Old 08-08-2018, 10:57 AM   #121
Edgemeal
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
but wonder if this can be used without having to select an item to carry the automation?
can i copy an area of automation only with this method?
Nope, at least I couldn't make it do that.

BTW, Not sure Kenny mentioned it in his video but the solution he showed also only works when "envelope points move with media items" is enabled.
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:04 AM   #122
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
Nope, at least I couldn't make it do that.

BTW, Not sure Kenny mentioned it in his video but the solution he showed also only works when "envelope points move with media items" is enabled.
He mentions somewhere i think. But so this is problematic for at least the reasons i told!
Thank you anyway
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:12 AM   #123
Edgemeal

Quote:
He mentions somewhere i think. But so this is problematic for at least the reasons i told!
Thank you anyway
Good to know, I figured there was some gothcha, My projects are very small so if I ever run into that I'll just add an empty midi item to the track or something first LOL!
Old 08-08-2018, 11:17 AM   #124
deeb

Quote:
Good to know, I figured there was some gothcha, My projects are very small so if I ever run into that I'll just add an empty midi item to the track or something first LOL!
yes of course! : ) but this wont work in example: paste automation to other present items or easily becomes an hassled workaround if used more then a few times per project. Imagine thousands of times ... like i am used to in other DAWs. This is my editing knife : ) really ! ... well it is not in reaper as I am using just the fork.

Last edited by deeb; 08-08-2018 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:12 PM   #125
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
You guys ever get in that crazy mood where you want to duplicate sections of your project without destroying parts of your central nervous system in the process?
Nah, I stay pretty calm when duplicating stuff.

I do roll my eyes at some bugs and missing FRs, but I just use a workaround and carry on.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:27 PM   #126
juliansader

Quote:
This is also what I do. "Insert empty items" is pretty much my workflow's equivalent to (a basic version of) "Area select".

Old 08-08-2018, 01:02 PM   #127
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
This is also what I do. "Insert empty items" is pretty much my workflow's equivalent to (a basic version of) "Area select".
I presume you use this very few times per project, otherwise you wouldn't call it even "basic area selection"

Also I repeat:
Quote:
this wont work in example: paste automation to other present items
Also
Quote:
easily becomes an hassled workaround if used more then a few times per project. Imagine thousands of times ... like i am used to in other DAWs. This is my editing knife : ) really ! ... well it is not in reaper as I am using just the fork.
also
Quote:
empty (carrying/dummy) items does not make sense to exist at all in some scenarios, like in example: automation on send effects or delays feedback with other automations
Also, As curiosity, Ask yourself how many minutes you would take to make what is being done in 1 minute in the range selection video i posted?
if you could and very motivated to do so probably half an hour (or probably much more i would say ) with your head spinning after doing so.

Last edited by deeb; 08-08-2018 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:12 PM   #128
Edgemeal

What about this script?

Script: js_Area selection - Duplicate items and automation in time selection of selected tracks to edit cursor.lua
Old 08-08-2018, 01:20 PM   #129
deeb

Quote:
What about this script?

Script: js_Area selection - Duplicate items and automation in time selection of selected tracks to edit cursor.lua
Edgemel! : ) this as been deeply discussed already in this thread (if your curious to read)
No solution ! edit: i mean there is always solution, but i mean: no simple hassle free solution! what we have is a spaghetti of alternatives and methods dependent of many different situations which are a nightmare to use flowy.
If you haven't done so! please Check the video about range selection in cubase i posted earlier!

Last edited by deeb; 08-08-2018 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:34 PM   #130
juliansader

Quote:
Also, As curiosity, Ask yourself how many minutes you would take to make what is being done in 1 minute in the range selection video i posted?
if you could and very motivated to do so probably half an hour (or probably much more i would say ) with your head spinning after doing so.
Are you referring to this video: https://streamable.com/7nrby?

The stuff that you do in the video is exactly what Automation Items are intended for. It will take me only 1 minute too.

Quote:
empty (carrying/dummy) items does not make sense to exist at all in some scenarios, like in example: automation on send effects or delays feedback with other automations
this wont work in example: paste automation to other present items
I do not quite understand - could you elaborate please?
Old 08-08-2018, 01:43 PM   #131
deeb

Quote:
Are you referring to this video: https://streamable.com/7nrby?
yes

Quote:
The stuff that you do in the video is exactly what Automation Items are intended for.
No. Automation have their benefits but they were maded to be automation items, and used when they are useful! they weren't ment to copy paste automations ! right? they can be used as a workaround, but it should not be their purpose.

Quote:
The stuff that you do in the video ... It will take me only 1 minute too.
I doubt but probably you are right! but The video is focused on how it works only. I's not a real scenario. It's a virtual machine with no sound. And It's not focused on trying to show reaper headache scenarios.
Still, i very doubt you could take the same time, even with some pre maded/ pre pared scripts for your 1 minute task.
But I am absolutely sure you wouldn't have so much joy, spontaneity and breath in that minute!

Quote:
I do not quite understand - could you elaborate please?
"Empty (carrying/dummy) items does not make sense to exist at all in some scenarios"

example 1:
Drum parallel track:
Drum track:
Job: i want to duplicate automation in parallel track

example 2:
Drum track: filtered delay with long feedback
Job:i want to copy automation when there is no item, and feed back is playing

"this wont work in example: paste automation to other present items"

Example:
Track with itemA at 1 and ItemB at 2, each 1 bar length
Job: I want to copy pan automation from itemA into itemB pan automation

Last edited by deeb; 08-08-2018 at 09:57 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 03:31 AM   #132
juliansader

Quote:
Automation have their benefits but they were maded to be automation items, and used when they are useful! they weren't ment to copy paste automations ! right? they can be used as a workaround, but it should not be their purpose.
Copying/moving automation was one of AIs main purposes from the very beginning.

Quote:
Still, i very doubt you could take the same time, even with some pre maded/ pre pared scripts for your 1 minute task.
But I am absolutely sure you wouldn't have so much joy, spontaneity and breath in that minute!
I don't need any scripts for using AIs for the actions that you do in the video. But you don't need to doubt and wonder - just try it out yourself!

Quote:
example 1:
Drum parallel track:
Drum track:
Job: i want to duplicate automation in parallel track

example 2:
Drum track: filtered delay with long feedback
Job:i want to copy automation when there is no item, and feed back is playing

"this wont work in example: paste automation to other present items"

Example:
Track with itemA at 1 and ItemB at 2, each 1 bar length
Job: I want to copy pan automation from itemA into itemB pan automation
All of these appear very easy to do, but perhaps I don't understand these examples correctly. Could you perhaps make a GIF?
Old 08-09-2018, 08:17 AM   #133
Edgemeal

Quote:
Edgemel! : ) this as been deeply discussed already in this thread (if your curious to read)
OK sorry. Best of luck! Unsub'd.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:44 AM   #134
deeb

Quote:
Best of luck!
Thanks ! i need patience too!
Old 08-09-2018, 12:46 PM   #135
vanhaze

@ deeb:

Just wanted to give you a headsup; I am totally with you man, i understand you frustration totally.

Me also find it so hard to believe that a simple straightforward copy-paste of everything selected in Arrange is (still) not natively possible in Reaper.

Dreaming of an official Cockos response to this big issue for many people (i think i am obliged to speak for many others that come from other DAWs that are used to this straightforward 'copy all selected'-'paste all selected')
Old 08-09-2018, 01:46 PM   #136
deeb

Hey Devs and community!
Juliansader deleted my last post about this subject! in which he was being quoted and left with no arguments.
This is extremely serious and worrying behaviour from juliansader in my point of view and I think i have the right to ear explanations from a reasonable moderator and my post back.

Also It is not the first time he does so! i can't know how many times he did this tho.
i repeat: I think i have the right to ear explanations from a reasonable moderator and my post back.
And i don't trust him as a moderator of this forums and being able to access and manage my posts and eventually my personal data.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:50 PM   #137
juliansader

Quote:
Hey Devs and community!
Juliansader deleted my last post about this subject! in which he was being quoted and left with no arguments.
This is extremely serious and worrying behaviour from juliansader in my point of view and I think i have the right to ear explanations from a reasonable moderator and my post back.

Also It is not the first time he does so! i can't know how many times he did this tho.
i repeat: I think i have the right to ear explanations from a reasonable moderator and my post back.
And i don't trust him as a moderator of this forums and access and manage my posts and eventually my personal data.
I deleted your post since it degenerated into personal insults.

AFAIK, the only other post of yours that I have touched, was a thread that I moved from the Pre-Release forum to the more appropriate Feature Request forum.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:11 PM   #138
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Does anyone have a video of what this issue is? Since automation items, I can copy and paste my automation sections, its really handy for pulsing gating type fx for me
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 02:12 PM   #139
deeb

Quote:
I deleted your post since it degenerated into personal insults.

AFAIK, the only other post of yours that I have touched, was a thread that I moved from the Pre-Release forum to the more appropriate Feature Request forum.

i don't trust your criteria and behaviour! There was no personal attacks just point of views.

@devs and mods: I think i have the right of having explanations from a reasonable moderator and my post back.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:19 PM   #140
_Stevie_

Quote:
i don't trust your criteria and behaviour! There was no personal attacks just point of views.

@devs and mods: I think i have the right of having explanations from a reasonable moderator and my post back.
This might sound intimidating, but actually, in forums, you have no rights at all. Being a forum member is a privilege, not a right.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:20 PM   #141
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
This might sound intimidating, but actually, in forums, you have no rights at all. Being a forum member is a privilege, not a right.
What? that sounds bizarre! sorry
Old 08-09-2018, 02:28 PM   #142
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
What? that sounds bizarre! sorry
It's not, Mr. Jones.
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 02:29 PM   #143
EvilDragon

It's in the forum rules:

"The owners of Cockos Incorporated Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason."

Don't like it? Feel free to leave at any time. But all forums have a similar rule.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 02:33 PM   #144
Tod

Quote:
Yep.....
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 02:39 PM   #145
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
It's in the forum rules:

"The owners of Cockos Incorporated Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason."
LOL!
i didn't say they don't have the right to do whatever they want to.
I have the right to not agree with decisions maded by 1 of the moderators and ask for an explanation that i think i have the right!

Justin or schawa are not forced to do anything (in general), but since they are reasonable persons unlike you and juliansader and puppy Stevie, i think that maybe i have a chance they kindly understand my request.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post

Don't like it? Feel free to leave at any time. But all forums have a similar rule.
i do like! i just don't like puppys!
Old 08-09-2018, 02:42 PM   #146
Lokasenna

Quote:
I have the right to not agree with decisions maded by 1 of the moderators and ask for an explanation that i think i have the right!
I don't see that in the forum rules.

And you did get an explanation.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:44 PM   #147
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
I don't see that in the forum rules.

And you did get an explanation.
i have the right to think whatever i want! needs to be in rules?
and i can ask explanation to another moderator which is not envolved and that i might trust. Needs to be rules?
Old 08-09-2018, 02:48 PM   #148
Lokasenna

You actually have no rights here. None of us do. If Justin woke up tomorrow and decided he hates my username, he could ban me and there's not a hell of a lot I could do about it.

You are, always, welcome to *ask* for an explanation, and you got one. You do not have the right to an explanation that satisfies you.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:53 PM   #149
deeb

Quote:
You actually have no rights here. None of us do. If Justin woke up tomorrow and decided he hates my username, he could ban me and there's not a hell of a lot I could do about it.

You are, always, welcome to *ask* for an explanation, and you got one. You do not have the right to an explanation that satisfies you.
but What does this have to do with what i am talking?
Old 08-09-2018, 02:58 PM   #150
Lokasenna

You might get a better response by PMing one of them - very politely. Posting here to complain about it AND starting your own thread about it is very rude.
Old 08-09-2018, 03:05 PM   #151
deeb

Quote:
You might get a better response by PMing one of them - very politely. Posting here to complain about it AND starting your own thread about it is very rude.
i never had a private message answered by them! i have posted in general for them to read.
Maybe Rude , is on your eyes , can you see that? i was arguing about a topic, answering and quoting juliansader. And he did delete my post because he din't like the answer. Where is my rudeness?
Old 08-09-2018, 03:09 PM   #152
_Stevie_

Calling other forum members "puppies" is rude to me...
And this is not the first time. In the Cubase thread, you showed similar behaviour. Maybe you didn't notice it yet, but you come across as extremely audacious.
Old 08-09-2018, 03:17 PM   #153
deeb

Quote:
Calling other forum members "puppies" is rude to me...
And this is not the first time. In the Cubase thread, you showed similar behaviour. Maybe you didn't notice it yet, but you come across as extremely audacious.
i can understand that! but if you look at the thread you mention, you accused me of being hostile after juliansader really hostile comment. Until your comment i was arguing with facts or opinions.
And i call that a puppy that wants the owner to send them a bone! (or ass kisser).

Surprisingly or not, in this thread you did exactly the same. You started accusing me after i have manifested that julian made an incorrect behaviour and i was asking for reasonable moderation.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:30 PM   #154
_Stevie_

Quote:
i can understand that! but if you look at the thread you mention, you accused me of being hostile after juliansader really hostile comment. Until your comment i was arguing with facts or opinions.

Surprisingly or not, in this thread you did exactly the same. You started accusing me after i have manifested that julian made an incorrect behaviour and i was asking for reasonable moderation.
That's actually not true. I was referring to you and Bri1
To quote myself:

Quote:
deeb and Bri1, why this has to escalate so hard? Can't we just have a good time and help each other? This hostile level of discussion doesn't help anyone.

Take a break, go outside for a while and enjoy the sun!

Quote:
And i call that a puppy that wants the owner to send them a bone! (or ass kisser).
And there you go, you just can't stop insulting...
Old 08-09-2018, 04:48 PM   #155
deeb

Quote:
That's actually not true. I was referring to you and Bri1
so if you acuse me and bri1, i am not included? what is false here?

Quote:
And there you go, you just can't stop insulting...
i have something to fix in my self, which is don't get "kind of hungry" online with provocative comments and insinuations and behaviours which i absolutely find unfair or that show puppy stigma or discussing with recursive rock minded people with no fundament.

edit: Anyway! i reflected a bit and i would like to say that please don't think i am taking anything personal to anyone! it's just a few lines of arguments and statements, that we desagree, and a few virtual behaviours, plus an "aura" that we imagine/create from each other. This is very nothing : )
We share manny passions including this places and reaper, so it is easy to be emotional but please do not take it as really personal thing, as from my side i would probably love to hang out with you all!

Last edited by deeb; 08-09-2018 at 08:29 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:40 PM   #156
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
i never had a private message answered by them!
Pretty sure I've answered every PM I've ever gotten. Or if its above my head I forward it to the relevant party
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:44 PM   #157
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
ohh no no sorry for missleading! i ment devs!
Old 08-10-2018, 06:49 AM   #158
ferropop

4 page thread on Copy Paste lol.
ferropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:07 AM   #159
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
4 page thread on Copy Paste lol.
you "fire" the place on thursday, and then go to the party in the urban area, and come back after the weekend. In other words, .. you fire and i spend my time with arguments.
4 pages of nothing in the end. : (
Old 08-10-2018, 08:57 AM   #160
ferropop

Quote:
you "fire" the place on thursday, and then go to the party in the urban area, and come back after the weekend. In other words, .. you fire and i spend my time with arguments.
4 pages of nothing in the end. : (
Sucks Deeb, I know we both want the same thing. All I can do is keep bringing up how ridiculous it is that this doesn't exist yet. And yes, it is ridiculous! There is no argument against this, it isn't a pet feature, it isn't ungrateful bitching, we are talking X-Y Copy and Paste on an X-Y Grid not existing in 2018.

IMAGINE in Excel if you could only copy COLUMNS reliably lol.

Juliansader we appreciate the workarounds, but this is like telling professional carpenters that aren't able to use a saw and glue, to instead use a fork and bubblegum.
ferropop is offline   Reply With Quote