Old 12-06-2007, 05:42 AM   #1
khol
Human being with feelings

Default $50

Hi,
I think i like this program and would like to pay for REAPER.
However, im not a professional musician or producer. Im just using it at home, playing with it etc. Making a few mp3's etc.

So i guess the $50 licence is what i need? Correct?

A few questions tho.

* Are there any differences in functionality between the $50 licence and the more expensive one?

* If i buy the $50 licence... im i also paying for future updates? versions?

regards,
K
khol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 05:48 AM   #2
earlabs

hi Khoi

please take a look here:
http://www.cockos.com/reaper/purchase.php

afaik there are no differences. It's all based on the notion of a 'fair price'. If you start making (big) money (as a pro or semi-pro) while using Reaper it is only fair that you pay for it like a pro.

If you use the stuff for your own pleasure then just pay this (really small) sum and consider yourself lucky to be a registered Reaper user! )
Old 12-06-2007, 06:06 AM   #3
jakerock

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlabs View Post
If you start making (big) money
If you start making (any) money.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:23 AM   #4
earlabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakerock View Post
If you start making (any) money.
Well, I have been remastering a CD from a friend with the aid of (among others) Reaper. He pays me with a couple of his discs. He himself will probably get nothing from it (edition of 150 copies of experimental electronic music). I could sell the discs and get (some) money.

There has been another thread recently discussing this, but I didn't post there. ( http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15589 )My personal ethical border is that when I earn more than $175 within a year through the use of Reaper I will gladly pay the extra license fee.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:20 AM   #5
BoxOfSnoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by khol View Post
* If i buy the $50 licence... im i also paying for future updates? versions?
Yes and no. You get everything labeled 2.0 - 2.999. Once it turns 3.0 you need to upgrade.

However, Cockos puts out lots of point releases with loads of functionality, so don't worry about the 3.0 thing.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:45 AM   #6
Alex Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxOfSnoo View Post
Yes and no. You get everything labeled 2.0 - 2.999. Once it turns 3.0 you need to upgrade.

However, Cockos puts out lots of point releases with loads of functionality, so don't worry about the 3.0 thing.
And it is, after all, just a number, lol.

Bit like 'summing' really....

Old 12-06-2007, 08:20 AM   #7
Debby747

Default no difference between com and non-com version

With REAPER I am a first class customer!
And you are, too

For the first time in my life, I don't feel like belonging to an inferior,
less supported user-community just because I don't have enough money for a less restricted "pro" version.

In every other application I know the price is bundled with features. Which I can understand.
With Cockos the price solely depends on YOU-
and that's so cool!!

I hope that paradigm never changes.
Greetings,
D.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:28 AM   #8
volt

Quote:

no no, far better!

"Purchasing a license for REAPER v2.x entitles the user to use, on one computer at a time, past and future versions of REAPER up to and including v3.99."
volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 08:45 AM   #9
susbemol

Quote:
Originally Posted by volt View Post
no no, far better!
"Purchasing a license for REAPER v2.x entitles the user to use, on one computer at a time, past and future versions of REAPER up to and including v3.99."
WOW! So that has been recently updated as well! (upgraded?!?!)
susbemol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 10:19 AM   #10
jakerock

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlabs View Post
My personal ethical border is that when I earn more than $175 within a year through the use of Reaper I will gladly pay the extra license fee.
Everyone's ethics are their own personal bag, but Cockos is pretty clear about their definition of 'commercial use'.

<<<"Commercial use" as defined here, refers to any use that is not a non-commercial use as defined above, and shall include, but not be limited to either of the following uses: a) the use of this software for the production of others' content for compensation, or b) the use of this software by a business for any purpose.>>>

Publicly declaring that you are going to ignore Cockos licensing agreement is kind of lame.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:58 AM   #11
teej813

Seems to me, Reaper is a $225 piece of software that Justin makes available to hobbyists for $50. That implies that the hobbyist doesn't make any money using Reaper.

And i totally agree with Debby... it's very cool to own and use the very same product that professionals use. I'm glad J&C have chosen this 'special arrangement' for hobbyists, like me.

tj
Old 12-06-2007, 01:00 PM   #12
BoxOfSnoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by volt View Post
no no, far better!

Wow, that is new! I'm going to start promoting Reaper to every...

...uh, carry on then!

Thanks so much J&C!
Old 12-06-2007, 01:11 PM   #13
dijon

I agree that if you make money you should buy a license, but I'm not so black-and-white as some others. If you do a small gig on the side and make a hundred bucks, should you turn around and buy a commercial license netting yourself a tidy negative $125? In my opinion, probably not. Maybe you're exploring the possibility of making money with music and aren't sure if it's going to work out? You should probably spend 50 bucks of that on a non-commercial license. Then, if things pan out, ugrade to a commercial license.

Mostly it's a common sense thing - If you think you should upgrade to a commercial license - you're probably right.

In the sound on sound review Justin explained it this way:
"...if you sell 10 copies of your CD he doesn't expect you to buy a commercial licence, but that if you sell 1000 copies you probably should."

Seems like there's plenty of gray area there for people to decide themselves. Makes sense to me.
dijon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:22 PM   #14
khol

There is no doubt in my mind that i will pay a full lincence if i ever make money enough to justify it. That is if i make money enough that covers the cost and there is potential that i will earn even more.

However.... there is also no doubt that no one will ever pay for my masterpieces

I will order a Korg M3 with a RADIAS-card tomorrow.

I _DO HOPE_ that i can use REAPER with the software that comes with the M3...
khol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:29 PM   #15
LanceP

Quote:
Wow, that is new! I'm going to start promoting Reaper to every...

...uh, carry on then!

Thanks so much J&C!
I thought it was always this way. Licenses for 1.xxx entitled you to upgrades through 2.999 and licenses for 2.xxx entitled you to upgrades through 3.999. Of course 3.824 scares the shit out of me. "telepathic routing" and "artificial intelligence backing VSTIs" will be crazy but at least we won't have to put up with Steinbergs "human embedded microchip" copy protection.

Lance
LanceP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:34 PM   #16
earlabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakerock View Post
Publicly declaring that you are going to ignore Cockos licensing agreement is kind of lame.
Well,... oh WTF.....

Last edited by earlabs; 12-06-2007 at 01:37 PM. Reason: swallowed my tongue
earlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:48 PM   #17
tva

"Purchasing a license for REAPER v2.x entitles the user to use, on one computer at a time, past and future versions of REAPER up to and including v3.99." - quoted from thread

"Said purchased license shall apply to the current version of REAPER(TM) and any future versions of REAPER(TM) up through and including version 3.99." - quoted from About box

Hello all. I have had my reaper license for a few months and like everyone else I enjoy it more than my other daws. However after reading this quote from the new license agreement I felt I needed some clarity. Does this apply only to those who purchased after Version 2 or to those prior as well? I ask because I believe prior to v2 the license was up to 2.99. Does this apply to those of us pre v2 or is it now 3.99 for us as well? I will happily upgrade or re-purchase if that is not the case, just curious. Thanks!
tva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:00 PM   #18
LanceP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tva View Post
"Purchasing a license for REAPER v2.x entitles the user to use, on one computer at a time, past and future versions of REAPER up to and including v3.99." - quoted from thread

"Said purchased license shall apply to the current version of REAPER(TM) and any future versions of REAPER(TM) up through and including version 3.99." - quoted from About box

Hello all. I have had my reaper license for a few months and like everyone else I enjoy it more than my other daws. However after reading this quote from the new license agreement I felt I needed some clarity. Does this apply only to those who purchased after Version 2 or to those prior as well? I ask because I believe prior to v2 the license was up to 2.99. Does this apply to those of us pre v2 or is it now 3.99 for us as well? I will happily upgrade or re-purchase if that is not the case, just curious. Thanks!
pre ver 2 licenses are good throu 2.999
Old 12-06-2007, 03:13 PM   #19
willowhaus

Wow - this is a very exciting discussion. I'm surprised it's never come up before.
willowhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:24 PM   #20
BoxOfSnoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceP View Post
I thought it was always this way. Licenses for 1.xxx entitled you to upgrades through 2.999 and licenses for 2.xxx entitled you to upgrades through 3.999. Of course 3.824 scares the shit out of me.
At first it didn't say that though. 2.0 - 2.999

Whatever, a bargain at $50 for a hobbyist like me.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:16 PM   #21
LanceP

Quote:
At first it didn't say that though. 2.0 - 2.999

Whatever, a bargain at $50 for a hobbyist like me.
I seem to remember when I got my license it was good through 2.999. And then, approaching ver. 2 there was a thing about the price going up, ver.2 licenses being good through 3.999, and ver.1 licenses still being good up to 2.999. But, you're right, $40/50 or $200/225 for that matter is still an excellent deal for just about anyone.

Lance
Old 12-08-2007, 05:22 AM   #22
eximious

$50 really is a bargain, especially when you consider all the bundled plug-ins. Now if I can only find an editor for as good a value...

I guess I'll stick to Audacity for now. Reaper + Audacity = FTW?

I believe so.
eximious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 06:15 AM   #23
Silicon/Silicium

Check Wavosaur, it's free!
Silicon/Silicium is offline   Reply With Quote