Old 09-04-2006, 12:55 PM   #1
Dstruct
Human being with feelings

Default Waveform edit-view

justin, what about a button/option to switch a track into a 'edit' view which would center its display when zooming vertically (like the edit-view in cooledit/audition)? track always uses the whole window and the waveform get's zoomed instead the track ...
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 07:06 PM   #2
Art Evans
Mortal

Select the track of interest, ctrl/mousewheel in the track control panel. Or press the ~ key and the selected track will be displayed full height.
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 07:34 PM   #3
Dstruct

but with only one track this looks bad, because this always zooms the bottom of the track up- and downwards and not centered (vertically) ...

additionally a 'itemless' view would be great in this mode -> just displaying the single waveform (to give reaper the look and behaviour of a classic waveeditor) ...
Old 09-04-2006, 08:04 PM   #4
Art Evans
Mortal

Here, pressing the ~ key gives me a pretty good stereo editor display.... I suspect I'm not quite getting your point - my fault.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:32 PM   #5
chip mcdonald

I think what he means is...

..it would be cool if there was a mode where, once one track was displayed full screen, you didn't have to think about what certain things were doing to the rest of the mix.

For instance, selecting a loop section to cut out, or move. Yeah, I know there's keystroke madness to do this, but I'm wishing there was the "edit view" ala CEP/Audition as well. Essentially a way to do discrete track editing without fear of reaper...cussions... to the rest of the mix.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:39 AM   #6
Art Evans
Mortal

In other words, the ability to lock all tracks as we have at present, then except the selected track from that.

Interesting idea, though I'm not convinced it's what was originally being discussed.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:04 AM   #7
Dstruct

i don't wanna lock any channel. i just need a better single waveform edit-mode and display:

- larger zoom-range (whole headroom-range vertically and whole sample-range horizontally)
- vertically dB-scale shown at the right

and such things ...
Old 09-05-2006, 06:04 PM   #8
chip mcdonald

Hmm.

I don't care about the db scale or anything like that, BUT...

I miss CEP's edit window because when I used the mouse, [i]I could relax knowing I'm only going to affect the wav being displayed.

The screen won't move around, I can't inadvertantly click "off screen", I won't accidentally select 24 tracks to copy, etc. etc..

It would be great to have the functionality of the "edit window" of CEP, but non-destructive.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:50 PM   #9
Art Evans
Mortal

You'll have to describe what you have in mind more clearly, Chip.

You want to double-click (or whatever)on an item in your project and have a window open up containing just that item as it stands?

Or should it contain an item representing the whole of the file from which that item comes?

Then, what do you want to do with the item in this editor window?

When you've done, what should happen when you close the editor window? Should the original item be replaced by the item from the editor window? And how? Or would you render the item in the editor window and replace the original item with that?

If you can, spell it out a bit.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:32 PM   #10
chip mcdonald

When you double click, it asks for an external editor...

Which, if there was a non-destructive "editor" like CEP that would be cool.. what I want is:

To give focus to a single track;

Switch the loop to designating just an area on said track;

..So I could then either copy/cut selection...

..and then paste it back.

Without disturbing other tracks, and without having to select the loop from away from the track; I want to just left click>drag to select what I want to copy, then just left click to select where it goes, then right click "paste" it...
Old 09-06-2006, 05:46 PM   #11
Art Evans
Mortal

Well.... with a bit of thought you can now set up something quite like that using the keyboard shortcuts and ReaperScript DIY to send the necessary sequences.

For instance, if you set up the character "C" to "Track: Copy selected tracks", then in ReaperScript DIY (hereafter RSDIY) you set up (say) F12 to send the following command string -

{click}c^!n

That will copy the track currently beneath the cursor (but see footnote) and spawn a new instance of Reaper.

Now ideally the command string for F12 would continue to do the next steps, but unfortunately it will send the commands too fast for Reaper to keep up - also, when you spawn a new instance, you are likely to encounter error messages such as one warning you that the midi device is already in use - so at this point you'll have to clear those messages by hand.

Now in RSDIY, have F11 (say) send this command string -

^v~+l{tab}{space}{tab}{space}{esc}l

That will paste in the track you copied from the original project, and will apply full track lock.

Now you can highlight the bit you want to copy, doing so on top of the locked item.

Now have F10 send the following command string in RSDIY -

l^+c^qn

which unlocks, copies the area you highlighted, and quits the project without saving, returning you to the original project.

In that project, click at the point you want to insert the bit you copied, and have F9 send the following command string in RSDIY -

s^2^v^1

which splits the item at the current location, switched on "ripple one track", inserts, and switches off ripple again (but note that you must have ctrl/2 set up for "ripple on one track" and ctrl/0 set up for "ripple off" in the keyboard shortcuts.

This is the work of not many moments to think through and set up, and if it's something you really need all the time, it's a pretty effective way of doing it. However, I'm perhaps more pointing out the possibilities now offered by configurable keyboard shortcuts, coupled with scripting, than necessarily offering this as a complete solution.

Footnote about selecting - in researching the above I came across a bug which I'll report in the appropriate forum, but briefly, if you click on an item and you hit its item volume line rather than the open space in the item, the item gets selected but the track does not. I think there may be some similar issues relating to clicking on envelopes. Whether this explains some of the problems you have reported where stuff happens on unexpected tracks I don't know, but it's possible.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:51 PM   #12
chip mcdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Evans
the character "C" to "Track: Copy selected tracks", DIY (hereafter RSDIY) you set up (say) F12 to send {click}c^!n beneath the cursor (but see footnote) and spawn string for F12 would continue to do the next steps, but unfortunately - also, when you spawn RSDIY, have F11 (say) v~+l{tab}{space}{tab}{space}{esc}l Now have F10 send RSDIY - l^+c^qn which unlocks, copies the area you highlighted, In that project, click at the point you want to insert the bit you copied, and have F9 send the following command string in RSDIY - s^2^v^1 which splits the you must have ctrl/2 set up for "ripple on one track" and ctrl/0 set up for "ripple off" in the keyboard shortcuts.
Welllll... I don't think I need that feature quite THAT bad... for that matter, I'm not sure if I need *anything* that bad...

Art, Art... I'm sorry, despite an affinity for CEP there is a yawning, vastly gaping chasm labeled "to ardently use keystrokes or not?" between us... <g>

I think it would be.... significantly.... a little bit... easier .... if one could

1) left click>make selection
2) left click again for insert point
3) right click>paste

<g>

Or get really fancy, zany even and have step:

1.5) right click selects "copy/cut"

(and not have to worry about disturbing anything else except the selected track)
Old 09-06-2006, 08:30 PM   #13
Art Evans
Mortal

You can program the middle mouse button to do an insert paste in ReaperScript....
Old 09-06-2006, 10:51 PM   #14
chip mcdonald

Ahrggh. <g>

Another thing:

I like having the screen space dedicated to the wav when in "edit mode". Just used CEP tonight for some quick editing, because there just wasn't an easier way in Reaper - and noticed how I like the left side of the screen being "less busy"..

Oh well.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:28 AM   #15
Art Evans
Mortal

Drag the vertical divider between the tracks and the controls all the way to the left, press "~", and it's not so busy any more.

I think way back it was suggested that "hide track controls" would be a handy option - might be worth mentioning that again? In the present design, that would also mean hiding the icons above the track controls, though. Is there a technical reason whether those could not appear to the right of the menus, in all that unused space there? Maybe Windows doesn't allow that.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:53 AM   #16
Dstruct

Quote:
Drag the vertical divider between the tracks and the controls all the way to the left, press "~", and it's not so busy any more.
for justin: this shortcut is non-working and pretty useless as default on a german keyboard

~ is in fact ALTGR+~ on it (same key as +)

i know i can assign it to another key, but at least the default config shouldn't have such non-working assignments!
Old 09-07-2006, 05:50 AM   #17
doclike

Default ...

Thats why I use Audition for Single wave editing.
But right now its not very comfortable. Double klicking on a waveform should open the editor, like mentioned before. I think it should be destructive/non-destructive. F.E. When u close the waveform you should be asked, wether to replace the existing file, or sort of copying the file.

I used to use it a lot in Audition. So it would be great to have this in Reaper.

The biggest + is, that you can't accidently change settings to other Tracks in the project.

doc
doclike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 07:12 AM   #18
olzzon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandruff
for justin: this shortcut is non-working and pretty useless as default on a german keyboard

~ is in fact ALTGR+~ on it (same key as +)

i know i can assign it to another key, but at least the default config shouldn't have such non-working assignments!
Dandruff, if you have the time, you could make a german version of the shortcuts. Iīm pretty shure that if you only change the ones that are different, from the US keyboard, itīcould probably be used as an EU shortcut template. Since itīs only the special signs that are different.
Having a US keyboard at the studio, i clearly see why alot of the shortcuts are place where they are. But on a danish and probably also a german, this donīt work very well and has no logic.

If you have changed some of the stuff, you could join with the other germans on this forum and discuss and template that would work for you all, and that is as close as possible to the US one.

As i donīt use DK keys for reaper i donīt have any experience. But if other danes show up, iīll gladly do the same for DK keys.

And if they work out well, then maybe they could be distributed with reaper.

Last edited by olzzon; 09-07-2006 at 07:15 AM.
olzzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 07:14 AM   #19
olzzon

The reason iīm thinking of this is that it would be very hard for justin to buy keyboards from all countrys to do this.
Though i really would like to watch him, while he was doing a chinese shortcut list
Old 09-07-2006, 07:43 AM   #20
Dstruct

i don't think that such implementation need the physical keyboard(s)! i'm pretty sure this is documented somewhere (doesn't windows itself provides help/function for this language related conversion?)

your suggestion is (just) a workaround. i would prefer a real solution for this:

reaper detects windows with german keyboard => and shows (converts to) the proper shortcuts. so here it should show ALTGR+~ in the shortcut list ...
Old 09-07-2006, 08:07 AM   #21
olzzon

Quote:
i don't think that such implementation need the physical keyboard(s)! i'm pretty sure this is documented somewhere (doesn't windows itself provides help/function for this language related conversion?)

your suggestion is (just) a workaround. i would prefer a real solution for this:

reaper detects windows with german keyboard => and shows (converts to) the proper shortcuts. so here it should show ALTGR+~ in the shortcut list ...
What ever.
I didnīt think of this as a workaround.
But iīm quite sure, that youīd complain of some of the key placements then.
My thought was, that instead of doing so, the germans would be better of deciding, how the keys would be best on their keyboards.
On a German keyboard the ö and ä are where the [] are and the {} are at Ö and Ä. And this is a nice place to have these, when working fast. And then they would be placed physically the same place as on a US keyboard.
Hareīs a link for those who havenīt got a german one:
http://carbon.cudenver.edu/~tphillip...ardLayout.html

That was at least my thoughts about it.
And i wouldnīt have problem manually loading a language version of the shortcuts.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:45 AM   #22
Dstruct

of course i'll do my own assignment(s), but at least all default shortcuts should WORK and DISPLAY the correct keys (so "ALTGR+~" or "+" in this german example) on any keyboard ...
Old 09-07-2006, 08:46 AM   #23
Dstruct

and we're totally offtopic now
Old 09-07-2006, 11:22 AM   #24
chip mcdonald

Quote:

I think way back it was suggested that "hide track controls" would be a handy option -
Yes, I know both things....

I want an *integrated* solution, I don't want to have to do all of this "stuff" everytime.

If someone could just recommend a rudimentary editor that plays nice with Reaper....
Old 09-07-2006, 11:25 AM   #25
Defenestration

I am a bit of a noob when it comes to using audio-related software and have only recently become aware of REAPER which, on first impressions, seems excellent. One of my first questions was going to be "Can REAPER replace an audio waveform editor like Audacity ?"

When I first checked out REAPER, it was not obvious to me that it could be used as a waveform editor. I then came across this thread which seemed to be asking for what I'm after (ie. a "normal" audio waveform editor like Audacity, NGWave, GoldWave etc).

I currently have basic needs for my waveform editing of which a few are:

- Cut/Copy/Paste
- Add multiple marker points to my DJ mixes at the point where each track is mixed into the next (it should be possible to snap the cursor/marker to CD frames so no pop is heard between tracks when the tracks are exported to separate WAV files and burnt to CD). It should then be possible to export each marker to a separate WAV file in one operation.
- Snap cursor to CD frames
- Peak level Normalization
- ReplayGain normalization
- ability to show volume levels of current cursor position which is dynamically updated as the cursor is moved. Very useful when doing selections.
- Ability to join multiple files together in a single operation.
- Ability to remove trim all silences from the current selection. For example, suppose I joined multiple files together but there were 1 second silences at each join. I want to be able to make a selection containing all silences, and then use a feature to remove only the silences. It should be possible to customize the level and length that constitutes a silence.

It would be great if an easy-to-use yet powerful standalone (as in window) waveform editor could make it into REAPER.

BTW, does REAPER have a crash protection feature similar to what NGWave has, so that if the power goes off during an editing session nothing is lost ?

Last edited by Defenestration; 09-07-2006 at 11:47 AM.
Defenestration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 03:13 PM   #26
olzzon

Quote:
of course i'll do my own assignment(s), but at least all default shortcuts should WORK and DISPLAY the correct keys (so "ALTGR+~" or "+" in this german example) on any keyboard ...
Under tips and tricks thereīs a german layout for you.
Donīt know if youīll like it.
The layout is as on the US keyboard.