Old 07-27-2021, 01:46 AM   #1
slowlearner
Human being with feelings

Default Behringer UMC404HD input dramas

Hi all,
Been using Reaper for ages and love it. I'm using Reaper 6.33 at the moment. I've just upgraded.

PC laptop running Windows 10.

After two M-audio disappointments (why don't they upgrade their drivers?), I've bought a UMC404HD. I've got most things to work on it except the inputs. None of the inputs are showing up as you make new tracks.
I have...

1. installed the Behringer drivers from their website.

2. Tried using ASIO. In the UMC control window, status tab, the "USB audio device" box is grey. As is Format tab, the "input box" (also grey)

3. Switched over to WASAPI. I could get one track to work, but not individual tracks and none of the input drop boxes show up on the tracks.

4. Uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers again.

No change.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Status.jpg (39.0 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg format.jpg (39.3 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg no input options.jpg (46.1 KB, 228 views)

Last edited by slowlearner; 07-27-2021 at 02:05 AM.
slowlearner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:05 AM   #2
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlearner View Post
... none of the input drop boxes show up on the tracks.
The mixer height and track panel sizes in the 'no input options.jpg' screenshot are currently too small to show all elements like the track input selector (in comparison: the [in] selector boxes in the screenshot are for selecting the record mode options).

One option to try is to set the inputs via Right-Click on the Track Record Arm Button instead.

Another option to try is to make the mixer height and track panel sizes bigger to see if more elements are shown this way.
Or to take a look at the available options in the Theme Adjuster to show/hide certain elements in the Track and Mixer panels:

Last edited by solger; 07-27-2021 at 10:54 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 03:48 PM   #3
slowlearner

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
The mixer height and track panel sizes in the 'no input options.jpg' screenshot are currently too small to show all elements like the track input selector (in comparison: the [in] selector boxes in the screenshot are for selecting the record mode options).

One option to try is to set the inputs via Right-Click on the Track Record Arm Button instead.

Another option to try is to make the mixer height and track panel sizes bigger to see if more elements are shown this way.
Or to take a look at the available options in the Theme Adjuster to show/hide certain elements in the Track and Mixer panels:
Hi Solger,

It's not the display. It's the inputs themselves. They don't appear. I've tried all the display options and they're just not there. A good friend has the UMC404HD too and he's downloaded reaper and set it up on his laptop. He has the drop down menu for the inputs on his tracks. I've set mine up the same, but it still doesn't work.
Old 07-27-2021, 05:56 PM   #4
akademie

Hi slowlearner,
do you have the card's hardware inputs "Enabled" at all in "REAPER Preferences > Audio > Device" ?

There is a checkmark "Enable inputs" to enable the inputs and also 2 dropdown menus for selecting the first and the last input of your audiocard.
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 11:37 PM   #5
slowlearner

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie View Post
Hi slowlearner,
do you have the card's hardware inputs "Enabled" at all in "REAPER Preferences > Audio > Device" ?

There is a checkmark "Enable inputs" to enable the inputs and also 2 dropdown menus for selecting the first and the last input of your audiocard.
Yes, that's all done.
Old 07-28-2021, 01:05 AM   #6
akademie

Then right-click the record arm button on the track to show menu and select "Input Mono" (or Stereo) and then list of available inputs.

Note: Inputs will not be visible if audio device is closed (like if you have open Preferences window on "Audio > Device" tab for example).

Here is the screenshot:
Old 07-28-2021, 05:18 AM   #7
slowlearner

Thank you! It's working!

Sorry for being such a dufus. :/
Old 07-31-2021, 05:24 AM   #8
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlearner View Post
Thank you! It's working!

Sorry for being such a dufus. :/
No problem
I'm glad it helped you to solve the problem.
Old 09-06-2021, 04:53 AM   #9
slowlearner

Hi everyone,
I've been loving the UMC404 and Reaper. I've been adding extra tracks to our videos for online church and it's been great. I've also used it to do two youtube livestreams.

However, today I upgraded Reaper to the latest version and I'm having an issue. I can't get enough gain when recording. Even with the channel on the UMC404 clipping, the level in a Reaper channel is never more than about -42db. Earlier today, I could get the Reaper channels to clip with too much input signal.

So far I have...
1. played with every possible adjustment on the UMC404 = No change.
2. looked through preferences in Reaper = no change.
3. checked all my inputs in the PC settings menu = no change.
4. Restarted the machine.
5. uninstalled and reinstalled the UMC404 = still no success.

Everything else on the interface works well, but I cannot get enough level in Reaper to record a proper track.

Thoughts?
Old 09-06-2021, 07:34 AM   #10
akademie

Try to "install" portable version of Reaper side by side to your main one.

Put it e.g. into "C:\REAPER_TEST" and try this clean Reaper.

Maybe your reaper.ini file has messed up somehow in audio-hardware section. This way you'll be able to tell (hopefully) if the problem is in Reaper's configuration (.ini file) or in audio device (hardware/setup/driver).
But I would bet that problem is in the .ini file. Or maybe you accidentally created a default track with inputFX insert which attenuates the signal..(?)
Old 09-06-2021, 04:57 PM   #11
slowlearner

Right, so I've just tried out the audio input into OBS, an app I use for live streams. I'm having the same issue there. So this is hardware related either in the PC or the UMC404. Hmmm...
Old 09-18-2021, 11:13 AM   #12
chip mcdonald

Are you seeing signal level (green and red leds) light up on the front of the UMC404?