Old 07-12-2010, 11:28 AM   #441
cheesesteak
Human being with feelings

Maybe I'm just dumb but... I installed ReaMenus a couple of weeks ago and I might actually like Reaper's native menus better. On the old menu, if I want to copy and paste, I right click on and item and choose "copy selected item". Then I right click on where I want it to go and click "Paste". On Reamenus there are no simple copy and paste commands on the ::Editing:: Clipboard submenu. I'm a right click kind of guy, not a ctrl-this, ctrl-that kind of guy. So am I somehow missing the right click copy and paste options on Reamenus or do I have to do ctrl-c and ctrl-c or bassackwards my way into the old menu?
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:37 AM   #442
technogremlin

In the menu editor there is an option to restore the default menus in one go. You can also, as an alternative, have the original menus added to the custom menuset as one option at the end of each menu.

I use the last option as I like the ReaMenus but also am missing quite a lot of stuff. I'm thinking to use this combined setup and gradually add the stuff I miss to the ReaMenu set and after that switching of the inclusion of the default menus.
technogremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:38 AM   #443
EvilDragon

Huh, that's honestly weird. Ctrl+C, Ctrl+X, Ctrl+V are STAPLES of modern computing!
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:47 AM   #444
technogremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Huh, that's honestly weird. Ctrl+C, Ctrl+X, Ctrl+V are STAPLES of modern computing!
I agree, but the fact that these options are on just about every edit-menu and right-click menu in most software, also stands for something. Graphical desktops (like windows) have always focused on lowering the learning-curve by substituting keyboard driven control by visual mouse control.

I totally get the 'I'm a guru, I know my shortcuts' way of thinking (and working) as it makes for a very fast workflow. But for myself I'm more like building macros from loads of shortcuts and then putting them into a button-bar so I can click on them
technogremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:50 AM   #445
Mike Stop Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Maybe I'm just dumb but... I installed ReaMenus a couple of weeks ago and I might actually like Reaper's native menus better. On the old menu, if I want to copy and paste, I right click on and item and choose "copy selected item". Then I right click on where I want it to go and click "Paste". On Reamenus there are no simple copy and paste commands on the ::Editing:: Clipboard submenu. I'm a right click kind of guy, not a ctrl-this, ctrl-that kind of guy. So am I somehow missing the right click copy and paste options on Reamenus or do I have to do ctrl-c and ctrl-c or bassackwards my way into the old menu?
I'm sure you've gotten so good at right clicking that you don't need to do it for a while. What if you just tried to add some "shortcuts" to your life, strictly on an experimental basis, and only kept the ones that you enjoy using?

CUT: ctrl+X
COPY: ctrl+C
PASTE: ctrl+V

My best friend's only got two fingers on his left hand, and he still manages to make use of them while he right is mousing this way and that. In my experience, it's as easy to remember ctrl+C = copy as it is to remember that shift+A = capitol A.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:53 AM   #446
EvilDragon

Mike, there's quite a new number of actions due in 3.64 you might wanna update to #008
Old 07-12-2010, 11:58 AM   #447
Mike Stop Continues

Quote:
Mike, there's quite a new number of actions due in 3.64 you might wanna update to #008
I've been itching for an update! I'm waiting to roll out the new awesome Options options (context, options menu, both) (compressed, uncompressed-classic). Also, I have to do a bug fix for the protect-above/below.

I'll do a request call once the update's released.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:03 PM   #448
tombuur

As a newcomer I really loves these menus. Almost installed them immediately. They should be the default, the current ones may scare away new users. And not all may come across ReaMenus before they leave.
tombuur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:51 PM   #449
karashnaho

Default Sticky

This is great!! how do we get it as a sticky?
karashnaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:59 PM   #450
cheesesteak

Quote:
I understand the ctrl-c, x and v keyboard commands. I've used them forever. However, most gui user interfaces provide alternative context menus for those same functions and I find those context menus much easier to use. I know Reaper has a zillion and one keyboard shortcuts but frankly, having to memorize special keystrokes for shit I can just click on isn't something I want to do. Reamenus removing such simple commands is a takeaway. For what I need from a DAW, I shouldn't have to use the keyboard for anything more than typing in track titles, notes and pressing the spacebar to trigger playback. Everything else is driven by the mouse. As ridiculous as you may find me wanting to use context menus to do such simple tasks as cutting and pasting, I find it ridiculous that people still use ctrl-whatever in a gui environment. Believe me, I go back to MS Dos 1.1. Right clicking is better. At least for me.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:06 PM   #451
Smurf

Personally, I like the fact that the OLD menus are kept at the bottom of these menus....Mike, if you do not get the recognition that, Geoffrey, SWS or WT gets for their great contribution to making Reaper more usable, then something is wrong somewhere!

Come on Powers-That-Be, sticky this thread NOW! LOL!
Old 07-12-2010, 02:08 PM   #452
Death Valley Yacht Club

Quote:
....special keystrokes for shit I can just click on isn't something I want to do. Reamenus removing such simple commands is a takeaway.
I agree with cheesesteak. I use ReaMenus and like it a lot but I've customized mine to put the copy and paste back into the top-level menus when I right click on items or empty tracks areas.

All of you who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
Death Valley Yacht Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:10 PM   #453
audioguytodd

Sticky please!!!!!!!!
Old 07-12-2010, 03:40 PM   #454
Bevosss

Quote:
Ha ha, I pointed this out when they were introduced, and Mike said then they can use the keyboard instead...I just knew someone was going to miss it.

Fwiw I use the kbd shortcuts 99% of the time, but I can think of at least 2 common cases where you wouldn't:

1. You have a drink in your left hand

2. Your keyboard has a broken key (dont laugh, I spilled coffee on my iMac keyboard 6 months ago, lost a couple of keys, ended writing a script so that F13 is space...if I was going to replace it, Id want the new wireless which wont work on the bootcamp beta, so Id also have to update the OS too...not my daw machine so its not that urgent, but you can see what I mean, there is always an exception.

I also notice most of the tutorials made always seem to use the mouse rather than keyboard shortcuts, so this is probably a reason also all daws (or programs for that matter) have the cut/copy/paste commands in the menus.

I like Reamenus but Im still a lot faster with the default, I need to find the time to retrain.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:38 AM   #455
bblue

I have to agree with the OP as well. Just about every program I've used over the years has had those (obvious) keyboard shortcuts at the very least in the edit menu. I use as many shortcuts as I can remember on a regular basis.

But there are times when I'm being lazy or tired and leaning on my left elbow, that it's just plain easier to right click. :-) Seriously!

It would be really nice to see some of the basic shortcuts return to ReaMenus.

--Bill
bblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:44 AM   #456
bblue

I have to agree with the OP as well. Just about every program I've used over the years has had those (obvious) keyboard shortcuts at the very least in the edit menu. I use as many shortcuts as I can remember on a regular basis.

But there are times when I'm being lazy or tired and leaning on my left elbow, that it's just plain easier to right click. :-) Seriously!

It would be really nice to see some of the basic shortcuts return to ReaMenus.

--Bill
bblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:59 AM   #457
EvilDragon

I kinda think that would be waste of space, but oh well...

At least now you can edit your ReaMenus and splice your edits back to where they belong. I know I wouldn't want Cut/Copy/Paste back in context menus. My left hand is constantly around Ctrl area, it's just the way I got used to work. Not only in Reaper, but in all other programs.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:25 AM   #458
cheesesteak

Guess I'll have to figure out how to customize Reamenus to add the basic cut/copy/paste actions. Then again, I bet I only use less than 10% of Reaper's available menu items anyway, so I might as well switch back to the default menus. I didn't have a problem with them in the first place. I just thought Reamenus seemed cool.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:24 AM   #459
Mike Stop Continues

It seems there's an, if kind of silly, use case for copy/cut/paste back on the menus. The thing is this: What I cannot do is put those actions back on the menu outside of a submenu. That would seriously be a waste. Already, the item context has a clipboard submenu. I could add a clipboard submenu to the track/envelope/midi contexts if there is really a call for it and ONLY if that would satiate those of you who'd like to see them back on the menus.

If what would please you is to have those commands outside of a submenu, I suggest you add the actions to the top of you Reamenus above a separator named #protect-above. You can do the same thing at the bottom of your menus with #protect-below.

That way, you can use the splicer to update your reamenus and keep your custom commands. (There's more info on splicing on the page.)

You'll have a hard time convincing anybody that right-clicking is better than ctrl-c/ctrl-v though. I use a LOT of shortcuts and I know that not everyone realizes how easy it is to collect muscle memories, but even my grandmother ctrl-copies. lol
Old 07-13-2010, 09:05 AM   #460
musicroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Stop Continues View Post
It seems there's an, if kind of silly, use case for copy/cut/paste back on the menus. The thing is this: What I cannot do is put those actions back on the menu outside of a submenu. That would seriously be a waste. Already, the item context has a clipboard submenu. I could add a clipboard submenu to the track/envelope/midi contexts if there is really a call for it and ONLY if that would satiate those of you who'd like to see them back on the menus.

If what would please you is to have those commands outside of a submenu, I suggest you add the actions to the top of you Reamenus above a separator named #protect-above. You can do the same thing at the bottom of your menus with #protect-below.

That way, you can use the splicer to update your reamenus and keep your custom commands. (There's more info on splicing on the page.)

You'll have a hard time convincing anybody that right-clicking is better than ctrl-c/ctrl-v though. I use a LOT of shortcuts and I know that not everyone realizes how easy it is to collect muscle memories, but even my grandmother ctrl-copies. lol

I think returning those editing staples would be a good idea for a future release. I love the reamenus and appreciate your deication and skill for making it available to me.

However, back to the couple of reasons I can think.

1) There are times when I am working one handed so to speak, and being able to use the mouse for simple tasks is what is needed. Simple as that.

2) New users, or "barely can use a computer" users take solace in the fact that no matter what program they are using, some things stay constant in the menus (save, save as, print, cut, copy, paste...)

2 cents
Old 07-13-2010, 09:28 AM   #461
roygbiv

here's another reason for Menu access to ALL commands, and not keyboard reliance:

Multi-touch surfaces.

I have a new multi-touch Tablet PC (what the iFad should have been), and it works great, except when you have to pull up the keyboard to do a ctrl-C, or whatever.

And I too go back to the MS-DOS 1.1 days. And even the Tandy/RadioShack TRS days. So its not like I'm afraid of a keyboard, its just that they may be slowly fading away with multi-touch surfaces.
roygbiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:44 AM   #462
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roygbiv View Post
here's another reason for Menu access to ALL commands, and not keyboard reliance:

Multi-touch surfaces.

I have a new multi-touch Tablet PC (what the iFad should have been), and it works great, except when you have to pull up the keyboard to do a ctrl-C, or whatever.

And I too go back to the MS-DOS 1.1 days. And even the Tandy/RadioShack TRS days. So its not like I'm afraid of a keyboard, its just that they may be slowly fading away with multi-touch surfaces.
That's a valid point.

Slightly OT but I still have my old grey case TRS80

Old 07-13-2010, 10:02 AM   #463
Mike Stop Continues

Give the people what they want! The Clipboard submenus will be in the 008 release. You've got it, all!

Keep the suggestions coming, friends! It's only the community menu set because we all care about them.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:09 PM   #464
frankielouis

Just loaded this into my reaper setup. works great . thanks for your work and desire. I am a fan.
frankielouis
frankielouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:05 AM   #465
musicroom

Quote:
Give the people what they want! The Clipboard submenus will be in the 008 release. You've got it, all!

Keep the suggestions coming, friends! It's only the community menu set because we all care about them.
Edit> I see this finally made sticky status! Great!

Thanks again Mike!
Old 07-14-2010, 09:09 AM   #466
EvilDragon

Quote:

You already have a Clipboard menu in item context menu, right? You would just add cut and copy there. Likewise, you can just add cut and copy in the Takes->Editing submenu.

Then you just need a Paste command in empty arrange view context. Right below Insert.

Or did you have something else in mind?
Old 07-14-2010, 01:13 PM   #467
Mike Stop Continues

When I add them, I'll look around for any useful special copy/cut/paste commands for the track, envelope, and midi contexts as well as the additions you pointed out for the item context.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:03 PM   #468
Smurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannii View Post
That's a valid point.

Slightly OT but I still have my old grey case TRS80

WOW! That brings back memories of tossing bananas & making animated butterfly's after days of typing....
Old 07-14-2010, 03:44 PM   #469
Fabian

Default IS it me or is it ReaMenus...?

I installed it, everything works fine and looks good, except... I cannot access the Actions dialog.

When I pull down the Actions menu, I have the "Action List..." check marked, but it doesn't give me the action dialog. Should it not? And choosing this "Action list..." option, whether from the menu or by the "?" short cut, changes nothing, not even the check mark. What's going on...?
Old 07-14-2010, 03:51 PM   #470
Mike Stop Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
I installed it, everything works fine and looks good, except... I cannot access the Actions dialog.

When I pull down the Actions menu, I have the "Action List..." check marked, but it doesn't give me the action dialog. Should it not? And choosing this "Action list..." option, whether from the menu or by the "?" short cut, changes nothing, not even the check mark. What's going on...?
That sounds like at some point you moved the action list in a concealed location. If it makes you feel better, you can reimport ReaMenus, but I'd wager restarting REAPER might be a better help. Someone who knows the exact values to delete in REAPER.ini can help you move your action list back to where it belongs.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:52 PM   #471
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Someone who knows the exact values to delete in REAPER.ini can help you move your action list back to where it belongs.
View/Cascade all floating windows would be the recommended way to fix that.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:57 PM   #472
Fabian

Quote:
That sounds like at some point you moved the action list in a concealed location. If it makes you feel better, you can reimport ReaMenus, but I'd wager restarting REAPER might be a better help. Someone who knows the exact values to delete in REAPER.ini can help you move your action list back to where it belongs.
yep, that was it... I changed in REAPER.ini
Code:
[action]
wnd_vis=1
wnd_left=361
wnd_top=350
wnd_width=570
wnd_height=434
to
Code:
[action]
wnd_vis=1
wnd_left=0
wnd_top=0
wnd_width=570
wnd_height=434
restarted Reaper and there the actions windows was, in the middle of the Reaper main window. Thanks a lot.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:56 AM   #473
Mike Stop Continues

Woo! Reaper 3.651 AND SWS 1.7.3#1 is out and that means it's time for ReaMenus 008.

Post your suggestions for which of the new actions you want on the menus and where. I'll be releasing the Menu Set on the Tuesday, July 20th with the Clipboard submenu and the super-cool Options options for the splicer.

Also, thanks for the sticky, moderators!

Last edited by Mike Stop Continues; 07-16-2010 at 06:11 AM. Reason: SWS extensions update
Mike Stop Continues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:45 PM   #474
JHughes
Banned

Congrats on getting stickied, it took long enough!
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:31 AM   #475
Mike Stop Continues

I've got some questions that need answers before I release 008:

1. The default names for REAPER actions dropped 'selected' in most cases. So instead of 'Copy selected items' it's now 'Copy items'. Should ReaMenus also drop the 'selected' (except, obviously, in places where it's absolutely required)?

2. The menus have definitely stabilized enough to create the alt-walk for all the menus. If you don't mind a few extra days and if there's any call for it, I'll be happy to make the necessary adjustments

3. Is there anyone who wouldn't feel comfortable if I replaced the standard Split actions (which, if you don't have anything selected, will split EVERYTHING) with the SWS Split actions that will ONLY split selected items? Have too many of you accidentally split items that were off the screen, only to discover much too late to undo?

Let me know soon!

(BTW, the new actions are great, especially Track locking, Track record paths, and Item mix behavior). And did you know that awesome Nudge... window can nudge the edit cursor?
Old 07-21-2010, 10:38 AM   #476
timlloyd

Just my opinion:

1) Yes, drop "selected" unless it's relevant
2) What is alt+walk?
3) Yes, replace them but *do not* assign key commands to them by default
timlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:50 AM   #477
EvilDragon

Do the Alt-walk!

Yes, assign the SWS split command. I have it assigned to keyboard already
Old 07-21-2010, 11:26 AM   #478
Kundalinguist

re; 1,2,3:

I agree with everything you say. You should think about a career in politics after this menu gig.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:28 AM   #479
tombuur

1 and 3 are okay with me.

Don't know what a kind of walk an alt-walk is. But if it is something Monthy Python like I am all for it.
Reaper 5, latest release, 64-bit w SWS |GA Z270 UD5|Intel i7 K7700|32 GB RAM|Fireface 800|500GB SSD sys, 1TB SSD Rec, 4TB HDD samples|Win 10 64bit|Dynaudio BM6A|Softube Console 1|Sonnox|Waves|Melda|Superior 3|Komplete 12U|Melodyne|Slate|Izotope.
tombuur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:39 AM   #480
EvilDragon

Alt-walk is when you press the Alt key, and advance through the menus by pressing the underlined letter in the name of the command.