Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 11-15-2021, 07:50 PM   #1721
Funkybot
Human being with feelings

In the case of Diva, don't they reuse the FXParam # for common parameters? For instance, cutoff frequency is the same regardless of filter model, same for resonance, or that ADSR's. That makes it at least a little easier. At least that's how it works on the VST2 version and when using MIDI learn as well. Though there's lots of things that make mapping Diva to hardware difficult like when osc waveform selection goes from a knob to a button or how octave/coarse/fine tuning knobs are just a single parameter (madness)!

I agree with the idea behind your FR. I just wonder if it's too esoteric and might be complex to implement.
Funkybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 10:40 AM   #1722
UNdark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
In the case of Diva, don't they reuse the FXParam # for common parameters? For instance, cutoff frequency is the same regardless of filter model, same for resonance, or that ADSR's. That makes it at least a little easier. At least that's how it works on the VST2 version and when using MIDI learn as well. Though there's lots of things that make mapping Diva to hardware difficult like when osc waveform selection goes from a knob to a button or how octave/coarse/fine tuning knobs are just a single parameter (madness)!

I agree with the idea behind your FR. I just wonder if it's too esoteric and might be complex to implement.
Glad for some feed back on it, thanks. I played back in the 80'90s and had a few synths i wish i had now. Big gap while just plain old engineering and not having any software control that made synths "work" like analogue dials and faders, so din't bother for years.. Till this project was born! Started with a DCO106 cause it was relatively simple and i used to have a juno 6, so knew what to expect. Then the idea of all synths falling into the same template (yep, youre right, super complex)But, sticking to the rules of rec/arm being on offs. Select being the "step" of a fader - including being able to jump you to "0" instead of wiggling a fader or rotary, great for volumes. Mute's being just that and on the output "autogain"
I haven't found it TOO bad : assigning parameters once i found a system. Again, you're right, it varies so much in terms of acceleration and ratio, but i try and keep it simple.
VST's/vst3 better than audio units for displaying the values the way the actual plugin does. Not all though.
The exciting thing (i think) is this could be used live over a few keyboards on separate channels. (or record enable them all at once ").. That live performance can be captured as envelopes and then easily edited with touch mode.
Not sorted Diva yet but thanks for the heads up. Not necessarily the best sounding plugs have the best/well laid out rawfile info and vice versa. The Op XII having buttons that were actually full range parameters threw another spanner in the works... still - any 1-3 VCO synth fits the template and as i use more synths, it becomes simpler to use. Definitely nothing i've used that can boast all these features of CSI. My vid demo doesn't really show the entire potential but i intend to make one that does capture that soon. Thanks for your help along the way

Last edited by UNdark; 11-16-2021 at 10:49 AM.
UNdark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 10:46 AM   #1723
UNdark

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMonkey View Post
Regarding DIVA, what would be great would be a way for CSI to switch Zones (actually FX SubZones) on receiving a particular FX parameter value.

The problem at the moment is that you can easily map each of DIVA's modules (5 oscillator types, 4 HPFs, 5 LPFs and 3 envelope types) to their own SubZone. That way, with careful layout on the surface (I can just about fit it in on a C4), you can mix and match the different module components freely. I settled on a simple press to switch from one type to another, cycling round.

So for the LPFs, say, the SubZone navigation looks like this:
Code:
Zone "DIVA-LPF_LADDER"
/LPF_LADDER
DisplayUpperA5 FXParamNameDisplay 154 "LPF"
DisplayLowerA5 FXParamNameDisplay 154 "LADDER" 
RotaryA5 NoAction
RotaryPushA5 FXParam 147 [ 0.25 ]
RotaryPushA5 GoSubZone "DIVA-LPF_CASCADE" 
Code:
Zone "DIVA-LPF_CASCADE"
/LPF_CASCADE
DisplayLowerA5 FXParamNameDisplay 154 "CASCDE" 
RotaryA5 NoAction 
RotaryPushA5 FXParam 147 [ 0.5 ]
RotaryPushA5 GoSubZone "DIVA-LPF_MMODE"
Code:
Zone "DIVA-LPF_MMODE"
/LPF_MMODE
DisplayLowerA5 FXParamNameDisplay 154 "MMODE" 
RotaryA5 FXParam 154 [ (0.0001,0.01,0.03,0.06,0.2) ]
RotaryPushA5 FXParam 147 [ 0.75 ]
RotaryPushA5 GoSubZone "DIVA-LPF_BITE"
Code:
Zone "DIVA-LPF_BITE"
/LPF_BITE
DisplayUpperA5 FXParamNameDisplay 147 "LPF"
DisplayLowerA5 FXParamNameDisplay 147 "BITE"
RotaryA5 NoAction
RotaryPushA5 FXParam 147 [ 1.0 ]
RotaryPushA5 GoSubZone "DIVA-LPF_UHBIE"
Code:
Zone "DIVA-LPF_UHBIE"
/LPF_UHBIE
DisplayUpperA5 FXParamNameDisplay 267 "LPF"
DisplayLowerA5 FXParamNameDisplay 267 "UHBIE"
RotaryA5 FXParam 267 [ (0.0001,0.01,0.03,0.06,0.2) ]
RotaryPushA5 FXParam 147 [ 0.0 ]
RotaryPushA5 GoSubZone "DIVA-LPF_LADDER"
I've left out the actual control mapping for brevity, but you can see that pressing RotaryPushA5 will step you through the LPF types. This approach works equally well for the oscillators, HPFs and envelopes.

So far so good. The problem occurs when you've made your nifty selection of modules, programmed up a scorching patch and then switched to another track to fiddle with some other plugin. When you return to the DIVA track, your selection of modules won't be remembered (the sound will recall just fine), meaning that in order to continue programming you have to reselect the correct modules again.

The cure for this, as I see it, would be some mechanism that allows CSI to recognise that receiving (in the above example) FX parameter 147, value 0.75 means GoSubZone "DIVA-LPF_BITE". That way when you return to the track, the correct selection of modules appear on the surface (as they do on the screen).

The application of this mechanism has uses way beyond DIVA. It would allow recalling custom Zone layouts for any plugin where you get to pick module types, providing the module switching is exposed to the automation system.
I actually thought this happening was my very old MCU being... old! Would be good if CSI took a snapshot, somehow, on exit of a plugin and recalled on return. Sounds like a tricky thing to produce to a layman like my self though..
Old 11-16-2021, 11:07 AM   #1724
WaveTrans

Quote:
Unfortunately the routing window isn't handled the same way the mixer is for example, with an on and off state, and that 40293 action isn't ideal either. There's no real "toggle Routing window for last touched track" action and the routing window itself will automatically close once you click elsewhere in the GUI.

So that action is only meant to open the routing window and not close it. If you open the Reaper action list, highlight that action, and click the Run button, the window will open. Click the Run button a second time, and the window flashes shut and reopens. It's not a toggle. And there's no toggle action for it.

As a clumsy workaround, if you want to close the window, you may be able to run the actions to select next track and select previous track. I believe selecting any other track will automatically close the window, so if you select next, that should close it, then selecting previous again should restore the track selection.
I understand, thanks very much, will check this out.
WaveTrans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 12:47 PM   #1725
Cragster

What ? No love for my synths

Zebralette and Podolski ?? Haha
Cragster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 01:08 PM   #1726
FreeMind

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBased View Post
I have track-coloured X-touch scribble strips working.

Watch it in action: https://www.dropbox.com/s/07oefj9icj0lpwb/demo.mp4?dl=0

If you're on Windows with an X-touch, try it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ahqj40nn32...alpha.zip?dl=0

You'll need to use the included .mst file (or just add its new display type to your own, the rest is the same right now).

You also need to connect via the DIN MIDI in/out, and put your surface into "XCtrl" mode with "MIDI" (hold track Select #1 while powering up, then make changes with the two rotaries and press it again to save).

The catch is, while lots of stuff works as before (buttons, faders, LEDs, transport, jog wheel), some things need updating for XCtrl: Time display is broken, encoder feedback is messed up. Let me know what else.

This was tricky and I'm short on time, anybody else willing to pitch in for the rest?
I need a step by step tutorial on how to install this. i really want my X touch to work with colors!
Merely having two files, and no instructions does not help :/
FreeMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 06:22 AM   #1727
dbncreation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
Correct at this time, we will probably look into this soon.
Hi,
Any news for an ARM build ?

Maybe someone else compiled a working version for apple M1 ?

I'm so frustrated that i can't use yet this wonderful tool on my Mac Mini...

If only i knew how to make a working version.

Thanks in advance !
dbncreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 06:41 AM   #1728
jmu0

Default apple m1 .dylib

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbncreation View Post
Hi,
Any news for an ARM build ?

Maybe someone else compiled a working version for apple M1 ?

I'm so frustrated that i can't use yet this wonderful tool on my Mac Mini...

If only i knew how to make a working version.

Thanks in advance !
Here you go.

Didn't have the chance to test it yet, but it shows up in the list when adding a control surface.

@geoff:

Compile error 1:
access denied when creating /Users/geoff... folder, changed it to something else.

Compile error 2:
in file WDL/swell/swell-types.h line 145
changed: typedef signed char BOOL;
to: typedef bool BOOL;

Let me know if it works
- Jos
Attached Files
File Type: zip reaper_csurf_integrator.dylib.zip (700.1 KB, 88 views)
jmu0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 06:33 PM   #1729
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmu0 View Post
Here you go.

Didn't have the chance to test it yet, but it shows up in the list when adding a control surface.

@geoff:

Compile error 1:
access denied when creating /Users/geoff... folder, changed it to something else.

Compile error 2:

Let me know if it works
- Jos
Woah, big thanks! Will check this out on my MBP!
Old 11-24-2021, 09:38 AM   #1730
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Here you go.

@geoff:

Compile error 1:

Compile error 2:

Let me know if it works
- Jos
Thanks for this !!

Did you use Xcode ?

If so, what version ?

The first error is likely because I have the output set to dump the dylib right into the Reaper resource path.

Error 2 looks like signed char is no more
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 09:38 AM   #1731
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Woah, big thanks! Will check this out on my MBP!
Please do let us know what you find !
Old 11-24-2021, 09:39 AM   #1732
Geoff Waddington

New build is up.

CSI v1_1.zip

This just synchs the 1.1 version to the current Exp state.
Old 11-24-2021, 10:10 AM   #1733
Funkybot

Quote:
Please do let us know what you find !
It works! Huge thanks to jmu0 for the compile! I've got CSI running on my M1 Macbook Pro. I'm using one of my tablets via OSC at the moment and no issues at all. I haven't tried any MIDI/MCU devices but I have no reason to believe they wouldn't work.

We've got an M1 build!
Old 11-24-2021, 10:29 AM   #1734
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
It works! Huge thanks to jmu0 for the compile! I've got CSI running on my M1 Macbook Pro. I'm using one of my tablets via OSC at the moment and no issues at all. I haven't tried any MIDI/MCU devices but I have no reason to believe they wouldn't work.

We've got an M1 build!
Cool !!

Uploaded to the stash

reaper_csurf_integratorM1.dylib.zip
Old 11-24-2021, 12:08 PM   #1735
jmu0

Quote:
Thanks for this !!

Did you use Xcode ?

If so, what version ?

The first error is likely because I have the output set to dump the dylib right into the Reaper resource path.

Error 2 looks like signed char is no more
Yes, I used xcode version 13.1 on macos 12.01.

In the project settings > build settings, the target path is set to your home directory (/Users/geoff...). If you change this to $HOME the first error should dissapear, it would just use the current user's home directory.

The WDL/swell files on justin's github seem to have more macos stuff. Do you think it will bite if you update them? Might fix error2..

- Jos
Old 11-24-2021, 12:30 PM   #1736
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Yes, I used xcode version 13.1 on macos 12.01.

In the project settings > build settings, the target path is set to your home directory (/Users/geoff...). If you change this to $HOME the first error should dissapear, it would just use the current user's home directory.

The WDL/swell files on justin's github seem to have more macos stuff. Do you think it will bite if you update them? Might fix error2..

- Jos
Cool, thanks.

Yes, I have the target path set that way on purpose, for convenience, don't know whether there is github etiquette I'm violating, but it's much more convenient for me, since I compile many times a day

As far as the WDL/swell stuff, yup, should update it.

Thanks again for your help !
Old 11-24-2021, 12:38 PM   #1737
jmu0

Quote:
Yes, I have the target path set that way on purpose, for convenience, don't know whether there is github etiquette I'm violating, but it's much more convenient for me, since I compile many times a day
Try: $HOME/Library/Application Support/REAPER/UserPlugins

- Jos
Old 11-24-2021, 12:39 PM   #1738
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Try: $HOME/Library/Application Support/REAPER/UserPlugins

- Jos
Thanks !!
Old 11-24-2021, 01:45 PM   #1739
Crown Hill Sound

I know this has been asked and answered already because I saw a post while digging into the CSI threads, but now my search skills are letting me down. Can anyone tell me how to calibrate the faders on my Faderport 8 so they reflect the gain value displayed on the scribble strip and the Reaper onscreen display? Currently, the physical faders show a level several dB lower than what appears on the screen. I seem to recall that it requires a tweak to the mst file, but I can't seem to find it. Thanks.
Crown Hill Sound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 02:11 PM   #1740
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Hill Sound View Post
I know this has been asked and answered already because I saw a post while digging into the CSI threads, but now my search skills are letting me down. Can anyone tell me how to calibrate the faders on my Faderport 8 so they reflect the gain value displayed on the scribble strip and the Reaper onscreen display? Currently, the physical faders show a level several dB lower than what appears on the screen. I seem to recall that it requires a tweak to the mst file, but I can't seem to find it. Thanks.
The tweak isn't to the .mst file it's to Reaper's preferences. Reaper allows you to set the maximum positive gain value for the faders. You want to set this so it matches your surface.

It's under Preferences -> Appearance -> Track Control Panels...down at the bottom is the volume fader range. So you were half-right! You knew there was an adjustment to make, you were just looking in the wrong place.

I'll add this to the CSI Wiki soon just to document it as it comes up every now and again.
Old 11-24-2021, 03:18 PM   #1741
Crown Hill Sound

Quote:
The tweak isn't to the .mst file it's to Reaper's preferences. Reaper allows you to set the maximum positive gain value for the faders. You want to set this so it matches your surface.

It's under Preferences -> Appearance -> Track Control Panels...down at the bottom is the volume fader range. So you were half-right! You knew there was an adjustment to make, you were just looking in the wrong place.

I'll add this to the CSI Wiki soon just to document it as it comes up every now and again.
Thanks!
Crown Hill Sound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 10:17 AM   #1742
galileon

Default XTOUCH + EXT

Hello.
Did anyone found how to run them with latest CSI? Looks like behringers are not respongin at all.

Regards
Rafal
galileon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 12:56 PM   #1743
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by galileon View Post
Hello.
Did anyone found how to run them with latest CSI? Looks like behringers are not respongin at all.

Regards
Rafal

What's the issue you're running into? I'd imagine the MCU and MCU XT files should work just fine. You'd add the X-Touch first using the MCU zone, then the Extender using the MXU XT zone + an offset of 8, then in theory it should work.

If something's not working, I think we'd know to more about what trouble you're running into.
Old 11-29-2021, 03:04 AM   #1744
dbncreation

Quote:
Here you go.

Let me know if it works
- Jos
Fantastic !
Just coming back from a week on tour and a christmas present is already there ;-)

I've just tested it on my Mac Mini M1 (reaper ARM) and no issues so far.

Thanks a lot !
dbncreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 04:52 AM   #1745
Silver

Default BCF2000 - Some FX work, some don't

Hi,

Funkybot has been trying to help me with this issue here: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=260358 , but unfortunately, despite using a CSI folder prepared by Funkybot, the issue remains.

There are three outcomes I have come across with a range of plugins from different manufacturers.

Outcome 1 - the plugin behaves as expected and can be controlled by the BCF2000

Outcome 2 - the BCF can call up the plugin, it jumps to the corresponding parameters on the plugin - but when a fader is moved, nothing happens on the plugin. For example, if I move a fader on the BCF, it has no result on the plugin and the fader stays where I place it after trying to see if it works. However, if I control a plugin parameter with my mouse, the BCF follows the action (faders move, buttons and rotary lights change).

Outcome 3 - the BCF can call up the plugin, it jumps to the corresponding parameters on the plugin - but when a fader is moved, nothing happens on the plugin. For example, if I move a fader on the BCF, it has no result on the plugin, but unlike outcome 2, when released the fader goes back to the place in line with the setting on the plugin. As above if I control a plugin parameter with my mouse, the BCF follows the action (faders move, buttons and rotary lights change).

There doesn't seem to be any kind of pattern to this. For example, one Soundtoys plugin will work, another will produce Outcome 2 or 3. SSL Native work with no problems. Waves produce Outcome 2. Izotope produce Outcome 3.

If anyone has any ideas for solving this, I would really appreciate it. It's very frustrating given that some plugins work fine. Thanks in advance.
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 06:13 AM   #1746
cjewellstudios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Hi,

Funkybot has been trying to help me with this issue...
I skimmed the thread and read your comment here.

I suspect, like Funkybot said, that at least some of the problems you are seeing have to do with the waveshell and using vst3 versions.

I didn't see you say in the other thread if you swapped everything to vst2 or not. Did you?

I've probably mapped around 100 plugins thus far and I have came across a few that just have issues. Ironically, the main reaper plugins have parameter weighting problems making it impossible to map (thanks Dan Worrall ) and I've seen issues similar to yours with VST3 versions and Waves in particular. A majority have worked, though. I'm just saying it's possible that maybe you found a few that don't.

It's also possible you have something else going on, but I dont know what that could be.

Part of your troubleshooting could also be to try to map the plugin using native midi learn to see if you have the same issues. (In case you don't realize, you would have to enable your bcf in midi devices again and take that surface out of CSI when you try this)
cjewellstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 07:28 AM   #1747
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjewellstudios View Post
Part of your troubleshooting could also be to try to map the plugin using native midi learn to see if you have the same issues. (In case you don't realize, you would have to enable your bcf in midi devices again and take that surface out of CSI when you try this)
Thanks, I tried that but not getting any reaction on any plugins. I followed Kenny's video 'setting up an FX Plugin controller. The BCF controls reaper - faders/pans/mute/transport - but when I touch an FX parameter, click on 'Learn' nothing happens when I move a fader on the BCF.
Old 12-09-2021, 01:50 AM   #1748
Silver

I have discovered something new - CLA76 works in some projects but not in others. It also doesn't work if I start a new project. So it seems to be something to do with Reaper, but I have no idea what.
Old 12-09-2021, 08:21 AM   #1749
Geoff Waddington

Ok, time for that semi-annual donation drive

For those who have contributed, and do contribute, a heartfelt thanks from the CSI community !

For those who find CSI useful, please consider donating, no amount is too small, we graciously accept all donations.

Thanks to the whole CSI community and of course, Reaper, which makes all of this possible !
Old 12-09-2021, 08:26 AM   #1750
Silver

Quote:
Ok, time for that semi-annual donation drive

For those who have contributed, and do contribute, a heartfelt thanks from the CSI community !

For those who find CSI useful, please consider donating, no amount is too small, we graciously accept all donations.

Thanks to the whole CSI community and of course, Reaper, which makes all of this possible !
I'll be more than happy to contribute if I can get it working.
Old 12-09-2021, 09:19 AM   #1751
Funkybot

Quote:
I have discovered something new - CLA76 works in some projects but not in others. It also doesn't work if I start a new project. So it seems to be something to do with Reaper, but I have no idea what.
I mean, if it's not working with ReaLearn and not working entirely in some instances, I think we can say this is a CLA-76 thing, not a CSI thing.

Are you running the latest version? Hopefully. If so, I'd contact Waves support assuming you're still entitled. I hate Waves with their WUP nonsense and waveshell (I read that as Waves Hell) and avoid using their stuff where I can. So if they want to charge your $30 to upgrade, I'd advise you to find a different 1176 plugin. Lots of good ones out there.
Old 12-09-2021, 09:23 AM   #1752
Silver

Quote:
I mean, if it's not working with ReaLearn and not working entirely in some instances, I think we can say this is a CLA-76 thing, not a CSI thing.

Are you running the latest version? Hopefully. If so, I'd contact Waves support assuming you're still entitled. I hate Waves with their WUP nonsense and waveshell (I read that as Waves Hell) and avoid using their stuff where I can. So if they want to charge your $30 to upgrade, I'd advise you to find a different 1176 plugin. Lots of good ones out there.
Sorry, Funkybot - perhaps I wasn't clear - I was using the CLA76 as an example. There are a range of plugins from different manufacturers that work in some projects but don't work in others and also don't work when I start a new project. If they work in some projects but not others then I don't think it's the manufacturers' fault.

Tomorrow, I will remove Reaper entirely from my system and I will do a fresh install. I'll report back here after that.
Old 12-09-2021, 09:38 AM   #1753
Funkybot

Quote:
Sorry, Funkybot - perhaps I wasn't clear - I was using the CLA76 as an example. There are a range of plugins from different manufacturers that work in some projects but don't work in others and also don't work when I start a new project. If they work in some projects but not others then I don't think it's the manufacturers' fault.

Tomorrow, I will remove Reaper entirely from my system and I will do a fresh install. I'll report back here after that.
Can you confirm that you're using CSI v1.1? I think I asked a few times but don't recall getting confirmation. Additionally, can you post screen prints of:

1. Reaper's preferences -> MIDI Devices - showing the in/out ports for the BCF
2. Reaper's preferences -> Control/OSC/Web showing CSI and any other surfaces
3. CSI Settings for your surface showing the MIDI ports, zone folders, etc.
4. The exact name of the CLA plugins in your browser?

Also, how are you activating the FX maps? Your CSI zone files indicated there was an FX Menu but your surface doesn't have displays. This is another question I had about your setup. Why is it referencing displays you don't have? How are you activating things?

I'm sorry it's a lot of questions, but go through these one by one. It may point to something.
Old 12-09-2021, 01:30 PM   #1754
Silver

Quote:
Can you confirm that you're using CSI v1.1? I think I asked a few times but don't recall getting confirmation. Additionally, can you post screen prints of:

1. Reaper's preferences -> MIDI Devices - showing the in/out ports for the BCF
2. Reaper's preferences -> Control/OSC/Web showing CSI and any other surfaces
3. CSI Settings for your surface showing the MIDI ports, zone folders, etc.
4. The exact name of the CLA plugins in your browser?

Also, how are you activating the FX maps? Your CSI zone files indicated there was an FX Menu but your surface doesn't have displays. This is another question I had about your setup. Why is it referencing displays you don't have? How are you activating things?

I'm sorry it's a lot of questions, but go through these one by one. It may point to something.
No problem for all the questions.

I can confirm that I am using CSI v1.1. I have attached all the requested screenshots in the zip folder.

When it comes to fx.zons and activation, I used the templates you created. I used the CSI folder you sent me and have merely added .zon files to the FX_Zones folder. The previous folders containing reference to displays were included with the original download of CSI v1.1 Zip which I downloaded from the Reaper Stash.

When it comes to CLA (or any other plugins) I can confirm that the name used in each fx.zon file matches exactly the name of the plugin shown in the FX browser.

I would like to get away from focusing on the CLA plugin. As I said before, I was referring to it as an example. So far, I experience the same problem with plugins from Waves, Soundtoys and Izotope.

As I discovered today, the above plugins work in some of my projects and in others they do not. The above plugins do not work when I open a new project.

I have plugins from Klanghelm, Mastering the Mix, PluginAlliance, Sir Audio and SSL which all work 100% of the time, in existing projects as well as when opening a new project in Reaper.

I am by no means a computer/software expert, but I am willing to try anything to get this to work. I just can't help feeling that this is not a plugin manufacturer's problem.

It's getting late here now, so I won't attempt a Reaper fresh install until tomorrow.

I am on Reaper 6.42 with Win 10 Pro. I've been using Reaper since version 3.

Many thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Screenshots for Funkybot.zip (179.6 KB, 76 views)
Old 12-09-2021, 02:16 PM   #1755
Funkybot

Ok, I don't see anything that sticks out as incorrect in your setup. So that rules that out.

Let's put CLA-76 aside for a moment. Do you have the VST2 version of Soundtoys installed? Try this out...

Code:
Zone "VST: Decapitator (Soundtoys)" "Decapitator"
FocusedFXNavigator
     Fader1         FXParam 1 "Style"
     Fader2         FXParam 2 "Drive"
     Fader3         FXParam 4 "LowCut"
     Fader4         FXParam 5 "Tone"
     Fader5         FXParam 6 "HighCut"
     Fader6         FXParam 11 "OutputTrim"
     Fader7         NoAction
     Fader8         NoAction
     Rotary1        NoAction
     Rotary2        NoAction  
     Rotary3        NoAction  
     Rotary4        NoAction  
     Rotary5        NoAction  
     Rotary6        NoAction  
     Rotary7        NoAction  
     Rotary8        FXParam 7 "Mix"
     RotaryPush1    NoAction
     RotaryPush2    NoAction
     RotaryPush3    NoAction
     RotaryPush4    NoAction
     RotaryPush5    NoAction
     RotaryPush6    NoAction
     RotaryPush7    NoAction
     RotaryPush8    NoAction
     Mute1          FXParam 8 "AutoGain"
     Mute2          NoAction
     Mute3          NoAction
     Mute4          NoAction
     Mute5          NoAction
     Mute6          NoAction
     Mute7          NoAction
     Mute8          NoAction
     Solo1          NoAction
     Solo2          NoAction
     Solo3          NoAction
     Solo4          NoAction
     Solo5          NoAction
     Solo6          NoAction
     Solo7          NoAction
     Solo8          FXParam 0 [ 0.0 1.0 ] "Bypass"
ZoneEnd
Does that work?
Old 12-09-2021, 02:49 PM   #1756
Silver

I have VST version of Decapitator.

I loaded in the code from your post.

When the FX is in view, the BCF jumps into position.

Fader 1 works
Fader2 - when pushed up, Fader 6 comes down at the same time (like they are linked if that makes sense)
Fader3 works
Fader 4 works
Fader 5 works
Fader 6 works (without any effect on Fader 2)

Rotary8 works

Mute1 works but no toggle as there is no [ 0.0 1.0]

Solo8 - bypass works.

This was tried in a new project.

I then tried it in an existing project and

Fader1 works but Fader6 comes down about 2 notches.
Fader2 same as above.

All other controls work as expected.

And now for a strange thing - I'm still in an existing project - I had to leave the FX focus several times as I am typing this whilst trying it out in Reaper. And it is now responding correctly all of a sudden.

Going back to open a new project.

New project opened - Decaptitator inserted - Fader 2 is moving Fader 6 at the same time. And then, after a few moments it works ok.

Still in new project - opening a 2nd track and inserting Decapitator - Same situation, moving Fader2 makes Fader6 move. Then after a while, it works as it should.
Old 12-09-2021, 03:05 PM   #1757
Funkybot

Quote:
I have VST version of Decapitator.

I loaded in the code from your post.

When the FX is in view, the BCF jumps into position.
So far so good.

Quote:
Fader2 - when pushed up, Fader 6 comes down at the same time (like they are linked if that makes sense)

Fader 6 works (without any effect on Fader 2)
Ok...there's no reason I can think of at all why that would be happening. Anyone?

Is there a factory reset procedure for the hardware? If yes, I'd probably do that.

Quote:
Mute1 works but no toggle as there is no [ 0.0 1.0]
Yep, sorry. Add that.

Quote:
This was tried in a new project.

I then tried it in an existing project and

Fader1 works but Fader6 comes down about 2 notches.
Fader2 same as above.
Ok, I'm not sure how else that could be possible.

Do you have any weird startup scripts running? Any other "MIDI Learn" type of effects, scripts, or mappings? No MIDI loopback type drivers (like BOME) running on the BCF? Anything odd like that?

Instead of tossing out your current Reaper install, try this, do a Reaper Portable Install, and set it up in a different directory like C:\Reaper Test\. Then, using all the default Reaper settings, setup CSI, setup your VST folders, then try things out.

Any improvement?

Last edited by Funkybot; 12-09-2021 at 03:13 PM.
Old 12-09-2021, 03:49 PM   #1758
Silver

Portable Install

Decapitator in existing project - Moving Fader1 o r2 causes Fader6 to move at the same time (and of course the Output parameter on the plugin). Everything else is ok. I waited quite some time but no change in the situation.

Decapitator in new project (Portable Install) - Fader1 works
Fader2 makes Fader 6 (and output) move
After some time - all controls working as they should.
Adding Track 2 in new project - same situation as Track 1 - Fader1 works - Fader2 causes Fader6 to move all other controls work as they should.
Waited quite some time but no change in the situation.

Just for fun I added VST3 CLA76 stereo - all controls working
I then added VST3 CLA76 mono - not one single control works.

Then VST CLA76 mono - Fader 1 +2 assigned to input/output are moving the attack and release
VST CLA76 Stereo - same result as VST CLA76 mono

Then VST3 Vitamin stereo - all controls working
VST3 Vitamin Mono - all controls working

Back to Decapitator (without removing any of the FX added) - Same result - moving Fader2 makes Fader6 move.

Just to confirm - all of the above carried out in a new project on Reaper Portable install.
Old 12-09-2021, 06:02 PM   #1759
cjewellstudios

Quote:
Portable Install

Decapitator in existing project - Moving Fader1 o r2 causes Fader6 to move at the same time (and of course the Output parameter on the plugin). Everything else is ok. I waited quite some time but no change in the situation.

Decapitator in new project (Portable Install) - Fader1 works
After some time - all controls working as they should.
Adding Track 2 in new project - same situation as Track 1 - Fader1 works - Fader2 causes Fader6 to move all other controls work as they should.
Waited quite some time but no change in the situation.

Just for fun I added VST3 CLA76 stereo - all controls working
I then added VST3 CLA76 mono - not one single control works.

Then VST CLA76 mono - Fader 1 +2 assigned to input/output are moving the attack and release
VST CLA76 Stereo - same result as VST CLA76 mono

Then VST3 Vitamin stereo - all controls working
VST3 Vitamin Mono - all controls working

Back to Decapitator (without removing any of the FX added) - Same result - moving Fader2 makes Fader6 move.

Just to confirm - all of the above carried out in a new project on Reaper Portable install.
Have you shown your .mst files? Maybe fader2 and fader6 are incorrect there?

Alternatively, search CSI in the action list, toggle on both "show output to surfaces" and "show input from surfaces" and do these tests to better see what's going on. It's going to show all the activity happening in and out, so it's going to slow things down and all that but it should give you a better idea of what's happening.
cjewellstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 10:12 PM   #1760
Funkybot

Quote:
Portable Install
I just opened Decapitator and tried here.

This behavior you're seeing is 100% working as expected! Why? With the "Auto" switch enabled in Decapitator, increasing the drive (Fader 2) decreases the Output Trim (Fader 6). You can even see them move in tandem on the GUI. If you flick AutoGain to off, it stops.

It's just gain compensation. One goes up, the other goes down. That's why both faders move.