Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 10-29-2020, 03:45 PM   #1
Phazma
Human being with feelings

Default Mixer FX bypass button (or dry/wet/bypass knob)

It would be very handy to have a small button on the side of insert FX in the mixer that allows to toggle bypass for an FX with a single click, instead of always having to hold shift for bypassing.

A common use case would be to quickly A/B what an FX does to a software instrument while playing the keyboard with the other hand (which is not possible when holding shift).

Also, many people might not be familiar with the shift-click-bypass feature (or not use mouse modifiers at all), so having a dedicated GUI button makes this important feature accessible to everybody, including casual Reaper users.

Implementation idea 1 (simple single functionality)

It could just be a simple on/off button somewhat like this:

Implementation idea 2 (more complex with double functionality)

Another implementation idea, which would perhaps be a little more complex but add an extra useful feature:
Instead of making it just a button, make it a knob. Dragging would adjust dry/wet of an FX and clicking toggles the bypass state. I imagine it like this:

Here the first FX is switched ON and 100% wet, the second FX is switched OFF and 50% wet.

Let me know if you find this feature useful and if you prefer the simpler implementation idea 1 which doesn’t distinguish between click and drag or the more complex implementation idea 2 which adds wet/dry adjustment on drag.

P.S.: Implementation idea 2 could be a useful feature enhancement for the send level knob too = drag to adjust level as always, click to toggle on/off!

Last edited by Phazma; 11-09-2021 at 03:16 AM. Reason: Better FR, as suggested by WT.
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 10:14 AM   #2
Phazma

Bump.
Old 11-30-2020, 05:24 PM   #3
valy

Yeah this could be useful, although maybe should be optional.

+1
valy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 01:38 AM   #4
Phazma

Quote:
Originally Posted by valy View Post
Yeah this could be useful, although maybe should be optional.

+1
Yeah would be fine with optional but it really should happen.
It helps for example to quickly A/B what an FX does to a software instrument while playing the keyboard with the other hand (which is not possible when holding shift).

What might also be an idea, instead of a simple on/off button have a dry/wet knob, similar to the send amount knob. Drag adjusts dry/wet percentage and click switches the FX on/off. Actually this could be implemented for sends aswell.

Last edited by Phazma; 06-02-2021 at 01:45 AM.
Old 12-15-2020, 02:47 PM   #5
FarfadetFarfelu

Yes very important missing feature !
FarfadetFarfelu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 03:50 AM   #6
vitalker

Makes sense.
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 06:36 AM   #7
Phazma

Bump.
Old 05-27-2021, 02:40 AM   #8

love to see than.. +1
12345678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 11:16 AM   #9
Desa

Having migrated from studio one, this is definitely something I miss a lot.
+1
Desa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 11:45 PM   #10
Pink Wool

Yes please! +1
Pink Wool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 04:06 AM   #11
Streck0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazma View Post
It helps for example to quickly A/B what an FX does to a software instrument while playing the keyboard with the other hand (which is not possible when holding shift).
Valid point. +1
Streck0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 12:47 AM   #12
Phazma

Bump.
Old 09-23-2021, 04:26 AM   #13
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Bump.
Quote:
Bump.
Quote:
Bump.
If I may be forgiven for offering some uninvited guidance, bumps don't matter. Never have.

However, I believe your FR could be improved by making its case better. You explain that your button suggestion would save the need to to hold shift, but that means your entire FR is easy to dismiss with the thought 'what's wrong with holding shift?', which you could pre-emptively address if you have a good answer. But you also miss a very pertinent fact that shift-clicking a plugin to bypass it is functionality of zero value to the user who doesn't know they could do that A button would serve as representation and temptation of the hidden functionality.
Old 09-23-2021, 06:57 AM   #14
Phazma

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
If I may be forgiven for offering some uninvited guidance, bumps don't matter. Never have.
Not sure how often that happens, but there are certainly cases where patient bumping eventually caught the dev's attention, like this thread for example: https://forums.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=221385

Quote:
However, I believe your FR could be improved by making its case better. You explain that your button suggestion would save the need to to hold shift, but that means your entire FR is easy to dismiss with the thought 'what's wrong with holding shift?', which you could pre-emptively address if you have a good answer.
I actually gave an example of a situation where holding shift is detrimental to the workflow:

Quote:
I admit I should have written it in the first post of the thread though, and not just as an answer to valy as not everybody will read through the discussion. I will edit the first post.

Quote:
But you also miss a very pertinent fact that shift-clicking a plugin to bypass it is functionality of zero value to the user who doesn't know they could do that A button would serve as representation and temptation of the hidden functionality.
This is a good point. I actually didn't even consider that someone might not know about the feature as I thought that quick toggling FX is a very common workflow and so most users would have researched how to do it in Reaper anyway.

The fact that some people could consider this a 'hidden functionality' really shows how important it is to make it properly accessible through the GUI.
Old 11-04-2021, 06:48 AM   #15
dylan.w

Yep, great idea. I was pretty surprised this didn't exist. And imo, a case really does not need to be made for something so self-evidently useful, intuitive and accessible.
dylan.w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 04:00 PM   #16
gapalil001

I always use shift+click to bypass fx or send slots. Extremely useful without any discomfort
gapalil001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 04:22 PM   #17
Phazma

Quote:
Originally Posted by gapalil001 View Post
I always use shift+click to bypass fx or send slots. Extremely useful without any discomfort
You need both hands to do that. If you want to trigger a VSTi with a MIDI controller with one hand while toggling the FX on/off with the other hand it is not possible outside of the FX chain window because you need to hold the shift modifier.

Adding support for an FX bypass button image (per FX instance) to Reaper's theming would be a great and useful improvement.
Old 11-06-2021, 06:02 PM   #18
Daodan

+1 for this
Daodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 12:06 AM   #19
imbalon

+1
nice idea but could be optional
imbalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 05:58 AM   #20
gapalil001

Quote:
You need both hands to do that. If you want to trigger a VSTi with a MIDI controller with one hand while toggling the FX on/off with the other hand it is not possible outside of the FX chain window because you need to hold the shift modifier.

Adding support for an FX bypass button image (per FX instance) to Reaper's theming would be a great and useful improvement.
my hand is always on keyboard, but you are right, it's would be nice to see current dry/wet level. according to this, would be great to have possibility to place sendlist_meter images via WALTER and use pink/yellow markers. will create feature request for this

and, obviously, +1!
gapalil001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 03:29 AM   #21
Phazma

Btw on a second thought I am not sure anymore how well it could be supported by WALTER, given that FX slots are not a separate UI element but are automatically placed based on mcp.extmixer.position. There is little room for customizing the position of this bypass button/knob image.

So probably a preference to add or hide it (which compresses or stretches the mcp_fxlist images accordingly) and, in case of going with implementation idea 2, just use the mcp_send_knob_stack image would be the better solution.
Old 01-25-2022, 08:59 AM   #22
alxgvr

Bump bump bump
alxgvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 12:48 AM   #23
Phazma

Maybe now that some UI/UX updates are in the works it’s a good time to add this? Still much needed.