Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 08-10-2021, 04:10 AM   #161
SmajjL
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiojunkie View Post
Why are you using a yabridge-wrapped Windows version of an app that has a Linux native version?
For som reason Linux drag and drop don't work and i was curious of why and if the Yabridge/WINE could solve that.

Robbert said The DAW need to implement https://freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/XDND/ or something else like it to get it supported, it is on the DAW-side as i understand it, so not TALs fault or Linux.

I am using Steam Proton/WINE anyway with great success i might add but if i can swap plug-ins (or a GAME for that matter) that have a native Linux i will and i did

It does have a built-in browser but but.. hmm, if one is using Bitwig also then might use WINE if that could solve it first before the DAW.

Not the end of the world, just a *Doh!* hey! my flow!-compromized! ahhh!!

Last edited by SmajjL; 08-10-2021 at 04:39 AM.
SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 04:43 PM   #162
Pinknoise

The latest Wine I could install in MXLinux19.4 is 6.14 and I wonder if that's why it is working only half of the time. Maybe I just don't know how to install the latest wine-staging.

I can get stuff like Valhalla or Kuassa running well but 2caudio breeze or superior drummer 3 makes Reaper crash.
Pinknoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 05:11 PM   #163
robbert-vdh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinknoise View Post
The latest Wine I could install in MXLinux19.4 is 6.14 and I wonder if that's why it is working only half of the time. Maybe I just don't know how to install the latest wine-staging.

I can get stuff like Valhalla or Kuassa running well but 2caudio breeze or superior drummer 3 makes Reaper crash.
Wine 6.14 should work perfectly fine. The only current regression I'm aware of with newer Wine versions is iZotope Rx plugins getting stuck on shutdown. Wine 6.15 won't work though because of wine bug #51596 (openglfreak just submitted a patch that fixes this, so 6.16 should be fine again). You can try with Wine Staging 6.4 just to take Wine regressions out of the equation (see the downgrading instructions), but make sure to check the terminal output for any errors thrown by the plugin. Those plugins use hardware accelerated graphics, so also make sure your GPU drivers actually work.
robbert-vdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 05:23 PM   #164
Pinknoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbert-vdh View Post
Wine 6.14 should work perfectly fine. The only current regression I'm aware of with newer Wine versions is iZotope Rx plugins getting stuck on shutdown. Wine 6.15 won't work though because of wine bug #51596 (openglfreak just submitted a patch that fixes this, so 6.16 should be fine again). You can try with Wine Staging 6.4 just to take Wine regressions out of the equation (see the downgrading instructions), but make sure to check the terminal output for any errors thrown by the plugin. Those plugins use hardware accelerated graphics, so also make sure your GPU drivers actually work.
Thank you.
I get this error:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Version '6.4~-1' for 'winehq-staging' was not found
E: Version '6.4~-1' for 'wine-staging' was not found
E: Version '6.4~-1' for 'wine-staging-amd64' was not found
E: Version '6.4~-1' for 'wine-staging-i386:i386' was not found

I've put those in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/various.list :

# Winehq-staging
#deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/debian/ buster main

# Winehq Bullseye
#deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/debian/ bullseye main

There is probably another one to get the 6.4 version wich one is it ?
Old 08-13-2021, 06:31 PM   #165
robbert-vdh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinknoise View Post
Thank you.
I get this error:

Building dependency tree
E: Version '6.4~-1' for 'winehq-staging' was not found
E: Version '6.4~-1' for 'wine-staging' was not found
E: Version '6.4~-1' for 'wine-staging-amd64' was not found
E: Version '6.4~-1' for 'wine-staging-i386:i386' was not found

I've put those in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/various.list :

# Winehq-staging
#deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/debian/ buster main

# Winehq Bullseye
#deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/debian/ bullseye main

There is probably another one to get the 6.4 version wich one is it ?
Those are both commented out and also conflicting. The code name should of course be the code name of the repo you've enabled following the instructions on the WineHQ wiki.
Old 08-20-2021, 03:18 AM   #166
timothys_monster

Hey, what wine version do you recommend using with yabridge? I am on Zorin OS 16 (Ubuntu 20.04).
timothys_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 12:12 PM   #167
SmajjL

Was about to say the latest WINE-stageing but there is a bug reported for 6.15 i see,so skip/duck that one
https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=51596

Old 08-21-2021, 01:45 PM   #168
robbert-vdh

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothys_monster View Post
Hey, what wine version do you recommend using with yabridge? I am on Zorin OS 16 (Ubuntu 20.04).
Any version of Wine 5.7+ will work with the builds up on GitHub, but usually you'd just want to use the latest version of Wine Staging unless something's broken in that version. Right now that is actually the case, so you'll need to install Wine Staging 6.14 (6.4 is also a safe bet) instead of the 6.15. To do that you'll first want to make sure to uninstall your current Wine version if you installed Wine from Ubuntu's normal repos before (sudo apt purge '*wine*', skip this if it's not necessary, Ubuntu allows you to install multiple Wine versions which can become a bit confusing if you don't do this). Then add the Ubuntu 20.04 repo from WineHQ's official repos, and install an older version of winehq-staging using these instructions:

https://github.com/robbert-vdh/yabri...wngrading-wine

You can change the version line there to any version that's in the repo you just added. When you update your system it will update Wine to the latest version again so you can either just remember to downgrade again or you can pin the package so it doesn't get updated (instructions for that are also on the page linked above).
Old 08-22-2021, 09:01 AM   #169
Pinknoise

Quote:
Any version of Wine 5.7+ will work with the builds up on GitHub, but usually you'd just want to use the latest version of Wine Staging unless something's broken in that version. Right now that is actually the case, so you'll need to install Wine Staging 6.14 (6.4 is also a safe bet) instead of the 6.15. To do that you'll first want to make sure to uninstall your current Wine version if you installed Wine from Ubuntu's normal repos before (sudo apt purge '*wine*', skip this if it's not necessary, Ubuntu allows you to install multiple Wine versions which can become a bit confusing if you don't do this). Then add the Ubuntu 20.04 repo from WineHQ's official repos, and install an older version of winehq-staging using these instructions:

https://github.com/robbert-vdh/yabri...wngrading-wine

You can change the version line there to any version that's in the repo you just added. When you update your system it will update Wine to the latest version again so you can either just remember to downgrade again or you can pin the package so it doesn't get updated (instructions for that are also on the page linked above).
I'm stuck trying to downgrade to 6.4 in MXLinux.
I install 6.5 and faudio.
Then when trying to downgrade I get this:

MXFotcm@MXCass2:~
$ version=6.4
$ codename=$(shopt -s nullglob; awk '/^deb https:\/\/dl\.winehq\.org/ { print $3; exit }' /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*.list)
$ sudo apt install --install-recommends {winehq-staging,wine-staging,wine-staging-amd64,wine-staging-i386}=$version~$codename-1
Building dependency tree
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
wine-staging-i386:i386 : Depends: libfaudio0:i386 (>= 19.06.07) but it is not installable
Recommends: libcapi20-3:i386 but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: libcups2:i386 but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: libglu1-mesa:i386 but it is not going to be installed or
libglu1:i386
Recommends: libgssapi-krb5-2:i386 but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: libgtk-3-0:i386 but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: libkrb5-3:i386 but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: libodbc1:i386 but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: libosmesa6:i386 but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: libpcap0.8:i386 but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: libsane:i386 but it is not going to be installed or
libsane1:i386
Recommends: libsdl2-2.0-0:i386 but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: libv4l-0:i386 but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: libxcomposite1:i386 but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: libxcursor1:i386 but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: libxinerama1:i386 but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: libxrandr2:i386 but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: libxslt1.1:i386 but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: libxxf86vm1:i386 but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

I reinstall from scratch everytime as I try to avoid conflicts do somebody has a clue what can I do next ?
Old 08-22-2021, 09:49 AM   #170
robbert-vdh

You need the 32-bit version of libfaudio0. I don't think this is not in the repos for older distros, but if I recall correct the WineHQ page tells you where you can find it. I don't use any Debian based distros myself, so I can't help you with the specifics.
Old 08-22-2021, 11:04 AM   #171
Pinknoise

Quote:
You need the 32-bit version of libfaudio0. I don't think this is not in the repos for older distros, but if I recall correct the WineHQ page tells you where you can find it. I don't use any Debian based distros myself, so I can't help you with the specifics.
Thank you for your input. I tried some of these here: https://download.opensuse.org/reposi...xUbuntu_18.04/
It's kind of a mess to try to find the one I need but I'll try again.
Old 08-22-2021, 11:21 AM   #172
JamesPeters

Shouldn't you be trying to get it from here?

https://download.opensuse.org/reposi...ian/Debian_10/

This page (the download page for Wine for Debian) with the explanation about this issue leads to this page, which then presents the two links for the downloads in the first post: one for Ubuntu and one for Debian. The link you posted is the one for Ubuntu.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 12:04 PM   #173
Pinknoise

Yes my bad I'll try again I mixed up.
I tried those 3 here but nothing works. My guess is I need a 6.5 deb to make it work instead of a 6.15 ?

Also as stated in the Faudio thread:
The quickest and easiest way to satisfy the new dependency is to download and install both the i386 and amd64 libfaudio0 packages before attempting to upgrade or install a WineHQ package. By installing the downloaded packages locally, you will not have to add the OBS repository. This only has to be done once.

I'll reinstall from scratch and try to install Faudio first.

Last edited by Pinknoise; 08-22-2021 at 12:18 PM.
Old 08-22-2021, 12:31 PM   #174
JamesPeters

I won't run a distro based on Debian stable, so I can't help with advice from direct experience, sorry. I just happened to realize you followed the wrong link before.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 01:22 PM   #175
SmajjL

No Debiab-based here either, MX Linux beta is on my, have-a-look-see-list though
But, i was thinking, if you use PlayOnLinux instead, does not that thing have a WINE-chooser-version-installer thingie, maby less dependecy-xxx that way? just a theory

Debiab?, oki..

Old 08-22-2021, 02:44 PM   #176
timothys_monster

Default Amazing piece of software

Just wanted to chime in to say that I got my first Windows plugin (Klanghelm DC8C) working and thanks to the fabulous documentation it was pretty easy!

Thank you very much for your hard work! You really made it user-friendly for us to install Win VSTs on Linux
Old 08-22-2021, 07:46 PM   #177
Pinknoise

I finally was able to downgrade to 6.4. In MXLinux 19.4, You need 4 files installed BEFORE installing Wine.

faudiolibfaudio0-dbgsym_20.01-0~buster_amd64.deb
libfaudio0_20.01-0~buster_amd64.deb
Found here both on top: https://download.opensuse.org/reposi...bian_10/amd64/
libfaudio0-dbgsym_20.01-0~buster_i386.deb
libfaudio0_20.01-0~buster_i386.deb
Found here both on top: https://download.opensuse.org/reposi...ebian_10/i386/

Also the right version of Wine (6.5) that I can downgrade won't be found in the Mx repos you need to install from here in my case Buster main:
https://wiki.winehq.org/Debian

Next you can follow the steps in the Readme file, with one minor exception:
In my case at least, I needed to change the capital P in VstPlugin for Vstplugin in the command line:

yabridgectl add "$HOME/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Steinberg/VstPlugins"

You need to create the path first by installing a pc plugin, that installs in the Steinberg directory or create the directories yourself.

I do still have crashes though so...don't know I'll try next weekend again maybe.
Old 08-28-2021, 02:38 PM   #178
pax-eterna

Wine-Staging 6.16 installed, correct version of Yabridge downloaded, all runs fine UNTIL sync when I get this message:

Finished setting up 3 plugins using copies (3 new), skipped 0 non-plugin .dll files

Warning: Could not run 'yabridge-host.exe'. Wine reported the following error:

00f4:err:seh:NtRaiseException Unhandled exception code c0000005 flags 0 addr 0x7bc2ebc7

Make sure that you have downloaded the correct version of yabridge for your distro.
This can also happen when using a version of Wine that's not compatible with this version of yabridge, in
which case you'll need to upgrade Wine. Your current Wine version is '6.16 (Staging)'. See the
link below for instructions on how to upgrade your installation of Wine.

https://github.com/robbert-vdh/yabri...-common-issues

oh btw, that link on the bottom no longer works
pax-eterna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 03:35 PM   #179
robbert-vdh

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax-eterna View Post
Wine-Staging 6.16 installed, correct version of Yabridge downloaded, all runs fine UNTIL sync when I get this message:

Finished setting up 3 plugins using copies (3 new), skipped 0 non-plugin .dll files

Warning: Could not run 'yabridge-host.exe'. Wine reported the following error:

00f4:err:seh:NtRaiseException Unhandled exception code c0000005 flags 0 addr 0x7bc2ebc7

Make sure that you have downloaded the correct version of yabridge for your distro.
This can also happen when using a version of Wine that's not compatible with this version of yabridge, in
which case you'll need to upgrade Wine. Your current Wine version is '6.16 (Staging)'. See the
link below for instructions on how to upgrade your installation of Wine.

https://github.com/robbert-vdh/yabri...-common-issues

oh btw, that link on the bottom no longer works
Which link do you mean? (the troubleshooting common issues link still works)

See the first bullet point when you click on that link, Wine 6.15 broke yabridge so you'll need to downgrade to Wine Staging 6.14 until they fix it (6.4 is also a safe bet). You can find downgrading instructions here.
Old 08-28-2021, 07:31 PM   #180
pax-eterna

Quote:

See the first bullet point when you click on that link, Wine 6.15 broke yabridge so you'll need to downgrade to Wine Staging 6.14 until they fix it (6.4 is also a safe bet). You can find downgrading instructions here.

Thanks, Robbert all sorted now
Old 08-31-2021, 10:48 AM   #181
pax-eterna

Quote:

Robbert, as you are closer to this than we are, do you have any clues as to when this will be fixed?
Old 08-31-2021, 11:02 AM   #182
robbert-vdh

Quote:
Robbert, as you are closer to this than we are, do you have any clues as to when this will be fixed?
I don't, no. Wine's maintainer (Alexander) didn't want to merge the patch as-is, but the creator of the patch hasn't spoken with Alexander yet to ask how it should be fixed instead.
Old 08-31-2021, 11:43 AM   #183
pax-eterna

Quote:
I don't, no. Wine's maintainer (Alexander) didn't want to merge the patch as-is, but the creator of the patch hasn't spoken with Alexander yet to ask how it should be fixed instead.
Ok cool thanks - I have set the Wine Staging updates to off, but my system keeps adding it to the list of updates available. There are quite a few system updates that I'd like to do but the Wine-Staging to 6.16 keep appearing in the list and I can't seem to selectively choose which updates under the specific System Updates list to run.
Old 09-02-2021, 02:10 PM   #184
pax-eterna

Ok, just trying this again (in the Manjaro setup) and Downgrade is not available in the AUR. All that comes up is a package called Install. I did however install that and ran the command as indicated: sudo env DOWNGRADE_FROM_ALA=1 downgrade wine-staging ....and response was "not found".

Obviously that AUR package Install is not the correct one. I also tried the link for the Downgrade and when trying to go forward from there got 404 messages for the links.

Some suggestions needed thanks!
Old 09-02-2021, 02:15 PM   #185
robbert-vdh

Quote:
Ok, just trying this again (in the Manjaro setup) and Downgrade is not available in the AUR. All that comes up is a package called Install. I did however install that and ran the command as indicated: sudo env DOWNGRADE_FROM_ALA=1 downgrade wine-staging ....and response was "not found".

Obviously that AUR package Install is not the correct one. I also tried the link for the Downgrade and when trying to go forward from there got 404 messages for the links.

Some suggestions needed thanks!
On Manjaro downgrade is actually in the repos. You can just install it using
Code:
sudo pacman -S downgrade
. The AUR package that version is built from is also just called downgrade.
Old 09-02-2021, 02:21 PM   #186
pax-eterna

Quote:
On Manjaro downgrade is actually in the repos. You can just install it using
Code:
sudo pacman -S downgrade
. The AUR package that version is built from is also just called downgrade.
Thanks Robbert
Old 09-03-2021, 01:53 AM   #187
SmajjL

If all software devs (that have no plans to ever make native Linux) knows about WINE, then why don't they build their VSTs to support WINE and it would work on Windows anyway?
Right? no? yes? not that simple?

Old 09-03-2021, 09:36 AM   #188
pax-eterna

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
If all software devs (that have no plans to ever make native Linux) knows about WINE, then why don't they build their VSTs to support WINE and it would work on Windows anyway?
Right? no? yes? not that simple?
I am guessing, as with most things that LOOK, or perhaps SEEM like they should be simple, perhaps they are not. If they were maybe it would have been so already???

I too, think MS app developers could be more cognizant of WINE operations, but like most things these days, there is probably nothing in it for them, so no effort is expended.
Old 09-03-2021, 11:19 AM   #189
SmajjL

I was thinking that would be minimal Linux-support-effort and gain more happy users on that side and, on the Proton gameing side, they say: Linux Native vs Proton? it - does - not - matter!

Old 09-03-2021, 12:40 PM   #190
pax-eterna

Quote:
I was thinking that would be minimal Linux-support-effort and gain more happy users on that side and, on the Proton gameing side, they say: Linux Native vs Proton? it - does - not - matter!
Yes I have looked into Proton and it really is rather simple to do in the Steam app Most of my games are gold to platinum under Proton...haven't gotten around to actually running one yet...but i have researched and it looks pretty cool! And I've been advised also by folks doing just that, so I know it works

Re the other thing, I recently went through it with a Windows app dev...after a couple of rather flimsy attempts, he "hand-balled" it to Linux and WINE, saying it was up to them and not him. I did lodge a request at WIN-HQ which they accepted, but that could take forever haha!

In the interim I am still distro-hopping, trying to get the setup and layout I am after....it's VERY difficult as it is nowhere near as simple as people (not here) make out....lots of install this, transfer this, load this, save this, hold your tongue left when you do that etc etc!

Currently having a look at Zorin 16 (not made any decision yet though) ....haha sorry for the rant
Old 09-04-2021, 10:25 AM   #191
SmajjL

Distrohopping aka "trying" stuff i know exaaactly what that is
I seem to be stable with sticking with Arch-based though.

Tried DE-hopping but KDE does what i need to much without the need to install extras

WINE 6.16 is also a no go it looks like with Yabridge, how typiclol.. *doh!*

But

Quote:
Wine 6.15 won't work though because of wine bug #51596 (openglfreak just submitted a patch that fixes this, so 6.16 should be fine again).
&

"Wine 6.15 and 6.16 will not work with yabridge because of Wine bug #51596" is still glued on the site though (if one refuse to downgrade)

hmm..

Last edited by SmajjL; 09-04-2021 at 10:40 AM.
Old 09-04-2021, 11:44 AM   #192
timothys_monster

Quote:

Currently having a look at Zorin 16 (not made any decision yet though) ....haha sorry for the rant
I am on Zorin 16 and really like the ease of use and general design. Since it is based on Ubuntu 20.04 you can find a lot of tutorials and the Zorin forum is as helpful amd chill as this one. Just not the same amount of users yet.

After configuring realtime-privileges and CPU via TLP I can now run VSTis with an external MIDI-keyboard and the onboard Realtek soundcard of my laptop, which on Windows was far from possible!
Old 09-04-2021, 11:53 AM   #193
pax-eterna

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 09-16-2021, 12:33 PM   #194
pax-eterna

Quote:
Distrohopping aka "trying" stuff i know exaaactly what that is
I seem to be stable with sticking with Arch-based though.

Tried DE-hopping but KDE does what i need to much without the need to install extras

WINE 6.16 is also a no go it looks like with Yabridge, how typiclol.. *doh!*

But

&

"Wine 6.15 and 6.16 will not work with yabridge because of Wine bug #51596" is still glued on the site though (if one refuse to downgrade)

hmm..
So is 6.16 now working? Some confusing info, just trying to clarify....

EDIT: I see now that staging 6.17 is needed/works? Not available on AUR as yet, latest there is 6.16

Last edited by pax-eterna; 09-16-2021 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-16-2021, 05:26 PM   #195
SmajjL

Quote:
Some confusing info
Yes, exactly what i ment you can install Downgrade (works well) or wait for 6.17, just stay out of 6.15/6.16's way

Kinda surprised AUR does not have 6.17 yet and i did come a long way trying to complile it myself, but, "so what" if in the end/reality, I FAILED! mu-hehe "better luck next time Gadget"

Had to install some Bison and Flex, some whine about installing font and what have we.
Lets just hope all is good with 6.17 when it shows up then

Last edited by SmajjL; 09-16-2021 at 05:39 PM.
Old 09-16-2021, 09:25 PM   #196
pax-eterna

Quote:
Yes, exactly what i ment you can install Downgrade (works well) or wait for 6.17, just stay out of 6.15/6.16's way

Kinda surprised AUR does not have 6.17 yet and i did come a long way trying to complile it myself, but, "so what" if in the end/reality, I FAILED! mu-hehe "better luck next time Gadget"

Had to install some Bison and Flex, some whine about installing font and what have we.
Lets just hope all is good with 6.17 when it shows up then
cool thanks - I'll check again tomorrow on the AUR
Old 09-17-2021, 10:37 AM   #197
pax-eterna

Nope, still on 6.16
Old 09-17-2021, 10:53 AM   #198
heda

here in MX Linux, v6.5 and it works. there is a 6.17 in testing repo, but I'm afraid to touch it since everything is working well here for now
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 11:02 AM   #199
Glennbo

Quote:
I'm running wine-staging 6.16-1 and not seeing any issues with Yabridge and the few Windows plugins I still use. Is it specific plugins that are having issues, or functions of Yabridge, like setting its paths or running sync, neither of which I ever do coz I never add more Windows plugins. The few I need are already setup.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 12:12 PM   #200
pax-eterna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
I'm running wine-staging 6.16-1 and not seeing any issues with Yabridge and the few Windows plugins I still use. Is it specific plugins that are having issues, or functions of Yabridge, like setting its paths or running sync, neither of which I ever do coz I never add more Windows plugins. The few I need are already setup.
Not sure yet...just checking before I start installing...I too have 6.16 in yet to run sync so we'll see what happens