Old 07-19-2019, 09:42 AM   #1
John Lance
Human being with feelings

Default Track Envelopes: Linear vs Logarithmic

I don't find this listed anywhere, and would really like to see an implementation of it.

In the pop-up box that shows available automation for a track I would like to have another column that enables logarithmic vs linear display in the automation lane for the corresponding item.

Most often I would like logarithmic instead of linear when dealing with volume levels, and sometimes with frequencies and even to go so far as to specify some limitations like we already have with the fader controls. So much is crunched up in the lower 1/3 of the lane it becomes very difficult to manipulate it manually.

I realize this would open up a bit of a can of difficulty when dealing with the way existing "curves" are drawn and dealt with.

It has been a long time since I've been on the forum. This would be a feature request and I'm still looking for where those go.

Last edited by John Lance; 07-19-2019 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Title - rearrange
John Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:48 AM   #2
John Lance

I did put this here just in case I've missed the "how to do this already" part.

I don't see it, but that doesn't mean to me that I've exhausted the wherefor's and howto's.

...and I did find where feature requests go, but will wait until I am sure it isn't somehow already implemented and I'm missing it.
Old 07-20-2019, 04:48 AM   #3
Xenakios

The feature doesn't exist. Enhancements for the envelope vertical display have been requested numerous times already in different forms, but the Cockos developers don't appear to be interested in implementing it.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:05 AM   #4
John Lance

Thank you.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:49 AM   #5
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lance View Post
Most often I would like logarithmic instead of linear when dealing with volume levels, and sometimes with frequencies and even to go so far as to specify some limitations like we already have with the fader controls. So much is crunched up in the lower 1/3 of the lane it becomes very difficult to manipulate it manually.
For the volume envelopes you can have either amplitude or fader scaling, by default it is amplitude scaling. You can change this for any given volume envelope in right-click menu over the envelope lane, under the Envelope defaults.

You can also change the default for any new volume envelope in Preferences/Project/Track & Send Defaults, Scaling for new volume envelopes.

Won't help with other envelopes, but at least something...
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:58 AM   #6
John Lance

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
For the volume envelopes you can have either amplitude or fader scaling, by default it is amplitude scaling. You can change this for any given volume envelope in right-click menu over the envelope lane, under the Envelope defaults.

Won't help with other envelopes, but at least something...
Yes, this is better than not having anything. Just found what you mentioned. THANK YOU.