Old 04-20-2008, 04:31 AM   #1
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe
Human being with feelings

Default DrumReaplacer v1.0 - THE free drum replacing solution

UPDATED February 9 2009! This post is outdated, go to the end of this thread for the latest version (or click here http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...&postcount=103)

Hey all,

I'll be posting the first alpha of DrumReaplacer (with a built-in sampler) shortly, but before I do I just wanted to know if some nice soul out there has done some sample rate conversion i JS?

Since DrumReaplacer 1.0 will be its own sampler (and you should be able to use samples of any sample rate) I need to figure out how to do this in JS, but if someone has done it before there's no need to invent the wheel all over again (is that a saying in english?).

Anyway, any help is much appreciated! Regards,
- Jonas Eriksson

Last edited by Jonas_Eriksson_Swe; 02-09-2009 at 01:48 PM. Reason: SRC! (and bugfixes)
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 07:00 AM   #2
teej813

'reinvent the wheel' is, indeed, a common saying.

'round robinity', i'm not so familiar with. but i like it!

tj
Old 04-20-2008, 07:18 AM   #3
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas_Eriksson_Swe View Post
I'll be posting the first alpha of DrumReaplacer (with a built-in sampler) shortly, but before I do I just wanted to know if some nice soul out there has done some sample rate conversion i JS?
I don't think so ... but it sure would be awesome if Justin put in a JS hook to Reaper's SRC!
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 08:36 AM   #4
Finnish

Where can I find more info on this? How to use samples etc..?
Old 04-20-2008, 05:58 PM   #5
plamuk

nice.

will the internal sampler allow you to edit start/end point and pitch?
also, will the new drumreaplacer still allow you to use other software via midi, or will it exclusively use its own internal sampler?

good work.
plamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 03:13 AM   #6
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe

Thanks for your replies, everyone! DrumReaplacer 1.0 is sort of finished except for the sample rate conversion and I'm rather pleased with how it works (so easy to use compared to previous versions).

Quote:
Originally Posted by teej813 View Post
'round robinity', i'm not so familiar with. but i like it!
Me too : ) Actually I'm having a hard time deciding what to call that slider. What it does it that it controls how many other samples that has to be played before the first sample can be played again - to avoid the machine-gun or typewriter effect in snare fills, for example. Has anyone got an idea for a name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
I don't think so ... but it sure would be awesome if Justin put in a JS hook to Reaper's SRC!
+ 1 for that, would be great indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish View Post
Where can I find more info on this? How to use samples etc..?
Any info (and the DrumReaplacer 1.0, when finished) will be posted here. For now the samples in the source file has to be separated by a few milliseconds of digital silence, but I'm thinking about having thresholds as an option. I've been kind of busy lately (kids, work, beach volley...) but I'll post an almost finished version shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nym View Post
nice.

will the internal sampler allow you to edit start/end point and pitch?
also, will the new drumreaplacer still allow you to use other software via midi, or will it exclusively use its own internal sampler?

good work.
Start and end points will be found automatically (see above), but maybe there should be a "timing"-slider so you can adjust the timing of the hits backward or forward in time? (To be used only if you want the hits to be played earlier or later than in the original signal...)

DrumReaplacer 1.0 will not send MIDI, but if you need that functionality you could still use the 0.6a version, right? And I'll probably make a simple audio to MIDI trigger based on the DrumReaplacer code, but I'm afraid it'll be some time before I get around to doing that : (

Sample rate conversion, sample rate conversion, gotta get that sorted out now.

Regards,
- Jonas
Old 05-08-2008, 01:34 PM   #7
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe

Tjoho!

Finally a working alpha of DrumReaplacer 1.0:

[EDIT: Removed link to minimize confusion on what the current version is]

Works great, just install it and try it out! I included a few of Pipeline's Grip samples to get you going.

ToDo:
- Sample rate conversion (for now, use samples that match the original tracks)
- Stealth-mode
- a Dynamics slider
- Prevent loading to large sample source files
- Optimizations

Happy drum replacing! Regards,
- Jonas

Last edited by Jonas_Eriksson_Swe; 04-08-2009 at 02:28 AM.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:29 PM   #8
plamuk

just in time. thanks, jonas!
plamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 04:28 PM   #9
mschuster

Thanks Jonas! I've been using this ever since the beta testing.. The dynamics setting is outstanding!
mschuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 02:38 AM   #10
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe

Thanks guys!

I forgot to mention, if you want to make your own sample source files (I'm guessing you will : ) make sure there's at least 50 ms of digital silence between the samples.

Regards,
- Jonas
Old 06-06-2009, 11:23 AM   #11
Vulkanizer

Hey Jonas

I am back on Reaper on the Mac Book after version 3 since now the Scandinavian lettering thing seems to be fixed (hooray!)

However I am experiencing quite a bit of delay (9315 samples to be exact) on the output of Drumreaplacer (just got the newest version) - I am guessing you are still on your mac book pro as well. Have you had any such problems with reaper 3?

This also goes for your demo project that comes with the newest version.
Also there does not seem to be any change in delay time depending on the sample i use to replace with.

Cheers
J
Vulkanizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:39 PM   #12
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulkanizer View Post
Hey Jonas

I am back on Reaper on the Mac Book after version 3 since now the Scandinavian lettering thing seems to be fixed (hooray!)

However I am experiencing quite a bit of delay (9315 samples to be exact) on the output of Drumreaplacer (just got the newest version) - I am guessing you are still on your mac book pro as well. Have you had any such problems with reaper 3?

This also goes for your demo project that comes with the newest version.
Also there does not seem to be any change in delay time depending on the sample i use to replace with.

Cheers
J
Hmm, I just did a few tests with 3.02 and everything seems to work as expected... I'll install 3.03 and try again.

[EDIT:]

Tried with 3.03 and it also works fine here as well, however I haven't done a fresh install, just installed the newer versions on top of the old. Do you still have delay problems?

Regards,
- Jonas

Last edited by Jonas_Eriksson_Swe; 06-16-2009 at 09:59 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:59 AM   #13
Vulkanizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas_Eriksson_Swe View Post
Hmm, I just did a few tests with 3.02 and everything seems to work as expected... I'll install 3.03 and try again.

[EDIT:]

Tried with 3.03 and it also works fine here as well, however I haven't done a fresh install, just installed the newer versions on top of the old. Do you still have delay problems?

Regards,
- Jonas
I am still on 3.02. Since we just moved and got on a company ISP I've been having this issue mess up my downloads so I cant bet my hands on 3.03 right now:
http://hackthemac.blogspot.com/2008/...cant-open.html

Don't know when I will be able to download properly again. Just goes to show you should own your internet connection yourself.

On the drumreaplacer front though I am sorry to report that there has been no change in 3.02 regarding the delay. situation is the same.

J
Vulkanizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 12:48 PM   #14
pipelineaudio
Mortal

I'm making the ReaPlacer versions of the gog files of Kompound Drums. I got them to show all 32 hits, but its playing late. What could be causing this?
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 11:17 PM   #15
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
I'm making the ReaPlacer versions of the gog files of Kompound Drums. I got them to show all 32 hits, but its playing late. What could be causing this?
Hey Pipe!

Long time... I listened to to your samples and they sound good!

Unfortunatley I don't know why they should be late in DrumReaplacer (does your older stuff still work?) but if you could post a wav that doesn't work as expected I'll see if I can figure it out (PM the link if you don't want it here in public.)

Regards,
- Jonas