twistedbluesstudios
Human being with feelings

Default XP64 or Vista?

Windows XP64 or Vista for reaper 64?
twistedbluesstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:56 AM   #2
Bubbagump

XP32, no point to 64 bit unless you are willing to take the hit of not being able to run 95% of the VSTs out there.
Bubbagump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:04 AM   #3
twistedbluesstudios

I was thinking with the new kontakt update for 64 that it may be worth it?
Cant you run most vsts in 64?
twistedbluesstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:10 AM   #4
Diogenes

Dunno about Kontakt? Sorry... However, I'm on XP32 and liable to be here for a WHILE. My Vista experiences thus far have been totally unfavorable. Both personal use and at work. HATE IT! Of course, YMMV, IMO, blah, blah...)

D
Diogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:16 AM   #5
Jae.Thomas

if you have more than 4 gigs, go 64 bit, and vista is probably the way to go.

you can run any plugin you wish, if you are running a 32 bit version of reaper. And 32 bit apps work great under vista. Ive had no issues with plugins not working in vista64, and not only that, most programs work just fine under vista as well.

you might ask why would you bother running vista 64 with 8 gigs RAM as i do when reaper will only be able to use 4? Well, the other 4 can be used for the operating system, and not to mention other apps that could be rewired into reaper, or external editors, the list goes on.

as far as vista, i have had no problems running it.
i can turn off the prettiness if i want, but theres no need here. It runs flawlessly. Actually, it runs better than my XP setup...

either way, it has been completely beneficial on my system, check the specs of my system below.
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:42 AM   #6
kenzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post

you can run any plugin you wish, if you are running a 32 bit version of reaper. And 32 bit apps work great under vista. Ive had no issues with plugins not working in vista64, and not only that, most programs work just fine under vista as well.

you might ask why would you bother running vista 64 with 8 gigs RAM as i do when reaper will only be able to use 4? Well, the other 4 can be used for the operating system, and not to mention other apps that could be rewired into reaper, or external editors, the list goes on.

as far as vista, i have had no problems running it.
i can turn off the prettiness if i want, but theres no need here. It runs flawlessly. Actually, it runs better than my XP setup...

either way, it has been completely beneficial on my system, check the specs of my system below.
+1

I have Vista on four machines: one high-end and one average desktop on Ultimate 32-bit; one low-end desktop and a very low-end four-year-old laptop on Home Premium 32-bit.

All four machines run flawlessly under Vista. Reaper is running on the high-end desktop with 4GB of RAM.

If someone is happy with XP, I wouldn't advise them to spend more money or take unnecessary risks by changing their OS, but I also wouldn't hesitate to recommend Vista for a new OS purchase. BTW, Microsoft has a useful compatibility tool that will warn you if you have hardware or software (usually older, not-well-supported stuff) that is known to have issues with Vista.
kenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:20 AM   #7
bullshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post

you can run any plugin you wish, if you are running a 32 bit version of reaper.
But why not run the 64bits version of Reaper? Wouldn't it be able to address all 8 GBs of available ram? or would 32 bits plugins not work with it?
bullshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:56 AM   #8
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullshark View Post
But why not run the 64bits version of Reaper? Wouldn't it be able to address all 8 GBs of available ram? or would 32 bits plugins not work with it?
yup, at this point reaper does not have a "bit bridge" like sonar, so 32 bit plugs wont work.
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:22 PM   #9
357mag

I'm on XP64 and Reaper plus my plugs work great. So does EZ Drummer. No issues. Vista kinda has a bad reputation and many people have cursed the operating system up and down. But like everything else in life, different people have different experiences with products. Although most of what people have posted about their DAW on Vista have been negative, some people report positive experiences with Vista.

I would advise sticking with XP and then when the time comes to switch, go directly to Windows 7 and bypass Vista. I believe Microsoft intends to make Windows 7 less resource hungry than Vista.
357mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:00 PM   #10
teejb43

I have a similar setup to JBM, running Vista 64. My 32 bit Reaper runs like a charm (along with all the other X86 stuff I have installed on here), and I'm tickled at the performance. All the plugs I have work on here as well. Just my $.02.
teejb43 is offline   Reply With Quote