Old 01-17-2021, 08:33 AM   #1
for
Human being with feelings

Default carpal tunnel syndrome?

as ridiculous it sounds i've been practicing drums by air drumming last weeks

few days ago i felt the effects of carpel tunnel syndrome on my right hand, well at least i think its what it is, i feel some numbness on my right hand palm.....so I'm giving it some rest now

its just small numbness currently but it surely worried me a bit, i can move the hand but i can feel the numbness still, its only been 2 days that i stopped, and won't do that again of course

just seeing if anyone has/had experience with this

can only give it rest now

thanks!
for is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 10:15 AM   #2
b2001

I haven’t had that problem; however, I only play air guitar...😳
b2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 11:36 AM   #3
ivansc

I am old & been playing seriously since I was ten years old. I now have horrible arthritis in both hands (as well as other places) & also had metacarpal tunnel problems, also known as trigger finger about 20 years ago, which I have under control.
The only things apart from anti-inflammatory and pain drugs I have found help are not the greatest thing in the world for you, health-wise in general. you can help yourself by reading up on warmup exercises, which have helped me a lot.
Sadly at 76 I am beginning to think I am on my last lap as a player. Experience and sleight of hand can only cover up so many things you can no longer do.

Good luck!
Old 01-17-2021, 12:40 PM   #4
for

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
I am old & been playing seriously since I was ten years old. I now have horrible arthritis in both hands (as well as other places) & also had metacarpal tunnel problems, also known as trigger finger about 20 years ago, which I have under control.
The only things apart from anti-inflammatory and pain drugs I have found help are not the greatest thing in the world for you, health-wise in general. you can help yourself by reading up on warmup exercises, which have helped me a lot.
Sadly at 76 I am beginning to think I am on my last lap as a player. Experience and sleight of hand can only cover up so many things you can no longer do.

Good luck!
i see......will surely cut down on fast stuff i think for time being

thanks ivansc
Old 01-17-2021, 12:55 PM   #5
bjohn

Sorry to hear you're having this problem. Carpal tunnel syndrome is actually one of the less common repetitive strain injuries; I have thoracic outlet syndrome which is much more prevalent--I got mine from using the mouse on my computer. Symptoms are numbness in the ring finger and pinky (and sometimes the whole hand), but the actual effect is happening in the shoulder, not the hand or wrist. It required several years of physical and massage therapy to get my symptoms under control, but like most repetitive strain injuries it's permanent: you just have to avoid activities that make it flare up.

If it continues, you should see a doctor.
bjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 01:13 PM   #6
Winfield

I got it from working with a mouse - and it flares up if I use a mouse for a day or so. I keep it in check with a digitizer pen and this:
https://www.contourdesign.com/product/rollermouse-pro3/
(and occasional massage therapy)

-W
Winfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 01:25 PM   #7
for

actually i thing i started feeling this weird feeling from the mouse too...but with this air drumming thing my wrist had a lot of movement i think that ignited the issue

thanks guys for your responses
Old 01-17-2021, 03:40 PM   #8
nait

Carpal tunnel is something that can definitely be tested by a doc (as well as potentially be permanently fixed). My mom had carpal tunnel surgery done decades ago and hasn't had problems since. It could be that, but there's also a good chance it is something else. It is pretty easy to overwork the muscles in our hands. As a guy that works on a computer a lot, I'll get problems frequently. I also play guitar and play hockey and both can really cause me some real hand/wrist problems. Like Ivan, I also have issues with trigger finger.. I'm only 46 though, but I feel like I'm 96 sometimes haha.

I think exercises are probably your best friend here, to build up some strength in your hand. Outside of that, take breaks. That's always the tough part though cause when inspiration hits, it's hard to say "I should break now"!
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Focusrite Scarlett Solo, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.https://soundcloud.com/nullref
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 04:05 PM   #9
Leo777

I read that vitamin B6 is often used as a conservative and adjunct therapy in the treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome (though its effectiveness is controversial). Many people attempt to treat their symptoms with vitamin B6 on their own. I personally wouldn't do it without a prescription. I took this vitamin some time ago and checked the info about it. According to the Canadian pharmacy, it has side effects and contraindications.

Last edited by Leo777; 03-31-2021 at 06:26 AM.
Leo777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 05:42 PM   #10
nicholas
Scribe

Hi for ....

Check with your doctor that it is cts that you have. If so, I bring you good news!

I had really bad carpal tunnel syndrome in my right hand, as a result of which I went under the knife for corrective surgery last October. I'd previously tried wrist splints, cortisone injections, etc, but with no ongoing relief.

It was a simple procedure, an incision of about an inch long near the base of the hand, then to clean up whatever is causing the pressure/blockage. Whole thing took about 20 minutes.

I was put under a general anaesthetic, but some surgeons prefer local.

I was released from hospital same day. Within a couple of weeks I was using the hand again for simple tasks. More subtle hand functions (like threading a needle) take longer to return - but I bet there's not much subtle about your drumming! (Statutory drummer joke! )

My right hand is now as good as new. All in all, you have nothing to fear!

Any more questions, ask away.

Last edited by nicholas; 03-30-2021 at 08:21 PM.
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 07:02 PM   #11
Philbo King

Some yoga-based stretches I found very helpful:

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...6&postcount=27
Philbo King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 02:15 PM   #12
Rhonin

Default try playing realy really slow

i dunno , ive been dealing with it pretty bad for over 15 yrs now
i do a lot of excercises but it only manages the situation
i have to be very careful how i play
or the pick goes flying accross the room

it doesnt affect me playing bass or fingerstyle
so i try to work on those things
Rhonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 02:19 PM   #13
vitalker

Use vertical mouse instead of a horizontal one.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 02:47 PM   #14
ivansc

I already alternate between upright and regular mice & it does help.
However several other old farts in my family have been suggesting I try homeopathic Turmeric tablets. Took my first one today & am hopeful.
I bought a year`s supply for a mere 6 UK pounds.
Old 03-31-2021, 02:57 PM   #15
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
I already alternate between upright and regular mice & it does help.
For a regular one there is a mousepad with a silicone gel.

vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 04:13 PM   #16
Rhonin

Default before this thread disappers

does anyone know of a non-surgical way to deal w carpel tunnel in the picking wrist. it is really impossible to strum a guitar
Rhonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:27 PM   #17
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonin View Post
does anyone know of a non-surgical way to deal w carpel tunnel in the picking wrist. it is really impossible to strum a guitar
It really depends on how bad it has become, how far it has developed. If it's not so far advanced, targeted exercises, ice packs, wrist splints, NDAIDs such as ibuprofen or a corticosteroid injection ... any of these might be able to help you.

In my case, surgery ultimately became the only realistic option. Obviously I can't give you medical advice, only to say that in my case the procedure was simple and effective, and that the success rate for this surgery is high.

The best thing you can do is to see your doctor.
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 12:38 PM   #18
Leo777

Just talked to my friend who started experiencing tiredness and numbness in his hand several weeks ago. He addressed a doctor and was told that usually carpal tunnel syndrome gets cured and doesn't come back. The doctor recommended improving and avoiding positions that overextend his wrist. Speaking about pain, my friend is currently taking cbd terpenes and it works great for him.

Last edited by Leo777; 04-26-2021 at 03:39 AM.
Leo777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 03:00 AM   #19
SFChuckLogan

Default Carpet Tunnel . . Yes that was on purpose

I had it in both hands. Because of a knife injury to my right hand they did the carpel tunnel release during the hand muscle repair.\

4 years later I could not even put my left hand on my KTM handle bar without the hand going totally numb within 3 seconds. I finally got the left had fixed, (surgery) I was awake that time I would not recommend that unless you have a very good dock.

Well despite the unpleasant procedure the left has only about 5% of the time any negligible numbness. If you play guitar, find a good hand doctor and get the tendon pressure released . . its not really not a huge surgery . . I would do it again no hesitation

Plus the longer you wait you could has some residual numbness because of the nerve damage if you let it go on for 10 years . .
SFChuckLogan is offline   Reply With Quote