I had just forgotten about this thread, and was excited because I actually finished something, and it didn't make me want to puke (as much as usual).
Old 11-28-2019, 10:50 AM   #219
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I hope no one thinks I'm on top of my shit or not a procrastinator. I think I've finished one song in the last 5 years but I've started around 40. Usually due to self-loathing, I don't advertise that often because I've found the only thing worse is to present something with that excuse front-loaded on it.
Ok well then allow me to humbly welcome you to the club. Feel free to set an attainable goal for yourself, the attainment of which is guaranteed to fill you with warm fuzzy feelings...or feelings of crippling confusion, doubt and despair...perhaps even a potent mixture of those.
Old 11-28-2019, 03:23 PM   #220
Tod

Quote:
Ok well then allow me to humbly welcome you to the club. Feel free to set an attainable goal for yourself, the attainment of which is guaranteed to fill you with warm fuzzy feelings...or feelings of crippling confusion, doubt and despair...perhaps even a potent mixture of those.
Okay, I think Iv'e got one, but it isn't anything I wrote. It's an old song that my daughter is singing on, we started this back at least a year ago and still needs lots of work. Will that suffice??
Old 11-30-2019, 02:11 PM   #221
zeekat

Quote:
I honestly prefer keyboardists who can't play...keyboard solos...ugh. My approach is to use rhythm to get the notes on the right beats and then use a mouse to get them on the right notes and then a heavily disproportionate amount of time to tweak the sound.
My perfect keyboard guy is Richard Barbieri who is a self-confessed non player but has all the coolest sounds. I'd do the same if I ever figured out how to program all those interesting noises.

Status for today: no progress, I think I had a cool title yesterday but forgot to note it and now it's gone.
Old 11-30-2019, 04:12 PM   #222
morgon

Quote:
morgon - are you just here for the shame? Do I need to step up my shame game? Lol, I don't know how to effectively punish procrastination over the interwebs.
Well, "no shame, no gain" or something.. but

Of course, it's not on you personally or anyone else to deliver any repercussions [see what I did there ]
but I figure an announcement of a deadline failure should be followed by further encouragement,
perhaps in the form of a collective round of booing.
Old 12-05-2019, 12:36 PM   #223
ivansc

You arent going to hear it till its available properly recorded on the album, but I outdid my self Monday. Wrote the lyrics to a new song, told my drummer about it & he demanded to hear it asap. I got drums bass guitar keyboard & a really crap vocal performance down & mixed & rendered in six hours.

And I havent even started fiddling with it yet!

Song`s called The Mortal Coil shuffle.

P.S. I know I shouldn`t be posting stuff on here that I wont let you hear yet, but I AM finding this thread adds a little extra incentive. Thanks!
Old 12-05-2019, 01:36 PM   #224
BenK-msx

Default Aka the thread noone read

That's a joke btw..
Old 12-05-2019, 03:26 PM   #225
morgon

Perhaps helpful for those of us struggling to reach a deadline..

Old 12-05-2019, 10:48 PM   #226
g4greg

I really, really love the idea, Mr Asteria!

I'm usually decently efficient when I'm paid to sing, but I can't for the life of me get things going for my own projects. It's like those songs are too important for me to botch, and I never finish them.

Ok, I'm in.

I want to finish our 3 song EP by March 1st, 2020. The other half of my duo is leaving next week for a month, so the deadline is tighter than you think.

We're starting an important string of concerts starting March 7th, so we NEED new shit to sell.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:03 AM   #227
ivansc

Update: The Mortal Coil shuffle debuted on Friday & is doing it again tonight as headline act of a local beer festival!

Also another song I sort of wrote, stealing the melody from an old George Jones song. Mine is Boris B. Bad... His is Billy B. Bad

Went down great with a largely non-Tory audience. Hoping tonight there wont be too many conservatives in the audience!
Old 12-08-2019, 10:40 AM   #228
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Will that suffice??
Deadline?
Old 12-08-2019, 01:14 PM   #229
morgon

Well it is Procrastinators Anonymous, not everyone's gonna go cold turkey right off the bat, I know I haven't
Old 12-08-2019, 01:37 PM   #230
foxAsteria

Quote:
My perfect keyboard guy is Richard Barbieri who is a self-confessed non player but has all the coolest sounds.
Thanks for introducing me to this; wonderful stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgon View Post
not everyone's gonna go cold turkey right off the bat
Mmmmm...cooooold tuuuuurrkey....
Old 12-10-2019, 01:14 AM   #231
zeekat

Good I give myself a generous deadline, I'm 3:30 deep in the sketch version and feel like I'm just in the middle. Went from the lenghty intro to "prog" segue into baritone riffage. Tactical plan is digging outta the heavy bit back and phoning the rest in with some lame ambient outro.

I'm in awe how people can routinely do 8-12 minute tracks without much repetition. I start running on fumes right after finishing the intro.
Old 12-13-2019, 01:40 AM   #232
zeekat

I finished the sketch version. Now the scary prospect of learning to play this patchy piece of shit in long takes, coz the world needs more youtube movies. I have a late shift entire next week, I wonder if I'd manage to do the learning and re-tracking during the mornings. It'd be like a sub-deadline.

(120BPM = creativity)
Old 12-16-2019, 09:17 PM   #233
morgon

Not finished but more finished than unfinished..

And ffs the song is not political as such, was begun several years ago and is one of dozens I'm trying to resurrect after pc crashes back when.

https://app.box.com/s/z9f3pv5p975usv85wgsnpqmxfq49b4gy
Old 12-17-2019, 06:59 AM   #234
MatthewMoran

I just went back to read that I was on the failed/shame list. It's true... It isn't that I haven't finished "a song" - but I definitely did not finish, "the song."

However, this is not a reboot or a restart. And not a do-over. I will own my shame and failure.

Like the broken prodigals son, I simply hope to work in the kitchen and partake in the leftovers when possible.

I am working on a few songs for my band right now. I was just in the studio with my drummer to get stems on 4 songs and have brought them into Reaper. I'm trying to get my guitar player's time to record his parts.

I'm fortunate - my guitar player is the son of Al Schmitt at Capital Records. I'm hoping, through that connection, to one day be a fly on the wall during one of his father's sessions.

All this to say that my failure was NOT procrastination as much as distraction/lack of focus. It's still just an excuse... but I didn't want anyone to think I was sitting on my hands.

And so, may I beg forgiveness and re-enter the fray?
=======================
About the song I'm working on.

This Star-Spangled Life of Mine

It is one of the above 4 songs.

I've been in contact with The Wounded Warrior Project to play some events in Southern California. This song is sort of the anchor for those events.

Last week I brought in all the drum stems, added an acoustic guitar, scratch vocals, bass, and a few clean and crunchy electric guitars. I'm not super pleased with any of it - well, actually, I like the bass and there is a clean electric guitar idea that I'll re-record.

I added some keys on the chorus this morning... I refuse to share those with you... yet. Need to smooth them out.

In any case, here's the project as of this morning.
https://matthewmoranonline.com/2019-ssl.mp3
Old 12-17-2019, 09:38 PM   #235
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewMoran View Post
I
And so, may I beg forgiveness and re-enter the fray?
[/url]
That's what this is all about. I fail all the time and I just did so again, but I never give up entirely.

The only unforgivable failure is to set a date and then quit before even starting.

I'll update the list tomorrow. Gonn pass out naow...
Old 12-18-2019, 01:55 AM   #236
fred garvin

FAIL!

I call fail, on myself. Was a near thing, but can't quite get a clean take. Don't feel much shame though, think I just bit off a lot more than I could chew. Gave it a real shot though. I could piece something together I think, but that wasn't the challenge I set myself. The cover I was trying was Hendrix's Angel, which is not an easy song. Plus first time trying a live guitar and vox performance. Great experience though. Made a lot of improvements, from guitar tone to Reaper skills to learning how I like to have a mic set up lol, that actually took a while.

So thanks again fox, great idea, good fun.
Old 12-18-2019, 06:53 AM   #237
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred garvin View Post
FAIL!
Plus first time trying a live guitar and vox performance. Great experience though. Made a lot of improvements, from guitar tone to Reaper skills to learning how I like to have a mic set up lol, that actually took a while.
That's a win right there so good on you!
Old 12-18-2019, 01:09 PM   #238
fred garvin

My participation trophy

Well I know you know the situation karbo. I had a real nice guitar take where I didn't address the mic properly so the vox goes in and out, had a couple which were good on both tracks right up til the octave solo outro which I of course botched... good fun, good fun. Tempting to just bodge em up but of course not the point, would only be cheating myself lol. Another month or so I can see myself putting out decent takes with some reliability. At which point I can start concerning myself with whether they suck lol.
Old 12-18-2019, 01:11 PM   #239
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred garvin View Post

My participation trophy

Well I know you know the situation karbo. I had a real nice guitar take where I didn't address the mic properly so the vox goes in and out, had a couple which were good on both tracks right up til the octave solo outro which I of course botched... good fun, good fun. Tempting to just bodge em up but of course not the point, would only be cheating myself lol. Another month or so I can see myself putting out decent takes with some reliability. At which point I can start concerning myself with whether they suck lol.
Yes sir... Being at the last 10 seconds of a perfect take then I have to cough or something, builds character. You are right too, right after you think it's never going to get better, it gets better.
Old 12-18-2019, 07:44 PM   #240
foxAsteria

I live right by some railroad tracks, so there is a train horn somewhere in all my recordings. It's just my thing now I guess, haha.

Yea I'm a perfectionist about some things, but actually love some messiness in recordings. Unexpected stuff that adds some character. I don't get people who try to edit out every breath and unnatural pitch control etc. I've had songs where a coughing fit at the end made the perfect outtro...

You not gonna let us hear your attempt, Fred?