Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 09-12-2018, 08:06 AM   #41
karbomusic
Human being with feelings

Still looking for these results unless I missed them. I've numbered and condensed to make it easy. I know you had the checkbox I mentioned already checked but still need the results of the following with it checked...

Quote:

1: Once checked, minimize reaper but don't close or exit reaper. Now try to use your browser or whatever you usually use that needs the soundcard and see if it now works and report back with the results.

2: ... after completing the test above, close/exit reaper, then open task manager (CTRL+ALT+DELETE > Task Manager) and make sure Reaper.exe isn't still running even though you think it is closed
Old 09-12-2018, 11:27 AM   #42
sjs94704

Good News! I think (And I use the word 'think' cautiously) ...

I ended up calling Behringer Tech Help back and they confirmed that the issue was indeed not a Behringer driver issue.

They offered me the correct phone number for Microsoft Tech Help so I just got off the phone with them. They did a remote session with me and after doing some investigation in simple terms the issue was not isolated to just sound. It ended up being a combination of both sound AND video driver conflicts that was preventing anything dealing with either sound or video from running once I closed Reaper.

And, just for s**ts and giggles, I opened Reaper and one of my current projects. I played the music for the project for a moment or two. Then, leaving Reaper right where it was when I stopped playing the project, I attempted to open Chrome web browser and YouTube and was able to play a video. And the video loaded up right away just like it should normally.

I will be cautiously optimistic that this issue has now been solved. I guess you could also say that the fact that they have a flat fee of $49 for this incident that covers it for 30 days, meaning if it happens again I can call them back and give them my case number and they will continue to work on it at no additional charge.

They did not push very hard on this, but, they did say that one of my tech help options was for $149 for one year for one computer that would cover whatever I need in that one year period.

So, if by Friday of next week things are still working good then I can be reasonably confident that the issue is finally fixed!

Hallelujah!
Old 05-06-2023, 08:56 AM   #43
Quest The Wordsmith

Just want to post in case anyone comes from an internet search...

I, too, was having issues with Reaper hijacking my sound card. Even if I stopped playback on Reaper and switched to Chrome and tried to resume playing a YouTube video, the video would spin.

TL;DR - I had to do 2 things:
1. Disabled all other audio devices on my system (and keep it that way).
2. Ensure that Reaper and Windows were both using the same sample rate.

My Reaper settings were for 24-bit, 88.2k
My Windows 10 settings were for 24-bit, 44.1k
That was causing the problem!

Once I did the above 2 steps everything worked. I did not need to enable Reaper's option "Close audio settings when stopped and application is inactive". Your mileage may vary, but just posting what worked for me!

Windows 10 Home
Reaper 6.79
Mackie Onyx 1620 (the older Onyx, not the i-series) with the Firewire card
Mackie driver for anyone interested.