Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 03-21-2019, 01:29 PM   #1
Momo
Human being with feelings

Default Multichannel plugins not working in reaper?

Hi Reaper forum,

I have downloaded a trial of Fabfilter Pro-Q 3.
I was interested because it says that it works with almost any kind of multichannel audio.

I wanted to use it on some quad recordings, but it doesn't work for me.

The plugin stays stereo when i put it on an audio track with more channels and more channels of audio.
It says 4 in 2 out in the top right. I can route channels 3 and 4 to the plugin but then it'll mix it with 1 and 2 and send it out stereo.

It also doesn't work with 5.0 or 5.1

Am I setting my channels up wrong or doesn't Fabfilter Pro-q 3 work with Reaper?

Thanks,

Last edited by Momo; 03-21-2019 at 02:06 PM.
Momo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:47 PM   #2
mschnell

Welcome to Reaper and the Reaper forums.

This does not seem to be a "tip" or a "trick" at all, but it might be a bug report, if in fact it would not work as expected. So this would be better posted in another subforum (e.g. "Newbie").

But Reaper does support up to 64 audio channels per track, and I do believe it does work as expected. Please see the Reaper Guide or one of the great videos on how to work with audio channels.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 03-22-2019 at 06:55 AM.
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:49 AM   #3
DarkStar

If it says "4 in 2 out" in the top-right above the GUI then Pro Q3 is telling Reaper that it only has 2 output channels.
Quote:
Both the VST 2 and VST 3 versions of the plug-in automatically adapt themselves to the channel layout of the track they are inserted on (mono/stereo and surround).
Maybe you need to create the additional channels on the track first and then insert Pro Q3.

https://www.fabfilter.com/help/pro-q/using/surround
Old 03-22-2019, 09:41 AM   #4
RobinGShore

Are you using the VST2 version or the VST3 version of ProQ3? I can't get the VST2 version to output anything but stereo, but the VST3 version works fine as a multichannel plugin. It should automatically adapt to the number of channels on the track, but if that's not working you can right click the box in the top corner of the plugin window that shows the number of ins and outs, and use the submenu labeled "Request VST3 bus channel count" to force the plugin to use a specific number of channels.
RobinGShore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:33 AM   #5
Momo

RobinGShore's reply works!

I was indeed not using the VST3 format.
Thank you!!
Momo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 06:43 PM   #6
Grendel

This is the closet I’ve come to what I’m looking for. If I use this and select mono, is there anything else I need to do? I have a vocal I want to use BX Console E on. I’m following the above steps and selecting mono. The audio is affected, but when I hit mute, I hear audio in the right speaker. Do I need to change anything else?
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 09:42 PM   #7
Jeaper

Default VPS Avenger's Multichannel Routing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinGShore View Post
Are you using the VST2 version or the VST3 version of ProQ3? I can't get the VST2 version to output anything but stereo, but the VST3 version works fine as a multichannel plugin. It should automatically adapt to the number of channels on the track, but if that's not working you can right click the box in the top corner of the plugin window that shows the number of ins and outs, and use the submenu labeled "Request VST3 bus channel count" to force the plugin to use a specific number of channels.
Thank you for your advice, it turned out useful for Avenger too, as I was trying to route the drum tracks within it to separate tracks in Reaper for better mixing control. For anyone wondering how to make it work: 1-) Right click the green "FX" button on the track to which Avenger has been added 2-) Right click the Avenger vst next to the checked box 3-) Choose "Build multichannel routing for output of selected FX" 4-) Go to the "Drums" section of the mixer inside Avenger and select the corresponding "Aux" for each one of the drum kit tracks, Aux [BD] for the BD track, for example. 5-) As previously suggested "right click the box in the top corner of the plugin window that shows the number of ins and outs, and use the submenu labeled "Request VST3 bus channel count" to force the plugin to use a specific number of channels." You can opt for the "mono" option. And that's it, you should be able to hear the whole synth part (when working with any of the expansions' sequences, for instance) in one track and each one of the drum instruments in other separate ones.
Jeaper is offline   Reply With Quote