COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 02-19-2009, 07:53 AM   #1
mlleopard
Human being with feelings

Default ...and disaster struck

I believe I have committed the unpardonable sin and deleted a book narration I have been working on for 3 days (1 day recording and two days editing. I finished it late last night and rendered it over night. This morning I went to look to see if the render was fine. It appeared short for some reason, only 21 minutes instead of 58 minutes in the MP3 files. It played file but the file went to the end of the track and just stayed there at 21 minutes but the audio continued. A suspected somewhat was wrong. I checked reaper and it was there to rerender. So I went back to the MP3 files and DELETED the MP3 rendered version which was not correct and the 4 other small files reaper leaves along with it, a small project file, it's backup and, another small project files (called mp3) and it's backup, also with a mp3 extension.

When I went back to reaper to re-render the file. It was gone. I am going ballistic. Am I a wanker or what? I've looked everywhere. Is there another large backup file somewhere I can recoverer this from or not? At the beginning of the MP3 rendered files there are tons of numbered files, no names, but they are all short files. Normally, I will back up the files to a cd or dvd, after I have rendered them. Any thoughts...or could someone just kick me in the butt. Mitch Leopard/Atlanta
Old 02-19-2009, 08:07 AM   #2
stupeT

Did you already have a look into your recycle bin of windows?
Old 02-19-2009, 08:41 AM   #3
iamamonkeysoareyou

There are some programs that can restore deleted stuff even after recycle bin has been emptied....I made a mistake of Shift-Deleting (bypasses the recycle bin) once, paniced and remembered I had a program that undeletes it. Not sure whats it called. Will check when i get back home.

-monkey-

Gear: AMD Athlon 3200 / M-Audio Oxygen 64 / Line6 POD Studio UX1 / M-Audio Studiophine AV40 / Korg PadKONTROL / Novation Nocturn / Ibanez Universe UV777 / Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus / REAPER!!!!!!
Old 02-19-2009, 09:00 AM   #4
mlleopard

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupeT View Post
Did you already have a look into your recycle bin of windows?
Yes, there is nothing in the recycle bin.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:39 PM   #5
KBug

Use this software:

http://www.officerecovery.com/freeundelete/

Try if possible to download it to a Pen Drive and install it and run it from there. Hope it helps...

Fallo aka KBug
Old 02-19-2009, 12:40 PM   #6
Jae.Thomas

sdont do ANYTHING to that drive besides finding a decent recovery software, installing it to a DIFFERENT drive and then running it on that drive, hopefully finding the mp3 in some form.

recover4all is good
Old 02-22-2009, 09:27 PM   #7
nrm

Assuming you have Vista and haven't disable it's features too much, you can right click the folder you know the deleted file is in and select "Restore previous versions"..
Old 02-24-2009, 02:15 PM   #8
hux

that free undelete utility is really good. You might want to also consider some sort of backup utility like this one:

www.sugarsync.com

you point it to a folder, it automagically backs up anything in it if it's changed immediately. Saved my hide several times. I guess you'd want to shut it down while recording or doing destructive editing, then fire it up as soon as yer done.

Good luck.