audiojunkie
Human being with feelings

Default WINE installation questions

Hi everyone,

on the WINEHQ WIKI installation instruction page:

https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu

This is stated:

Installing WineHQ packages
If you have previously installed a Wine package from another repository, please remove it and any packages that depend on it (e.g., wine-mono, wine-gecko, winetricks) before attempting to install the WineHQ packages, as they may cause dependency conflicts.

If your system is 64 bit, enable 32 bit architecture (if you haven't already):

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386

I am assuming that this is telling WINE to work with both 64bit and 32bit Windows applications. Am I correct in my understanding?

Also, my understanding is that LinVST supports 64bit and 32bit Windows VSTs. Am I correct in understanding this? Is there anything special that has to be done with 32bit vs 64bit VSTs to make them work? Do they need to go into a different directory or need any special settings?

Am I on the right track or way off? I'm just now getting around to trying to install the Windows part of things. Thanks!
audiojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 06:54 PM   #2
audiojunkie

Wow! 20 views and not a single response amongst all of you experts? Really?
Old 08-01-2018, 06:57 PM   #3
osxmidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiojunkie View Post
Hi everyone,

on the WINEHQ WIKI installation instruction page:

https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu

This is stated:

Installing WineHQ packages
If you have previously installed a Wine package from another repository, please remove it and any packages that depend on it (e.g., wine-mono, wine-gecko, winetricks) before attempting to install the WineHQ packages, as they may cause dependency conflicts.

If your system is 64 bit, enable 32 bit architecture (if you haven't already):

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386

I am assuming that this is telling WINE to work with both 64bit and 32bit Windows applications. Am I correct in my understanding?

Also, my understanding is that LinVST supports 64bit and 32bit Windows VSTs. Am I correct in understanding this? Is there anything special that has to be done with 32bit vs 64bit VSTs to make them work? Do they need to go into a different directory or need any special settings?

Am I on the right track or way off? I'm just now getting around to trying to install the Windows part of things. Thanks!
Yes, the WineHQ install is for Wine to run 64 bit and 32 bit Windows apps.

But some 32 bit Windows apps need more libraries so a distros multilib/multiarch needs to be installed.

32 bit vst's running under the 64bit LinVst versions need a distros multiarch to be enabled (sudo apt-get install gcc-multilib g++-multilib for Ubuntu/Debian).

After that, LinVst (the 64/32 Makefile version which is the default binary release) can run (or attempt to run) 64 and 32 bit vst's and they are basically just treated the same by LinVst.
osxmidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:12 PM   #4
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiojunkie View Post
Wow! 20 views and not a single response amongst all of you experts? Really?
1) I didn't specifically view your post to answer it. I'm learning about this stuff too, and preparing for the challenges I'll face. I wouldn't be surprised if some more of those 20 views are like this (or by people who have no clue what you're talking about because it's part of a Linux forum where the odd person will stumble through wondering what's going on in general, lol...)

2) Who claimed to be an expert on this?

3) A whole 20 views! A whole 3 hours without a response!

Welcome to Linux. This won't be the last time you'll have to be a bit patient.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:14 PM   #5
audiojunkie

Wonderful! Thanks for the help, OSXMidi!!!!
Old 08-01-2018, 08:16 PM   #6
audiojunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
1) I didn't specifically view your post to answer it. I'm learning about this stuff too, and preparing for the challenges I'll face. I wouldn't be surprised if some more of those 20 views are like this (or by people who have no clue what you're talking about because it's part of a Linux forum where the odd person will stumble through wondering what's going on in general, lol...)

2) Who claimed to be an expert on this?

3) A whole 20 views! A whole 3 hours without a response!

Welcome to Linux. This won't be the last time you'll have to be a bit patient.
Hahaha!!! Grrrrrr!!!! :-D Point taken. :-)
Old 08-01-2018, 08:19 PM   #7
JamesPeters

I'll help when I can, too. That is, if I don't end up neck deep in my own Linux install issues. I have some work to complete on my system (and then one more backup to do) before putting Linux on it.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote