Old 07-15-2019, 04:08 AM   #1
Burnsjethro
Human being with feelings

Default Lost plugins

Help please.

This is second time this has happened to me.
I installed a new plugine (a demo this time) and did the "rescan" business, (first detect, which identified the recently installed plugin and then rescan) then went to try it out with a piano plugin but found that most of the instruments (I had 10 or so) had disappeared from the instrument section, including all my piano-type plugins (the last time I did this, lots of different plugins disappeared as well).

As on the previous ocassion, I imported an earlier configuration and everything returned to normal and the new plug was also there.
Why does this keep happening, more importantly, is there any way of avoiding the problem?
Burnsjethro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:15 AM   #2
Burnsjethro

Here is the message that has just been posted:
Just a couple of quick guesses....

1) Do you have anything typed in the filter box? If so, that will hide instruments, of course.
2) Are the dll files for the VST located/installed in a directory that is being scanned? You can have presets and stuff somewhere else, but the DLLs (or .vst3 if it's vst3) should be located in one of the folders you set up in the options... this option is in the same spot where the re-scan button is.
cstooch
Old 07-15-2019, 07:21 AM   #3
Burnsjethro

Thanks for your answer cstoosh (I had to submit your post because your answer appeared in my mailbox with this link but I cannot see your message in this section)

1) Do you have anything typed in the filter box? If so, that will hide instruments, of course.

I don't think so. I went to preferences VST plugins and I pressed the edit button which automatically detected the plugin in question, then I did rescan, opened a new project in Reaper and saw the new plugin was in the new section. So I thought I would try it out on one of my instruments but most of them were missing.

2) Are the dll files for the VST located/installed in a directory that is being scanned? You can have presets and stuff somewhere else, but the DLLs (or .vst3 if it's vst3) should be located in one of the folders you set up in the options... this option is in the same spot where the re-scan button is.

First of all I had a problem finding the folder because the project did not say where it was located but it was in its own folder in "common directories" or something like that, but as I say Reaper detected it immediately without any further action by me.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:28 AM   #4
nait

Oh sorry.... I deleted it because I saw after I'd posted that you'd been around here a while, so I figured these two solutions I guessed were likely a little too obvious to be the cause of your issue.

Anyways, I have never had this happen yet, so I'll let someone else suggest more. I hope you figure it out.

One thing I'd wonder though, is there any commonality between the ones that are missing (unlike ones that are showing up)... such as install folder, or perhaps 32 bit vs 64?
nait is offline   Reply With Quote