Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 01-24-2010, 04:29 PM   #1
stratman
Human being with feelings

Default Chair Recommendations Needed

Maybe a strange question. Am I the only one with this issue?

I suffer from a bad back and I'm sure my music room chair doesn't help. I need a good chair.

Here's the chair spec.
1) Comfortable and good for my back
2) Something I can get in the UK
3) Fairly inexpensive
4) Swivels, so I can rotate to my midi keyboard
5) On wheels, so I can move back from the desk
6) Not too bulky - my music room is small
7) No arms on the chair, so I can play guitar and bass

Any thoughts?

My wife says it's not the chair, but the amount of time I spend sitting in it. But she would say that

Pete
stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:34 PM   #2
rictheobscene

I bought an AK Octane chair a few years ago and did not put the arms on it. It is targeted towards gamers, but after sitting in it, I knew it would work great, and it did. They don't appear to be available anymore, but you might do some searching.

But, the gamer chairs are definitely a good place to start looking.
rictheobscene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:02 PM   #3
Art Evans
Mortal

http://www.bambach.com.au/

I used one for some time. To begin with, a bit hard on the behind, but you do come to realise it's pushing you into the best posture.
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:14 PM   #4
bullshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Evans View Post
Hm, looks painful for the ol' sack, or is the version on the front page for women?
bullshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:16 PM   #5
BishopJD

It may not be the chair as much as the position in which you sit. I have an OmniRax console desk in my studio with the padded arm rest across the front and I find myself constantly leaning forward over the console. I often get up and can't stand straight for several minutes. Posture is extremely important. just my 2 cents (or pounds) worth.

Blessings
BishopJD
BishopJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:38 PM   #6
bullshark

Been trying to find a chair like this:

http://www.globalindustrial.com/g/of...fold-away-arms

with foldaway arms for guitar and bass playing for years and years now(can't order from that place as it would cost 3 time the cost of the chair in shipping alone). Fold away armrest like this is such a basic and useful idea, why are they so rare?
bullshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:21 AM   #7
susbemol

Not much to add other than that it does make a huge difference.

I have also recently started to struggle with my back and sitting in the chair in the music room helps a lot (really restful posture/position). I have even gone there in the middle of a couple of nights when I couldn't stay comfy in bed.

Best of all, I was given it for free.

here it is:
susbemol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:30 AM   #8
vocalid

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20103101

I've had it for 2 years now, best chair I ever bought
Since it's self-assembly, you can leave the arms off if you want

Key features
Approved for office use; comfortable to sit on during long working periods.
Seating surface in easy care split leather.
Height adjustable for a comfortable sitting posture.
Adjustable and lockable tilt function for increased stability and control in different sitting positions.
Built-in lumbar support; provides extra relief and support for your back.
With headrest; provides extra support for your head and neck.
The mesh material of the backrest lets air through to your back during long sitting periods.

Last edited by vocalid; 05-03-2011 at 05:51 PM.
vocalid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:36 AM   #9
rictheobscene

IKEA makes some nifty products.
rictheobscene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:50 AM   #10
Tedwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopJD View Post
It may not be the chair as much as the position in which you sit. I have an OmniRax console desk in my studio with the padded arm rest across the front and I find myself constantly leaning forward over the console. I often get up and can't stand straight for several minutes. Posture is extremely important. just my 2 cents (or pounds) worth.

Blessings
BishopJD
This is a very good point, but I might add that the position in which is sit will be to a great extent dependent on the position you have your monitor/keyboard in also.

I have had some serious arm, wrist and back ache. It seems to me the worst thing you can do is work in the the same position for extended periods. Position is like drugs or alcoholic drinks - they are all good in moderation.

I move my monitor and chair around from time to time.

By all means look around for a comfy chair - OH NO, NOT THE COMFY CHAIR! - but don't expect it to be the panacea for all your ills
Old 01-25-2010, 12:11 PM   #11
pixeltarian

A mouse and a chair are two things I would splurge on. I don't know about you, but I use them more than anything else in my home studio.
pixeltarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:30 PM   #12
stratman

Thanks for the info. I wasn't expecting such a good response, because I thought it might seem like odd question on a music forum, but it's important to me.

For something I can get in the UK, I like the look of the IKEA chair, provided it can be assembled without the arms.

Pete
stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:16 PM   #13
norbury brook

I bit the bullet a couple of years ago and bought one of these as I was starting to get a bad back.

http://www.johnlewis.com/230630306/P...x?source=14798

It's been agreat chair, however as was stated above you should take regular breaks throughout your working day

MC
norbury brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:21 PM   #14
vocalid

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman View Post
Thanks for the info. I wasn't expecting such a good response, because I thought it might seem like odd question on a music forum, but it's important to me.

For something I can get in the UK, I like the look of the IKEA chair, provided it can be assembled without the arms.

Pete
Yes, sitting on it now and is no problem to take off/never put on the armrestthingies
Actually, if I were you I'd only take off the right armrest so you have somewhere to thoughtfully lean on while ponderingly stroking your chin and waiting for inspiration to strike..... (That's how I do it - Non guitar player though)

Last edited by vocalid; 01-25-2010 at 01:44 PM.
vocalid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:51 PM   #15
midiboss

http://www.spinalis.co.uk/
Makes your back working... On the long run it strengths your back muscles...

midiboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:38 PM   #16
Cranky Emu

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman View Post
Maybe a strange question. Am I the only one with this issue?

I suffer from a bad back and I'm sure my music room chair doesn't help. I need a good chair.

Any thoughts?
Gidday Pete;

I think I am reasonably qualified in this area - I'm only the 4 chair now

Chair 1 - One of the cheap ones like you want to buy, think it cost around $150 AUD, lasted around 12 months and the gas lifter threw in the towel.

Chair 2 - It was a little more expensive at around $200, and would have probably still being in use if not for the girls jumping up and down on it and eventually the leg snapped right at the end near the wheel - worse still I was on it at the time not them

Chair 3 - Cheapo from a gov disposals store, it works, still have it, not very comfortable for extended stays. It is definitely a quick visit chair, think of it like going to the dentist, you wanna get out of there as fast as possible!

Chair 4 - Current one of the racing/gaming types. Worst chair yet! Horribly uncomfortable, very little in way of padding on the chair itself, it does not recline as most to, it is a manual stepping setup, and if your a big wider than your typical scrawny gamer geek, then it is pretty hard on the sides of your legs to as they have these wedges. So I am going to buy yet another chair, and this one is going to my mates place.

In summary - I've never had a great deal of luck with chairs...
Old 03-14-2019, 02:00 PM   #17
grinder

Firstly I am not a professional qualified in the art of posture.
What I am is 66 years of age a past athlete of some merit a musician for 50 years
and a past "problem with the prostate" person.
What I would target is arranging your workflow to stand up and walk around every half an hour.
Purchase an adjustable wheeled office chair and have a seating position which has your legs bending at a minimum of 90 degrees tom your torso in your working position.
Slouching over your desk will promote prostate problems, back problems, neck problems etc.
Take up a sport or sports aside from peering at a screen all day and night which will do no wonders for you
doing other movements will only serve to give you relief from the world you find yourself in.
I am a jade carver I used to sit for 13 hours a day when I was not doing sport or music. Not good
when you do not have active breaks.
Oh play your guitar standing up!

Meant kindly.

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 02:06 PM   #18
Breeder

I can't recommend the exact model but my chair has arms which can change

1) Height (up <-> down)
2) Distance from the table (front <-> back)
3) Angle towards the table (\\ <-> //)

By manipulating these, I can either play guitar without any obtrusion or rest my hand when using stuff on the table.

So make sure to check these out when you're out looking, it may benefit you too.

Good luck, good chair is indispensable ;D
Breeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:50 AM   #19
bjohn

In the 1990s, I had five years of weekly lessons in the Alexander Technique, which is all about maintaining your body in neutral, stress-free positions. The biggest lesson I learned about chairs is that the chair itself doesn't matter much (unless it forces you to sit in non-neutral positions); what matters is how you sit in the chair. It's generally a good idea to ensure that your knees are lower than your hips, and to avoid slouching, but sitting ramrod-straight isn't good either. You just want everything to be in balance to reduce strain on your neck, shoulders, and arms. See for example https://www.alexandertechnique.com/articles/chairs/.

My teacher back then recommended using an exercise ball instead of an office chair, and I did that for several years -- it was great in most respects but I had a couple of accidents where I leaned back a bit too far and fell over. I found it energizing to use, and was much less tired at the end of the day than when I sat on a chair. I might get another one someday; it's a good cheap solution.

I currently use a Steelcase Leap chair, which has been comfortable for about 7 years now; I have a stiff straight back attachment that I use with it
bjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:38 AM   #20
grinder

You said it better than I bjohn

Grinder
Old 03-19-2019, 01:33 PM   #21
woogish

before you change chairs, do this:

put something about 3 to 5 inches thick under ONE of your feet as you sit, and see, after an hour or so, if that helps.

Then, try putting a small mackenzie type roll in the small of your back - a rolled up towel works best for this because it is FIRM.

Try each of these separately, then together and see what happens. If one or both help you, then you are off to a good start. Any chair you you use MUST have armrests and adjustable height, tilt and lumbar support.
woogish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:31 AM   #22
bigearz

In 2014 my back muscles began spasming and it lasted for about 3 months. I had to get an epidural to make it go away. From that point I changed my studio ergonomics drastically. I began using a trackball instead of a mouse. I bought the Miracle Ball Method (cheap and it works if you give it about 20 minutes per session). I got rid of my chair and Googled 24/7 Office Chair. The one I decided on was made for big guys (which I am not) so it's somewhat oversized, but the build quality is great. It cost about $400 and worth every cent.
bigearz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:28 AM   #23
Lunar Ladder

https://www.isku.com/en/product/step-f-37cn-work-chair/

I've been using that (the plus model), with all the extras like the inflatable back support, for a good while now. It's been superb. I believe it's available in the UK. Using a standing desk most of the time, and when sitting down, this chair --> all back problems gone. Also remember to at least take the occasional stroll as recommended above.

Chair adjustments demonstration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZNJpDdJt4I

And just like Cranky Emu described above, this is the very first time I feel like I've hit a jackpot with chairs, haha, earlier in life they were more or less terrible in some way every time.
Lunar Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:41 AM   #24
brainwreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohn View Post
My teacher back then recommended using an exercise ball instead of an office chair, and I did that for several years -- it was great in most respects but I had a couple of accidents where I leaned back a bit too far and fell over. I found it energizing to use, and was much less tired at the end of the day than when I sat on a chair. I might get another one someday; it's a good cheap solution.
I never thought of doing that. Interesting.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:34 PM   #25
HammyHavoc

I'm loving my Edge GX1 (https://edge-products.com/product/edge-gx1/). They make them in the UK too interestingly. Been using mine a month, no complaints.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:52 PM   #26
woogish

Quote:
Originally Posted by woogish View Post
before you change chairs, do this:

put something about 3 to 5 inches thick under ONE of your feet as you sit, and see, after an hour or so, if that helps.

Then, try putting a small mackenzie type roll in the small of your back - a rolled up towel works best for this because it is FIRM.

Try each of these separately, then together and see what happens. If one or both help you, then you are off to a good start. Any chair you you use MUST have armrests and adjustable height, tilt and lumbar support.
Once I did this (ESPECIALLY the footrest), EVERY chair that I sat in (including a kitchen table chair made of wood with slats) worked absolutely perfectly..........

Last edited by woogish; 03-21-2019 at 03:25 PM.
woogish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:19 PM   #27
DVDdoug

I like a workbench and a stool (with a back) so I can alternate between sitting and standing. If you feel better standing-up part of the time that might be an option.

At work I have something like this. The one I have at work seems to adjust-down to regular desk-height but if you have the space you might want a stool and a chair. (At my current job I don't have a desk, only workbenches... and 5 computers...)

And/or maybe you can get an adjustable desk so you stand or sit at desk-height or workbench height.

At one time I had an office with a regular desk and taller drafting table and I could switch between them. I wasn't using the computer full-time (and it wasn't a laptop) so it stayed at the desk.

...I worked with a programmer that had SERIOUS back problems and the company bought him a chair similar to this. But, that has a "serious" price! And after a year or so he stopped using it.

BTW - I also prefer a trackball. ...When I was doing a lot of spreadsheet work I taught myself to use the trackball with my left hand and the numeric keypad with my right. I'm right handed but right now I've got a mouse on the left.
DVDdoug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 03:33 AM   #28
Bazzbass

I got this "Washington" chair and it's the best out of 4 I've owned. Perfect for playing bass and guitar as the arm rests drop to thigh level, so they don't impede when playing.

https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/...ack-jbwashchbk
Old 03-22-2019, 03:48 AM   #29
Runaway

I got a good chair from IKEA and then replaced the wheels with inline skate wheels
Old 03-23-2019, 09:19 AM   #30
chip mcdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runaway View Post
I got a good chair from IKEA and then replaced the wheels with inline skate wheels

Post a picture?

I tried attaching a car seat from a Celica to an office chair base, but it was too high. I had intentions on repurposing some old skateboard wheels and trucks, but never got around to it.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:24 AM   #31
chip mcdonald

After thinking it through I'm thinking the most ergonomic chair is going to be made the way they make Formula 1 cockpit seats.

You get a bag and fill it with expanding urethane foam. Before it sets, you sit on it how you want to be positioned. It hardens to an anatomically perfect rendition of your butt/thighs/back. Attach to chair base, cover with Alcantara.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:02 AM   #32
peter5992

I got one of these from Officemax, a few years ago, when it was on sale for about $150. Very comfortable.

https://www.officedepot.com/a/produc...rgonomic-Mesh/

If you have a bit more money to spend then the gold standard is probably still the Hermann Miller. You can sometimes find those on craigslist from companies that are going out of business.

Best thing for your back though is to not be seated too long. Get up, stand up, walk around. And exercise your back, be mindful of posture.
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 02:11 PM   #33
Kyd Kasters
Banned

I've got a few of these

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MCVDFDG...ing=UTF8&psc=1

The arms flip up and out of the way for guitar playing.
Kyd Kasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:54 AM   #34
Runaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip mcdonald View Post
Post a picture?

I tried attaching a car seat from a Celica to an office chair base, but it was too high. I had intentions on repurposing some old skateboard wheels and trucks, but never got around to it.
Apparently, IKEA use 10mm stems in their chairs but you can just drill out the stems if you want to install standard 11x22mm wheels like mine...

Just have to get used to flying wildly off down the end of the room LOL

https://www.ikeahackers.net/2016/09/...ea-chairs.html

https://www.amazon.com/SunnieDog-Off...%28Set+of+5%29
Old 03-24-2019, 11:23 PM   #35
grinder

I started off with a office chair and now have a tall wooden legged stool.
No back.

Grinder
Old 03-26-2019, 01:26 AM   #36
analogexplosions

I can't speak highly enough about the Herman Miller Mirra 2.

These things are great for LOOOOONG sessions. Super comfortable and I never have back pain after sitting for hours at a time in one. They are one of the cheapest Herman Millers made and I find them to be better than the more pricey ones.

Plus, they have a mesh seat, so farts pass through with very little resistance. (no awkward tilting to the side)

: )
Old 03-26-2019, 03:15 AM   #37
bjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogexplosions View Post
I can't speak highly enough about the Herman Miller Mirra 2.
I hope it's better than their Aeron chair, which is the most uncomfortable chair I've ever owned...I sold mine after two weeks and switched to a Steelcase Leap, which has been fantastic. The Mirra looks better than the Aeron to me.
bjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:56 AM   #38
analogexplosions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohn View Post
I hope it's better than their Aeron chair, which is the most uncomfortable chair I've ever owned...I sold mine after two weeks and switched to a Steelcase Leap, which has been fantastic. The Mirra looks better than the Aeron to me.
I have the exact same feelings about the Aeron. I hated that thing. The Mirra is completely different.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:22 AM   #39
Reason

Our company shelled out for Knoll Life chairs for everyone. They're pricey.
https://www.knoll.com/product/life

I've been using mine since 2014, so 5 years, and I find it quite comfortable.

The seat occasionally gets warmer than I'd like but nothing terrible. I sometimes find myself on the lip of the seat, but I think that's more due to poor posture/habits than the chair itself.

The arms go pretty low, about 5"/13CM above seat height. If I airguitar at work I think it would work for playing.

I'd get one for myself if I had the money.
Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 07:12 AM   #40
mccrabney

bump. anybody have strong opinions in 2020? i have been using a rolling office chair with no back as a stool, but i'm realizing that my lack of comfort is keeping me away from my computer for longer sessions.

i bought a POS chair online, but i have to return it, because it's terrible. deep regrets.

i wish i didn't have to spend close to a grand for a good chair.
mccrabney is online now   Reply With Quote