Old 11-20-2021, 05:27 PM   #1
icarusi
Human being with feelings

Default string arrangement generator

I was messing about today with some midi string arrangements, which had 4 violin voices , 4 cello voices and string bass. Originally it was 3 voices of violin and cello with the 1st voice of each having a melody line, and the other 2 voices using midi plugins for 'transpose' and 'snap-to-key', to create the 2 harmony lines. I was copying and pasting the melody line to each of the voices, but I was feeding the midi output of voices 2 & 3 to the input of voice 1 where the VST plugin was. Today I was attempting to avoid the copy/paste and also add an extra voice to each section.

I ended up with some more extra tracks 'melody', and 'violin section 1', 'violin section 2' and 'cello section' where the VSTs are now. The 'melody' track initially fed into the 1st voice of each section, but muting that voice muted all the voices, so I switched it to 'section' tracks. The 'section' tracks take the midi from the 'melody' track then send it to the voices tracks, which send their midi back to the 'section' track and out through their VSTs and FX plugins. 'Violin section 2' is just a duplicate of section 1, with a midi transpose plugin, so I can get an extra 4 voices an octave above, or below section 1.

The best way to set these up is to start with just 3 voices, and make sure the 'melody' monophonic midi line is generating acceptable harmonies, and that you can mute/solo each voice track without muting/soloing the others.

This setup is obviously good for quickly getting a big harmony sound, but I think to get variation melody lines for the various sections, it's going to be simpler to add extra midi tracks, connect them in to the right places, and mute the voices you don't need, rather than trying to break in and reroute what's already working. That's my plan anyway!

Last edited by icarusi; 11-20-2021 at 05:36 PM.
icarusi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 06:10 PM   #2
icarusi

Does anyone know how to get a midi output render from a track which is receiving midi routing from another track? I can only seem to get a midi render from a track which already has a midi track visibly on it. I can render the multiple tracks to audio with no specific audio tracks present, just the inputs to the VSTs, but not to midi. I tried putting those tracks into record, but only get blank 'midi' recording, even though the 'track' is passing through the 'midi' data to the VST on another track.
Old 11-29-2021, 12:30 AM   #3
TonE

Just record midi output, not midi input. (Arm button, right click, find there)
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 06:02 PM   #4
icarusi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
Just record midi output, not midi input. (Arm button, right click, find there)
I get a 'midi' recording but no midi data, just a blank item. The midi 'data' routed to the tracks plays correctly via the VSTi, and associated midi-fx, but I can't get any midi data out from the track. Is there some fx/plugin where I can tap the modified midi streams, that the VSTi are operating with as inputs, and record or render it to an actual midi track item? Everything in this 'system' is derived from a single midi track, but produces 13 further tracks, many harmonised and transposed. I don't want to duplicate that single midi track, on 13 further tracks, just to do a render to midi of each track, to get the combined midi track. The audio renders correctly as expected, but there's no corresponding option I can see, to similarly render the midi streams (or Reaper equivalents) to a midi equivalent of the audio render.
Old 12-03-2021, 11:09 AM   #5
TonE

Some vst (like for example pizmidi midiConverter3) might behave differently. Try this:
1. Click to 2 in 2 out
2. Click to IO button
3. Select from menu, MIDI output, Merges with MIDI bus

Which fx are you using? Then someone else, having same fx might help as well. Good luck, friend.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote