Old 03-17-2018, 12:02 PM   #1
Ice
Human being with feelings

Default Video Compare overlay?

Recent changes in Vordio have made conforming from AVID EDL's very do-able for us. I just did a conform of a project and brought in the new picture to check sync and it was fantastic.

One great feature Reaper allows us over Pro Tools is to switch video tracks during playback for comparison. And doing this I found some pretty major visual effects updates that I would've missed. The shot was the same, but some VFX had been digitally overlayed onto the old footage in the new version.

However if I hadn't been toggling between video tracks I still would've missed it, which leads me to the actual request.

Conformalizer has a great feature that basically overlays two quicktime movies (the old and new versions of a reel) and shows us any differences in the video. Any differences between the two frames shows up as white. If there are no differences, the image is black. So in the above example, if I had played down the reel, the new VFX would've shown up as white letting me know there was something different between otherwise identical frames. He's also got a slider for intensity. Here is an example of this compare in use:

https://youtu.be/FW1yfnFglBc?t=3m43s

I'd love to see some way of visualizing these differences in Reaper in the same way. I could then conform a project, bring in the new picture on a second track, and watch the reel down at 2 or 3x speed and spot any picture differences very easily.

If VFX shots were labeled consistently we could find these in EDLs, but most often they're not and we have to find these things by hand/eye.
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 01:47 PM   #2
ashcat_lt

Copy this into a blank video processor preset and hit Ctrl-S to save it. Put it on which track you've got set up to be the top layer. I can't claim to understand the code itself. I just hacked this out of the Image Overlay preset, took out all the user controls and hard coded it to invert the one image and then add it to the other.

Code:
//image subtract

img1=input_track(0);
img2=0;
!project_wh_valid && input_info(img1,w,h) ? ( project_w=w; project_h=h; );

gfx_blit(img1,0);

img2 != img1  ? (
  gfx_a = -1;

gfx_mode = 1;
    oldcs=colorspace;
    use_srca ? colorspace='RGBA';
    z = 10^(zoom/10);
    input_info(img2,sw,sh);
    dw = (project_w*z)|0;
    dh = (sh*project_w/sw*z)|0;
    x = xoffs<-1 ? (1+xoffs)*dw : xoffs > 1 ? project_w+(xoffs-2)*dw : ((xoffs+1)*(project_w-dw))*0.5;
    y = yoffs<-1 ? (1+yoffs)*dh : yoffs > 1 ? project_h+(yoffs-2)*dh : ((yoffs+1)*(project_h-dh))*0.5;
    gfx_blit(img2,0, x|0,y|0,dw,dh);
    restore_cs && oldcs != colorspace ? ( colorspace=oldcs; gfx_fillrect(0,0,0,0); );
  );
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 06:29 PM   #3
Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
Copy this into a blank video processor preset and hit Ctrl-S to save it. Put it on which track you've got set up to be the top layer. I can't claim to understand the code itself. I just hacked this out of the Image Overlay preset, took out all the user controls and hard coded it to invert the one image and then add it to the other.

Code:
//image subtract

img1=input_track(0);
img2=0;
!project_wh_valid && input_info(img1,w,h) ? ( project_w=w; project_h=h; );

gfx_blit(img1,0);

img2 != img1  ? (
  gfx_a = -1;

gfx_mode = 1;
    oldcs=colorspace;
    use_srca ? colorspace='RGBA';
    z = 10^(zoom/10);
    input_info(img2,sw,sh);
    dw = (project_w*z)|0;
    dh = (sh*project_w/sw*z)|0;
    x = xoffs<-1 ? (1+xoffs)*dw : xoffs > 1 ? project_w+(xoffs-2)*dw : ((xoffs+1)*(project_w-dw))*0.5;
    y = yoffs<-1 ? (1+yoffs)*dh : yoffs > 1 ? project_h+(yoffs-2)*dh : ((yoffs+1)*(project_h-dh))*0.5;
    gfx_blit(img2,0, x|0,y|0,dw,dh);
    restore_cs && oldcs != colorspace ? ( colorspace=oldcs; gfx_fillrect(0,0,0,0); );
  );
Unreal!!!

This works! Its a "color" version but thats perfectly fine and possibly better!

FWIW I had to put this "effect" on the bottom track to see the results.

So for me I put:

1) Latest version of picture on the top track (so when I turn this OFF I'm actually looking at the most recent version of picture = important)
2) older version of picture + this video effect on the track directly below.

To turn the visual effect OFF its just a toggle off of the "Video Processor" effect.

By now I should't be surprised that the feature I'm requesting already exists, but I am!

Just wow! Thank you ashcat_lt!
Old 03-17-2018, 06:37 PM   #4
Ice

Hold the phone here - there's something going on here where I don't know what I'm doing. This is the first time I've seen this, but at times now in my session, the BOTTOM video track takes precedence even when there is video on both the top and bottom tracks at the same time/frame. Every other time that I've messed around with multiple video tracks in the same project the top track has taken priority (or so I thought!).

How do I set up a "video" track as the MAIN PRIORITY?
Old 03-18-2018, 04:17 AM   #5
nofish

Project settings -> 'Video' tab -> Video item visibility
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 07:46 AM   #6
Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Project settings -> 'Video' tab -> Video item visibility
Perfect thanks!
Old 03-18-2018, 01:19 PM   #7
X-Raym

Can you post a screenshot of this can help users to reproduce the workflow and see the concept behind this ?
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 01:55 PM   #8
Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
Can you post a screenshot of this can help users to reproduce the workflow and see the concept behind this ?
I currently only have video that displays this difference view that I can't share due to NDA.

However here is a close version, taken from that Conformalizer video displaying its difference view:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/orqp1yjkh7...0View.png?dl=0

Anything showing up as white, is actually a difference between the two picture versions. If there were no picture differences, the entire screen would just be gray. This makes picture differences stick out like a sore thumb.

In my case in one shot (which I wish I could show but can't) there were two digitally inserted objects that move across the screen in which would otherwise be an identical shot to the previous version of picture.

Here is a screenshot of my Reaper project/session video tracks.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3skhfarsft...20PIX.png?dl=0

The top track has the most recent version of picture AND this video processor setting in its effect rack.

The bottom track has the older version of picture that has been conformed (using Vordio) to be in sync with the most recent version, at least where possible. There are new shots added to the new version which accounts for the gaps in the items.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:09 PM   #9
X-Raym

@Ice
I see. thanks !
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 03:51 PM   #10
EpicSounds

Thanks for this code @Ashcat.

@xraym here's how it looks with same video on each track with 1 frame offset.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:17 AM   #11
akademie

Nice! :-)
But why it gives two different results when you exchange pic0 and pic1(edited) on Track1 vs Track2 ?? Shouldn't be difference "absolute"?
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:08 PM   #12
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie View Post
Nice! :-)
But why it gives two different results when you exchange pic0 and pic1(edited) on Track1 vs Track2 ?? Shouldn't be difference "absolute"?
The output of a additive blend with a negative alpha is a-b, not abs(a-b).

There are some undocumented blend modes, 17 and 18, which do additive but have an offset, which could let you do something better...

Code:
gfx_mode=17; // output = (dest+src*gfx_a)*.5 + .5
gfx_mode=18; // output = dest+(src-0.5)*gfx_a*2.0
I added those modes originally to make this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2Cw7V-iyt8 (I recorded multiple videos, subtract the base image from each, then add them all back to the base image).

Last edited by Justin; 03-23-2018 at 08:16 PM.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:24 AM   #13
ashcat_lt

Justin - It sure would be nice if those modes were documented a little better. What else have you got hiding out there? How hard would it be to add an absolute difference mode?
Old 03-24-2018, 08:44 AM   #14
EpicSounds

is there a lighten blending mode?
and a simple way to invert color?

There are a few video effects and transitions I'd like to use but can't without those.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:20 AM   #15
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
and a simple way to invert color?
Does setting alpha to -1 not do what you want there? If there's no preset that does it, it would be reasonably easy to hack one together.
Old 03-24-2018, 02:22 PM   #16
EpicSounds

Quote:
Does setting alpha to -1 not do what you want there? If there's no preset that does it, it would be reasonably easy to hack one together.
probably, depending on the mode. I have one but it kills the framerate and without a lighten blending mode I can't finish the trick.

My main purpose would be for layering handwritten text (white paper, black marker) on a video. Invert so white becomes black, lighten blend mode makes the black disappear leaving just white text and the video beneath.
Old 03-24-2018, 03:08 PM   #17
ashcat_lt

TBH, I'm doing most of my more detailed video work in HitFilm nowadays pretty specifically because it has all the merge modes that I'm used to in photo editors. Even the free version has a lot of great filters and functions, and the add ons are pretty cheap. I really wanted to stick with Reaper, but it just doesn't do what I want to do with video anywhere near as well.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:08 AM   #18
EpicSounds

Simple Invert color code

//Invert Color
src=0;

input_info(src,w,h) ? ( project_w=w; project_h=h; ); // preserve input dimensions
gfx_blit(src);
gfx_set(1,1,1,-1,0x80003);
gfx_mode=19;
colorspace == 'RGBA' ? colorspace='YV12';
gfx_fillrect(0,0,project_w,project_h);

-----

used on a track it will invert all layers below
used on a video item it will invert only that item
used on an empty MIDI item above other items it will invert all layers for length of item.
You can use built-in "Item fades affect video" after to transition, bit ugly though.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:44 AM   #19
ashcat_lt

WTF does mode 19 do?!?
Old 03-28-2018, 12:17 PM   #20
EpicSounds

Quote:
WTF does mode 19 do?!?
from the new help text

19 = absolute difference: abs(dest-src)*gfx_a (only valid when using YUV colorspaces)

It was a lot of trial and error, had to invert my monitor colors, then tweak the code until the video looked normal again.

---

I figured out a screen/lighten blend, not exactly sure which it is. Works for the handwritten text thing I wanted to do and some other stuff (see video).

// JT: lighten/screen overlay
// black is removed. use after inverting color

img1=0;
img2=input_track(0);
gfx_blit(img2);

gfx_mode = 1;
gfx_blit(img1,0);

https://youtu.be/d1glGtT5pww

Old 03-28-2018, 02:23 PM   #21
Justin
Administrator

You don't need mode 19 to invert, could do (also works in 5.78 etc):

Code:
input=0;
input_info(input,w,h)==0 ? ( w=project_w;h=project_h; );
gfx_img_resize(-1,w,h);
gfx_set(1);
gfx_fillrect(0,0,w,h);
gfx_mode=1; // additive
gfx_a=-1; // subtract
gfx_blit(input, 0);
Or, better yet -- take the "cheap brightness/contrast" preset, change the "contrast big" to -1, and the "saturation-ish" to -1, and that's exactly the same! (though it uses slightly more CPU...)

Last edited by Justin; 03-28-2018 at 02:34 PM.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 03:14 PM   #22
EpicSounds

[QUOTE=Justin;1972381]You don't need mode 19 to invert, could do (also works in 5.78 etc):

Code:
input=0;
input_info(input,w,h)==0 ? ( w=project_w;h=project_h; );
gfx_img_resize(-1,w,h);
gfx_set(1);
gfx_fillrect(0,0,w,h);
gfx_mode=1; // additive
gfx_a=-1; // subtract
gfx_blit(input, 0);
cool. add that to the presets

Quote:
Or, better yet -- take the "cheap brightness/contrast" preset, change the "contrast big" to -1, and the "saturation-ish" to -1, and that's exactly the same! (though it uses slightly more CPU...)
nah that's a bit too fiddly.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:23 PM   #23
plush2

Using this subtraction method in conjunction with the 2x2 matrix processor preset would allow for source, destination, DAW timecode and image subtraction in quadrants on the screen. To me this would give pretty much all necessary information for a quick conform.

I used a simplified version of such a setup (video A in quadrant 1:1, video B in quadrant 2:2) in Reaper a few years ago to conform some 5.1 upmixes I was doing that required different commercial break specifications than the original stereo broadcasts. It was much easier doing side by side comparison than viewing consecutively.
plush2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 08:04 PM   #24
akademie

Hi Justin,
thank you for explanation. Helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
The output of a additive blend with a negative alpha is a-b, not abs(a-b).

There are some undocumented blend modes, 17 and 18, which do additive but have an offset, which could let you do something better...

Code:
gfx_mode=17; // output = (dest+src*gfx_a)*.5 + .5
gfx_mode=18; // output = dest+(src-0.5)*gfx_a*2.0
I added those modes originally to make this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2Cw7V-iyt8 (I recorded multiple videos, subtract the base image from each, then add them all back to the base image).
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 01:59 PM   #25
Ice

Does anyone know how to simply turn the video from color to black & white?

What I would like to do is have a separate instance of the video processor that turns the video to black & white, after this process is performed as mentioned above.

Then I can toggle black & white on and off as desired.

Last edited by Ice; 04-10-2018 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:20 PM   #26
ashcat_lt

Any preset with a Saturation control that will go to 0.

First one that comes to mind is Reaper Blog's (EpicSounds) Essential Color Controls

About 4 mins into this video:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t5ur_JDbqQM
Old 04-13-2018, 08:08 AM   #27
svijayrathinam

This is a great feature for tracking VFX...!!! Amazing..It has literally saved me a whole lot of time..I tracked VFX for a feature film in just under half hour !!!! Amazing you guys..I love Reaper !!
svijayrathinam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:52 AM   #28
Ice

Quote:
Any preset with a Saturation control that will go to 0.

First one that comes to mind is Reaper Blog's (EpicSounds) Essential Color Controls

About 4 mins into this video:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t5ur_JDbqQM
Got it thanks!
Old 04-13-2018, 08:56 AM   #29
Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by svijayrathinam View Post
This is a great feature for tracking VFX...!!! Amazing..It has literally saved me a whole lot of time..I tracked VFX for a feature film in just under half hour !!!! Amazing you guys..I love Reaper !!
Cool!!!

I've started exporting quicktime video files for entire reels that are the full difference view. Then the whole crew can view the differences at their leisure, or in other DAW's.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:04 AM   #30
svijayrathinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
Cool!!!

I've started exporting quicktime video files for entire reels that are the full difference view. Then the whole crew can view the differences at their leisure, or in other DAW's.
Amazing!!! I actually started digging into reaper after seeing your tutorials ! I am a sound designer working in film post..and I can't thank you enough for doing that. I moved completely to reaper from protools after seeing your videos. With AATRANSLATOR.... Now I am using protools only as a delivery medium. I am also a huge fan of your work !! You are my inspiration. Thank you so much !!
Old 04-13-2018, 09:36 AM   #31
Ice

Quote:
Amazing!!! I actually started digging into reaper after seeing your tutorials ! I am a sound designer working in film post..and I can't thank you enough for doing that. I moved completely to reaper from protools after seeing your videos. With AATRANSLATOR.... Now I am using protools only as a delivery medium. I am also a huge fan of your work !! You are my inspiration. Thank you so much !!
Very kind!!

I wish I could stay in Reaper but I can't. 99% of my design is done in it though.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:51 AM   #32
svijayrathinam

Quote:
Very kind!!

I wish I could stay in Reaper but I can't. 99% of my design is done in it though.
Pls try AATranslator. A lot of automation data can now be transferred to PT..I still have to deliver PT sessions to the mix stage and I am using the following method..

https://youtu.be/cz2mKlQ4B7Y

Check that video where I show how I do it. That maybe of some use to you

Jon from the reaper blog made that video with me..��
Old 04-13-2018, 10:58 AM   #33
Ice

Quote:
Pls try AATranslator. A lot of automation data can now be transferred to PT..I still have to deliver PT sessions to the mix stage and I am using the following method..

https://youtu.be/cz2mKlQ4B7Y

Check that video where I show how I do it. That maybe of some use to you

Jon from the reaper blog made that video with me..��
I have AAT. It works fine but by the time I do what I want using Reaper's unique tools, I have to commit too many things. I've tried editing in Reaper and sending to Pro Tools and its just not worth it the way I like to send things to the mix.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:00 AM   #34
svijayrathinam

Quote:
I have AAT. It works fine but by the time I do what I want using Reaper's unique tools, I have to commit too many things. I've tried editing in Reaper and sending to Pro Tools and its just not worth it the way I like to send things to the mix.
Mmm.. So how are you taking it to PT now ? I am very curious
Old 04-13-2018, 11:08 AM   #35
Ice

Quote:
Mmm.. So how are you taking it to PT now ? I am very curious
I still cut mostly in PT. Design elements with Reaper and cut in PT.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:10 AM   #36
svijayrathinam

Quote:
I still cut mostly in PT. Design elements with Reaper and cut in PT.
So .. You export things as wav and import them in PT?

P.S: I sent you a message in your Facebook...
Old 04-13-2018, 11:28 AM   #37
Ice

Quote:
So .. You export things as wav and import them in PT?

P.S: I sent you a message in your Facebook...
I think you might have me mixed up with someone else. I don't see any FB messages.

But lets not get off the video overlay topic here. We could go on for a while!
Old 04-13-2018, 11:34 AM   #38
svijayrathinam

Quote:
I think you might have me mixed up with someone else. I don't see any FB messages.

But lets not get off the video overlay topic here. We could go on for a while!
Oh really? I thought you are David farmer... Sorry...😂😂
Old 04-13-2018, 11:54 AM   #39
Ice

Quote:
Oh really? I thought you are David farmer... Sorry...����
Thats correct - I see no FB messages though!
Old 04-13-2018, 12:11 PM   #40
svijayrathinam

Quote:
Thats correct - I see no FB messages though!
I am sure... I sent it to you... But anyway..I have PMed you in reaper forum.. Here