Old 05-02-2019, 02:58 PM   #41
Lokasenna
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Soundbars are truly a facsimile speaker. The effort and materials could be used to produce an actual functional speaker. Instead they went for a misleading facsimile product to sell to someone that has never heard an actual sound system and/or also doesn't care whatsoever. They would probably sound better than a 2" TV speaker. Maybe...
Having just purchased a well-reviewed JBL soundbar, I completely agree. The bar itself seems to start cutting off around 1kHz, and the subwoofer only seems to reproduce up to 100Hz or so... let's just say that listening to Iron Maiden it's hard to tell they have a bass player. I think the satellites in our previous 3.1 system had 3" speakers, if that, and the woofer was set a little higher, so we got the full range even if it wasn't perfect.

Better than TV speakers by a long-shot, but still pretty bad.

Last edited by Lokasenna; 05-02-2019 at 03:58 PM.
Lokasenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 03:29 PM   #42
karbomusic

I'm not sure why one would get a soundbar without a sub unless all they wanted was something better than the TV speaker. Not speaking of anyone here, just my actual thoughts before reading this thread. That said, I have one with sub and rear speakers, does a decent enough job as a set, and of course there was never any intention of mixing on them.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:45 PM   #43
future fields

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I'm not sure why one would get a soundbar without a sub unless all they wanted was something better than the TV speaker. Not speaking of anyone here, just my actual thoughts before reading this thread. That said, I have one with sub and rear speakers, does a decent enough job as a set, and of course there was never any intention of mixing on them.
The Yamaha YAS-108 has way more than enough bass for an apartment. I already need to keep the bass on a minimal setting or I can feel the walls and floors vibrating which means I am sure my neighbors can hear it, and I like to keep things peaceful. It has a dedicated sub output so one can be added in the future.

I would never mix music on it LOL!
Old 05-02-2019, 06:25 PM   #44
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by future fields View Post
The Yamaha YAS-108 has way more than enough bass for an apartment. I already need to keep the bass on a minimal setting or I can feel the walls and floors vibrating which means I am sure my neighbors can hear it, and I like to keep things peaceful. It has a dedicated sub output so one can be added in the future.
Had no idea, that works for me.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:55 PM   #45
cyrano

I suspect TV sound is deliberately bad, to sell some soundbars. I see several examples where the sound bar costs more than the TV...
Old 05-03-2019, 12:57 AM   #46
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
The jukes I grew up with, were the last of the tube driven ones and the early trasistorised ones. Not that I had much to do with them, as a 12 year old...

Mr. Everly. I'd be gobsmacked too. Was his brother around?

No this was during their period of estrangement in the 80s. He was a really nice guy though - very chatty & invited me to join him at a particular bar/diner that was favoured by both him and a lot of the british musicians visiting town. I always loved what he and his brother did and this just made me into a lifetime fan, frankly. So sad the way it all ended up, but nothing lasts forever.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:47 AM   #47
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
I suspect TV sound is deliberately bad, to sell some soundbars. I see several examples where the sound bar costs more than the TV...
Heh heh, no. It is simply the laws of physics losing the battle to WAF -very small drivers with little surface area in very small enclosures in flimsy panels. The TVs have to be super slim today, this leaves no room for speakers that can produce rich sound - premium models have add on speakers that are much thicker than the TV.

As each generation of flatscreen TVs got slimmer the TVs inbuilt speakers got generally worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
These are just about acceptable in the bass without a sub for an extremely small flat, if you can put on with the lows being MIA:
https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/au...600/index.html

Also the surround effect is far more convincing than the basic models, though not good by separate speaker standards and not so easy to just plonk down due to the TV height -so mostly for wall mounting, or under wall mounted TVs. A genuinely worthy step up over TV sound but for a serious premium price. Satellite systems at similar price are comfortably better but less convenient - and you still have the issue of bass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by future fields View Post

I would never mix music on it LOL!
Good to hear it!
I agree that the entry level soundbars also sound better than most TVs sound on their own, which isn't difficult today.

Last edited by Softsynth; 05-03-2019 at 03:23 AM.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote