Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 12-02-2017, 06:10 AM   #1
BlessedOne72
Human being with feelings

Default (NOT REAPER RELATED) / FIRESTUDIO PROJECT / LINUX

Anyone here having FIRESTUDIO project working on Linux-platform ;

So far I've tried Ubuntu Studio 17 and KXStudio .

When I boot my PC, the connection LED is red ; When the OS is fully up, the LED goes to blue for a short moment and then returns back to constant red .

When I open e.g Ardour 5 the ALSA Audio System sees the device (Input / Output device : FireStudio Project),

but when I click to start the audio system I get, "Failed to open audio device ."

Please some detailed info / guides here ... I'm quite a noob to Linux ;
Attached Images
File Type: png PRESONUS FIRESTUDIO PROJECT UBUNTU STUDIO ARDOUR 5.png (39.5 KB, 192 views)
BlessedOne72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:09 AM   #2
BlessedOne72

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedOne72 View Post

When I boot my PC, the connection LED is red ; When the OS is fully up, the LED goes to blue for a short moment and then returns back to constant red .

When I open e.g Ardour 5 the ALSA Audio System sees the device (Input / Output device : FireStudio Project),

but when I click to start the audio system I get, "Failed to open audio device ."

Anyone, Anything ... ???
BlessedOne72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:06 AM   #3
vidilididu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedOne72 View Post

any update on how good this device works under Linux?
vidilididu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:16 AM   #4
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidilididu View Post
any update on how good this device works under Linux?
Looks like the issue is that ALSA firewire and FFADO don't coexist because the port can only be claimed once.

Here's a link to a thread where some folks got it working by disabling one or the other ways to access the device.

https://discourse.ardour.org/t/preso...-project/89215

-
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:22 AM   #5
vidilididu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Looks like the issue is that ALSA firewire and FFADO don't coexist because the port can only be claimed once.

Here's a link to a thread where some folks got it working by disabling one or the other ways to access the device.

https://discourse.ardour.org/t/preso...-project/89215

-
yea, I know about this problem. I have a dice based interface myself. I wondered if the Presonus works well with the Alsa driver since I would like to switch to Pipewire. But it seams that the alsa driver for dice is the problem (only usefull at higher latencies)
Old 10-30-2020, 08:11 AM   #6
Glennbo

Quote:
yea, I know about this problem. I have a dice based interface myself. I wondered if the Presonus works well with the Alsa driver since I would like to switch to Pipewire. But it seams that the alsa driver for dice is the problem (only usefull at higher latencies)
I wonder if the person who posted this,

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M8t...ew?usp=sharing

had also done the usual tweaking for low latency in Linux as well. Also, they were using a bit depth of 32 which I would have had set for 24 bit.

When I first switched to Linux two years ago I couldn't get anything lower than 512 with my M-Audio Delta 2496 cards, but Jack Winter walked me through a few tweaks and I was then able to use a block size of 64, just like I had been doing with the same cards in Windows.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=210218

Things that improved the performance for me were using a low latency kernel, setting my user limits for unlimited memory and permission to run real time processes, plus raising the priority of the IRQ servicing my audio interface which is now a Behringer UMC1820 connected over USB.

-
Old 10-30-2020, 08:44 AM   #7
vidilididu

Quote:
I wonder if the person who posted this,

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M8t...ew?usp=sharing

had also done the usual tweaking for low latency in Linux as well. Also, they were using a bit depth of 32 which I would have had set for 24 bit.

When I first switched to Linux two years ago I couldn't get anything lower than 512 with my M-Audio Delta 2496 cards, but Jack Winter walked me through a few tweaks and I was then able to use a block size of 64, just like I had been doing with the same cards in Windows.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=210218

Things that improved the performance for me were using a low latency kernel, setting my user limits for unlimited memory and permission to run real time processes, plus raising the priority of the IRQ servicing my audio interface which is now a Behringer UMC1820 connected over USB.

-
I know what you mean, but still the interface should be totaly startable with 128 periods, even untweaked. with Ffado I can run my dice based interface with 16 periods (for normal playback), with the alsa driver I get cracking sound.
the alsa dice driver realy is bad, and there is no hope that it will be good one day, since the chip is outdated
Old 10-30-2020, 08:50 AM   #8
Glennbo

Quote:
I know what you mean, but still the interface should be totaly startable with 128 periods, even untweaked. with Ffado I can run my dice based interface with 16 periods (for normal playback), with the alsa driver I get cracking sound.
the alsa dice driver realy is bad, and there is no hope that it will be good one day, since the chip is outdated
Well, that is a possibility with older hardware. When I was still using my two M-Audio Delta 2496 cards, I was forced to use JACK because I could never get midi to work with ALSA, plus to make both cards available to REAPER I had to use the patchbay in jackd to add the second card to the first. I just rolled with it until buying the Behringer UMC1820 I use now, which functions great using ALSA for audio and midi.
Old 10-30-2020, 12:07 PM   #9
vidilididu

Quote:
Behringer UMC1820 I use now, which functions great using ALSA for audio and midi.
nice ;-)