Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 10-26-2021, 02:20 PM   #1
mikeh100
Human being with feelings

Default Compatibility w/ Apple M1 Pro, M1 Max chips, MacOS Monterey (OSX 12)

Any news about running Reaper on the new MacBook Pro models with the M1 Pro and M1 Max chips under macOS Monterey (OSX 12) ?

===

October 18, 2021
PRESS RELEASE
Introducing M1 Pro and M1 Max: the most powerful chips Apple has ever built
Powering the all-new MacBook Pro, new chips feature up to a 10-core CPU, 32-core GPU, 64GB of unified memory, ProRes acceleration, and industry-leading power efficiency

CUPERTINO, CALIFORNIA Apple today announced M1 Pro and M1 Max, the next breakthrough chips for the Mac. Scaling up M1’s transformational architecture, M1 Pro offers amazing performance with industry-leading power efficiency, while M1 Max takes these capabilities to new heights. The CPU in M1 Pro and M1 Max delivers up to 70 percent faster CPU performance than M1, so tasks like compiling projects in Xcode are faster than ever. The GPU in M1 Pro is up to 2x faster than M1, while M1 Max is up to an astonishing 4x faster than M1, allowing pro users to fly through the most demanding graphics workflows.

M1 Pro and M1 Max introduce a system-on-a-chip (SoC) architecture to pro systems for the first time. The chips feature fast unified memory, industry-leading performance per watt, and incredible power efficiency, along with increased memory bandwidth and capacity. M1 Pro offers up to 200GB/s of memory bandwidth with support for up to 32GB of unified memory. M1 Max delivers up to 400GB/s of memory bandwidth — 2x that of M1 Pro and nearly 6x that of M1 — and support for up to 64GB of unified memory. And while the latest PC laptops top out at 16GB of graphics memory, having this huge amount of memory enables graphics-intensive workflows previously unimaginable on a notebook. The efficient architecture of M1 Pro and M1 Max means they deliver the same level of performance whether MacBook Pro is plugged in or using the battery. M1 Pro and M1 Max also feature enhanced media engines with dedicated ProRes accelerators specifically for pro video processing. M1 Pro and M1 Max are by far the most powerful chips Apple has ever built.

“M1 has transformed our most popular systems with incredible performance, custom technologies, and industry-leading power efficiency. No one has ever applied a system-on-a-chip design to a pro system until today with M1 Pro and M1 Max,” said Johny Srouji, Apple’s senior vice president of Hardware Technologies. “With massive gains in CPU and GPU performance, up to six times the memory bandwidth, a new media engine with ProRes accelerators, and other advanced technologies, M1 Pro and M1 Max take Apple silicon even further, and are unlike anything else in a pro notebook.”

M1 Pro: A Whole New Level of Performance and Capability
Utilizing the industry-leading 5-nanometer process technology, M1 Pro packs in 33.7 billion transistors, more than 2x the amount in M1. A new 10-core CPU, including eight high-performance cores and two high-efficiency cores, is up to 70 percent faster than M1, resulting in unbelievable pro CPU performance. Compared with the latest 8-core PC laptop chip, M1 Pro delivers up to 1.7x more CPU performance at the same power level and achieves the PC chip’s peak performance using up to 70 percent less power.1 Even the most demanding tasks, like high-resolution photo editing, are handled with ease by M1 Pro.

M1 Pro has an up-to-16-core GPU that is up to 2x faster than M1 and up to 7x faster than the integrated graphics on the latest 8-core PC laptop chip.1 Compared to a powerful discrete GPU for PC notebooks, M1 Pro delivers more performance while using up to 70 percent less power.2 And M1 Pro can be configured with up to 32GB of fast unified memory, with up to 200GB/s of memory bandwidth, enabling creatives like 3D artists and game developers to do more on the go than ever before.

M1 Max: The World’s Most Powerful Chip for a Pro Notebook
M1 Max features the same powerful 10-core CPU as M1 Pro and adds a massive 32-core GPU for up to 4x faster graphics performance than M1. With 57 billion transistors — 70 percent more than M1 Pro and 3.5x more than M1 — M1 Max is the largest chip Apple has ever built. In addition, the GPU delivers performance comparable to a high-end GPU in a compact pro PC laptop while consuming up to 40 percent less power, and performance similar to that of the highest-end GPU in the largest PC laptops while using up to 100 watts less power.2 This means less heat is generated, fans run quietly and less often, and battery life is amazing in the new MacBook Pro. M1 Max transforms graphics-intensive workflows, including up to 13x faster complex timeline rendering in Final Cut Pro compared to the previous-generation 13-inch MacBook Pro.

M1 Max also offers a higher-bandwidth on-chip fabric, and doubles the memory interface compared with M1 Pro for up to 400GB/s, or nearly 6x the memory bandwidth of M1. This allows M1 Max to be configured with up to 64GB of fast unified memory. With its unparalleled performance, M1 Max is the most powerful chip ever built for a pro notebook.

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2021/...as-ever-built/

Last edited by mikeh100; 11-12-2021 at 08:54 PM. Reason: better reflects the question
mikeh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 12:34 PM   #2
keener3rd

I had one delivered Tuesday with an M1 Pro chip. I’ve installed Reaper, the SWS extensions, ReaPack and DMXIS, but I still need to finish configuring everything before trying to move our shows over to the MacBook for testing. I’m hoping to get it fully functional in the next week or so.
keener3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 02:19 PM   #3
norbury brook

AA Aqua plugins are broken with Monterey they work fine on the previous OS and Apple silicone as they were one of the first to port.... the OS update has broken this,

M
Old 11-02-2021, 07:19 PM   #4
gerryfolk

Default specific FX

I'm now using only ReaComp and ReaFir with MacOS Big Sur. Will Reaper and these work if I upgrade to MacOS Monterey?
Thanks,
Gerryfolk
gerryfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 08:56 PM   #5
mikeh100

Quote:
Originally Posted by keener3rd View Post
I had one delivered Tuesday with an M1 Pro chip. I’ve installed Reaper, the SWS extensions, ReaPack and DMXIS, but I still need to finish configuring everything before trying to move our shows over to the MacBook for testing. I’m hoping to get it fully functional in the next week or so.
Hey, @keener3d, what has your experience been?

Last edited by mikeh100; 11-12-2021 at 10:48 PM.
mikeh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 08:34 AM   #6
keener3rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeh100 View Post
Hey, @keener3d, what has your experience been?
I apologize for the delay! I was finally able to get everything configured and do some very limited preliminary testing on Monday night. Lights, video, backing tracks, click track and vocal cues are all working as expected.

We are a cover band and we use a separate project tab for each song, so I use a script me2beats created that basically kills anything running everywhere but the active project tab (I start each song via a MIDI foot switch). The only issue I've had so far is that the command ID for the script is different on the Mac than on my Windows machine, so I need to update the Marker to reflect the new ID. Our backup laptop will be a Windows machine, so we will effectively have two Markers for the stop script in every project tab. One will have the Mac command ID and the other will have the Windows command ID.

I'll be creating set lists tonight for tomorrow night's practice, so I'll report in on how the more extensive testing goes later this week.
Old 11-21-2021, 01:00 PM   #7
keener3rd

Had a few issues on the Mac with DMXIS and our lights. Reaper didn’t seem to remember the dimmer lighting assignment after restarts and, at one point, it reacted like I hooked up a different DMXIS unit in the middle of a song. MIDI foot switch and set lists all worked as expected, but I’ll have to debug the lighting issues over the next few weeks. I’m currently using the Mac version of reaper, but I may try the other version if I can’t get things functioning properly with the current install.
Old 11-30-2021, 08:37 AM   #8
Reaper4VO

Default What Mac version to download for Monterry?

Which version of Reaper should you download for the new M1 Macbook Pros running Monterry?
Reaper4VO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 07:13 AM   #9
keener3rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper4VO View Post
Which version of Reaper should you download for the new M1 Macbook Pros running Monterry?
I’m using the Mac OS 10.15+ version and will finally be able to do a little more testing tonight.
Old 12-02-2021, 02:00 PM   #10
keener3rd

Still having some issues with DMXIS / lighting and the script that stops all other projects except the active one. I’m kind of at a loss on whether or not I can resolve these issues as the same projects are working as designed on my guitarist’s Windows laptop (and used to on my Win laptop until I started getting ASIO driver issues I couldn’t resolve). I’ll give it another go and, if that isn’t successful, I’ll likely give the Mac 64 bit version a try.
Old 12-07-2021, 07:06 PM   #11
Imallornothing

I've been following this thread for quite sometime now before I actually created this account. I'm curious as to when will Reaper be updating to OSX 12 too. I have a macbook pro 16in from late 2019 and I've been wanting to purchase Reaper for a while but I just dont know if its compatible. I'm trying not to cave in and buy some other DAW but I'm tempted because I have not heard much for OSX 12 for Reaper.
Imallornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 10:19 PM   #12
vanhaze

Imallornothing:

I am running Reaper on OSX Monterey 12.01 (Intel mac mini 2018, Presonus USB-C audio interface)

No issues at all, Reaper runs great !

Kind Regards.
Old 12-08-2021, 05:39 AM   #13
norbury brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imallornothing View Post
I've been following this thread for quite sometime now before I actually created this account. I'm curious as to when will Reaper be updating to OSX 12 too. I have a macbook pro 16in from late 2019 and I've been wanting to purchase Reaper for a while but I just dont know if its compatible. I'm trying not to cave in and buy some other DAW but I'm tempted because I have not heard much for OSX 12 for Reaper.
can't you just try the demo first ?

M
Old 12-08-2021, 11:16 AM   #14
willi57

Default Macbook Air M1 / Monterey

I moved from an older iMac with OS 10.13.6 and Reaper64 to this M1 machine with OS 12.01. Loads of issues with Wave plugin updates (to be expected and that went fast), my Antelope Audio Discrete8 interface and Reaper. I'm running Reaper 6.42.0 and after some fiddling with shiftet sample rate settings I can play back audio now, but I cannot record on the new setup. Antelope's software (although often buggy) seems to route the incoming audio fine, but it is not recognized by Reaper tracks. Help anyone? Thanks!
willi57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 07:17 PM   #15
Imallornothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
can't you just try the demo first ?

M
I did already. My 60 days were up back at the beginning of October.... I didnt want to continue to use Reaper for free so I hesitated and updated my macbook instead. Not realizing Reaper didnt have a OSX 12 option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
Imallornothing:

I am running Reaper on OSX Monterey 12.01 (Intel mac mini 2018, Presonus USB-C audio interface)

No issues at all, Reaper runs great !

Kind Regards.
Alright. Much appreciation for your intel. Looks like I might be purchasing Reaper after all.

Last edited by Imallornothing; 12-08-2021 at 07:27 PM.
Imallornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 05:27 AM   #16
willi57

Default got it

Quote:
Originally Posted by willi57 View Post
I moved from an older iMac with OS 10.13.6 and Reaper64 to this M1 machine with OS 12.01. Loads of issues with Wave plugin updates (to be expected and that went fast), my Antelope Audio Discrete8 interface and Reaper. I'm running Reaper 6.42.0 and after some fiddling with shiftet sample rate settings I can play back audio now, but I cannot record on the new setup. Antelope's software (although often buggy) seems to route the incoming audio fine, but it is not recognized by Reaper tracks. Help anyone? Thanks!
It looks like the problem was in a brand new USB hub I ordered along with the new laptop. Just one of those USB Inputs is working properly, so after finding out about that I was able to record with the new setup. Just a quick test but so far looking good....hope this holds up!
willi57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 06:11 AM   #17
JacqueH

Quote:
Originally Posted by willi57 View Post
It looks like the problem was in a brand new USB hub I ordered along with the new laptop. ...
Thanks for the update! I hope to hear from a few more success stories using Reaper on Monterey and then I'll be moving soon. Is there anyone else who can share whether the current version of Reaper is working on Monterey? Thanks!
Old 12-27-2021, 03:30 AM   #18
choco92lat

Default Issue with Bias FX2 on MacOS Monterey

I encounter an issue with Bias FX2 plugin (MacOS 12 64 bits - Intel chip). The plugin works but it is no more possible to edit the sound chain. The plugin worked correctly on MacOS Big Sur. Any one can help? Thanks.
Old 01-05-2022, 05:18 AM   #19
pclavijo

Default BIAS FX 2 ERROR WITH MACOS MONTEREY

Quote:
Originally Posted by choco92lat View Post
I encounter an issue with the Bias FX2 plugin (MacOS 12 64 bits - Intel chip). The plugin works but it is no more possible to edit the sound chain. The plugin worked correctly on MacOS Big Sur. Any one can help? Thanks.
Hi, I have the same problem with macOS Monterey and BIAS FX, I opened a ticket with Positive grid (BIAS FX) and they said that we have to wait until Reaper launches a fully compatible version for our OS.

Meanwhile Bias FX 2 users can keep using the stand-alone version for BIAS FX2, the error is only present in the VST plugin version.
pclavijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 05:23 AM   #20
norbury brook

so does Reaper NOT work with Monterey/Apple silicone?

I thought Reaper had a native ARM version, it's one of the reasons I came back to reaper as I'm going to buy an M1 macbook pro.

M
Old 01-05-2022, 05:17 PM   #21
mlprod

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
so does Reaper NOT work with Monterey/Apple silicone?

I thought Reaper had a native ARM version, it's one of the reasons I came back to reaper as I'm going to buy an M1 macbook pro.

M
Yes it does and yes it has.
Old 01-07-2022, 05:02 AM   #22
norbury brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlprod View Post
Yes it does and yes it has.
thanks Magnus,

Is everything working well? I'm still on the fence about buying a £3500 laptop and it not working great with Reaper and my plugins....

M
Old 01-15-2022, 10:28 AM   #23
choco92lat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclavijo View Post
Hi, I have the same problem with macOS Monterey and BIAS FX, I opened a ticket with Positive grid (BIAS FX) and they said that we have to wait until Reaper launches a fully compatible version for our OS.

Meanwhile Bias FX 2 users can keep using the stand-alone version for BIAS FX2, the error is only present in the VST plugin version.
Hi, thanks.
So I am not sur to understand if Reaper is *officially* compatible with Mac OS Monterey, because the indication on downloading page "macOS 10.15+ REAPER v6.45 - 25MB Universal for Intel and ARM64" is unclear.
Can anyone help?
Old 01-16-2022, 01:18 PM   #24
JacqueH

Default Early Result: Reaper 6.43 with OS X Monterey

Hi all, I just updated by M1 iMac (24-inch, 2021; 16GB memory) to OS X 12.1 Monterey.

Fired up Reaper 6.43 (64 bit) and played through a simple recording project I had previously recorded. This is far far from from a comprehensive test of Reaper's viability on Monterey, but everything I did ran fine.

This would seem to match with the experiences other people are reporting on this thread, that Reaper seems fine while there might be some problems with particular plugins.

I will report here again when I have done some more work. (For instance ... I did not try to record anything! That's a major gap in my testing protocol hahahaha.)

Anyway, so far so good. YMMV.

Jacque
Old 02-07-2022, 03:39 PM   #25
keener3rd

Things have been pretty hectic for the last few months with packing and moving into a new home, but I have some very good news to report. My guitarist uses a Windows laptop and we routinely pass our Reaper files back and forth. We finally got a chance to do a deep dive into the issues Friday night and we were able to resolve them, so here is the run down.

Lights were not working as expected with DMXIS / Reaper - Root cause was that when setting the dimmer on the DMXIS interface within Reaper, I was double-clicking the first dimmer slider to highlight all dimmer sliders and tryin to assign the “dimmer” lighting entry to everything at the same time. Unfortunately, you must assign the function to each one individually. Once we did that, the lights worked as expected.

Line 6 Helix guitar pedal changes not working via midi - Root cause was that the midi controller name and ID’s were different between the two machines. Once I renamed the device and reassigned the numeric ID to match, pedal changes worked as expected.

* A side note on this one is that he was originally using a 50 ft midi cable and had to program to account for lag in the signal transmission. He switched out the midi cable for an xlr cable and that completely eliminated the lag. I just sit in the back and hit stuff, so I never would have figured this out.

We did some pretty extensive testing and every single one passed, so I’ll be using the Mac to drive practice this Friday night. Expecting things to go well, but I’ll report back in either way.
Old 02-08-2022, 06:05 AM   #26
JacqueH

Quote:
. . . I have some very good news to report. . .
Thanks for the update! Good to hear that thing have been resolved &/or are working as expected. I (we?) look forward to your further updates.

As for myself, in my very simple setup for a current project, things continue to work fine on my M1 iMac.

Jacque
Old 02-08-2022, 06:55 AM   #27
vanhaze

FWIW:

Running ARM version of Reaper on my new Macbook Air M1 from 2020, (8gig RAM), Monterey 12.3beta and Reaper flies, no issues at all.

Sidenote: haven't tested with any 3rdparty plugin yet cause i need to re-install them
on my new Macbook Air M1.
Old 02-08-2022, 11:53 AM   #28
norbury brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
FWIW:

Running ARM version of Reaper on my new Macbook Air M1 from 2020, (8gig RAM), Monterey 12.3beta and Reaper flies, no issues at all.

Sidenote: haven't tested with any 3rdparty plugin yet cause i need to re-install them
on my new Macbook Air M1.
what's the performance like on an Air? I was thinking maybe I wont get enough use out of a Mac Book pro M1 and I'd get by with an air or the 13 inch version on the odd occasion I need to.

M
Old 02-08-2022, 06:37 PM   #29
USR

For those who got the new M1 Pro/Max Macbook Pro, does the notch on the monitor bother you? I'm curious because that's where REAPER's recording/audio device info is displayed.
USR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 07:06 AM   #30
kris.audioplanet

Quote:
Originally Posted by USR View Post
For those who got the new M1 Pro/Max Macbook Pro, does the notch on the monitor bother you? I'm curious because that's where REAPER's recording/audio device info is displayed.
No to so far, but I mainly use it with two external monitors.
kris.audioplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 08:35 AM   #31
keener3rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by USR View Post
Have the same notch on my phone and I honestly don’t notice it on either device.
Old 02-14-2022, 06:56 AM   #32
keener3rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacqueH View Post
Thanks for the update! Good to hear that thing have been resolved &/or are working as expected. I (we?) look forward to your further updates.

As for myself, in my very simple setup for a current project, things continue to work fine on my M1 iMac.

Jacque
Unfortunately, the only thing I can report from practice is that I’m an idiot. 😆 Got to practice and realized, as much as we tested previously, I wasn’t opening up saved set lists or kicking songs off with my midi foot switch. If I had been, I would have noticed that Extensions was missing from the tool bar. Short story is that I installed the arm version and none of the plugins, but I didn’t figure that out until the day after practice. With that said, I’ll have the “real” update in about two weeks…as long as I didn’t screw up anything else. 😉
Old 02-26-2022, 03:14 PM   #33
keener3rd

Had practice last night and I’m very happy to report that Reaper on the MacBook Pro performed flawlessly! Kicking off songs via my midi foot switch (as well as stopping, skipping forward and going backward), stage lights and guitar effects changes all did what was expected when it was expected, so it’s a big win for us.

I’ll certainly report in if we run into any issues, but I think we’re going to be in great shape moving forward.
Old 04-09-2022, 10:45 AM   #34
MonkeyBars

Quote:
Had practice last night and I’m very happy to report that Reaper on the MacBook Pro performed flawlessly!
Congrats on that, and thanks very much for your informative updates on Monterey. Anyone else care to report their results with this OS? The question is more urgent now since the release of the new Mac Studio models only come with Monterey and are going to be the first choice of audio users in studios.
MonkeyBars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 11:23 AM   #35
keener3rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
Congrats on that, and thanks very much for your informative updates on Monterey. Anyone else care to report their results with this OS? The question is more urgent now since the release of the new Mac Studio models only come with Monterey and are going to be the first choice of audio users in studios.
Happy to help! We did discover and resolve a new issue at our last practice. The video would play for a few minutes before freezing on the tv but, when we stopped displaying on the tv and used only the MacBook, it was playing fine.

As it turns out, the cause was Wi-Fi being enabled on the tv and the MacBook, even though we are passing the video signal via HDMI cable. I disabled Wi-Fi on the MacBook and that resolved the issue. I assume if we “forget” the network info on the tv’s and leave Wi-Fi enabled on the MacBook, that would work as well.
Old 05-05-2022, 03:05 PM   #36
jadoube

I am running the latest Reaper macOS 10.15+ on a MacBook Pro M1 Max. Noticing quite a lot of plugin issues that are locking Reaper up. Would I be better off running the Intel Reaper version for plugin compatibility?
Old 05-05-2022, 03:08 PM   #37
MonkeyBars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadoube View Post
Would I be better off running the Intel Reaper version for plugin compatibility?
If a plugin dev hasn't specifically released ARM versions, you can't run them natively and must run everything via Rosetta.
Old 05-05-2022, 03:15 PM   #38
jadoube

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
If a plugin dev hasn't specifically released ARM versions, you can't run them natively and must run everything via Rosetta.
Understood. It seemed like the ARM Reaper is launching a Rosetta wrapper automatically. I'll try the Intel binary and see if that is more stable. I recognize most of the issues will be the plugins.
Old 05-05-2022, 04:09 PM   #39
jadoube

Quote:
Understood. It seemed like the ARM Reaper is launching a Rosetta wrapper automatically. I'll try the Intel binary and see if that is more stable. I recognize most of the issues will be the plugins.
And in fact, that made all the difference. Things are very stable again running under the Intel Binary.
Old 05-05-2022, 04:32 PM   #40
MonkeyBars

Quote:
And in fact, that made all the difference. Things are very stable again running under the Intel Binary.
Awesome!

Has anyone seen any benchmarks comparing Rosetta to native in audio work? The number I saw being thrown around 2 years ago was 2% CPU but you never know with sophisticated audio algorithms...