Old 03-25-2019, 01:20 PM   #1
Fillerupmac
Human being with feelings

Default Can't get Arturia VSts to work

Will admit up front I'm somewhat of a noob...

I can use DIVA as a VST, and everything works fine.

I can play any Arturia synth through their Analog Lab and no problems there.
I am using the Arturia midi Keyboard 61 MKII - that works fine with the DIVA VST.

When I add an Arturia synth as a VST, and play on the Keyboard, I see RED Volume indicators, not YELLOW. If I try to use the keyboard associated with the Arturia VSTs nothing happens. This is true for any of the Arturia VSTs. I have checked all the MIDI settings and they appear identical - I have even done a "replace VST" in Reaper.

What am I missing???? Thanks in Advance!

Al

Last edited by Fillerupmac; 03-25-2019 at 01:50 PM. Reason: typos
Fillerupmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 11:40 AM   #2
brendo

Are you saying the keylab mkII is not triggering the vst, while a different keyboard is?
brendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 12:36 PM   #3
lunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillerupmac View Post
When I add an Arturia synth as a VST, and play on the Keyboard, I see RED Volume indicators.

If I try to use the keyboard associated with the Arturia VSTs nothing happens.
Just checking to make sure I understand:

What you play the external keyboard, you get red bars in the meter for the Arturia VST track (which if I understand you correctly, means that the track is indicating that it is receiving MIDI input). But you get no sound from the VST.

And when you use the virtual keyboard that is part of the VST, you get no sound (and also no red MIDI indicator on the meter, but that is normal).

If I understood that right, it sounds like there is something wrong with the track routing, or something else that is preventing you from hearing the sound from the VST.

Since there isn't any sound when you use the VST's internal virtual keyboard, that rules out using the wrong MIDI channel (which would have been my first guess at why you can't get sound with the external keyboard, even though it shows MIDI activity on the track).

Actually if you're not seeing sound activity on the meter, then something else seems amiss. Even if the routing was preventing you from hearing sound, you should still see it on the meter -- unless you have the fader turned all the way down, or the Arturia VST bypassed or something.

I can assure you that the Arturia VSTs do in fact make noise.

You may need to post the RPP file here, so that someone can look at it to see if they find something obvious.
lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 02:03 PM   #4
kirk1701

Four things you should check:

a. Have you enabled the Arturia hardware in Preferences?

b. Is the direct monitor button switched on?

c. Is your input set to "record MIDI overdub"?

d. Is your output set to "Arturia MIDI keyboard"?

These are surprisingly easy things to forget.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:04 PM   #5
Fillerupmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendo View Post
Are you saying the keylab mkII is not triggering the vst, while a different keyboard is?
No, the only hardware midi keyboard I have is the Keylab MK II. When I play a key on the MK II, and I have selected a Arturia VST3, I see a red indicator jump, but no sound and no yellow indicator. The Arturia VSTs have a virtual keyboard, trying to play a key there yields nothing - no red indicator, no sound, and even NO movement of the key on the virtual keyboard.

NOTE: If I replace the Arturia VST, with DIVA, and don't change any other settings/routings, I get yellow Volume indicators, sound - it all works fine.

Al
Old 03-28-2019, 04:03 PM   #6
Fillerupmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker View Post
Just checking to make sure I understand:

What you play the external keyboard, you get red bars in the meter for the Arturia VST track (which if I understand you correctly, means that the track is indicating that it is receiving MIDI input). But you get no sound from the VST.

And when you use the virtual keyboard that is part of the VST, you get no sound (and also no red MIDI indicator on the meter, but that is normal).

If I understood that right, it sounds like there is something wrong with the track routing, or something else that is preventing you from hearing the sound from the VST.

Since there isn't any sound when you use the VST's internal virtual keyboard, that rules out using the wrong MIDI channel (which would have been my first guess at why you can't get sound with the external keyboard, even though it shows MIDI activity on the track).

Actually if you're not seeing sound activity on the meter, then something else seems amiss. Even if the routing was preventing you from hearing sound, you should still see it on the meter -- unless you have the fader turned all the way down, or the Arturia VST bypassed or something.

I can assure you that the Arturia VSTs do in fact make noise.

You may need to post the RPP file here, so that someone can look at it to see if they find something obvious.
I tried to find the section on VU Meters in the User Guide, but couldn't.

I think the important note here is that if I just start with a new project, and insert a DIVA VST into the first track. It works fine - so the routing, midi, everything seems to be fine. If all I do is replace the DIVA VST with any Arturia VST, don't touch any of the routing, etc. I get no sound. Apparently it recognizes the midi keyboard (the MK II), but the Arturia VST is not going anywhere.

I'll gladly furnish the RPP file, should that be as an attachment, or copy and paste the contents?
Al Schlafli
Old 03-28-2019, 04:51 PM   #7
peter5992

You got something screwed up in the either the midi or audio routing, or where Reaper is looking for VSTs.

1. Where is Reaper looking for VSTs?
2. Where are your Arturia VST dlls installed on your computer?
3. Windows or mac?

It's not a keyboard issue, since your Arturia keyboard works with Uhe.

I have dozens of Arturia soft synths, they work fine with Reaper.

peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 04:55 PM   #8
Judders

Just a thought - might the Arturia synths be triggering REAPER's automute? Maybe the volume knob is up too high on your controller?
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 08:26 AM   #9
Fillerupmac

peter -

"You got something screwed up in the either the midi or audio routing, or where Reaper is looking for VSTs.

1. Where is Reaper looking for VSTs?
2. Where are your Arturia VST dlls installed on your computer?
3. Windows or mac?

It's not a keyboard issue, since your Arturia keyboard works with Uhe."

Yeah I wish I could fine whatever it is!!
1&2. Most of them are in C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3, including several Cockos and Arturia VSTs. The settings in REAPER point to that folder, among others.

I also rescanned for VSTs, and Reaper came up with the same folders.
3. Windows 10

Last edited by Fillerupmac; 03-29-2019 at 08:28 AM. Reason: add info
Old 03-29-2019, 08:32 AM   #10
Fillerupmac

I would think that if one VST works fine, then I shouldn't have to change ANY settings or routes, then I should be able to REPLACE that VST with another VST (choosing from the FX library that pops up when I say REPLACE)???

This thinking works for any VST except for Arturias'. So there must be a setting in Arturia SOMEWHERE that causes problems???
Old 03-30-2019, 01:05 AM   #11
Tale

Do the standalone versions of the Arturia synths work?
Tale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 09:10 AM   #12
Fillerupmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tale View Post
Do the standalone versions of the Arturia synths work?
Yes - no problem there.

Al
Old 04-03-2019, 04:49 PM   #13
Fillerupmac

Default Arturia VSTs UPDATE - SOLVED

Switching the sound drivers to ASIO4ALL and I'm in business!! YAY!
Al SChlafli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillerupmac View Post
Will admit up front I'm somewhat of a noob...

I can use DIVA as a VST, and everything works fine.

I can play any Arturia synth through their Analog Lab and no problems there.
I am using the Arturia midi Keyboard 61 MKII - that works fine with the DIVA VST.

When I add an Arturia synth as a VST, and play on the Keyboard, I see RED Volume indicators, not YELLOW. If I try to use the keyboard associated with the Arturia VSTs nothing happens. This is true for any of the Arturia VSTs. I have checked all the MIDI settings and they appear identical - I have even done a "replace VST" in Reaper.

What am I missing???? Thanks in Advance!

Al