Old 05-16-2021, 11:56 PM   #1
ivansc
Human being with feelings

Default 2560x1600 monitor

I am about to collect a used, 30" one of these & whilst I know it will work with my Mac Mini, does anyone know if (given that my gfx card IS capable) going to this sort of resolution is going to present any problems with Reaper 6.28 and/or vst plugins? I couldnt find much about using dual link DVI-D 2k monitors with Reaper here or elsewhere.
Old 05-17-2021, 12:20 AM   #2
o_e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
I am about to collect a used, 30" one of these & whilst I know it will work with my Mac Mini, does anyone know if (given that my gfx card IS capable) going to this sort of resolution is going to present any problems with Reaper 6.28 and/or vst plugins? I couldnt find much about using dual link DVI-D 2k monitors with Reaper here or elsewhere.
Hi, I'am running a 30' Apple Cinema Display since ~2013 with no hassle on a Macbook Pro late 2013 and now on a Macbook Pro 2019.
You'll need a Double DVI to Mini Display adapter (which also has a USB-A-Connector which you have to plug in) and if you are using a newer cpu, a Mini Display to Thunderbolt 3 Adapter as well.
I assume you are familiar with the Apple Adapter mess :-)
If you have more specific question, feel free to pm me..

Last edited by o_e; 05-17-2021 at 12:25 AM.
o_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 12:27 AM   #3
Softsynth

The resolution won't be a problem for Reaper or the OS. Probably will work without hitches with the correct DVI cables (and the vast majority of video cards).
That must be a really old one. I know some folks have a preference for the slight vertical increase of 16:10.

Potential hardware issues might possibly rear their ugly head if the DVI cables are inadequate, but I haven't seen ancient DVI-I cables for a long time. So when it's up and running if the display looks a little off (in terms of motion smoothness) check that it isn't running at 30hz.

No alternative options for display port or HDMI?
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 01:03 AM   #4
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

The only thing that matters is the display scaling. OSX obfuscates what this is, but you need to figure it out if you want to understand what Reaper (and plugins) are going to do. If you run your 2560x1600 monitor at '2560x1600' in OSX, that's 100%. The way everything used to be. If you set it differently, there is going to be scaling, and Reaper's HiDPI functionality will come into play.
Old 05-17-2021, 03:18 PM   #5
ivansc

Silly me. I missed one crucial part out: I will mostly be using it vial dual link DVD-D cables on both the Mac Mini AND my i7 4770 Win10 PC.

The particular monitor has 3 DVD-D connectors, so no problems with having enough I/O etc. And in case it helps, it is a Hewlett Packard LP 3065, which judging by the HP Specifications seems like a decent if elderly monitor. For £45 UK pounds, I am not risking very much
The main objective here is to replace my two 23" 1920x1080 monitors so I can put my audio monitors closer together & free up some desk space.

Collecting it tomorrow, so we shall see. I am taking the Mac Mini with me to make sure the monitor itself is working OK.
Old 05-17-2021, 06:44 PM   #6
Softsynth

If it works as expected it could still be a serious quality display.
Probably ye olde cold cathode backlight, so it could take a while to warm up. So give it a few minutes before calibrating the display.
Old 05-18-2021, 12:14 AM   #7
ivansc

Hope you are right! I shall know by tonight, but so long as the picture comes fairly close to my old IPS screens I will be very happy. Oh, and so long as the end result in reaper isn`t so tiny - VST - that I cant see the buggers.
Mind you, having paid so little for it, I could probably sell it on & get my money back.
Old 05-18-2021, 12:33 AM   #8
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Hope you are right! I shall know by tonight, but so long as the picture comes fairly close to my old IPS screens I will be very happy. Oh, and so long as the end result in reaper isn`t so tiny - VST - that I cant see the buggers.
Mind you, having paid so little for it, I could probably sell it on & get my money back.
You can cut out the guesswork.
http://www.displaywars.com/23-inch-1...-30-inch-16x10

https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calcu...calculator.php

23" 93 pixels per inch Vs 110 for the 30"
Like my 34" 21:9. It's going to depend on if the quality is still there. I've seen screens with the same 110 pixels per inch look crystal clear and others (also at native resolution - 100% scaling in Windows) with poor text clarity.

If that doesn't do it for you I suggest 32" 2560x1440. Pixel size more akin to your 23.6".
Good luck.

Last edited by Softsynth; 05-18-2021 at 01:24 AM.
Old 05-18-2021, 02:33 PM   #9
ivansc

Working great on my PC but apparently I need to buy a special mini display port to DVD-D dual link adapter.... I do have a passive one which is not up to the task, so I now have to find a prehistoric A1306 from somewhere.... However, I can already use it with the Mac, just everything is VERY BIG.

And using it with the PC instead of the 2 23" ones has gained me 16 inches more desk real estate AND I can put my audio monitors closer together, so it is already a win-win.

If I manage to find the right adapter I may break down & buy one of the Apple Cinema 30" ones ....