Old 03-25-2019, 05:46 PM   #81
bjohn
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by sostenuto View Post
Spitfire Audio is one the top-tier sources for Orchestral libraries for decades.
Really strains my Reaper affinity to see these posts.
These posts are about the free Spitfire Labs VSTs, not the big sample libraries (which are for the most part amazing and excellent). The Labs are much smaller samples, more limited in scope, but I still find them enjoyable to play with and have no complaints myself.

I don't think anyone is dissing Spitfire's commercial libraries, just the free Labs samples.
bjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:28 PM   #82
sostenuto

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohn View Post
These posts are about the free Spitfire Labs VSTs, not the big sample libraries (which are for the most part amazing and excellent). The Labs are much smaller samples, more limited in scope, but I still find them enjoyable to play with and have no complaints myself.

I don't think anyone is dissing Spitfire's commercial libraries, just the free Labs samples.
Understand! Yet some capable talents over at VI-C Forum have composed some impressive
results simply from LABS libs.

Never a serious issue with individuals expressing their impressions.
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:53 PM   #83
bjohn

Quote:
Understand! Yet some capable talents over at VI-C Forum have composed some impressive results simply from LABS libs.
Even the example compositions on the LABS site are quite nice...I look forward to playing with the new modular piano. I have most of the LABS instruments and a couple of the paid libraries as well, impressed with all of it.
bjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:12 PM   #84
Goldreap

Even though they've had my email address for about a year I don't get any of the usual tedious 'great deals' offers etc for their paid stuff...absolutely none...just get emails about their latest LABS thing...and sometimes they even miss them! Great stuff.
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:28 PM   #85
Quasar

Quote:
Spitfire Audio is one the top-tier sources for Orchestral libraries for decades.
Really strains my Reaper affinity to see these posts.
Reaper users span all genres and I do not expect rabid Orchestral support here.
OTH _ truly disappointed at level of this Thread.

Spitfire Audio is heavily committed to global users, and I begin to lose respect and confidence for these several ignorant responses.

There are no music genres I disrespect. There are several which I do not yet enjoy.
Posting crap about them on Reaper Forum is hopefully not what Reaper is about.
Reaper is a DAW, a tool. It's not "about" peoples' musical aesthetics, VI preferences or anything else...

... I have and very much like several Spitfire libraries, but am not interested in their proprietary player and free stuff for the simple reason that they do not offer an offline installation & activation option, which seems to be the trend these days, much to my horror and dismay. So thanks but no thanks.
Quasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:55 PM   #86
Curtis
Banned

I downloaded spitfire it works ok, but I must have missed the part where I would tell it where to install, I don't like it installed on the system drive.
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 01:10 AM   #87
analogexplosions

To add to this discussion, the software you install is their sample download manager. It's used for the free LABS packs as well as the big multi-thousand dollar collections. A download manager is used because these libraries can get huge and download timeouts would be terrible, especially if you're unlucky enough to be on one of these new "limited/metered" ISP plans.

I have absolutely no issues with using download managers for plugins and they make everything easier for the most part. My Flux plugins use a manager. My Softube plugins use a manager, My Toontrack stuff uses a manager...
Old 03-27-2019, 12:05 PM   #88
Linspace

I like the Drumkit, but is there anyway to get more than just the stereo channels out? Doesn't seem like it, but would be nice.
Linspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 01:43 PM   #89
foxAsteria

Every time I run this plugin, the gods flip a coin to decide whether it works or not.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:55 AM   #90
Lunar Ladder

I'm very glad I got all the LABS instruments that interested me before they pulled them and started releasing these newly packaged ones using their proprietary VSTi. There's some really magnificent stuff in there, and what is currently available is just a fraction of it all. I've used them on a number of things; however, as Kontakt is already so tried and tested and "just works" days on end, I'd much rather just keep loading these as Kontakt instruments and won't consider installing the proprietary plugin unless something extremely cool comes up.
Lunar Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:12 AM   #91
Lunar Ladder

Quote:
They are very good, yes, but they had their ten year anniversary just a year or two ago
Lunar Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:59 AM   #92
sostenuto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Ladder View Post
They are very good, yes, but they had their ten year anniversary just a year or two ago
Agreed ! Also have most earlier LABS and enjoy them.
New player is SF path for future (in some form) and I will live with growing pains. Feel badly that many issues posted above likely due to player and App more than libs themselves.
Admit to some loyalty bias …..
Old 03-28-2019, 09:00 AM   #93
chip mcdonald

Quote:
Who is posting crap about them?

My install was a pain in the butt, very obtuse and while I did get it working, I'm not sure exactly what it was that made it work. That's not a knock on the quality of the libraries - which I think are phenomenal (and I wish I could afford their orchestral sets) - but the installer was a mess.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:34 AM   #94
sostenuto

OK. One poorly worded line after many earlier posts. Apologies.

Running on (2) capable Win10 Pro, Desktop PC's and all 'was' fine with all new player LABS. Needed to move SSD content to HDD and several issues.
Good responses from SFA, but solutions have been clumsy and tedious. New LABS libraries seem useful and capable. Implementation in their App has some notable issues which need serious attention.
The 'Reset, Repair, Locate, (re)Install' process is flawed and deserving of critical comment !
Old 03-28-2019, 11:14 AM   #95
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip mcdonald View Post
Who is posting crap about them?

My install was a pain in the butt, very obtuse and while I did get it working, I'm not sure exactly what it was that made it work. That's not a knock on the quality of the libraries - which I think are phenomenal (and I wish I could afford their orchestral sets) - but the installer was a mess.
Exactly my experience as well. And that was only on the ones I actually got to install. I have 2 installed and the rest refuse to cooperate so I've given up on them.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:32 AM   #96
sostenuto

My experiences may only be applicable to Win10 Pro /Reaper v5.973 and the related Spitfire Audio App and Spitfire Audio - LABS installs.

'Settings' location needs to be checked as SF default location may be incorrect … and possible multiple folder locations can be disastrous.
Each LABS library has a 'cog' in lower right corner, and the 'Reset' __ then 'Entire Library' can get User back to Install (do for each LABS library).
This should place all desired LABS libs in the proper folder and fully usable in Reaper.

Understand those who find this clumsy and frustrating. I do as well, but once properly installed, these LABS (free) libraries are cool to have …. imho.

(EDIT) .... have ongoing communications with SFA on LABS /App issues; they are listening and receptive.
Advised about Reaper Forum experiences and work is ongoing to produce much better solutions with the new (non-Kontakt) player.

Last edited by sostenuto; 03-28-2019 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:03 PM   #97
Goldreap

Just tested the latest LABS...Scary Strings.

There seems to be a problem with the engine for the 'stretched' and 'sustain' variants.....getting glitchy robotic sounds that don't follow keyboard pitch...this happens if the first keys I play are high...if I start with lower keys then move up the keyboard the sounds seem as intended.
Did a repair then a reset to no avail. Tried the refresh button options to no avail.
Anyone else getting this?
I'll contact Spitfire about it.

Last edited by Goldreap; 04-04-2019 at 08:31 AM.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:09 PM   #98
sostenuto

Just installed and will check.
SFA Chat has Sandy right now and a preferred contact from my experience.

(edit) _ Not hearing what you describe, but may not be focusing on same issues.
Focusrite Saffire 14Pro to Sennheiser headphones & HS5 monitors. Win10 Pro /Reaper 5.973.
Axiom Pro61 default key range.

Last edited by sostenuto; 03-28-2019 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-28-2019, 01:50 PM   #99
Goldreap

Thanks for testing.
See attachment...zip contains mp3....playing MIDI notes 71, 67 then 66 into Scary Strings: Sustain patch.

All other LABS instruments working OK.
All other Windows 10 and REAPER audio/MIDI working as usual.
Attached Files
File Type: zip LABS problem.zip (207.2 KB, 85 views)
Old 03-28-2019, 03:08 PM   #100
foxAsteria

Default Possible Fix

I managed to solve my problem.

I found I had to make sure the install folders and files were not set to Read-Only before doing the Repair process. Otherwise the sample files were downloaded but never appearing in the Sample directory.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:24 PM   #101
sostenuto

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
I managed to solve my problem.

I found I had to make sure the install folders and files were not set to Read-Only before doing the Repair process. Otherwise the sample files were downloaded but never appearing in the Sample directory.
THX for useful info !! Although all is now fine, Repair did not work here either, and Read-Only never occurred to me as possible issue. Reset and Install was tedious, but fixed everything.

Regards
Old 03-29-2019, 07:42 AM   #102
chip mcdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsounds View Post
Exactly my experience as well. And that was only on the ones I actually got to install. I have 2 installed and the rest refuse to cooperate so I've given up on them.
I have to say that I'm very jaded now about vstis, and I too, almost gave up on them but I'm glad I didn't. They're a cut above IMO, very nicely done and inspiring. Extremely provocative sales promotion, they were not really on my radar before but now I've been thinking "it'd be nice to have that string library"...
Old 03-29-2019, 07:54 PM   #103
sickamorz
Banned

Installed Spitfire Audio I'm satisfied with it, to I received an email that another item for the Spitfire Audio is available, is there something wrong with my install that the new items don't go to the installed app in the not installed category.
sickamorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 09:34 PM   #104
sostenuto

Seems logical … along with several more improvements. Have several SFA Orch libs and all LABS, but each new LABS generates an e-mail requiring log-in and 'get /download' action.

Two distinct, challenging paths for SFA.
Develop /refine the Player (replacing Kontakt) AND
Staying abreast of VSL, Orch Tools, Cinematic Studio, Cinesamples, etc., etc, with new String, Brass, Woodwinds, Percussion releases.

Hoping they find their way …...
Old 03-30-2019, 05:13 AM   #105
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
Requires creating an account with them plus installation of some "software" on your computer first. (This might be a deal breaker to some people.)
No, this only shows Spitshit is not really interested in sharing. Sharing is easy, put the file with a link, not torturing users, do this first, then this, but also this and this.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 05:25 AM   #106
TonE

Quote:
Spitfire Audio is heavily committed to global users, and I begin to lose respect and confidence for these several ignorant responses.

First nobody cares of your respect. Second crap is what Spitshit is doing here. Not about the sounds but the style of 'sharing', go home Spitshit. Now you can disrespect me, ignore mi, fa sol la si do.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote