Old 09-25-2019, 01:39 PM   #1
Reflected
Human being with feelings
 
Reflected's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,160
Default Setting supercollapsed TCP heights to 0 (danger!)

suggestion and request:

I was looking for a quick native way to hide child tracks in folders when collapsing.

after searching the forum I couldn't find a nice option...

here is a post from "musicbynumbers" that can explain why I suggest it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
Still think this option should be native and we should be able to completely hide child tracks with a press on the folder triangle (no middle state). As an option of course.

Then it would avoid such ugliness as this! It looks like a graphical crash! lol

Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 02:51 PM   #2
Reflected
Human being with feelings
 
Reflected's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,160
Default

another suggestion:

possibility to have only 2 states: expanded / supper-collapsed
Instead of the 3 states that we currently have: expanded, collapsed, supercollapsed

please let me know if is it already possible by clicking the triangle, I couldn't find it in the forum.
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 02:18 AM   #3
bFooz
Human being with feelings
 
bFooz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Slovakia
Posts: 1,052
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflected View Post
possibility to have only 2 states: expanded / supper-collapsed
Not possible by a theme afaik, possible by scripting:
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...15&postcount=8
__________________
Donations | Mixing & Mastering Services
bFooz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 08:35 AM   #4
Herr Nox
Human being with feelings
 
Herr Nox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Canada
Posts: 93
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflected View Post
suggestion and request:

I was looking for a quick native way to hide child tracks in folders when collapsing.

after searching the forum I couldn't find a nice option...

here is a post from "musicbynumbers" that can explain why I suggest it.
It is possible, Blankfiles did it with his I Logic themes, but I just don't know how he does it. It would be nice indeed to have that option be available in the Preferences menu ("Hide child tracks instead of super-collapsing folders").
__________________
BANDCAMP | YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK
Herr Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 08:39 AM   #5
bFooz
Human being with feelings
 
bFooz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Slovakia
Posts: 1,052
Default

It must have been some workaround. I know some people are making supercollapsed children invisible by setting the TCP height to 0.

Reaper count with 3 states. Even if you made collapsed and supercollapsed children the same height in the theme, you would need to cycle through all 3 states anyway.
__________________
Donations | Mixing & Mastering Services
bFooz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 10:26 AM   #6
Herr Nox
Human being with feelings
 
Herr Nox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Canada
Posts: 93
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bFooz View Post
It must have been some workaround. I know some people are making supercollapsed children invisible by setting the TCP height to 0.

Reaper count with 3 states. Even if you made collapsed and supercollapsed children the same height in the theme, you would need to cycle through all 3 states anyway.
Yes, there are still 3 states in Blankfiles' themes. Normal, collapsed and hidden. I think collapsed is useful for the majority of users with big projects, and should be part of the default cycle. But honestly, what's the point of super-collapsed? Especially over a hidden option.
__________________
BANDCAMP | YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK
Herr Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 10:39 AM   #7
nofish
Human being with feelings
 
nofish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: home is where the heart is
Posts: 9,050
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bFooz View Post
I know some people are making supercollapsed children invisible by setting the TCP height to 0.
That seems potentially dangerous (if it hasn't changed meanwhile):
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...45&postcount=4
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 04:14 PM   #8
Blankfiles
Human being with feelings
 
Blankfiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 941
Default

I'm not yet studying version 6 in the Tcp section
but version 5 if you want to make disappear you just have to replace the value has 0

Walter
tcp_heights 0 28 46 60 ; supercollapsed, collapsed, small(norecarm), recarm size

that the way i use..,maybe there another way but that work fine
From what I've seen to date codes in version 6 they are much more complete with more macro ect but with a little time spent reading them I'm starting to understand but there is a huge work done by WT that brings us to new horizon Nice work done here
__________________
My Themes :I Logic V2.:I Logic V1.:I Logic NeXt.:Concerto.
Hydra.
Blankfiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 06:51 AM   #9
White Tie
Pixel Pusher
 
White Tie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Blighty
Posts: 2,563
Default

Setting supercollapsed heights to zero is one of those things that seems, and probably is, fine if you understand it. However, it is extremely dangerous to anyone who doesn't ...which understandably is probably the case for almost all users.

A zero height track is still a track. Unlike a hidden track, it and its contents are entirely interactive, though by being zero pixels high there is no visual representation of any interaction. There are dozens of ways this could inadvertently lead a user into lots of real-world trouble that could mess up their project/session/reputation/coffee.

The goal to hide child tracks interactively is an appealing one, and I applaud any and all hacks that get get good things done! However, the cost on this one is non-obvious (by definition) and severe, and so I would ask that whenever it is discussed everyone takes great pains to point out the dangers. Someone could, in good faith, google their way to the wrong thread and start doing things they will almost certainly regret.
__________________
The House of White Tie
White Tie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 10:56 AM   #10
Herr Nox
Human being with feelings
 
Herr Nox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Canada
Posts: 93
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
Setting supercollapsed heights to zero is one of those things that seems, and probably is, fine if you understand it. However, it is extremely dangerous to anyone who doesn't ...which understandably is probably the case for almost all users.

A zero height track is still a track. Unlike a hidden track, it and its contents are entirely interactive, though by being zero pixels high there is no visual representation of any interaction. There are dozens of ways this could inadvertently lead a user into lots of real-world trouble that could mess up their project/session/reputation/coffee.

The goal to hide child tracks interactively is an appealing one, and I applaud any and all hacks that get get good things done! However, the cost on this one is non-obvious (by definition) and severe, and so I would ask that whenever it is discussed everyone takes great pains to point out the dangers. Someone could, in good faith, google their way to the wrong thread and start doing things they will almost certainly regret.
Thanks for the info WT. Do you happen to know why the super-collapsed state exists? As in, what are the devs' motivations behind this actual state over a hidden state? Or maybe it's simply a limitation of the code that they have to work with (I'm not a coder, so it's only hypothetical here).
__________________
BANDCAMP | YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK
Herr Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 04:40 PM   #11
Reflected
Human being with feelings
 
Reflected's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,160
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bFooz View Post
Not possible by a theme afaik, possible by scripting:
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...15&postcount=8

thanks!!!
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.