Old 11-26-2018, 11:17 PM   #1
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Default Linux Sampler Project

Has anybody messed with this yet?

https://www.linuxsampler.org/about.html

I see that it can load gigasampler format files as well as sfz files, both of which I have a fairly good selection of. I also see that it has a backend engine that is decoupled from any frontend, so you can use different interfaces for it. One is written in C++ and the other is written in Java.

It looks like a fairly involved process to get all setup, but I'm thinking that once you get a frontend and backend talking to each other, along with all the midi and audio connections mapped out that you might be able to save it all as a track template in REAPER, so using it later down the line would be an easier task.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 11:31 PM   #2
osxmidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Has anybody messed with this yet?

https://www.linuxsampler.org/about.html

I see that it can load gigasampler format files as well as sfz files, both of which I have a fairly good selection of. I also see that it has a backend engine that is decoupled from any frontend, so you can use different interfaces for it. One is written in C++ and the other is written in Java.

It looks like a fairly involved process to get all setup, but I'm thinking that once you get a frontend and backend talking to each other, along with all the midi and audio connections mapped out that you might be able to save it all as a track template in REAPER, so using it later down the line would be an easier task.
The vst is a client/server sort of thing so it needs to be used in that sort of way and maybe it's a bit tricky to use at first but it's pretty simple to use once the basics are understood.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=210659
osxmidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:28 AM   #3
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxmidi View Post
The vst is a client/server sort of thing so it needs to be used in that sort of way and maybe it's a bit tricky to use at first but it's pretty simple to use once the basics are understood.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=210659
Thanks for the link.

So can you load up samples with this two piece arrangement and REAPER remembers what samples were loaded the next time you load your project, and if so do you have to even launch the front end interface once you've selected your samples?

If you have to manually load the front end every time you load a project, that would be sort of a kludge in my mind, but if you only need the front end long enough to select samples/routing or load it to make changes later, that wouldn't be too bad.

I looked for the download from the thread you posted the link to above, but it looks like it might no longer be there. It says Removed from disk on 2018-08-23. Removal requested on 2018-08-23.

https://answers.launchpad.net/~kxstu...-archive-extra

I did find this on the Linux Sampler home page, but looking at the guts of the file with Engrampa I'm not finding the .so file.

http://download.linuxsampler.org/pac...0.0-1_i386.deb
Old 11-27-2018, 09:47 AM   #4
Tobbe

Quote:
Thanks for the link.

So can you load up samples with this two piece arrangement and REAPER remembers what samples were loaded the next time you load your project, and if so do you have to even launch the front end interface once you've selected your samples?

If you have to manually load the front end every time you load a project, that would be sort of a kludge in my mind, but if you only need the front end long enough to select samples/routing or load it to make changes later, that wouldn't be too bad.

I looked for the download from the thread you posted the link to above, but it looks like it might no longer be there. It says Removed from disk on 2018-08-23. Removal requested on 2018-08-23.

https://answers.launchpad.net/~kxstu...-archive-extra

I did find this on the Linux Sampler home page, but looking at the guts of the file with Engrampa I'm not finding the .so file.

http://download.linuxsampler.org/pac...0.0-1_i386.deb
Hi,

In terminal:

apt search linuxsampler and make your choice

sudo apt install linuxsampler linuxsampler-vst (or linuxsampler-all) you get all the formats available.

I downloaded Fantasia from Linuxsampler site and put that into the same folder as .jsampler (gonna ask when you start LS for the first time, you need to create that folder if it doesn't exist). It's a bit of a hassle that it doesn't load Fantasia when you load the plugin in Reaper, you have to do it manually. In Windows it pops right up. You also need Java Runtime to use Fantasia. I wish someone could make a script or something that loads up Fantasia in Reaper.

More info here:
https://github.com/ccherrett/oom/wiki/Linuxsampler
Old 11-27-2018, 10:19 AM   #5
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbe View Post
Hi,

In terminal:

apt search linuxsampler and make your choice

sudo apt install linuxsampler linuxsampler-vst (or linuxsampler-all) you get all the formats available.
Thanks. This is weird. It looks like I can get the various front ends, but the backend server doesn't seem to be there. This is what I get back from issuing apt search linuxsampler in a terminal.

Full Text Search... Done
gigedit/bionic 1.1.0-2 amd64
instrument editor for Gigasampler files

liblscp-dev/bionic 0.6.0-1 amd64
Development files for LinuxSampler Control Protocol library

liblscp-doc/bionic,bionic 0.6.0-1 all
Documentation for LinuxSampler Control Protocol library

liblscp6/bionic 0.6.0-1 amd64
LinuxSampler Control Protocol wrapper library

qsampler/bionic 0.5.0-1build1 amd64
LinuxSampler GUI frontend based on the Qt toolkit

Issuing sudo apt install linuxsampler returns this.

Package linuxsampler is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

Quote:
I downloaded Fantasia from Linuxsampler site and put that into the same folder as .jsampler (gonna ask when you start LS for the first time, you need to create that folder if it doesn't exist). It's a bit of a hassle that it doesn't load Fantasia when you load the plugin in Reaper, you have to do it manually. In Windows it pops right up. You also need Java Runtime to use Fantasia. I wish someone could make a script or something that loads up Fantasia in Reaper.

More info here:
https://github.com/ccherrett/oom/wiki/Linuxsampler
So are you saying that using it in a project will require a manual startup of the frontend every time you load a project that uses Linuxsampler? If that's the case, I'll probably stick with the Windows plugin "Phenome" running in Wine and bridged, but I'd really prefer to get free from all Windows plugins and go 100% native with all Linux based plugins.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:51 AM   #6
Tobbe

Quote:
Thanks. This is weird. It looks like I can get the various front ends, but the backend server doesn't seem to be there. This is what I get back from issuing apt search linuxsampler in a terminal.

Full Text Search... Done
gigedit/bionic 1.1.0-2 amd64
instrument editor for Gigasampler files

liblscp-dev/bionic 0.6.0-1 amd64
Development files for LinuxSampler Control Protocol library

liblscp-doc/bionic,bionic 0.6.0-1 all
Documentation for LinuxSampler Control Protocol library

liblscp6/bionic 0.6.0-1 amd64
LinuxSampler Control Protocol wrapper library

qsampler/bionic 0.5.0-1build1 amd64
LinuxSampler GUI frontend based on the Qt toolkit

Issuing sudo apt install linuxsampler returns this.

Package linuxsampler is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

So are you saying that using it in a project will require a manual startup of the frontend every time you load a project that uses Linuxsampler? If that's the case, I'll probably stick with the Windows plugin "Phenome" running in Wine and bridged, but I'd really prefer to get free from all Windows plugins and go 100% native with all Linux based plugins.
- Yup for now it is so. I hope someone can do so it pops up as soon you load the plugin in Reaper, like other VSTi's. Fantasia is done in Java, ain't all JS plugins also done in Java I wonder?

Ok, install KXStudio Repositories: https://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/Repositories

follow and you shall find
Old 11-27-2018, 10:59 AM   #7
Glennbo

Quote:
- Yup for now it is so. I hope someone can do so it pops up as soon you load the plugin in Reaper, like other VSTi's. Fantasia is done in Java, ain't all JS plugins also done in Java I wonder?

Ok, install KXStudio Repositories: https://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/Repositories

follow and you shall find
Thanks again, and to make sure I'm clear on how it works, if one were to,

Start a new project in REAPER, add the server to an FX bin, manually load the frontend, select a sampled file, assign midi and audio so it plays, record something in REAPER, save the project and close REAPER.

Then, with nothing at all running, load REAPER, and load the project. At this point what you recorded won't play until you manually load the front end?

And if the latter is true, does it even remember any of the midi and audio routing, or do you have to manually patch all that stuff too every time you load a project that used Linuxsampler?
Old 11-27-2018, 11:15 AM   #8
Tobbe

Quote:
Thanks again, and to make sure I'm clear on how it works, if one were to,

Start a new project in REAPER, add the server to an FX bin, manually load the frontend, select a sampled file, assign midi and audio so it plays, record something in REAPER, save the project and close REAPER.

Then, with nothing at all running, load REAPER, and load the project. At this point what you recorded won't play until you manually load the front end?

And if the latter is true, does it even remember any of the midi and audio routing, or do you have to manually patch all that stuff too every time you load a project that used Linuxsampler?

I found a template here somewhere where everything is routed correctly.I got help from a user (dont remember who), how it works. Now I do this:

Start Reaper and load My template with 16 channel. Start Fantasia and it creates all channels same you have in Reaper. In Fantasia you load your soundfonts as many you need up to 16. When you play the keyboard in Fantasia you should see the same signal in Reaper. Save everything in Reaper when you are happy to a template.

If you want to user it again. Load the template first and then Fantasia.

Tidious job, I know. But we dont have anything else for Linux. Maybe you can taket a look at Linux Studio Plugin http://lsp-plug.in
Old 11-27-2018, 11:59 AM   #9
Glennbo

Quote:
I found a template here somewhere where everything is routed correctly.I got help from a user (dont remember who), how it works. Now I do this:

Start Reaper and load My template with 16 channel. Start Fantasia and it creates all channels same you have in Reaper. In Fantasia you load your soundfonts as many you need up to 16. When you play the keyboard in Fantasia you should see the same signal in Reaper. Save everything in Reaper when you are happy to a template.

If you want to user it again. Load the template first and then Fantasia.

Tidious job, I know. But we dont have anything else for Linux. Maybe you can taket a look at Linux Studio Plugin http://lsp-plug.in
OK, using a template sounds reasonable for starting and recording a project, but . . .

To load and playback a project that used Linuxsampler, do you have to manually load the frontend every time?

If you have to manually load the frontend to playback a saved project do you also have to lace up the midi and audio each time?

I'm getting the impression that nothing at all gets saved (except for the midi you recorded) and you are basically starting from scratch every time that you use it, whether recording something new or attempting to load and playback something that was recorded previously.

If the above statement is true, then it would be the equivalent to recording some midi with no instrument plugin and then saving the project, where every time you load the project, you have to go setup some instrument to play the midi back.

If loading a project with Linuxsampler doesn't remember what instruments were used, their midi channels, and the audio routing, it doesn't sound like I would want to use it.

Even though there is a performance hit using bridged Windows plugins that are running in Wine, they do at least make it so I can load a project and all the correct instruments load and are routed to the proper tracks where the song will playback exactly as it did the last time I worked on it.
Old 11-27-2018, 01:52 PM   #10
Tobbe

I need to try if you need to start Fantasia when the template is loaded in Reaper. I'll be back.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:19 PM   #11
Glennbo

Quote:
I need to try if you need to start Fantasia when the template is loaded in Reaper. I'll be back.
Cool. Thanks! If it can load the samples and their midi/audio routing without the need for the front end on a saved project, that would still be very useful.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:00 AM   #12
Tobbe

Quote:
Cool. Thanks! If it can load the samples and their midi/audio routing without the need for the front end on a saved project, that would still be very useful.
Doesn't seems to work. I can't anyway. Need more trial and error.
Old 11-28-2018, 04:00 AM   #13
eric71

I haven't played with it in more than a year, but I have used linuxsampler with the Qsampler frontend. In my experience with that, once sfz's were set up in Qsampler and the linuxsampler vst on tracks in reaper, I did not have to open qsampler again the next time I opened the project. I wasn't using any templates.
eric71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 04:55 AM   #14
MusicMan74

Maybe some info from my post back in the day might be of use...

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...45&postcount=4
MusicMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:49 AM   #15
Glennbo

Quote:
Doesn't seems to work. I can't anyway. Need more trial and error.
That's what I was afraid of. If you have to set things back up each time, it would be a real issue keeping a project consistent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric71 View Post
I haven't played with it in more than a year, but I have used linuxsampler with the Qsampler frontend. In my experience with that, once sfz's were set up in Qsampler and the linuxsampler vst on tracks in reaper, I did not have to open qsampler again the next time I opened the project. I wasn't using any templates.
Was this in Linux or Windows? I'd be using it in Linux to replace a couple Windows plugins (sforzando and Phenome) that are currently running in Wine and being bridged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicMan74 View Post
Maybe some info from my post back in the day might be of use...

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...45&postcount=4
You were using this in Windows, correct? Have you ever used it in Linux?
Old 11-28-2018, 10:01 AM   #16
MusicMan74

Quote:
You were using this in Windows, correct? Have you ever used it in Linux?
No, I have no experience with LinuxSampler under Linux...

Have you tried SFZero as an SFZ playback alternative?

https://github.com/osxmidi/SFZero
MusicMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 11:33 AM   #17
Glennbo

Quote:

Thanks, I didn't know about that one, but will give it a try.
Old 11-28-2018, 02:43 PM   #18
Drumfix

The linux sampler fantasia gui will open when it's jar file is installed into /usr/local/share/java
Drumfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 04:47 PM   #19
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumfix View Post
The linux sampler fantasia gui will open when it's jar file is installed into /usr/local/share/java
If you save a project in REAPER with say five instruments loaded in Linux Sampler, will they load and be properly mapped the next time you start your machine from stone cold and fire up REAPER?
Old 11-28-2018, 06:36 PM   #20
reddiesel41264

If you want to play SFZ in GNU/Linux then use Carla. It makes use of SFZero. But it is very limited in the opcodes it supports. You can always use the Sforzando player in Wine via LinVst but obviously that's not free software.

If you want to make your own libraries then use HISE which runs natively. And I've also released a woodwind library built with HISE, available at https://librewave.com.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:19 PM   #21
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddiesel41264 View Post
If you want to play SFZ in GNU/Linux then use Carla. It makes use of SFZero. But it is very limited in the opcodes it supports. You can always use the Sforzando player in Wine via LinVst but obviously that's not free software.

If you want to make your own libraries then use HISE which runs natively. And I've also released a woodwind library built with HISE, available at https://librewave.com.
Using Sforzando player in Wine via LinVst is free.

https://www.plogue.com/products/sforzando.html

It's one of the two Windows plugins I'm using currently for that kind of content. The other I use is Phenome, which is a multi-channel soundfont player, where you can have 16 midi channels of input to one VSTi, but it is limited to SF2 files.

The biggest draw for me with Linux Sampler was number one, that it's native Linux, and two that it can read GigaSampler, SF2, and SFZ files, so one plugin could handle three formats of sampled files and do it all as a single native Linux plugin.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:40 PM   #22
osxmidi

Quote:

SFZero is due for an update soon that will have more opcodes, a LFO for vibrato, tremolo, filter opcodes etc and more complete midi CC etc and hopefully will be able to handle #include files and #defines etc.

I've already added a few opcodes for round robin etc that can be good for drums etc used in a similar way to the sfz files at https://github.com/endolith/TMKD-SFZ which randomize round robins and http://www.sfzformat.com/index.php?title=Drum_basics

I've seen some strange values that go past the value limits or are just not going to work very well, in some sfz files that are around.

Some strange mappings as well.

Salamader drums have the crash1 mapped to a bell.

Last edited by osxmidi; 11-29-2018 at 02:53 AM.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:30 AM   #23
Tobbe

Quote:
Done that, but Fantasia doesn't pop up when I load Linuxsampler in Reaper. Anything else I need to do? Rebooted after I copied Fantasia-0.9.jar to /usr/local/share/java.
Attached Images
File Type: png fantasia.png (3.7 KB, 205 views)
Old 11-29-2018, 03:53 AM   #24
reddiesel41264

Quote:
Using Sforzando player in Wine via LinVst is free.
Sorry, I meant free as in freedom, not as in freeware.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:54 AM   #25
reddiesel41264

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxmidi View Post
SFZero is due for an update soon that will have more opcodes, a LFO for vibrato, tremolo, filter opcodes etc and more complete midi CC etc and hopefully will be able to handle #include files and #defines etc.

I've already added a few opcodes for round robin etc that can be good for drums etc used in a similar way to the sfz files at https://github.com/endolith/TMKD-SFZ which randomize round robins and http://www.sfzformat.com/index.php?title=Drum_basics

I've seen some strange values that go past the value limits or are just not going to work very well, in some sfz files that are around.

Some strange mappings as well.

Salamader drums have the crash1 mapped to a bell.
And disk streaming?
Old 11-29-2018, 09:54 AM   #26
Glennbo

Quote:
Sorry, I meant free as in freedom, not as in freeware.
Ahh, as in free from Windows. I get it now.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:33 PM   #27
Drumfix

For Fantasia: Java (or openjdk) must be installed.
And one may have to press the gui button in reapers plugin window to open the fantasia gui.

The window then displays all loaded plugin instances as "channel".
And the instances with their loaded program are certainly saved when you save your reaper session.
Drumfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 02:45 PM   #28
Tobbe

Quote:
For Fantasia: Java (or openjdk) must be installed.
And one may have to press the gui button in reapers plugin window to open the fantasia gui.

The window then displays all loaded plugin instances as "channel".
And the instances with their loaded program are certainly saved when you save your reaper session.
Doesn't work for me, and I have Java installed already because I start Fantasia manually. When I click on UI button in Reaper (FX windows), nothing happens.

I have: openjdk version "1.8.0_181"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_181-8u181-b13-2~deb9u1-b13)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.181-b13, mixed mode)
Attached Images
File Type: png LS.png (4.1 KB, 215 views)
Old 11-30-2018, 01:09 PM   #29
audiojunkie

Quote:

Does SFZero have DFD support? If not, that could be a problem. I use LinuxSampler as my Sample Player (like a Open Source Kontakt). With DFD, it is capable of monstrously large sample sets. Check out the SMM Drumkit: https://smmdrums.wordpress.com/for-sfz-sforzando/ This is the size that I'm talking about. DrumDrops.com has more drum kits too. ImpactSoundworks has Shreddgage in SFZ and Shreddage Bass: Picked Edition in SFZ. Each of these examples are in the 1-3GB range. This is the beauty of LinuxSampler. I'd sure like to find another DFD supported sampler for Linux.
audiojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 01:13 PM   #30
audiojunkie

Quote:
And disk streaming?
Yes, Please! :-)
audiojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 01:58 PM   #31
reddiesel41264

There is a fork of SFZero that has disk streaming but I don't think it's Osxmidi's so it would need to be added.
Old 12-01-2018, 04:13 AM   #32
osxmidi

Yes I have the disk streaming version in a branch that I've added some opcodes to.

https://github.com/osxmidi/SFZero/releases

https://github.com/osxmidi/SFZeroMod...Disk-Streaming

It's due for an update pretty soon.

In the disk streaming release binary there are details on how to set the streaming buffer size using an environmental variable.

Last edited by osxmidi; 12-01-2018 at 04:18 AM.